Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Is there an "age limit" on lolita fashion?

Since so much emphasis is placed on looking cute in lolita, I've been troubling... Is there an "age limit" in lolita? I mean, I'm 20, but I'm just thinking down the road... 'Cause that's a lot of cash to invest in clothes I'll "outgrow". =P

Basically, since lolita is such a strict fashion, would older lolis be frowned upon?

(Sorry if this has been brought up before; I searched and turned up nothing. XD)

Unread 02-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
LunaBell87

I am 24 and I am a OTT Sweet Lolita. (Dunno if I should talk though since I am always mistaken for a 12-14 year old, no matter what I wear XD)

I don't think their is an age limit for Lolita and I don't care or worry about what other Lolitas think or say. I wear Lolita for myself, not for them. So I am going to keep wearing it until/if I get tired of it. I also don't believe in switching styles just because you are older, I am not a fan of classic styles and I only like some Gothic outfits but I am mostly a OTT Sweet lover. So I am not going to wear more "mature" styles like classic just becuase I am older or whatever.

Also about looking cute, doesn't have to do with age. As I said, at 24, I get mistaken for a 12-14 year old. Yet I have seen and mistaken girls who were in their teens for someone in their 20's. Also there is makeup tricks to look "cute" and doll like.

Though in the end, just wear what you like no matter how old you get ,others should not stop you for doing something that makes you happy. Yes their might be others who say you are too old but they tend to be elitists and snobs, people worth ignoring.
LunaBell87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
sailormoonfan14

Nope, no limit! Everyone has their individual opinions, but don't let that stop you from wearing it! There are people on my comm from 12-40+! arscenicold_lace on livejournal has some great outfits, and she's an older lolita C: Though you don't see as many older lolitas wearing sweet, they tend to gradually move into more subdued gothic or classic styles ^^
sailormoonfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
skitch

I think it's still a matter of matching your body type and going all the way with the costume. Someone 40 could look better than someone 16 so long as they get the make-up correct and fit the style.

That said, a friend suggested I do lolita recently. I'm a guy, and whilst I did try a girly makeover, I do think I'm a bit too old (and too tall!) for lolita! (here's my makeover photo - what do you think?)
skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

It depends on your style. If you are worried about growing out of it later but still like lolita fashion, starting with Aristocratic style might help. It's more of an 'adult' lolita and any age can wear it. But you can do whatever style you want.

I'm 23 and I'm not really into the sweet lolita. I'm more gothic, ouji(boystyle), ero, and aristocratic and I can see myself wearing them when I'm older. It's just a matter of preference. If you adore the sweet loli I don't think it matters what age you are. If you love it, go for it.
Fionna the Human ~Adventure Time
pocky_penguin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Kaliza

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitch View Post
That said, a friend suggested I do lolita recently. I'm a guy, and whilst I did try a girly makeover, I do think I'm a bit too old (and too tall!) for lolita! (here's my makeover photo - what do you think?)
If you're tall you might have more trouble finding the right length of outfits, but I think it can be done. I saw a few tall guys pull off a pretty good lolita look when I was at a lolita panel last year at a convention.
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
ClassicRoyalty

This has been discussed many times before so no there is no such thing as "being too old".
As long as you look good and coordinate properly, you should have no problem.
ClassicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
~ashe~ffxii
Lady Ashe

I say wear it as long as you like unless your start to feel uncomfortable in it. Personally I've moved to more gothic and victorian clothing myself because I felt people weren't taking me seriously when it came to work and school but I can't stand to dress plain either. I'm 21 and still wearing corsets and plat form boots and I just started to wear wigs. Might as well have some fun with your style. ^-^
Saturday- Female Alto Saotome / Leo (Dance- Meiko/Sheryl Nome)
Sunday- Daenerys / Elie

http://o0ladyashe0o.deviantart.com/
~ashe~ffxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Viveeh
necrocarnival

Yes, I heard it was 98 years.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote