Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

Ocarina of Time Princess Zelda

So this is my first cosplay and just this past weekend at Megacon I got my first pictures of it all on and done with my hair and makeup fixed up at the same time. It's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time adult Princess Zelda. I think it looks really good for a first cosplay but I know there are some problems with it and I already have a list of things I want to fix.

This summer I want to rebuild all of the gold bits entirely, preferably using different methods. Possibly fiberglass or metal. I want to get a more realistic look and hopefully also have something more durable since there were quite a few problems with the parts of this that were made with clay. And the foam did lose a bit of it's curve over time.

I have someone interested in buying the dress and I'm seriously considering it. In this event I would end up rebuilding the dress as well as the pink top part completely. I've noticed that the collar on this dress has a tendency to pull a bit to one side and that the heels I wear aren't quite tall enough to keep the hem of the dress from rolling or puckering. I would fix that in a future dress.

Reference picture:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...na_of_Time.png
Picture of my finished costume:
http://painapurru.deviantart.com/#/d4qqwfp
(if certain details are hard to see in this picture the other picture on my DeviantArt or in my gallery on this site may be helpful)

So I have a few questions about it that I would really like answered:
~How is the shape of the armor? Should I change anything in a future design?
~Do the colors seem right? I think they are just about perfect, but your opinion is appreciated.
~How is the proportioning of the tiara? Should it be larger? Smaller?
~How does the skirt look? Do you think adding more underskirt/a sort of petticoat is neccesary?
~Have I missed any details in this costume?

Last edited by Painapurru : 02-23-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Painapurru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Akune-chan

First off, I love it. It looks good considering it is your first time making a cosplay. :]

Now to answer your questions.~
The armor looks pretty good. I am not sure how it looks overall since your hair is in the way~
However it seems like the part of the armor that goes over the shoulder and around the upper arm looks like it needs to be longer and a bit wider so it can cover your upper arm better. [but it might as well just be the way your arm is positioned]

~Do the colors seem right? I think they are just about perfect, but your opinion is appreciated.
The colors of the outfit looks just about right :] but I would of gone with a lighter shade for the armor and belt.

I think the front part of it should be a bit larger so you can see the curves of the M shape that is in the middle of the forehead.

~How does the skirt look? Do you think adding more underskirt/a sort of petticoat is necessary?
I think it looks great as is. :0 I don;t think you would need an underskirt since Zelda's is not puffy but more on the flow-y side. [if that makes sense] Its supposed to be more elegant then Disney Princess.

Details, none that I can see right off the back.
But I think you should remake the gloves to be longer so there is just a small space between the upper arm armor and the glove. They look a bit short [but again that might just be because your arm is folded].

In the front of Zelda's outfit, her chest armor seems to have some golden tassels. I cannot tell if you have them or not since your hair is in the way x3.
Also, it looks like Zelda's collar forms a V shape is outlined in pink trim and ends a bit higher up on her chest. Yours looks more like its a square shape held by a pink sash and ends underneath the armor.

I am not sure if you want any tips with makeup but I'll give you some anyway ><~ Hope you do not mind.
Overall your makeup is fine (and if you aren't wearing any foundation or powder, I envy your smooth even skin tone ; 3 ; ) however I think you outlined your eyes in blue eyeliner? Zelda seems to have black eyeliner and maybe add some mascara to make your eyes pop even more. :]
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

@Akune-chan
Thanks for the critique~!
I see what you're saying about the armor, I was trying to pick a proportion that wouldn't look too large and gaudy for the character. The color actually looks a bit darker in this picture than it actually was because of poor lighting, but I do intend to have it be lighter in future models. When I remake it I will have your suggestions in mind.
As far as the collar goes it was a rather thin line to tread as far as how large to make the opening. I wanted to have it look as close the picture as possible without having to struggle to get it on (pictures don't tend to take functionality into account). But I see what you're saying, the opening on my collar did end up a bit big. I'll try to fix that on the next dress!
The gloves were pretty tricky. Getting gloves custom died is very difficult in the area that I live and really overpriced, plus they generally want you to provide your own gloves, so I died them to match myself. All of my glove-dyeing horror stories aside, I'm happy with the color. I do share your concern about the length though, they seem a bit short. Getting new gloves may make my list for future alteration, but finding gloves longer than this that are still dyeable will be quite the ordeal.
In some pictures they don't seem as bad. (In this picture you can also see the gold dangly things - I did in fact make those. I didn't think to check if they were visible in the previous picture, sorry.)
http://painapurru.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4m51ct
Making the armor bigger may decrease the length problem with the gloves I think...
I see what you're saying about the makeup. Originally I hadn't used as much blue, but when I had my mother do a once-over and fix any problems with it she added a lot. Next time I will make sure she uses more black than blue. I also might consider using false lashes, since real lashes tend to disappear on camera regardless of how much mascara you use...
Thanks again!
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Black_The_White

I think this is fantastic for your first cosplay. Really, great job.

My only comments are that it'd be awesome to see closer images of the armor to see all the detail into that.

Also, I would have picked a different fabric for that dark pink, especially after seeing that second photo. Both of them seem like..your fabric just glares light back at you and the camera. This might be because of a flash of the camera too, but at conventions it's really going to show if your fabric is that reflective. And in the reference photo it looks like a duller pink..a different kind of fabric. I don't know, that's just my preference.

I also agree that the tiara needs to be a bit bigger. Well..in the first photo it doesnt look right, in the second it seems fine..maybe it just depends on how your head is tilted..

Lastly the bottom of the dress..is the hem turned outside instead of rolled inside? thats what it looks like at least..which..seems odd.
Huan Beifong - 15%

Conventions
Anime LA 2015
Fanime 2015
Anime Expo 2015
Black_The_White is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

Here's a better picture of the armor:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3160555/

I see what you're saying about the fabric choice for the top. It looks fine during photos taken at the con and most photos taken indoors or without a flash, but it is in fact very reflective at the worst of times. The pictures it is shiniest in were taken with a lot of sunlight coming in from the window, and it made the fabric really glare. I'll have how the fabric photographs in mind when I remake it!

Yea, the hem really does do some weird things :/ I can't really explain it, but it's just long enough that it flips, rolls, and puckers and it looks very odd. It's actually rather aggravating.

Thanks for the critique.
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
ferocity
LWLLJB

i like it, maybe it could be a tad larger? maybe a little more detail. it looks really awesome though!
i agree with you, the colors are awesome!
maybe just a LITTLE bigger! c:
~How does the skirt look? Do you think adding more underskirt/a sort of petticoat is neccesary?
no, it looks fine the way it is! i like the way the folds work.
not that i see, maybe a wig?
ferocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
expiredgumiworm
Tiki Crafts

I would bring the belt higher on your body and make the armor a little larger. As for the tiara, the sides are a nice size but the center piece needs to be larger.

Very good job

and/or

Follow my cosplay blog: Tiki Crafts Blogspot
expiredgumiworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'll keep them in mind.
One thing I keep hearing is the suggestion for a wig. I'm concerned by that, mostly because I think wigs look silly on me (I have a very small forehead so they look unnatural) but also because I would rather spend money taking my own hair blonder than I would on a wig which I would only wear for this costume... If it won't look better than my natural hair with a bit of work done to it, I just don't see the benefit of the investment. What suggestions do you guys have for finding good wigs?
Unread 03-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Atomaru

That is amazing! I honestly can't see much to change, aside from the above mentioned, and even that really isn't necessary, unless your going for perfection. Definitely one of the better Zeldas i've ever seen.
Atomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
LiamLink

This is brilliant,
Its looking really really good,
the only things i can see are, mabey making the shirt close a bit higher and closer? (if that makes sence)
the head dress could have a longer/larger center?
and slightly higher gloves,
But thats really all i can see
Other than that you really suit the costume and it looks great!
LiamLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

Really nice. Only thing I would recommend is bringing the shirt up a little big higher because the poofy part is lower on you compared to how Zelda wears it.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

Thanks for the continued input! I'm working on the shirt now
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
1MangaFan
OwO

I think I might have noticed a small detail you are missing. From what I can tell in the picture Zelda has Triforce earings. I'm working with a phone right now so I can't. Tell if you have them.

God Tier Dave- 60% complete
Zora Suit Link (masquerade cosplay)- 40% complete
Calliope- complete
God Tier Vriska- complete

Taiyou-con 2013:

Azula- 0% complete

Phoenix Comic-con 2013:

Allen Walker 1st Uniform: 10% complete
1MangaFan is offline   Reply With Quote