Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 02-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Reily96
Ambitious to a Fault

Furisode accuracy

So... In a project that will no doubt take me years to complete just because of how expensive everything is to acquire and/or make, I've decided to go for a Hachi-Hachi Flowery Battle of Kagamine Len.

*There's a tl;dr at the bottom if you're lazy. :P

I've been mulling over whether or not to make the visible kimono myself or just buy it. Either way it will be hideously expensive, and simply because I've never made a kimono before - especially one with a pattern that I would have to hand paint myself if I wanted to get it right, I came to the conclusion, I'd probably be better off buying the furisode. Looking around eBay and Ichiroya, I managed to find ONE perfect furisode for the outfit but... let's just say I was ignored completely by the seller and was unable to purchase it. The kimono itself was being sold for way less than it was worth, but somebody else snatched it up and will probably sell it for what it actually is worth... putting it way out of my price range.

That aside, I've been looking around yet again, and I haven't been able to find anything as close to perfect as that one was... So I figure I'm going to have to settle for something else.

I've managed to find some that could work... my main question is... is it bad if I don't get it as accurate as I possibly can? I'm anal about these things - I like to get them as perfectly as humanly possible... and I know very few people will really recognize me for my character. I guess you can say I'm trying to appeal to those who would recognize the character, although I doubt they would notice the furisode as much as I have - I had to go through a LOT of work just to get those references in the link. Lots of print-screen and ctrl-v ing. orz

Anyways, I've found a few with less detail and not all the colors... and some with all the colors but lots of insane amount of detail. Neither of them really match what I need perfectly, but I'm not sure what to go for. If it's under, if there's embroidery I suppose I could add some other stuff without making it too obvious. I don't know how I could do it if it's lined, however, which it probably will be - the color scheme is mostly autumn style. But if it's over, I'm not sure if that would be taking it overboard.

tl;dr
I need a furisode. The perfect one I found is out of my reach and I have to settle for something else now. I can either get a similar one that is underembellished or a similar one that is overembellished. Under has the possibility of being spruced up with some hits of embroidery on my part if the lining will allow me to. Over might be too ostentatious. Not sure which to go for or if one or the other might make the outfit a bit more recognizable to the few people who might be able to recognize the character. Advice?

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I'd say go for the over-embellished one. That's a very embellished outfit in general, and given the way that details fade into the background in person and on camera, a bit too much will likely present the visual impression of just-right.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
rachelofpie
is a cat.

If you could post an image of the products you're looking at, that might make it easier. ^^
rachelofpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Emi Hana
Kimono - Kimono - Kimono

I just checked Ichiroya for you, and the finished Furisodes are a little expensive - $120.00 on up. However, if you can sew a partially-made Furisode Kimono and can add a lining to it, I would advise you get a Karinui Furisode Fabric, like this one, and sew the remaining parts of the Furisode yourself.

Again, the above link is the best I can come up with, but if you search Ichiroya, you may be able to find something a little different, but the same type of kimono.
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Reily96
Ambitious to a Fault

I was actually trying to avoid Ichiroya. I love what they have up there, but seeing as I just got my jobs recently and haven't started yet, and thus have no paychecks, I really can't afford a full price anything from Ichiroya, cuz even their cheapest stuff has that big ol shipping price tag. Which is why I opened myself up to eBay and the stressful world of bidding wars.

And I actually ended up finding a karinui furisode on there from Osaka. In total I ended up paying $54 for it, with shipping. 8D It may not be what he's wearing exactly, and, like I mentioned before, a bit overembellished, but I think it represents the character well enough. And if in the future, if I find something better and can afford it, I'll go and get it and simply use that one for kitsuke. But for now, I think I've got it rather well. 8D

Thanks everyone~

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
zirc

ichiroya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reily96 View Post
I was actually trying to avoid Ichiroya. I love what they have up there, but seeing as I just got my jobs recently and haven't started yet, and thus have no paychecks, I really can't afford a full price anything from Ichiroya, cuz even their cheapest stuff has that big ol shipping price tag. Which is why I opened myself up to eBay and the stressful world of bidding wars.

And I actually ended up finding a karinui furisode on there from Osaka. In total I ended up paying $54 for it, with shipping. 8D It may not be what he's wearing exactly, and, like I mentioned before, a bit overembellished, but I think it represents the character well enough. And if in the future, if I find something better and can afford it, I'll go and get it and simply use that one for kitsuke. But for now, I think I've got it rather well. 8D

Thanks everyone~
In the future, just so you know, you can also email ichiroya and ask for paying by installment. They are good with things like this and you only need to pay the deposit. (if the installment is in three, deposit is 1/3). I did this once with a very expensive uchikake.
zirc is offline   Reply With Quote