Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 08-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
tsunderi
(´-_ゝ-`)
 
tsunderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 14
Public transportation in cosplay

How do you guys feel on taking public transportation in cosplay?

I have to take public transportation this year to NYCC and I'm leaning towards calling a cab rather than taking a train due to some of my cosplays.
I don't want to deal with the whole people stepping or touching my cosplay, especially since the trains are mostly packed.
So I was wondering if I'm the only one feeling uncomfortable with riding trains/buses in cosplay.
__________________
Attending:
NYCC'16
Anime Boston'17
_______________________________
Cosplay Plans:
Doll (Kuroshitsuji)
Reaper (Overwatch)
tsunderi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau
 
Maurishio-kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,457
I just did it once by bus, my costume was pretty simple so I hid my cosplay top under my jacket so at least I didn't have too much inconvenience, of course my wig was horrible and my gloves were exposed so some people may probably have thought something.
__________________
Visit my art page at
mau506sk.deviantart.com

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 15,511
I generally don't want to, at least not alone, unless I can easily wear a jacket/sweater over the more obvious parts, or change into the more costumey pieces when I get there. Combination of it getting possibly damaged, if I'm going to a hotel I'll usually have a big annoying "get dirty looks from people because it take up the space where two people could stand" size suitcase, and generally just not liking to be stared at when I'm in half a costume and looking really weird. Now, for bigger cons, the routes that run right to the area tend to be full of other cosplayers/con-goers, at least, so those I don't mind so much. I just rarely have that kind of luck in public transit routes. Oddly enough I feel that a lot more on the bus than on trains or subways. I think it's because on a bus you have to do what I call "the walk of shame" when you get on, whereas on a subway/commuter train, you can step in basically anywhere and nobody is paying attention to the door because few people are even facing it in the first place. It's also usually more obvious that there's a convention on when taking one, since most of the big well-known ones are gotten to by one and there's inevitably several others going too.

...that said, reception by cab drivers has been frosty at best whenever I called one to go to the con or even taking one back (the usual "what the hell's with the costumes"/"how can you wear that"/"You'd better not be on drugs"/"Why are you going to a hotel when you live in this city"/"Get your own huge suitcase into the trunk" and all other manner of crap that's put me off of ever taking a Toronto taxi again). I think that was more of a where I was living at the time thing, though, not a widespread thing. And as a cautionary note, I'd only cab it to NYCC if you can book a taxi in advance to make sure they're there on time, or you're not on any kind of schedule. During big cons and any other major public events, cab companies are SWAMPED with people calling for rides.
__________________
Deviantart
Storenvy
Facebook (Artist alley only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 08-18-2016 at 01:29 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot
 
KuruttaKanashii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 713
Sometimes being in costume makes people think they get to talk to you, which is okay if it's kids and not okay if it's some 50-year-old guy.
__________________
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
tsunderi
(´-_ゝ-`)
 
tsunderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I generally don't want to, at least not alone, unless I can easily wear a jacket/sweater over the more obvious parts, or change into the more costumey pieces when I get there. Combination of it getting possibly damaged, if I'm going to a hotel I'll usually have a big annoying "get dirty looks from people because it take up the space where two people could stand" size suitcase, and generally just not liking to be stared at when I'm in half a costume and looking really weird. Now, for bigger cons, the routes that run right to the area tend to be full of other cosplayers/con-goers, at least, so those I don't mind so much. I just rarely have that kind of luck in public transit routes. Oddly enough I feel that a lot more on the bus than on trains or subways. I think it's because on a bus you have to do what I call "the walk of shame" when you get on, whereas on a subway/commuter train, you can step in basically anywhere and nobody is paying attention to the door because few people are even facing it in the first place. It's also usually more obvious that there's a convention on when taking one, since most of the big well-known ones are gotten to by one and there's inevitably several others going too.

...that said, reception by cab drivers has been frosty at best whenever I called one to go to the con or even taking one back (the usual "what the hell's with the costumes"/"how can you wear that"/"You'd better not be on drugs"/"Why are you going to a hotel when you live in this city"/"Get your own huge suitcase into the trunk" and all other manner of crap that's put me off of ever taking a Toronto taxi again). I think that was more of a where I was living at the time thing, though, not a widespread thing. And as a cautionary note, I'd only cab it to NYCC if you can book a taxi in advance to make sure they're there on time, or you're not on any kind of schedule. During big cons and any other major public events, cab companies are SWAMPED with people calling for rides.
This is exactly how I feel! The train I'm riding is always packed and it's worse during rush hours, which is why I was leaning towards calling a cab. I wouldn't be worrying much about this problem if I had a friend or another con-goer with me, but this time I'm meeting my friends at the convention center so I have to get there alone, haha. I'm planning to switch into my daily clothes at the end of the con so I can peacefully ride the train back home.
Oh yeah, I had the same situation with the whole cab thing. It was the non-stop mentioning of Halloween and teenagers dressing up like everyday is a party day type of thing. I sort of don't want to take a train, bus or cab, but I have to take something to get there.

Thanks for the heads up with the advanced planning for the cabs. I didn't think of that until now!
__________________
Attending:
NYCC'16
Anime Boston'17
_______________________________
Cosplay Plans:
Doll (Kuroshitsuji)
Reaper (Overwatch)

Last edited by tsunderi : 08-18-2016 at 05:13 PM.
tsunderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
Respawning
Registered User
 
Respawning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 405
I took the train my first year dressing up, it was kinda funny since my friend and I were doing Mass Effect cosplays complete with big guns (which nowadays would NOT fly on the train as the guy in New York learned). On the way home we confused the shit out of some drunk guy who got on a a campus stop, he was convinced we were in the military. Ya buddy, we're space marines

Nowadays we just pay to park at the convention site, it's easier when in big costumes and we get the comfort of driving home instead of waiting for and then cramming into the packed train.
__________________
Make good art. ~Neil Gaiman

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie, Morrigan, Tiefling Sorcerer, Morrigan of Dragon Age, Thor Goddess of Thunder, Daenerys Targaryen
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri


part of Pixelated Cosplay group on Facebook, cathartic_creation on Instagram
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2016, 04:04 AM   #7
Shienra
Registered User
 
Shienra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 198
I only did it once so far (and I wore a pretty 'normal' costume back then) but the reactions of the people around us was pretty funny as there were a lot of dressed up con-goers waiting for the train.
In a couple of weeks we're probably taking the public transportation again, but this time I'm a bit more nervous, since it's a much smaller con and the costume is more obvious. :')
Luckily I won't be alone.
__________________
Working on
Ciri - The witcher (done!)
Merrill - Dragon age 2 (10%)


Ideas
Chloe Price - Life is Strange (?)


//Instagram//Facebook(cosplay)
Shienra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
Syon
leads the crusade
 
Syon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,334
Its weird, but after some minutes I get used to being starred at. It definitly helps, if I have at least one friend with me (the more the better).
__________________
Me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SyonCosplay
Me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/syoncos/

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
Helara
She had a foam arm.
 
Helara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 286
It can be quite insightful especially when I went as The Punisher with a full face of sfx bruises and cuts which was very realistic. I understandably got a lot of looks from people. One person actually asked if I was okay and I explained I was in costume to an event so it was just make-up. Winter Soldier had a lot of looks as well because of the arm and again quite dark clothes.

To be honest I'm not afraid of being the center of attention and I know public transport in costume gets people looking at me but I ignore it. I sit on my phone, I listen to music or I talk to my friends on the phone if I'm not underground on the Tube. I just go about as if it is the most normal thing for me to do and that's the best way for me to go about it. People quite often are more interested in other stuff and don't pay attention to others quite so much as we may worry about.
__________________
Follow me at Northern Lights Cosplay on Facebook and on Instagram.
Helara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
EmiBubble
Professional Loli
 
EmiBubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 635
Normally I'll wear something else on the way to the con and change there. If not I'll wear a light baggy jacket over it and not wear the wig on the way. My last Metro experience was ok since a lot of the con attendees took the Metro too (they were fully dressed in their cosplays)
__________________
Friend me on FB?
EmiBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
DanArt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 22
first off if people talk to you. you should be happy

second all fictional elements including
celebreties and public servants have no
say in usage of there image

third learn not to care because many people come
from an associative culture.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
Syon
leads the crusade
 
Syon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
first off if people talk to you. you should be happy

second all fictional elements including
celebreties and public servants have no
say in usage of there image

third learn not to care because many people come
from an associative culture.
Woah...hold your horses.

- Why should anyone be happy by default, just because people talk to them on public transportation? Being happy about a conversation usually depends strongly on what is being said. A nice compliment? Sure. The 346586 time explaining yourself or getting a rude reaction? Probably not.

- Might be a case of language barrier, but there is nothing fictional about celebraties or public servants. Cosplayers who take public transportation to get somewhere are neither celebraties or public servants. They have just the very same rights to their images as anyone else.
__________________
Me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SyonCosplay
Me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/syoncos/

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #13
DanArt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 22
You see the wuss problem in the Us stems
from racism. So people are practicing racsim
without knowing


If this was Japan nobody would care.
You have strangers walk up to you askung
are u Amerikan and touch your hair

India and parts ofthe Orient is very open and
close too

I understand many people are fearfull
but your in the Uniform you need to
enjoy the attention


Your only a private citizen when
you do not draw attention otherwise
I understand. I know this model and
people are always snapping pics and/or
asking for pics.
When u cosplay ur in the same realm.





it is like halloween or purin. I snap a shor
becuase of the event of the day/ night

you need to get over fear and just enjoy
life

Last edited by DanArt : 08-24-2016 at 08:41 AM.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
lovePINK1990
Registered User
 
lovePINK1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
I'm going to NYCC also this year and I plan on going to public transportation route. I figure getting weird looks on the subway is part of the experience

If you don't want to take the subway I'd recommend either scheduling a driver in advance or using something like Way2Ride where you can hail a cab electronically. I anticipate cabs being few and far between at that time.
lovePINK1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #15
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They
 
Magyarita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
You see the wuss problem in the Us stems
from racism. So people are practicing racsim
without knowing


If this was Japan nobody would care.
You have strangers walk up to you askung
are u Amerikan and touch your hair

India and parts ofthe Orient is very open and
close too

I understand many people are fearfull
but your in the Uniform you need to
enjoy the attention


Your only a private citizen when
you do not draw attention otherwise
I understand. I know this model and
people are always snapping pics and/or
asking for pics.
When u cosplay ur in the same realm.





it is like halloween or purin. I snap a shor
becuase of the event of the day/ night

you need to get over fear and just enjoy
life
What does racism have to do with this...?

Have you been to Japan? I went for a short foreign exchange trip 2 years ago. I am white, have blue eyes, a large chest, and long naturally curly hair. Sure, a few of my host sister's friends and classmates got excited about my skin/eyes/chest/hair, but nobody in public ever did. People actually got out of the way even when I made plenty of room for them on public transportation and on the sidewalks. And from what I noticed over there, the locals do not normally go out of their way to approach strangers and talk to them. Direct behavior like that is often considered rude in Japan. (However, if you're a tourist and approach a local and ask them for help with something, they will go out of their way to help you, it's a very hospitable culture.)

And while taking pictures/videos of other people in a public place without their consent is legal, (at least in the US) it is EXTREMELY rude and people getting their pictures taken without consent have every right to be upset, even if they are in costume. (Remember, cosplay is NOT consent!) Also, there is a difference between asking someone for a picture and just taking a picture out of nowhere without asking.
__________________
Currently working on:

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Copyright 2002-2016 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.