Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action) > Harry Potter

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Eerie Butterfly
Bacon, the candy of meats

Wizarding World of Harry Potter/ I need Florida Cosplayers' advice

(I really don't know where to post this, but this seems to be the best spot)

I'm going to Orlando to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction for my birthday in mid August, and I need to know just how hot and humid does Florida get? I need to know so I can make my mom's costume accordingly. I currently live in Las Vegas (no humidity, but really hot), but I grew up in Orange County in California (about 80% humidity, but it's 70~80 year round).

Also, can you still go the park in costume?

Last edited by Eerie Butterfly : 02-26-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Eerie Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
lunasol

Yeah, the heat and humidity are pretty bad. I'm from Texas, and when we went to see a shuttle launch (in March) I was outside all day and it was pretty miserable. Going to the HP park wasn't as bad, because you can duck into a shop (or get pumpkin juice!) if it gets too bad, but I still found myself laughing at being so hot when there's snow on all the roofs. I've never been in August, but I imagine it would be even worse. In Houston, it gets up to 105, with horrible humidity. I'd imagine Orlando would be similar.
I'm pretty sure you can't wear costumes. I don't know where I heard this, so I might just be making this up, but they have costumed people walking around the park and don't want regular people confusing everything with their costumes.
Honestly, if I had gone in full robes in March I would've been really unhappy. I wouldn't wear a costume, especially in August. Show your HP love with a T-shirt or tie or hat. You feel enough like you're actually in the books/movies without a costume, anyway.
lunasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Kitsune
Turk in a Skirt

I don't recall getting up over 100 very often, to be honest - well, the feels like gets there all the time, but we tend to stay in the 80s and 90s in late summer with a similar percentage of humidity. I can't say much because I'm really used to the heat - but even with being used to the heat, I get a bit hot in my full robes. The snow almost makes the heat worse. XD If you go when it's not too terribly crowded, though, you can easily duck into shops and such.

You ARE allowed to wear robes and uniforms - because they sell those at the park, they can't disallow it, so it's the one exception. I know I couldn't wear, say, Charlie, because it's a costume that isn't a robe set but definitely LOOKS like a costume, but the uniforms are fine, and anything plains clothes that is used in the movies would be fine, too. What you are NOT allowed to do is take photos with other people. My friend and I got in trouble when we couldn't dissuade some foreign tourists from taking photos with us, but we just got a warning. You have to be very firm in letting people know that you are just there to enjoy the place like they are, and you do not want photos with them.
Friday: Scootaloo (MLP:FiM), Darya "Dasha" Alkaev (Orlandia); Saturday: Dasha, Ryoko Mitsurugi; Sunday: Zubat (Pokemon Snap panel), Dasha
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
floralNINJAchan

1) I hope you have tons of fun! My sis and I were going to cosplay there as well when we plan the trip,
and
2) It will get pretty hot around that time of the year. My family goes to Florida (Walt Disney World) almost every year during that time. Plus all of the walking and such you would get hot anyways.
And on the costume thing, since they sell the robes and such there so it is alright to wear cosplay.
floralNINJAchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Eerie Butterfly
Bacon, the candy of meats

Thank you guys so much for the information! I'll keep all of this in mind when I start packing for the trip.
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Pezzidge
Pidge

When we went for the final premiere, my friends and I were in our full Marauder gear at one point. Oxford shirts, sweaters, blazers, and robes, wigs, pants. It was hot, but not unbearable. Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
I know I couldn't wear, say, Charlie, because it's a costume that isn't a robe set but definitely LOOKS like a costume, but the uniforms are fine, and anything plains clothes that is used in the movies would be fine, too.
Wotcher, Chuck~!
Fili - The Hobbit
Pippin - Return of the King
Tonks - Deathly Hallows
Ariel - Celebrate Dreams Come True
Jasmine - Disney Apocalypse

Pezzidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Kitsune
Turk in a Skirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzidge View Post
Wotcher, Chuck~!
Nym, lovely, always good running across you~ <3

Eerie Butterfly, I hope you enjoy your trip! Islands of Adventure is an amazing theme park, and the Wizarding World is breath-taking, especially on the first venture into it!
Friday: Scootaloo (MLP:FiM), Darya "Dasha" Alkaev (Orlandia); Saturday: Dasha, Ryoko Mitsurugi; Sunday: Zubat (Pokemon Snap panel), Dasha
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote