Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Jacecam32

Fresh Start

Alrighty So I've Started working out again. Saturday was my first day in years being at a club. today was day 2. I've realized somethings.

A. I am not motivated enough to work out unless I am at a gym/club.
B. The only thing people care about when you are there is that you are there to sweat.
C. I am much stronger then I thought I was. (lets start with 50lbs.... Ok... Lets move to 50kg.. Much better)

So far I am doing good. Looking forward to going again. Sadly though I have NO idea what I am doing. I am kind just bouncing around from machine to machine. Kinda like a kid on a lonely playground by himself.
Jacecam32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Bovice

This vid, while not too incredibly detailed, should at least help with starting a foundation.

It's what got my gears going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7tWpPvnYA
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Jacecam32

alrighty. Its now the start of week 3. only missed one day so far on my 3 days a week schedule. Noticing minor changes. Like im able to job a bit now rather then just walk fast. also walking faster over all. I've been doing some work outs that I was told to in a consultation. They don't seem to give a burn or ache until like an hour after Im done. Kinda weird. but its a focus on my core.

Can anyone suggest other Core work outs I should try?
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
Bovice

Front squats and dead lifts
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
nikkiolie

^ and bench press, pull ups, and push ups. All of those pretty much hit every muscle in the body and give a good all over workout.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
Jacecam32

Yeah the routine i have has me doing push ups (sorta) on a yoga ball and on some hanging hand things. Sadly still too heavy and not enough arm strength to do pull ups. I know dead lifts work out your whole body. But I was hoping for some core specific ones.

I think I've figured out a bit of a regular rotation. Tuesday will be lower body.Thursday upper and Saturday will be core. Though I am still kinda wondering around the gym trying things and trying to not look like a retard D:
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Bovice

When I mentioned the two that I did, its they will hit your core harder than any amount of crunches or sit ups; etc.

Just because an exercise isolates the core, doesn't mean it's the best workout for the core.

But if you want core specific, but less effective than what I've already mentioned, then do crunches, sit ups, bicycle kicks; can hold onto a plate for resistance, etc. but imo it's an utter waste of time compared to front squats and dead lifts. Between those two, you're going to get more core in a shorter amount of time than all of what I've mentioned in this paragraph combined

Edit:

If your goal is core strength (being able to do shit like human flag), you'll want to specifically target core (but even then stuff like that isn't going to happen until your body fat comes down)

If you want visible abs, 6 pack, etc. and don't care about being Hannibal for king
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsTKfUT-RQ

then just focus on heavy compound lifts, and your third day would be better spent on cardio to get your body fat down, which is going to do a lot more for you in terms of abs than doing ab isolation ever will

Last edited by Bovice : 07-30-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
When I mentioned the two that I did, its they will hit your core harder than any amount of crunches or sit ups; etc.

Just because an exercise isolates the core, doesn't mean it's the best workout for the core.

But if you want core specific, but less effective than what I've already mentioned, then do crunches, sit ups, bicycle kicks; can hold onto a plate for resistance, etc. but imo it's an utter waste of time compared to front squats and dead lifts. Between those two, you're going to get more core in a shorter amount of time than all of what I've mentioned in this paragraph combined
I think there should be some dedicated core exercises programmed into even beginner workouts. People often underplay them, and how much they can help with everyday life. Sadly, crunches are not the answer.

Like Bovice said, deadlifts, and especially front squats are great for core. You can probably do a deadlift with a slack core, but you will end up injuring yourself down the line. You CANNOT do a front squat with a weak core, its simply impossible. The bar will fall off your shoulders when you slouch. Start light with both, learn good form.

For dedicated movements, I would recommend L sits and weighted hollow body holds. For a hollow body, hold some weight in your arms and in your feet, and then simply lift them up and hold, with only your but touching the ground. The closer to the ground you are without touching, the harder it is. This image should show you how its done.

If you are really keen on skill work, progress to handstands, dragon flags, back/front leavers, and finally flags.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Bovice

I personally just started with lighter weight front squats and worked my way up, but yea those would be great if you're having trouble with just the bar alone
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Jacecam32

whats the difference between a Squat and a front squat? (yes i am still green lol)
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Bovice

Center of gravity/what stabilizer muscles involved (the main muscle group is going to be legs on both, but front squats are going to be more taxing to the core)
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #12
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacecam32 View Post
whats the difference between a Squat and a front squat? (yes i am still green lol)
Bar on the front of shoulders, bar on the back.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Jacecam32

Ah thank you Arbite. I will give those a shot tomorrow. But like Bovice said the MAIN muscle group worked is the legs. I might move that work out to my leg day next week.
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #14
Bovice

If your leg workout isn't until next week, then you'll be fine doing it tomorrow (and then again on leg day).
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Jacecam32

I do one each week. I will try some today for sure but I probably wont be going all out. I'll stick to the Dead Bug and some of the other things I've been told focus on the core.