Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Megacon 2012 : Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on Megacon 2012!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's Megacon!

Remember to make your commentary polite and keep things civil!

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
dogwitch

well first off. i was able to get in when the dealers where setting up. advance info is posted here for paying ticket people . like i am

one thing i will mention right now to let people know is their taking up 2 halls this year(full halls) d and e.
second is they have put 2 tall panels on each side of the main hall listing times and room numbers for panels and signings etc.
third much easier sign to tell you where to go with arrows from rear parking lot. full signs in the convention building this time .

last but the best is larger walking isles due to having 2 halls for it.

only thing that sucks currently is not listed times for Panel and programming . that are normaly listed on the site and book that they send out . hope this all helps out

Last edited by dogwitch : 02-16-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: mis type on a word
dogwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
DavinDaLilAzn

I'm just gonna make my initial post, but the one thing that bothers me the most about MegaCon is the effin little wristband!!! Why can't they do badges like every other convention in the country!??!?!! I've asked them before, and they say so that people wouldn't just hand off their badge to someone else. Just because it's a wristband won't stop anyone from doing so. Also, in years past, I've had to work on nights after MegaCon and I can't have that wristband on during work. Another reason is that the wristband looks horrible for cosplayers in pictures and you can't hide it as easily. I mean, it's kind of a given that MegaCon only cares about the money and not the attendees for various of reason.

Alright, I'm done w/ my rant.

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
DavinDaLilAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
NeonBunnyGirl
I fancy Poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavinDaLilAzn View Post
I'm just gonna make my initial post, but the one thing that bothers me the most about MegaCon is the effin little wristband!!! Why can't they do badges like every other convention in the country!??!?!! I've asked them before, and they say so that people wouldn't just hand off their badge to someone else. Just because it's a wristband won't stop anyone from doing so. Also, in years past, I've had to work on nights after MegaCon and I can't have that wristband on during work. Another reason is that the wristband looks horrible for cosplayers in pictures and you can't hide it as easily. I mean, it's kind of a given that MegaCon only cares about the money and not the attendees for various of reason.

Alright, I'm done w/ my rant.
There wristband excuse is retarded. I take my 3day wristband off every sunday and give it to other people to use. :/ They're not that hard to unsnap. Hell you could just break the snap and then use clear tape to reattach it and no one would know! They do a shitty job of actually checking the wristbands for fakes and borrowed ones.

But yea I agree with everything you said. They wristbands are so damn annoying, they are always getting in the way of getting costumes one and making the costumes look ugly for pictures. :/
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
`viet

I agree with the ones above. I'm glad I can cover the wristbands this year. When I changed out to my Yuffie costume (Green and Yellow) I'm just glad that the yellow band matches my outfit or else I'll be taking it off since I loosely put it on my wrist.

This year was ok. Hoping it'll be a little bit more organized with the times. I couldn't find it that easily, I pretty much went off on memory for the signings (didn't go to one because my feet were killing me by the time I reached the events lol.)

but yes the main thing, the wristbands... really? :|
AFO
`viet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
UchihaGirl
The Cosplay Mouseketteer

They've used wristbands for years now, and it's never bothered me. I agree that it's easier to just keep it loose and slide the band off. I also totally called that this year's band would be blue because I have keep the others from previous years and blue was the only one missing. They colors should start repeating either next year or the one after. I do think that badges would be cooler and much more interesting, and believe me, I saw a number of duct tape bands and NO ONE knew the difference at a glance.

My problem was the one door to enter the Dealers Room was at the furthest end. It caused such a huge bottle neck at the entrance because you didn't have the option of going left or right. There was only one direction and every attendee was going in that same direction. I also didn't like how Artist Alley was hidden in the back, behind the huge walls. What was the point of that?! One the first day, I didn't even realize there was another section until close to the end of the day since all I saw was the main area and then a wall.

MegaCon does need better signage for EVERYTHING. This is one of the most advanced, and the second largest convention center in the U.S. I expect there to be better technology and directions when it comes to where things are being held, not only from the Con itself, but the OCCC.

But I did have a blast and I loved seeing Stan Lee again. It's a good start to get you back into the swing of things for the con season and it's always great to see friends after a while.
MegaCon, SWW, MetroCon, AFO, DragonCon, ShadoCon, Holiday Matsuri.

MegaCon Cosplay List

Merle
Giganta
2nd Doctor Aurora
UchihaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Neko_Kaolla
Cosmic Gemini Cosplayer

Wristbands have always been annoying, but when it's the weekend badge I put them on loose enough to slip off (with a little wiggling) so I can, you know, SHOWER. They put it on one year and it was so TIGHT. Glad they don't do that anymore. This year I had two days comped, so I had the paper ones. Can't twist them off too easy, so I made it tight enough to hide or remove in retouching. On Sunday I waited until AFTER the meetup I was at to put it on (since I bought it that morning). It is harder to share the paper ones, since they do easily show wear and tear. The plastic... no. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
Digital Minion for Outlaw Custom Designs.
"When in doubt, duck. When certain, don't bother cause you're already screwed."
Upcoming Cons: BELLECON, MYTHICON, SHADOCON, HOLIDAY MATSURI(?)
Neko_Kaolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Iceywind

This was my first time at Megacon, and being a regular at Metrocon I expected something grand for the so called "biggest convention in Florida". I was very disappointed.

The panels. There were so few panels and general "stuff" to do. I expected multiple panels every hour, like Metrocon, but more. Sadly there was maybe 1 panel an hour, maybe 2 if you count both anime panels and scifi panels, and I found myself bored most of the time. There were no major events to attend (maybe the costume contest, but both contests were overlapping so you couldn't see both). Since I don't have a particular interest in autographs or meeting guests, I spent most of the convention wandering around.

Dealers room. I was very happy with the size of the dealers room. Metrocon always disappointed in the dealers room, so Megacons was great. I loved the size and the variety of items offered. I was happy to see yaoi available, Japanese foods and snacks, and many different toy booths. My only real complaint was the way you could only enter from one door way on the opposite end. This made getting in a pain since you had to wait in a line to get in and caused major crowding. My other complaint is the crowding within the dealers room itself, though the only way to stop this is to expand the booths farther apart and take up another hall.

Artist Alley. I wandered around Friday wondering where the heck the artist alley was. I didn't realize they crammed the artist alley in the back of the dealers room. This would work if they let people enter from that side as well, but I didn't know it was back there until I looked at the map Friday evening. I expected this to be in its own area, and it should have.

Gaming. Like the artist alley, they crammed the gaming in the back of the dealers room. I usually like to watch the gamers but it was impossible because of the crowds. All the gaming should have been in a large room or that empty hall. Like the artist alley, I had to check the map before I realize the game booths had be set up back there.

Food. Like the last two, a lot of food booths were set up in the back of the dealers room. It was very crowded and very hot, I was unable to get anything to eat in there and just stopped by a stall on the edge to get a drink. More of the stalls outside the dealers room should have been opened up and more tables and chairs should have been set up in those areas. Like that large open area by the card gaming room.

Size. For being the so called "largest convention" they sure crammed everything in the back of the convention center. I was so surprised when I saw the area that 'this was it'. The halls down there were narrow and hard to walk in with all the people. The rooms set aside were small and unimpressive. Megacon should consider moving to the larger area of the convention center.

Wrist bands. Since I'm a cosplayer, the wrist bands were very hard to use. I was dressed as Armored Ventus from Birth by Sleep and had large gauntlets on my arms. I had to cut off the wristband and safety pin it to my gloves if anyone would be able to see it. Also those "guards" set up to check wristbands just glanced to make sure we had something resembling a wristband, they didn't really check to see if it was legit. It would have been so easy to fake a band, especially those paper ones for the guests that just attended for one day.

While some things about Megagon were nice, like the content of the dealerís room, almost everything else was boring and disappointing. It was crowded and hot, there was a lack of events and I was bored. It was just unorganized and messy. I debated whether I would want to attend again. Maybe Friday when itís less crowded and I can actually move in the dealerís room, but I donít know if itís worth it just to attend to buy stuff when I can get things online.

Thatís my review/rant as a first-time Megaconer.
Iceywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
funkyduckman
Duck Man

As mentioned above, the fact they had the only entrance to the dealer room as a single set of double doors at the far left end, was such a bad idea. It just created this massive bottleneck and there was no way they could have checked who had bracelets. I liked the layout, though the first third area where they had just a green screen booth and the stan lee tent seemed like a total waste of usable space.

*Edit* Also, people walking around with boomboxes playing LMFAO and Dubstep started to get on my groups' nerves by Sunday. I mean, the people that integrated music into their costume were cool, but yeah. Maybe I'm just outta line, here.

Last edited by funkyduckman : 02-20-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: more to whine about
funkyduckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

This was the first Mega I actually went all three days for, and I've been attending since 2005 and only missed one year.

I actually liked the dealer's room set-up for this year. It did seem really weird though with that huge open space when you first walked in, though. I'm also very much the exploring type though, so I actually stumbled into the artist alley by accident, and it took me a moment to realize the transition. I think there was a good variety of genre this year, too. As always, there were a few things that I simply could not find (JoJo related merch for instance, but that's understandable), but overall I enjoyed it.

The wristbands will always be something I dislike, as others do. I'm glad they at least give you a plastic one for a weekend pass rather than the single day paper version, and I make it a habit to never actually wear it but only keep it accessible for whenever I need to show it. They don't do well as a fashion accessory to one's costume, do they?

I wish the con was more panel oriented, but since the anime track is only one small part of the entire con I suppose it is understandable. I normally don't even go to many panels, but for a con like Mega whose sole focus becomes the dealer's hall area, it wouldn't hurt to maybe add a few more panels to the line-up. I was a bit bummed that karaoke and the costume contest were running simultaneously too, but it's not like I could sing much less talk because I lost my voice that evening anyhow. So null complaint on that one.

But yes, I will be back again next year since this has become my favorite con in Florida. Used to be Metro, but times have changed and I feel the audience for Metro has become more for the younger crowd while Mega still remains a great spot for the adults to chill.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
NeonBunnyGirl
I fancy Poop.

Like i already said, I disliked the wristbands.

What I did like was that they expanded the dealers room, It was way more roomier than the previous years, I liked that there was that big open area at the entrance into the dealers room, good spot for taking pictures since there was so much room and you didn't have to worry about getting in peoples ways. I did NOT like how on Friday and Saturday you could only get in through one door.

Panel wise, Megacon has pretty much always been lacking in that category, it would be nice if they would improve that in the future. It would be awesome if they could make the video games area bigger and possibly have some video game oriented panels.. Not just anime and scifi.. :/

The food stands were also pretty annoying, they usually do have a bunch of the stands outside open but idk why they didn't this year..

But yea Overall my biggest complaint would be that there just isn't much to do at megacon besides what goes on EVERY year at mega... I literally spent my entire weekend at megacon walking around aimlessly.
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
BayushiKachiko
Lvl. 10 CLR| Lvl. 4 PALY

I think one of MegaCon's biggest problems in general is that they have no clear place for everyone to offer feedback, like a forum or even a Yahoo group or whatever. It is VERY confusing trying to figure out who exactly you would need to talk to about something, whether it be organizing a panel, hosting a video game event or LARP, etc. . I think if they had a more clear-cut line of contacts for events, they might have more people wanting to run events in the first place. When I first started to run panels at Mega, I had a hell of a time figuring out who exactly I needed to coordinate with.

For events, I would like to see them have more events running later in the evening. Several years ago, they had Voltaire play and that was great. I know he was supposed to be there the year after as well (2008 and 2009 respectively, I think) but the second year was cancelled due to crazy weather up north. Long and short of it is that one of the things that makes a convention like Dragon*Con so awesome is the amount of stuff to do after the dealer room closes. Of course, the big problem is that MegaCon is not a hotel convention, so the adult tradition of imbibing tasty alcoholic beverages is negated.

I liked how they did the dealer's room this year. It will always bottle-neck at the entrance on day one, but having a big "holding area" really helped relieve the madness that usually spills out into the main hallway areas. A better map in the booklet would surely help, as would spacing the aisles more effectively.

The wrist bands have never been that big of a concern for me, and hearing people counterfeiting wristbands with duct tape or passing them off to others makes it pretty clear why the convention would much rather clasp those suckers on you tight. I don't have much sympathy for people when they do this and then complain about convention costs, whether it be the admission price, food costs, or whatever else, even programming. If you're not paying to get in, you have no room to complain about it. Please note I am directing those comments at no one in particular, just a general sense of distaste at what I have seen and read about for years. (Yes, I cosplay, so I feel the annoyance of having to wear one; badges are far more convenient.)

I always have a good time at MegaCon, downtime and all.

Support your local Paladins and Vampire Slayers.

Team Awesome, Wolf Pack Elite, and Awesome Industries

Current Works in Progress:
Mathias Cronqvist: Castlevania, Lament of Innocence
???Richter Belmont: Castlevania, Harmony of Despair
???Smoke: Mortal Kombat 3

BayushiKachiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #13
dogwitch

finale i am not the only with were the hell is the panel's rooms/info etc.(i gave up on trying to find almost all of them after looking on friday) . floor lay out was better but (not by much) and i did the same thing with artist alley. the sign saying where it was. was over the middle of it. and not the front . i will say this year compared to last year on times for other stuff happen after the con closed done for the day was much better.
dogwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
blackflame16
Fly awayyy~

Two things:

1. The wristbands... It takes away from the cosplay cause you're like "Oh! Theres a wristband on my arm...". Luckly enough all of my cosplays this year were long sleeved so that I could hide it when I was taking pictures. But next year, please upgrade to badges!!

2. Megacon, you're supposed to be the 'Largest convention in Florida'... Y u no 4 day con already??? When I looked on the website they set their dates for March 14-17 in both Hall D & E. I was sooo excited until they changed the dates back down to a 3 day con. I would think that 4 days would be good cause of all the people who attend...
Megacon, Metrocon, Dragoncon, Shadocon
Cosplay Plans:
Ryuko Matoi(street clothes): Kill la Kill(100%)
Storm: X-men(100%)
Huntress: DC Comics
Female Avatar: Fire Emblem Awakening(35%)
Raven: Teen Titans(100%)
Momohime: Muramasa the Demon Blade(45%)
Cosplays for Friends:
Gaius: Fire Emblem Awakening
Gaius(Summer Scramble): Fire Emblem Awakening
Shiore: Log Horizon
blackflame16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
kamachima

I agree a lot with what Iceywind said. This was my first time going to Megacon, and was disappointed with how crowded it was, considering the size of the convention hall.
kamachima is offline   Reply With Quote