Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
pc_alchemist
Lolita Princess

Question Mane n' Tail Detangler, Motions Oil Sheen Spray, Or Silicone Spray Lubricant?

So I have heard great things about each of these detangling/prevent tangle methods. What I want to know is what are the pros and cons for all three so I can decide which method I would like to use for my wigs. As far as I can see all three seem to work. Is there any real difference? I would really like your opinion! Thank you!
pc_alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
ScribblesITM
Just Call me Alex

Mane and tail is really cheep for a massive amount and you can spray and detangle right away instead of waiting. Also, based on me being able to do it, it is pretty idiot proof. You don't need a lot of it either. I can't even tell any of my bottle has been used after detangling every wig I own and it kept my waist length wig with a funky clip on as well in good shape. I mean I brushed it out like twice during a long con day, and I mean like 15 minutes with a wig brush kept it good all day. The con is it gets EVERYWHERE. You think you don't get it on the bathroom floor, and you did. And that sucker turns linoleum into a skating rink. FYI rubbing alcohol or vinegar will get it off the floor if you make this mistake, took me three days of bathroom skating to find that out. I've never used the others. Oh, and the MT doesn't leave a weird residue to get stuff dirty.

Also the MT is a regular spray bottle so no nasty propellants

Planned Cons:[/u]
Anime USA 2014, katsucon 2015, Regeneration WHO 2015

Cosplays
Rin - Naruto (done)
FMA uniform (done)
Rarity - MLP (99% done)
Team Magma - Pokemon (Done)
Tasha Lem - Doctor Who (reworking 70% done)
Lucy Saxon - Doctor Who (20% done)
ScribblesITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
AshofRebirth

I'm pretty sure Mane n Tail and Silicon Lubricant is the same thing. But I'm not sure.
I use only Motions so far:
*It's more for a one-time detangling fix. It really helps detangle the first time, but it doesn't really PREVENT future tangling like Silicon supposedly does. You can of course, use it over and over again. But it doesn't actually prevent tangling. Just gets rid of them once it happens.
*It's pretty oily
*Like with Scribbles's description, this too, gets everywhere. I can't really compare to the others since I don't have the others yet. But it makes everywhere oily rather than slippery
*It doesn't take very long to dry. Maybe a day or two. And you can reaaaaaaalllllly douse your wig with the stuff to get out mean tangles if you really want to. Since it is meant for real hair, the stuff will evaporate/dry over time (which is also while it doesn't help prevent tangles). It will dry out after awhile like the wig was brand-new (okay, maybe not BRAND new, but you get what I mean). I don't think you can do that with silicon.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!

Last edited by AshofRebirth : 03-21-2012 at 02:56 AM.
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
LittleKagsin

Mane N Tail and Silicon are not the same thing. They're just used in the same way. Mane N Tail is a real shampoo/conditioner that you can use on your own hair. Silicone is something you definately want to keep away from your own head.

Silicone spray and Motions is more what you use to prevent tangles, spray it on before hand and let it dry over night. Those products make the wig fibers 'slippery' so they don't stick together. I use Mane N Tail to upkeep the wig and use it to detangle a wig after a convention.

2011 Cosplays:
Super Alice (remake) - 0%
(surprise) - 20%
Steampunk Harley - 2%

Bayonetta - 25%
Catwoman - 40%
LittleKagsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Silicone Spray Lubricant I uses only to pretreat or detangle a long wigs the first time.

Mane n' Tail Detangler has Silicone in it but lower concentration so I use it in maintenance on wigs that have been pretreated with Silicone spray.

Motions Oil Sheen Spray is purely oil based and just don't like using anymore as I used it to detangle a long wig the amount I end up using leave the wig in a greasy mess for week before it starts to dry down.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
FeyMeggan

I've used all three and everyone has listed all the 'pros' here, have some 'cons' I've run into first:

Mane'n'tail: The silicon makes the wig not as slippery as I'd like for really, really tangled parts, and takes ages to 'dry' so I can start working. Also, never, ever use it in a room with hard wood/linolium unless you want to slip'n'slide for days in that area.

Silicone Lubricant: Many of the same above issues, topped with a smell I do not like at all. If you've hand dyed the wig, the propellants in the can might cause the ink dye to streak out of the areas it hits, making the wig streaky.

Motions Oil Sheen: Takes a while to dry, and smells pretty strongly of almonds. Not great if you dislike the smell and/or have friends that are allergic(they sorta freak out). It can also leave residue on the wig(but all three can really).

The 'pros' I find:

Mane'n'Tail: Inexpensive, will work on every wig you come across, and doesn't stink.

Silicone Lubricant: Works like a charm on really badly messed up wigs.

Motions: Works on dyed or not dyed wigs, drys a bit faster than the other two, and doesn't smell 'bad', but it will have an odor for a while.

Sanity Check
Costume list 2009: Finished 17 initially planned :: 15 completed :: 6 moved to next year
Costume list 2010: Started 6 from '09 :: 9 initially planned, now up to 22 total
FeyMeggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeyMeggan View Post
Silicone Lubricant: Many of the same above issues, topped with a smell I do not like at all. If you've hand dyed the wig, the propellants in the can might cause the ink dye to streak out of the areas it hits, making the wig streaky.
That why I don't want to dye long wig as maintenance with Alcohol based dyes become impossible.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

I've been using Mane n Tail for about 15 years on horses (though its been under different names like Show Sheen or Cowboy and things, but its the same thing most of the time, I just get the cheapest lol XP) and I've always found its great, if it can get burrs out of a horses tail, it can untangle a wig, and MAN can it untangle and de-burr a horses tail... I will never use anything else on my wigs or horses... why spend more then $8 when you don't have to? And I don't wear socks inside/the only hardwood is in the bathroom, which I DON'T style my wigs in anyways, so I don't have to worry about the slipping XP
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
AshofRebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKagsin View Post
Mane N Tail and Silicon are not the same thing. They're just used in the same way. Mane N Tail is a real shampoo/conditioner that you can use on your own hair. Silicone is something you definately want to keep away from your own head.

Silicone spray and Motions is more what you use to prevent tangles, spray it on before hand and let it dry over night. Those products make the wig fibers 'slippery' so they don't stick together. I use Mane N Tail to upkeep the wig and use it to detangle a wig after a convention.
Ah okay, so they're used in the same way. That's probably what I read before then. My mistake

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
pc_alchemist
Lolita Princess

Thanks everyone this was really helpful!
pc_alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
char99char
Crazy for costumes

I know I'm late to responding - but I have used Motions Oil Sheen in the past and won't use it again. It did a great job detangling the wig but it seemed to get really dirty and sticky just from wearing it to cons and storing it on a wig head in a box. Maybe I just started with a cheap wig but the fiber definitely deteriorated and the wig became unusable. Since then I've used Revlon wig conditioner. It does take a little more patience to comb through but long term my wigs have held up a lot better.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote