Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-10-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
RikkuX
Rikku the Anbu Sand Ninja

One day wash out hair dye/spray??

Hey guys i'm posting to find out if anyone knows of some kind of hair spray or dye that washes out in one shower. I have blonde hair and need it black for a day; a wig wont work for this costume. Anyone know of something at a good price that wont look like that crappy Halloween spray in bottle stuff?

Thanks!
RikkuX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Anele
Cosplaying the Rare Ones

Try your local party store, or year-round costume shop for temporary, wash-out dye. My friend cosplayed as Hanmyo from Outlaw Star and had to dye her hair purple, but didn't want it to be permanent. So, she bought washable dye at Hot Topic or Target (forgot which). Her kind came with a comb that had holes in it for the dye to come out of while you were brushing your hair.
Anele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 11:42 PM   #3
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

I've had better luck with temp dye from Walgreens than Target or Rite Aid. Hot Topic tends to carry more of the Manic Panic style temp dye. If you need to, you CAN use black hairspray on blonde hair. My ghetto Death costume in my gallery has my blonde hair covered in black Halloween hairspray. The stuff flakes and makes a mess and comes off on your clothes, but it DOES work.

If you possibly can, though, try and use a wig. All temporary hair dye will look kind of cheap and will stiffen your hair and look bad.
Unread 01-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
KusanIvy

The temp hair paint/gel that come in a comb shaped bottle is called Hot Heads. I like using it better than the Halloween sprays because it's easier to control but unfortunately it doesn't come in black (which I discovered when I tried to do my hair for Nightcrawler) or any other natural shades really.

I did see a type of temp coloured gel at the drugstore the other day that came in only natural shades (so no blues and purples for instance). Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called but it came in a red and gray mousse can if I remember correctly, with pictures of the hair shades on the outside. They might have black.
Unread 01-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
R1KKu_77
RaWWR!!!

Try Sally Beauty. There was this stuff that I bought from there. Its called Fanci-Full, comes in different colors, including black, and its in a gray bottle. Its like a liquidy type of dye that you kinda rub into your hair, and it washes out with shampoo. Now I dont know if there will be any problems putting the black onto blonde hair, but you can ask someone there, since they are pretty knowledgeable about that stuff. If that doesnt work, they should have some sort of styling product there that contains dyes to color your hair.
R1KKu_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
DukeAbercrombie
Banned

HotTopic in the mall has alot of good stuff with all sorts of colours
DukeAbercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

Watch out for the base of the black color, though. Two of my blonde friends used the stuff for halloween one year... we all discovered the next day that one of the blacks had a purple base (her hair was lavender tinted for about a week after), and the other was green based (she had green streaks for a month afterwards).
You get what you pay for with hair dye. I'd go with a wig, myself. Then you can cosplay the character again and again without buying new dye.
Unread 03-25-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
mikazuki
三日月

Also keep in mind if you have ever dyed your hair or bleached it then the cuticle to your hair is open making the temp color not so temporary. BUT there are products on the market to remove any left over temp color if you still want to use a temp dye and find it doesn't come out that easily.
mikazuki is offline   Reply With Quote