Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Street Fighter

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
rhichan
Rhi, 'Nuff Said

Cool Chun Li...

I'm planning on doing Chun Li from Street Fight II...
Any tips or anecdotes you guys could offer?

"Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before."

Enchanted
rhichan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
AlikNyankoChan
Sanretsu Mitsukai.

Please don't make it out of cheap satin. Please. If you want satin, at least make it out of a heavy bridal satin. It would look nice in a heavy grade of silk...

Don't use platform boots.

~Alik

Digi Charat - Rabi~en~rose Illustration Style
Digi Charat - Rabi~en~rose mockup

Next Cons:

New York Anime Festival
Anime Boston
AlikNyankoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2004, 12:50 AM   #3
T4uRu$k4tt
where's the stalker map?

hehe, not a tip but an anecdote, i closet cosplayed the outfit she wears for like, one minute in the anime, and no one recognized who i was except for a couple other street fighter guys, lol. it was incredibly comfortable tho, i still wear it as pjs.

oh, and (this is totally an 'if i were you' thing, so feel free to ignore it) it might be more fun to do an alternate color instead of the basic blue, it might make you stand out from other chun-lis of the past (but so would good workmanship, so its' up to you, whatever your goal is with your cosplay, i just tend to think playing with colors of easily recognizable characters is fun, heh) ^^

~katt
T4uRu$k4tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
rhichan
Rhi, 'Nuff Said

AlikNyankochan:
I'm not planning to do it out of cheap satin. I got a gift certificate for a fabric store for my b-day for quite a bit, allowing me to do a costume I wasn't planning on.
And thanks for reminding me not to use platforms! (I tend to like them, but haven't used them on any costumes yet and was considering on this one.)

T4uRu$k4tt:
I want to do it in red, but it depends on what fabric I can find.

"Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before."

Enchanted
Unread 01-15-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
T4uRu$k4tt
where's the stalker map?

hehe, i'm jealous you got a fabric store gift cert!
red sounds good, but i agree, you might find something that strikes you when you're in the store...and no, i think you've made the right choice staying away from platforms~ they might even look good in pics, but *won't* feel good walking around! (besides, who'd really fight in platform shoes? ><)

~katt
T4uRu$k4tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
Chanté
da bananaz

Kindly opposing opinion: I like platform boots on Chun Li! I think cosplayers look kick ass with the "sExY boots" type thing. In other words, if you like them, then go for it! Not everyone is going to like the choices you make, so don't worry too much. ^^

I definitely agree with the cheap satin thing though x_x;;;; ^_^ Too much shininess definitely detracts from the costume, cause of all the details.

Sailor-Jupiter.net | Cristina's Tiki Journal | Sailor JAM-boree

University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
~ Class of 2011!! ~
Chanté is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2004, 02:59 AM   #7
AlikNyankoChan
Sanretsu Mitsukai.

Heh, the platform boots is kinda a personal preference. If they look good, and actually fit you(on an extremely large portion of cosplayers I've seen, they gap at the calf) and are the type the character wears, then go for it if you like it. Try to make the trim out of fabric rather than painted on. Make the buns large enough(but not too large). Hrm...and dark pink(or chocolate brown) or otherwise darker than your normal skin tone tights/pantyhose with no weave differencial on the thighs.

That's all for now ^^;;

~Alik-Nyanko

Digi Charat - Rabi~en~rose Illustration Style
Digi Charat - Rabi~en~rose mockup

Next Cons:

New York Anime Festival
Anime Boston
AlikNyankoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2004, 06:48 AM   #8
rhichan
Rhi, 'Nuff Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlikNyankoChan
Heh, the platform boots is kinda a personal preference. If they look good, and actually fit you(on an extremely large portion of cosplayers I've seen, they gap at the calf) and are the type the character wears, then go for it if you like it. Try to make the trim out of fabric rather than painted on. Make the buns large enough(but not too large). Hrm...and dark pink(or chocolate brown) or otherwise darker than your normal skin tone tights/pantyhose with no weave differencial on the thighs.

That's all for now ^^;;

~Alik-Nyanko
Thanks for more tips!
Painted trim... ugh. >_< Fabric takes more work, but it's worth it.
What do you think of non-opaque black tights?

Enchanted
Unread 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #9
Chanté
da bananaz

I agree - when buying, definitely make sure there's no "attached panty" darkened area at the top, cause it will show >_<

As long as they're not opaque, I think black tights would work. The goal is to get your legs a more darker brownish/reddish tone, like she has in the game. ^^

~ Class of 2011!! ~
Unread 01-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
squeaky
Chu Chu!

I agree SHEER TO WAIST TIGHTS!

I hate to see the darker "shorts" showing on chun li! (or any other costume for that matter.)

Also I found perfect Chun Li boots at electricboutique.com
http://www.electriqueboutique.com/sh...asp?id=23687-W

And at 20 bucks...what a deal!

I've always wanted to make a Chun Li costume...but I haven't had the ambition...the gold parts on her top..are very intimidating to me..
Unread 01-17-2004, 09:01 PM   #11
Lil
Esquire

All I have to say.... is make sure when you sew.... leave room for the boobage. -_-0 I was doing one outta scap red fabric the other day and no pattern... and it's a little tight in the wrong area.
Unread 01-18-2004, 11:23 PM   #12
yuffieleonheart

I myself am making the standard blue chun li costume for the capcom vs marvel event at megacon 2004 o_____X and i am at lost... where to find boots. i don't really want to wear platforms ^^; and sorry for intruding in the thread but if anybody knows where to find boots that resemble hers :: that aren't huge platforms :: could you post a link :3 ? thanks in advance ^^;
Unread 01-19-2004, 12:38 AM   #13
Chanté
da bananaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuffieleonheart
I myself am making the standard blue chun li costume for the capcom vs marvel event at megacon 2004 o_____X and i am at lost... where to find boots. i don't really want to wear platforms ^^; and sorry for intruding in the thread but if anybody knows where to find boots that resemble hers :: that aren't huge platforms :: could you post a link :3 ? thanks in advance ^^;
The boots linked from post #10 aren't too high, are they? ^^

~ Class of 2011!! ~
Unread 01-19-2004, 07:20 AM   #14
rhichan
Rhi, 'Nuff Said

yuffieleonhear: I found quite a few on E-bay, and the ones bananaluvs posted are really great! I'm definitely getting them! Also, I don't mind the intrusion! XD

Enchanted
Unread 01-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #15
yuffieleonheart

#_# wah :: hits her head :: i'm so silly i didn't even see that link o________x sorry! yes those are great :3 although.. i heard some bad news about that site... i'll look into it. ^_^ thank you!