Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
KarmaxCore
LOLOMGWUT.

Honestly, they say that, if you could only do one weight training vs cardio, that weight training is actually more important. The more muscles you build = the more fat/carbs you burn. I don't believe in "spot training" and it's also more effective to do like, complex? exercises that work big muscles and small muscles at the same time, ie a squat with a dumbbell curl or lateral shoulder press.

Check out my cosplay group <3 Vunderbra!Cosplay and our youtube. Vunder!Bra
KarmaxCore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaxCore View Post
Honestly, they say that, if you could only do one weight training vs cardio, that weight training is actually more important. The more muscles you build = the more fat/carbs you burn. I don't believe in "spot training" and it's also more effective to do like, complex? exercises that work big muscles and small muscles at the same time, ie a squat with a dumbbell curl or lateral shoulder press.
That is one of the worst things you can do. I would never recommend combing multiple exercises in one movement, because overall both exercies are done half-assed then doing them separately. If you do them separely, more focus and energy can be dedicated on increasing the intensity (aka weight) rather than worrying out the other movement, and vise versa. More intensity = more muscle recovery.

I do like the use of "compound" movements that uses multiple muscle groups in the same movement, such as barbell squats, chin-ups, push-ups, etc. Never I would think about trying to tack on another movement in the process.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
32spartan11
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingEri
So I'm looking for advice on what I should be doing. Should I do more cardio, more weights? Maybe something else entirely?
I wouldn't recommend doing weights twice in a day usually to people. If you do your first session should work an entirely different muscle group. On the occasion I do two lifting session If i do any thing upper body in my first session I'll do lower body in my second session. But for someone trying to lose fat usually cardio is going to be more beneficial for the second session. I would just recommend having 4 hrs or more between session.

Also your weight training should focus on compound movements as they burn the most calories and work the largest muscles as well as the small muscles and you'll see overall better results. You only wrote about delts and biceps two of the smallest muscles on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingEri
I only drink water and grapefruit juice, mostly water though), I'm trying to get rid of carbs (not completely, but I do eat too many), but any carbs I do eat usually come in the form of multi-grains or whole wheat.
I'd recommend cutting all calories from liquids except milk, it has an excellent blend of macro nutrient for recovering from workouts. Milk before bed is a great way to make sure your body has the energy and nutrients it need to repair it self during sleep. It also has about the same amount of calories of fruit juice or less(in comparison to grapefruit juice).

Also especially if your doing doubles you NEED carbs! The key is getting quality carbs in the right amounts. Cutting back carbs is great way to help lose fat but cutting them out completely is setting yourself up to regain weight down the road as most peoples diet consist of 60% carbs. Also knowing what a correct portion size goes a long way with carbs. If you want to cut back eat your carbs eat them early in the day and stick to your proteins and veggies form late after noon on (beside that glass of milk).

This is a good calorie calculator which breaks down your macro nutrient(Carbs, Protein, Fats) intake as well. It will help you figure out how much you need daily.

or use this site's calculator and search box to figure out calories in the normal food you eat. myfitness pal is a great free way to track what you're eating and if you have a smart phone they have a free app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini25 View Post
So doing like 50 squats 3 times a week with 3-8 lb weights is good and will actually lean my thighs out?
Doing this is actually like a cardio exercise and is definitely not a muscle building exercise.

From your posts it seems like the main thing you want to do is drop your body fat%. But at the same time i'd recommend you don't lose muscle. Studies have shown cardio alone to lose weight will have you lose 75% fat and 25% muscle which is a no no. Lean and muscular > Soft, flabby and skinny. For multiple reasons. The key is to keep your lean body mass the same ie not losing muscle. I usually recommend to most people to buy a bio electrical impedance scale. This will give you your body weight and body fat percentage, so you can keep track of what your losing.

To do this you want to mix in resistance trianing as well as cardio. If your using weights focus on your form you'll see better results and will help prevent injury. Some info about weight lifting you should choose a weight that will only allow you to do the amount of desired reps for example if you want 15 reps the 16th repetition you wouldn't be able to complete with proper form. 1-3 reps are usually to build power with break of 2-5 minutes with a quick tempo lifting fast, 3-7 reps to build strength w/ break of 2-5 min again with a fast tempo, 8-12 reps (sometimes 15 reps depending on exercise) is good for muscle hypertrophy or gain w/ breaks of 1.5-2 minutes with a slower tempo both on the eccentric(negative) and concentric(positive) phase. and 16 or more for muscle endurance with breaks of 1.5 or less this is usually with a faster tempo.

Resistance training doesn't always have to be about weights. If you look at a female gymnast they're lean and muscular and some of the most athletic people on the planet but almost never lift weights.

Though there are no shortcuts with this method you can't expect to lose more than 1-2 lbs a weeks max, reality is closer to 1lbs a week. It is also the most healthiest way of losing weight. If your on a plan that is dropping more than 5lbs a week (except for those who are obese or extremely obese) it can have negative health effects. Also the caloric deficit needed to lose that much weight usually has the average person starting them selves.

I brought up gymnast before for good reason one of the best ways to get the body image your looking for is to train like athletes that have that body image. For example if you want to be model thin training like a marathon runner is the healthiest way. If you want to be lean and muscular training in similar methods to sprinter or gymnast is a great way to do it. The added benefit of training like an athlete beyond body image is the performance as well. Body building or doing the elliptical doesn't usually translate into real life performance.

If you need help coming up with ideas for a routine or exercise feel free to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti
That is one of the worst things you can do. I would never recommend combing multiple exercises in one movement, because overall both exercies are done half-assed then doing them separately. If you do them separely, more focus and energy can be dedicated on increasing the intensity (aka weight) rather than worrying out the other movement, and vise versa. More intensity = more muscle recovery.
Well I would say that depends on the exercise for example adding a pushup to a burpee is a great addition. But adding curls to squats is pretty much a waste of time because of the exact reason you gave. If the intensity is relatively the same for both I'd say it's a good addition within reason. Perfect example is the clean and jerk, a clean with an over head press also considered by many trainers one of the best all around weight training exercises when done correctly.

my workout blog

http://weightgainersguide.blogspot.com/

Last edited by 32spartan11 : 03-26-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo
32spartan11 is offline   Reply With Quote