Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
RainingEri

What else can I do?

Alright, so I started working out with my dad a few weeks ago because I hit 195 lbs and didn't want to make it to 200 lbs. I've now dipped below 190 lbs and have reached the point where my body starts craving exercise. I wake up in the morning and the first thing I do is the treadmill. It takes me between 16 and 20 minutes to get to a mile, occasionally I'll go over but most of the time I stop there. Then for the next half hour or so I do weight lifting, usually random sets of stuff to confuse my body.

That usually keeps me satisfied for a morning routine, but lately I've been wanting to exercise again later in the afternoon. The tiredness of the morning stuff will wear off and I'll want to do something else.

So I'm looking for advice on what I should be doing. Should I do more cardio, more weights? Maybe something else entirely?

What I have access to: treadmill, jump-rope, weights, pilates and yoga dvds, an on demand fitness channel with random things like yoga, kickboxing, sometimes dance, sometimes pilates, weight routines, etc, and the Zumba game for the Wii (which is fun, but I'm not always in the mood for that kind of thing).
RainingEri is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Gemini25
~Gemini

I would do more cardio if you want to see results. I would also work on being able to run the mile faster, at a slower/leisurely pace (not giving it my all) I usually run 2 miles in about 18-20 minutes. But that's pretty slow, if I really pushed myself I could run the mile in 7.5-8 minutes.

I would do some interval training too, that could help you to become faster as well.

I usually run 2 miles 3-4 times a week and am running it between 6-7mph, I take 2-3 1 minute "walk breaks" at 4-4.5 mph. How fast are you going on the treadmill?

If you go faster, you may not just burn more calories but it will also save you time. Running one mile in 16-20 minutes is a reallly long time. But if you just started and are not used to running, it will take sometime. Don't rush or push yourself too hard, but just gradually work up to being able to run the mile in at least 10 minutes. That will make a huge difference!

It's good that you are also doing things to confuse your body. btw, are you a girl or a guy? I do a few reps with weights but not very much because I'm not looking to gain muscle mass etc.

Jump rope is excellent, and pilates/yoga/zumba are GREAT. If you can get ahold of P90x and stick to it, I suggest you do that too.

What is the diet you are sticking too? That is always half of weight loss.
Gemini25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
RainingEri

Lol, sorry, should have mentioned, I'm a girl (I forget I haven't put my pic up here yet).

On the treadmill my routine is usually walk for .05 of a mile at 3.5 mph and then jog .05 of a mile at 5 mph on and off. I'm trying to build up to just running it but I run out of breath really easy.

I weight lift with my dad, but even though we are doing the same exercise we do it differently. He uses more weight and does fewer reps while I use less weight and do more reps. Also when he does regular curls I do hammer curls because the regular ones build bigger muscles while hammer builds leaner muscles.

My diet, right now, isn't a set thing. I've eliminated starches and sodas from my diet (actually I only drink water and grapefruit juice, mostly water though), I'm trying to get rid of carbs (not completely, but I do eat too many), but any carbs I do eat usually come in the form of multi-grains or whole wheat.
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Somsai
Guyver 01

Too much of anything can be bad for you, but as long as you can get in a good amount then you're fine.
When I'm dieting I get on a high protein and low carb diet.
I just eat more lean meats and cut back a little bit on carbs.
I don't count calories, but it works for me.

As for juice they are high in sugar so I wouldn't really recommend it.
Fresh fruits are the way to go.

Weight lifting is great to lose weight and get toned up!
It burns an extra amount of calories, and you build a descent amount of muscle.

I usually jog at 3.8-4.0 speed on incline for about 45-60 minutes.

Lets say you can only run about 30 minutes today.
The next day you add another 5 minutes.
This will help increase your endurance and stamina.
I've done this before and it definitely helps a lot.

Ex. Diet:
Skinless Chicken Breast, 1/2 Cup Brown Rice, Asparagus (Vegetable of choice)

For a snack I just eat a granola bar, light yogurt, or a protein shake with half-frozen banana.

This is just what I do personally.
Hope it helps a bit.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)

Last edited by Somsai : 03-21-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Gemini25
~Gemini

What about people wanting to tone DOWN muscle? I have a lot of muscle on my legs/arms etc and I have been hesitant to lift weights often because I don't want to build it up.
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingEri View Post
I weight lift with my dad, but even though we are doing the same exercise we do it differently. He uses more weight and does fewer reps while I use less weight and do more reps. Also when he does regular curls I do hammer curls because the regular ones build bigger muscles while hammer builds leaner muscles.
This isn't quite how it works. The standard biceps curl focuses on the bicep muscle "heads" or what people typically think of as the biceps. The hammer curl, while hitting these also, focuses more on the brachialis (iirc) muscle, which is sort of buried in the center of the arm between the biceps and triceps.

Traditionally, working the hammer curl movement is thought to increase size and length of the biceps muscle (visually) whereas a standard curl or supinated curl will work the peak more.

----
As to what you ought to do. Work up your cardio; either go longer or go harder. If you can do one mile now aim for 1.5, then 2 then 3; all within a manageable amount of time.

For the weight lifting, its awesome that you do it, but find some structure. Just doing whatever you feel like is not all that efficient nor effective. It will yield results for a while, but you can get a lot more mileage for your time.

Just remember, this is a process and a lifestyle. Take your time and do it right.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini25 View Post
What about people wanting to tone DOWN muscle? I have a lot of muscle on my legs/arms etc and I have been hesitant to lift weights often because I don't want to build it up.
Trust me...chances of a girl getting bulky muscles are very slim.
A friend of mine is a girl, and she has been lifting weights
for a good 5 months and she looks just tone.
Girls don't have the same testosterone levels as a guy
so they can't get as big as us.
Weights are perfect for men and women.
Especially if you are a women and want to
have that nice tone athletic body. <3

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
RainingEri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
This isn't quite how it works. The standard biceps curl focuses on the bicep muscle "heads" or what people typically think of as the biceps. The hammer curl, while hitting these also, focuses more on the brachialis (iirc) muscle, which is sort of buried in the center of the arm between the biceps and triceps.

Traditionally, working the hammer curl movement is thought to increase size and length of the biceps muscle (visually) whereas a standard curl or supinated curl will work the peak more.

----
As to what you ought to do. Work up your cardio; either go longer or go harder. If you can do one mile now aim for 1.5, then 2 then 3; all within a manageable amount of time.

For the weight lifting, its awesome that you do it, but find some structure. Just doing whatever you feel like is not all that efficient nor effective. It will yield results for a while, but you can get a lot more mileage for your time.

Just remember, this is a process and a lifestyle. Take your time and do it right.
Good to know, thanks.

I don't just mean we randomly do whatever. Each day we work on a different muscle group, but we never do it in the same order as the last time we worked that group. Like, one day we'll do shoulders, and we'll do front, side, and back specific raises, while the next time we work the shoulders we'll do side, then back, then front.

It's just to keep the muscles from getting used to an exercise to the point where it doesn't do anything anymore.
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Gemini25
~Gemini

I'm pretty toned/athletic now, but I would rather get the leaner/skinner build that isn't as toned with muscle.

What is a good work out for thighs besides running? That is the main area I want to tone down.

I was doing squats but I was told that is a body building exercise and I don't want more muscle on my legs, they are big enough as is and that is due to muscle. I want to thin them out, and not build.
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Arti

Quote:
What is a good work out for thighs besides running? That is the main area I want to tone down.

I was doing squats but I was told that is a body building exercise and I don't want more muscle on my legs, they are big enough as is and that is due to muscle. I want to thin them out, and not build.
It's actually... heavier squats.

Don't get misinformed that it's just gonna add increase bulk to your thighs. Women have a difficult time building muscle mass due to the lack of testosterone. Instead the muscle simply becomes more "toned". Also, women keep a lot of fat around their thighs so it can be deceptive of actually how much muscle is actually is from your thighs. Since Muscle is much more denser than fat it actually makes the thighs smaller as long as fat covering the thighs is removed, and that still requires a discipled diet.

Heavy squats will not other than build dense muscle, but the recovery period will also burn come calories too, allowing additional fat loss. If you just skimp out on the squats in fear of them becoming large, the opportunity for additional fat loss gets wasted each time.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
It's actually... heavier squats.

Don't get misinformed that it's just gonna add increase bulk to your thighs. Women have a difficult time building muscle mass due to the lack of testosterone. Instead the muscle simply becomes more "toned". Also, women keep a lot of fat around their thighs so it can be deceptive of actually how much muscle is actually is from your thighs. Since Muscle is much more denser than fat it actually makes the thighs smaller as long as fat covering the thighs is removed, and that still requires a discipled diet.

Heavy squats will not other than build dense muscle, but the recovery period will also burn come calories too, allowing additional fat loss. If you just skimp out on the squats in fear of them becoming large, the opportunity for additional fat loss gets wasted each time.
^^^This explains much better than me, but basically same conclusion.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Gemini25
~Gemini

So doing like 50 squats 3 times a week with 3-8 lb weights is good and will actually lean my thighs out?
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
Arti

Quote:
So doing like 50 squats 3 times a week with 3-8 lb weights is good and will actually lean my thighs out?
Depends by the time you do 50 squats, does your thighs feel fatigued? I can't say from a personal perspective, but as of how you typed it, it won't be intense given the small ratio of load to work. Although it's better than nothing, doing more reps feels more like a high-intensity cardio interval than an actual resistance routine (assuming a 1x50 set).

But, if you have limited access to weights, the workout you've suggested is fine as long as the workout can give sufficient work to your thighs. Eventually you'll adapt to that workout and would have to up the intensity whether if it involves heavier weight or more sets (ideally more weight).

In an ideal scenario it would be actually less squats with even heavier weights, but it for people that don't have access to gyms and only have light weights at home, it's rather difficult to perform squats at that intensity. 50 squats in one set is not intense, however, if 10 squats were done in 5 sets of 10 (5x10), assuming that each set that the last rep felt significantly harder than the one before it, then it would be intense enough for the individual.

If there was an ideal way to do squats, it would be barbell squats, where the following can be achieved: Heavy weight can be used that can be adjusted by adding on plates, and the adjusted weight would allow to perform a set of no more than 12 reps. Problem is that access to barbells involves a gym membership most of the time.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
Somsai
Guyver 01

Whenever ppl try to lose weight they end
up actually losing more muscle mass in their body then they are fat.

For example a person losing 12 lbs in 3 days is unreal.
You have to burn 3500 calories just to burn 1 lb of "fat".
Burning off 1 lb of fat is already extremely difficult.
So basically if I have to burn 500 calories x 7 days a week in order to drop 1 lb.
(For me I run at 4.0 speed on incline and it takes me nearly 50-60 min to burn 500 cal.)
That is already difficult. Losing 2 lbs of fat are for extreme fitness whores.
So you are basically losing more muscle mass and not much of fat.
Most ppl call this crash dieting.

Oh and btw there is no such thing as losing fat in a specific area.
Whenever your body burns fat it will burn it in all type of different areas.
I see a lot of women misinterpret weight with fat.
Only thing you can do is cardio cardio cardio.
Lots of it too.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
wababex

Its great you want to do more. I suggest rewarding yourself with something thats fun like dancing or whatever else you enjoy. I would not suggest doing more muscle excersizes because if you're doing the correct amount your muscles need time to repair themselves.
wababex is offline   Reply With Quote