Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
bunchabugs

Insecurities while working out.

I thought having a thread like this might be nice since I was terribly intimidated when I first started working out im sure others are. This might be a good thread to relate to others or provide ways to help encourage others through their insecurities, with their own stories.

I use to be afraid about going to the gym period, my mind just thought of middle school and failing my fitness tests and figured going to the gym would be something like that. However, I had my sister who was really cool and encouraged me to try the gym out, she invited me to go with her on her next visit. So of course when I got there I was nervous, but it wasn't anything to worry about, no body cared that I was there it was just everyone doing there own thing.

A time came when I didnt have my sister and I had to look for a new gym. I was nervous again because its alot easier to do something when there is someone there to support you.. Anywho it was an adventure I was intimidated by the first gym I visited it was filled with these super buff people even the women were all muscled up. So I kind of ran out of there. I, despite being clearly intimidated by the atmosphere of the last gym continued to look around. I eventually found and joined planet fitness after three trys, because of people and atmosphere it had (rates didnt hurt either).

Moral of the story, if your curious about the gym and know someone who goes to one ask them about it or see if you can visit the gym they work out at. Look around,research, visit gyms, find a place that makes you feels comfortable and go for it. For me the gym was a place I came to enjoy visiting.

Current insecurities. This is something Im still working on, im 226 and have an E cup, because of this I tend not to run or move around to much because I feel like people stare at me. I havent found bras that fit the bill for more intense work outs so I just try to work out longer but i dont feel like im accomplishing much because im not working harder.
bunchabugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
caseygraves

I've never really gone to the gym myself (except for Curves with my mom a few times when I was younger), but I can imagine how it would be intimidating. Right now, I've settled for 30 minutes of DDR with ankle weights a day. Seems to be working for now. Though, my apartment does have a workout room, so if that stops working, I could definitely use that.
caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Kiro

I've gone to the gym a few times. Going alone is definitely intimidating for aforementioned reasons. Going with someone else... you really do realize that everyone is just focusing on their own thing and could really care less about you.

Personally don't have the time to go to the gym, so I work with what I have... which is probably somewhat more than what the small gyms that some hotels have. Have the equipment, just need to go and use them.

2015 Conventions
AnimeNEXT
MAGFest?
Otakon?
PAX East
PwnEm Con?
Steampunk World's Fair?

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
CastlePoint
Otakon
Steampunk World's Fair
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Chirudesu
Flash Goddess Chiru

I don't have gym membership money anyway so I choose to work out at home, but I definitely have trouble doing anything that involves being outside. I want to start jogging but I get really really nervous about that, I can just imagine people gawking at me trying to jog like a normal person and I just find the whole practice of running evil. I've yet to find a bra that really fits me (I discovered I'm an F Cup 0__0) so running always hurts my chest and I just generally hate it. Bad colorguard memories XD but I've found alternatives like Zumba and just speed walking that help somewhat.

私の世界 夢と恋と不安で出来てる。。。
Chirudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Somsai
Guyver 01

I personally like going alone. When you go with friends (other guys) they tend to clown around a bit too much. I wouldn't understand being insecure in the gym since most of those ppl are normal ppl just trying to get in better shape. As for those big buff ppl, it must have been the time where body builders go in and work out. Its best you try to choose a different time.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I do go to the gym, and my only thing is worrying if others think my routine is too low level. Of course, since I'm not an avid fitness person I am still quite out of shape and so I have to take my time and do it how I can.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somsai View Post
I personally like going alone. When you go with friends (other guys) they tend to clown around a bit too much. I wouldn't understand being insecure in the gym since most of those ppl are normal ppl just trying to get in better shape. As for those big buff ppl, it must have been the time where body builders go in and work out. Its best you try to choose a different time.
I applaud you. Air Gear is freaking awesome.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
koreanjuliette

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
I've never really gone to the gym myself (except for Curves with my mom a few times when I was younger), but I can imagine how it would be intimidating. Right now, I've settled for 30 minutes of DDR with ankle weights a day. Seems to be working for now. Though, my apartment does have a workout room, so if that stops working, I could definitely use that.
30 minutes of DDR with ankle weights? That's brilliant! ;;''
Thank you for giving me the idea!

As for insecurities while working out; I used to be much, much chubbier than I am right now during the end of elementary school and almost all throughout junior high. During the times that I was working out in the gym, I absolutely hated how my chubby cheeks would move along with me!

But now that I look back at it; a gym is for people who want to build up muscle/lose weight. I shouldn't have been so insecure about it, because in the end it all really paid off!
koreanjuliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
PsychoShinobi

ankle weights and weighted vests and etc are bad for your joints if you are doing any high impact exercises, your joints arent used to the sudden extra added weights.
PsychoShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapthefatcat View Post
I applaud you. Air Gear is freaking awesome.
And I respect you for loving this awesome Anime/Manga!

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
ForeverrCaitlin

I have the same problem. I'm terribly shy and really want to go out and start running or at least walking but I don't want to do it by myself and I don't have any friends in the area to do it with me. to make I worse I don't want to tell my mom that I want to go 'workout' its just awkward. so i'm here stuck in a rut :/
ForeverrCaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
bunchabugs

Caitlin, once you get exercising and start seeing results you'll kick yourself in the tush for not doing it sooner. My mom mentioned exercise tapes at the library. Something I never thought of so you can try working out in privacy just to get more comfortable with the idea of just exercising. I'm starting to try this again, I feel slightly ridiculous cause I can't keep up but I have to remind myself I'm not a professional trainer, and my dog isn't secretly laughing at me in the corner.
bunchabugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #13
RobbieRenegade
don't sweat my swag

I like going to the gym alone, but only when i'm in a bad mood and just need to sweat it out. If its just a reg work out going with my friend Brian, who is a full blown gym nut, helps cause he keeps me focused

Current works:
NLR Lunar Special Tactics Squad costume

Hunter L4D

Facebook <----feel free to add me
RobbieRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
GelaMin

I go to the gym now, at first it scared me and I was embarrassed to do stuff in front of other people, but now I realize that I am trying to better myself and if they find anything funny about what I am doing they can shove it, but I always just assume that people just see a girl trying to work out and get healthy. Because that's all you are, a person trying to be healthy. And that's admirable!

Also, hello everyone! My name is Angela(most people call me Gela) I am new so I wanted to say hi!
GelaMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
LadyMisaGaga
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich

I am hella intimidated by the gym XD I'm a girl who's just really scared of buff dudes! Lol so I exercise via my wii. I love it because I'm by myself yet it guides me as a trainer would. I get so confused by gyms and mahines. Best advice is do what make u feel good. I do 30 mins of weights and such by ea active and apps from my iPhone that are free I advise jefit it gives a number of exercises step by step for every muscle group. Then I do 30 to 60 mins of cardio Bly favorite is just dance. Great workout and a lot of fun!! Good luck everyone!!
LadyMisaGaga is offline   Reply With Quote