Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Haloe12

Skyward Sword Zelda help?

Hi, I'm making my first outfit, and I decided to cosplay as Zelda from Skyward Sword, but the only thing I'm really experienced somewhat in is sewing!

So I don't really know where to start.. D: I haven't found much help in looking up answers in google, but I've found things like this that gives me a general idea of what I need to do:
http://www.pixelninja.se/progresszeldaskyward.htm

But I'm not sure how she made the diamonds? Or the frame for the diamonds, or how to get them on the dress/belt. D: haha. So I'm a little lost, and I could use some help/tutorials on what to do to get started. I wasn't sure what exactly to look for here... So I figured I'd just ask. .n.

Thank you so much.
Haloe12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

She made the diamonds with resin - as did I. Michael's sells some small boxes of Cast'n'Craft clear casting resin with the catalyst which uses a 1:1 formula - so it's super easy to use. You'll probably have to make a mold for it, however, which you can easily do with some sculpey clay, liquid latex, and resin spray (to prime the mold before resin casting). But really, you could get the mold just about anyway you see fit so long as you get your desired shape. The whole process is rather pricey, though. Ended up costing me nearly about $50. If you're not willing to shell that out, you can always try searching for some fake blue diamonds or try buying the supplies online (which probably would be much cheaper). Like all chemically made things, you do have to be VERY careful when using it, though, and I highly advise reading the instructions very carefully.

I have no idea what she used for the diamond frame, but what I'm going with is craft foam frames. For the broach, I'll be gluing the ribbon I'm using for biasing around the frame, to match with the rest of the biasing. It shall be held on the dress via snaps (which is reinforced with hot glue so the foam won't tear).

The sash buckle was actually really tricky for me. I made the whole sash from scratch, including the buckle - which is made from craft foam (cosplayer's best friend, lol). Again, I made the frame for the gem with craft foam. I just had to do some careful cutting and glued (hot glue) the craft foam frame onto the gem. The gem is also hot glued to the cogwheel shape. The "buckle" itself is removable via Velcro, and hooks onto the belt with something that's not quite a hook/eye (not sure what it's called D: ). Whatever the case, if you decide to make your sash and buckle from scratch, really think it out. I did this flying off the seat of my pants and there are plenty of things I would have done better had I just sat down and thought it out. D:

While I have no idea what pixelninja used for her belt, I used wood pieces for mine. I got the pieces I needed from here, specifically the 2-3/8" x 1/4" Wood Circles and 2" x 5/16" Wooden Domed Discs. You can always buy these at a local craft store if they have them, but you'd be pretty much be paying $4 for a pack of five, while these give you 25 pieces for like $6! I just glued them together, slapped some primer on them, painted them, and then glued them to a sheer ribbon I had at home. It closes together with a hook and eye, and is reinforced on the ribbon with wood glue.

That's just for those parts, and these are just what I did. You can use them as ideas or reference, and if you have any other questions regarding these or any other parts of the outfit, I'd be glad to give my input.:3
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
narutokunobsess

If your using the easy cast stuff, I found that you can also use hard card stock paper to make your mold by doing an oragami thing. Then use mold builder on that. Put some soap on it so it can peel off a bit better. Then you use some plaster strips over the mold to give the support on the ouside. Then take the plaster mold our and continue to let it dry a bit. Once done, you then need to slowly and carefully peal the paper out.

Then you need something to balance it while its casting, and torch (you can also use a fire lighter), to get rid of the bubbles as its casting. I used a cutting board thing. Place your mold on the cutting board and the make your resin with easy cast and your desired color and pour it in.

Once it all hardens which is about 2-3 days, take it out. There was some left over texture from the paper as I used construction paper. To take out that imperfection, you can paint another layer of resin, or also used dura clear polythurane gloss varnish. Dura clear is amazing though, and it really gets rid of the texture of the paper anyway.

Once you got all that together, then all you do is back the diamond, which is what pixel ninja did in that painting thing. You can paint it, or also you can use tagboard, wich is just a fancy term for posterboard.

The easy cast can only cast up to 6 ounces, but you only really need five. Trust me, you only need like 5 ounces to make this diamond. It probably cost a little less then half because I used coupons and went in everyday with one coupon to Micheals to get my supplyful. And note its the watered down tutorial a bit.

So the stuff you need is..

For preping the mold
Soap
Brush

Mold stuff
Wax paper (a place to place your mold and resin to not get the floor dirty)
Mold builder
Brush, preferably a fan brush that doesn't have hairs falling out. Fan brushes will watse less mold builder as its desing to smooth out and cover a big area, but with small amount of paint or whatever your using.
Hard paper that won't tear and that can support the mold builder.
Plaster or something to support it.

Resin
Easy Cast Clear casting resin. Only one box of 8 ounces is needed, but its recommended you have two just in case you mess up.
A place to balance your mold such as an open box. You place your mold on the edge of the box.
Coloring dye.

Optional Depending on the conditions and/or if you can avoid spilling
If indoors, use a fan
If its cold, A heat source, like a lamp right over the resin.
A mask to not breath in the fumes.
Gloves if you don't want to feel sticky.
Rubbing alcohol if you need to clean up messes.

Finishings and backings
Sandpaper to sand the edges. Do not sand the diamond surface or it won't be clear.
Dura Clear Gloss Varnish.
A brush for the Varnish
Chrome Poster board. If you want a colored chrome, you have to purchase some car paint and stuff, but sticking with just the silver in the store is fine.
Hot glue
High temp hot glue sticks.
Rubbing alcohol if you need to remove the backing. If you have nail polish remover, that works too.

I did this whole thing with my fi diamond and it looks great, except for that accident that I didn't see that rice stuck on the point when casting. Terrible D:. I even tried to fix it, which is why some things are sticking out. But still even with the rice and if you don't get that mistake of accidently having rice in there, your good to go.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 03-17-2012 at 02:55 AM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

I put more details in my description of my Zelda cosplay but for starters, I got myself a pattern for the dress using Butterick B4827. The diamonds I actually use plastic plates that I cut out, glued and painted to make the shape (which is much cheaper than resin, although not as pretty up-close).

My circle disc belt was tricky to do but I ended up using this tutorial for the rounded parts and then just glued them onto foam board. I'm not sure if it is cheaper in the long run as opposed to just buying them online. Plus my belt was a little heavy...

All the yellow/gold designs I used bias tape (which can be a pain) but I've seen people use fabric paint. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help!
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
miiranel

So how did you guys get your resin diamonds to stick to the dress?
Also, what did you all do for the gold trimming?
miiranel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

I used ribbon for my dress~

As for the resin diamond, I basically made a brooch out of craft foam. I gave the diamond the blue backing, but before I glued it onto the craft foam (which goes slightly over the diamond to give it that encased effect), I sewed snaps onto the back of it, that way I can remove the diamond when I want to wash the dress. After that, I glued the the diamond onto the craft foam and shaped the foam accordingly. Since just leaving the snaps sewn on to the craft foam can easily tear the foam, I reinforced it with glue which has worked out excellently. Getting the snaps on the dress to line up with the snaps on the brooch was the tricky part, but with the help of just a bit of white out, I got it on perfectly. And just to make the yellow around the diamond match the yellow in the dress, I covered the visible part of the yellow craft foam with the ribbon I used for the biasing. ^^

For the Future:
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Matsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutokunobsess View Post

I think your gem is amazing! I'm having the hardest time finding the right dye to get that color. May I ask, what you used for the dye? I'm also using easycast resin.

At first I tried just making my gems clear and putting a blue backing to the bottom, but the gems come out too opaque. It seems the best way is to dye the resin.
Matsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuki View Post
I think your gem is amazing! I'm having the hardest time finding the right dye to get that color. May I ask, what you used for the dye? I'm also using easycast resin.

At first I tried just making my gems clear and putting a blue backing to the bottom, but the gems come out too opaque. It seems the best way is to dye the resin.
If you bought your resin in-store, they should be right near there. If you bought your resin online, just search resin dye on the website you originally got it front. But you have to be careful with Resin dye, because a little goes a really long way. Do make sure that when you get it, it also has the words "transparent dye" because if not, it will come out opaque.

As a side note, have you sealed your gems yet? Because my gems also came out opaque until I sprayed the gloss seal on them. Then they became nice and trasnparent instead of their original frosty-opaque.

For the Future:
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Matsuki

I saw the transparent dye they had, but I wasn't sure that it'd give the right shade so I've been trying other dyes. I used an ocean blue colored fabric dye and got this:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...33637 8_n.jpg
The lighting on the photo is off though, because it's more of a true blue rather than a sky. ):

I had no idea about sealing the gems though. What's the brand of gloss seal that you used? o_o Thank you for this.
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Uuuuh... I actually don't know. It was some spray seal that's been lying around my house for as long as I can remember sooooo... ^^; I know modge podge is popular brand, but really, I'm one of those people who'll grab whatever - so I'm kind of the worst person to ask. ^^;

I know they keep the modge podge right next to the resin, though, but there are others they keep with the spray paint too. But really, you can just ask an employee and chances are they'll know what you're talking about. >.>

For the Future:
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
narutokunobsess

I used the dye they had at the store at micheals. It was the primary dye set, and I think it was non opaque. The problem with the blue is, its not the diamond blue you see that. I had forgotten to mix the primary blue with a dot of red. Zelda's diamond is a reddish blue or a blue towards violet. So yea, when you do your diamond, make sure to add a dot of red and more blue. But since mine was dry, it was too late to change that.

To fixed this , I back it with a metalic color. The reason for a shiny metalic color is to make it more reflective and shiny when its in the sun. This tutorial kind of explained why you back it and how to do it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493JY...feature=relmfu

A little extra step is added because there isn't such a thing as a metalic blue spray paint, other then the car paints. So I used dupli color stuff and spray it on the tagboard, which is the fancy word for posterboard. First you need to spray the ground coat, and then you need to spray the blue spray paint. Follow directions on the can. Then you just follow the youtube tutorial afterwards. JUst really fill up the back with hot glue and you have to quicky spread it out before it cures a bit. All you do is keep layering it till you feel satisfied with the coat.

Ground coat:
http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-MC...gy_auto_text_c

Blue spray paint:
http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-MC...64562&sr= 1-1

The color you see currently is the result of backing the diamond with the transparent dye.
Before (with just the dye):
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...4610 82_n.jpg

After with the backing:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...66545876_n.jpg

For sealing it, you just use layers of dura clear gloss varinish. It dries quickly on the diamond, and it doesn't smell. I used this in alot of places actually, since its not just for diamonds. Its very useful in any crafting project. I like it for foam, because it at least protects spray paint from cracking when you bend it. Its dries like a plastic. I learn this technique from ichigokitty. Its really good gloss, and the paper texture really dissapeared as I layered more gloss on it.

The dye type really doesn't matter. There are people who even used food coloring as dyes. Though I got the one that was in a primary set. I think it was Micheal that carried that brand.

I saw also from pixelninja, she just painted the back to have that glow. Im assuming its acrylic paints.

Sorry I didn't explain that before.

For sticking the dress, I found that the stickness of the industrial velcro worked for my fi cosplay, but then again, the fabrics Im wearing are very slick surface, so its easy to peel off. You should test the industrial velcro on another piece of fabric. But all other suggestions currently are fine. XD.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 04-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutokunobsess View Post

I saw also from pixelninja, she just painted the back to have that glow. Im assuming its acrylic paints.
Just to emphasize on this, when it comes to cosplay - ALWAYS assume acrylic. Having taken a painting class, I can easily tell you that oil takes FOREVER to dry... and sometimes it never dries. So acrylic is always the way to go. >.>

For the Future:
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
Matsuki

Wow, the backing makes such a huge difference. Instead of spaying cardboard though, I wonder if it'd be also effective to glue the gem to blue foil origami paper instead.

I've definitely got to pick up the dura clear gloss varinish you mentioned though. And I figured the dye type didn't matter so much- but the color you were able to get is really good. My blue gem made with fabric dye looks about the same as yours. Maybe it can be salvaged after all with the right backing.

Thank you so much narutokunobsess and Reily96 for the tips!
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
narutokunobsess

Yea Im pretty sure its acrylics since its fast drying, somewhat cheaper and non toxic. Its plastic, so its pretty flexible.

About the varnish, its seem it protective if you don't stress the material too much or if you bend it alot. My helmet crack for my fi cosplay, but that's only because I kept on shoving it over my mask and that it was pretty tight fitting, that the paint cracked. So you should still make sure to make the paint is flexible for the material you work with if it's going to pushed in with alot of stress. Acrylics will work.

Though since your working with a diamond, this advice doesn't matter at all since its not being shove into a part of the body or flexing. But its good warning in the future if you decide you need something to flex.