Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 03-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
milo1312

angel mini photoshoot

this is a mini photoshoot i did with a friend at Katsucon 2012. please let me know what you think in term of the photo her pose colors and the lighting. In some i made it bright because she was an angel. In the first two photos i highlighted her hair to more blond so it would pop out more does this work?

image 4 is my fav one here facing the other way i really would like people thoughts on this

thank you

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

milo1312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
k-existence
Project Anime Cosplayer

some nice shots... but the photos seem grainy.. is that because of facebook or your camera?
I think the photos could be a bit warmer the colors seem greyish and a little cold.

not sure what kinda of camera you are using point and shoot or slr.
k-existence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
milo1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-existence View Post
some nice shots... but the photos seem grainy.. is that because of facebook or your camera?
I think the photos could be a bit warmer the colors seem greyish and a little cold.

not sure what kinda of camera you are using point and shoot or slr.
its because its facebook and had to change them to jpeg . ya i was not sure if it was me i thought it were a little cold...i will try the warmer colors.

using a D90 shooting in raw....but to place them on facebook i need to change them to jpeg
Unread 03-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I mainly see a post-processing problem
You said you shot RAW but needed to 'change' the photos to JPEG to post them on Facebook. The thing is, RAW doesn't work that way. RAW has to be developed in order to give flavor to the photo. Out of camera JPEG is already an interpretation of the raw data ; using said raw data yourself means you are the one interpreting the photo, not the camera, which is a good thing if you want to give your own interpretation, but it also means that you need to work a bit before publishing them.

These photos look underexposed. I guess you trusted the automations of your camera, but you were shooting someone dressed in white in a very bright environment, which is tricky for your camera. The automations expose for a medium 19% grey, which is good for most subjects, but was obviously too dark for this specific subject.
Also, raw 'as is' has minimum contrast and saturation, so before developing them, the photos look rather flat, with dull colors.
Hopefully, all this can be fixed by moving a few sliders in your developing software (Capture NX is Nikon's RAW developer, but you can also use Lightroom or Photoshop, or RAWTherapee...). You can add a bit of exposure (+0.5 to +1 EV) to get whiter whites and a brighter skin, add some contrast and a bit of saturation. You can fine tune saturation by color if you want (I'd push the yellows a bit here, with a bit of general vibrance).

Also, if you want people to see the hard work you put in a photo, please please put it somewhere else than facebook. Picasa and flickr don't destroy your photos when you upload them, so get yourself an account on one of these. Picasa is free, flickr has a free option too (but it's a bit limited). They both provide tools to help you share the pictures you upload.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
milo1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
I mainly see a post-processing problem
You said you shot RAW but needed to 'change' the photos to JPEG to post them on Facebook. The thing is, RAW doesn't work that way. RAW has to be developed in order to give flavor to the photo. Out of camera JPEG is already an interpretation of the raw data ; using said raw data yourself means you are the one interpreting the photo, not the camera, which is a good thing if you want to give your own interpretation, but it also means that you need to work a bit before publishing them.

These photos look underexposed. I guess you trusted the automations of your camera, but you were shooting someone dressed in white in a very bright environment, which is tricky for your camera. The automations expose for a medium 19% grey, which is good for most subjects, but was obviously too dark for this specific subject.
Also, raw 'as is' has minimum contrast and saturation, so before developing them, the photos look rather flat, with dull colors.
Hopefully, all this can be fixed by moving a few sliders in your developing software (Capture NX is Nikon's RAW developer, but you can also use Lightroom or Photoshop, or RAWTherapee...). You can add a bit of exposure (+0.5 to +1 EV) to get whiter whites and a brighter skin, add some contrast and a bit of saturation. You can fine tune saturation by color if you want (I'd push the yellows a bit here, with a bit of general vibrance).

Also, if you want people to see the hard work you put in a photo, please please put it somewhere else than facebook. Picasa and flickr don't destroy your photos when you upload them, so get yourself an account on one of these. Picasa is free, flickr has a free option too (but it's a bit limited). They both provide tools to help you share the pictures you upload.
i just learned this in class about 19% and how white is hard...its funny i come on and read your comment makes me smile because to me it shows people are really trying to help each other with real info that will help

thank you about the other places to post my photos i will def look into them.

i am still learning about colors and how to edit....i like to learn by doing...and get feed back...school is great but i need as much feed back as possible again thank you all for posting so far
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Your photos do look a bit dark; some more than others. Brightening them using Image, Adjust, Levels will help a lot. Try dragging the highlight slider on the histogram to the left, until it touches the base of the "mountain-like" formation to get your whites up without blowing them out. The med-tone slider will automatically move to the left too, but you might need to boost that brighter when you are done moving the highlight slider.

I noticed a cyan cast in most of your images. Add red to your Color Balance, and that should bring in some much better skin tones and over-all color balance.

If you aren't already, get familiar with the color wheel that shows which colors are opposite. It will help you know which colors too add or subtract to correct color.

Try a different color setting on your camera. Even try doing a custom white balance, if you have time.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
milo1312

I have been learning the levels and learning the color wheel trying to get better in color correcting.

I still have a long way to go like i said i am student still everything you said we just went over class a few weeks ago now its just doing it over and over again to i get better with it

thank you for the advice about the color correction in levels i was trying to figure out how i can make the whites brighter with out blowing them out but i had no luck.

thank you for the help and comments