Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

Props at MegaCon?

The MegaCon props policy is confusing me a bit. The thing is, my brothers are going as Dark Link and Young Link and we've worked hard making swords and shields. They certainly won't be "brandishing" them and probably not even taking them out at all. The props are made of wood, foam, and cardboard, no metal. We've made sheats and strapping to keep them securely on their backs.

But, do they really have to carry their swords in a "bag" like the page says? Would it be okay for their swords just to stay in their sheaths?

Worst come to worst we can always take them back to the car, but it really completes the costume to have the swords and shields on their backs...

Last edited by Painapurru : 01-17-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Addittion of details
Painapurru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
NeonBunnyGirl
I fancy Poop.

they don't have to be in a bag at the actual convention, but they want you to have it in a bag when you are outside of the convention hall so you wont scare the 'normal' people into thinking it's real. We don't need anyone to panic, ya know?
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

Ah, I see I see. That's what I was thinking but administration type people can be really anal sometimes so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the clarification!
Unread 02-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Demon Doll
*~Blessed Be~*

I don't know how it all works but; even if the sword is fake..Maybe put a tie around it? So, even if it looks real, you won't be able to unsheathe(take out) it.
That's what I do at Ren. faire with my real sword. I stood in front of countless of cops with that sword tied up. Was never bugged about it. Only once they wanted to see if it was tied tight enough and it was. Unless you want to show off the sword inside; maybe make an easy tie-able and untieable binding??
-shrug-
Just an idea.

Costumes working on: American Dream & Dust <3

Cons
Comikaze Sat. only. Bethany Cabe(from iron man comics) and later in the day Dust(from x-men comics)(< Dropped due to unrest in the middle east)
Nuke the fridge con American Dream(if finished) Dust(if AD isn't finished)
Long Beach Comic Con (Maybe)
Cosplay FB page
Demon Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
dogwitch

yeah their odd. year by year about this stuff. like wooded swords are fine. like posing with it (bleach anime char)
dogwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Eyeofgod
Born in the USA!

I have never seen anyone get in trouble for having swords there, other than people who buy the real swords at the con and then just walk around with them like it is nothing, I have seen that the last 2 years I have gone to Mega.
Besides that, Mega is pretty loose when it comes to props. I had my airsoft M4, with orange tip on it and I was told by one of the staff that it was not allowed, yet I saw people walking around with tons of different types and no one person said anything. I still went in with my airsoft gun and it was totally fine.
Just as long as you are not being an idiot about the way you carry your weapon or swing it around or waving it, etc., You should just be fine!

Also the bag rule is mainly for outside of the con area coming to or leaving the con. It is just so that people outside the con don't freak out seeing someone with a weapon.
Eyeofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
funkyduckman
Duck Man

I was carrying a kids wooden bat around Friday and was told by one of the workers I was going to have to return it to my car immediately or I would be removed from the con

"Not like I think you're going to bash anyone's brains out, but technically you could"

I didn't give him any lip - cause it was Friday and I intended on staying - but I was a bit peeved for the rest of the day. Especially because I saw people with metal bats and really sharp props all weekend.
funkyduckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
dogwitch

yeah. i never listen to the people until i hear it from a higher up.
dogwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Akuzu

i made a sword for my first con no real genre to it twas a claymore made of wood but i painted it with shiny silver paint and made it look sharp i was asked constantly if it was real or not they even inspected it but as i have said it is wood but dam it looked real
Akuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

@funkyduckman
That really sucks :/ the guys ended up carrying their swords and shields all day outside of their sheaths without a hitch. You could tell they werent real but they probably could have done some damage to someone. Not as well as a bat, but you get the picture. Maybe it had to do with where you were hanging around? We were in the dealers hall almost the entire day, I don't think there are as many officials that care about props in there...
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
funkyduckman
Duck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painapurru View Post
@funkyduckman
That really sucks :/ the guys ended up carrying their swords and shields all day outside of their sheaths without a hitch. You could tell they werent real but they probably could have done some damage to someone. Not as well as a bat, but you get the picture. Maybe it had to do with where you were hanging around? We were in the dealers hall almost the entire day, I don't think there are as many officials that care about props in there...
I didn't think I was doing anything outta line. He stopped me right by the pikachu car after I had been in and out of the dealers room and all over for a few hours. I don't know. I love that I can find pictures of us throughout that day and know when they were taken because my poor bat is gone ;_;
funkyduckman is offline   Reply With Quote