Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Barairo Ningyou
Hyuu~!

Arda Wigs: questions!

So, recently it seems like Arda's the brand getting all the praise all over the forum for thickness and overall quality, but I've never bought one of their wigs myself, and I'd like to ask a few questions from those of you who have. First of all, I have a fairly small head (21.5"), and I've read that Arda wigs run larger than other brands. That alone is enough to put me off quite a bit - would they be too large for me, even with the hooks adjusted? If so, there's really no point to me buying one at all.

Also, how do they hold up with minimal spiking outward (really, just enough to give it some shape)? I'm looking at both the Jett and the Hansel, but I'm not sure how they do after styling. Jett is about the length I need, but it's got that kind of poof to the top of it - would it tame down well for a more controlled style?

Specifically, I'm trying to pick a wig for Orihara Izaya (ref 2) from Durarara!!, if that helps.
Barairo Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

well i can tell you they will be big on you..you MAY wanna go with epiccosplay.com they are a tad bit smaller. but you ask about spiking..ardas wigs that are made for spiking do so very well..the hansel actually is a great wig for spiking..look at this roxas wig i styled for a friend..
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3153599/
i used the hansel (one you asked about) and i can tell you it will work great for that character. with some cutting of course.. but there are many other sites you can buy from that have good wigs that will work..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Tabby-chan
Aka: Natsuno Yuuki

i know my friend bought a wig from them a while ago. idr what one. but it was fairly stiff and thick. would be great for spiking. it was however way big on her and one of the hooks snapped. so im at a debate myself. i want their wigs but im scared they will be way too big for me D:
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Aurorae

I think it's really a case-by-case (or head-by-head) basis, as far as fit goes. My measurement is about 22" and I've fit both china-size wigs and Arda's wigs on my head comfortably. It wasn't noticeably large or anything, and didn't slide around at all even though it was barely pinned on. They even have pictures of several kids wearing their wigs on their site, so yeah. I think it depends just as much on the shape of your head as the size, if that makes sense. Also, if it is too big, and you don't mind the work it would take, they have a tutorial that shows how to make the wigs a bit smaller.

For your second question, the Jett can actually be flattened rather well. It's just a bit fluffed up in the picture.

Aaaalso, the hooks snapping was addressed by making metal hooks available for $1.00 per set of two, with free shipping. So don't let that turn you off the brand
Aurorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

You hair line circumference is only on measurement. I also have a long head on top of being 23.6" around that make wearing china wig impossible smaller to wear.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I just got a Jett. It was HUUUUGE. Because I don't have a load of hair to hide underneath, and because I needed the wig to actually sit flush to my head and not poof up like it does with the elastics, I had to actually sew the wig cap to be smaller to fit me. And I have a fairly decent-sized head (22").

But yes, the picture of the Jett they have on their website must be of a fully styled wig, because it comes a lot flatter than that and stays flat fairly well. I'm using it for Roronoa Zoro and while I haven't cut it yet, I foresee having no problem keeping it somewhat flattened down/not crazy-spiked.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Barairo Ningyou
Hyuu~!

Well, this sounds very, very hit-or-miss in terms of sizing, for those of us with smaller heads - and more miss than anything. I guess it's time to look into another wig! Thanks, everyone, I've been wondering about this for quite a while now.
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
LittleKagsin

If you do want to try an arda wig, a couple of people have made tutorials on how to make them smaller. So, thats an option. =^^= I'll find the links if you're interested.

2011 Cosplays:
Super Alice (remake) - 0%
(surprise) - 20%
Steampunk Harley - 2%

Bayonetta - 25%
Catwoman - 40%
LittleKagsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Like others have said, there are tutorials out there for making Arda's wigs smaller.

http://prettykitty.deviantart.com/ar...rial-278646258

This can be done on all of their wigs, I'm pretty sure.

Overall, if you don't mind doing a little bit of adjusting, Arda's wigs are the way to go. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat their quality.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
rhymechan
Whiny Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
I just got a Jett. It was HUUUUGE. Because I don't have a load of hair to hide underneath, and because I needed the wig to actually sit flush to my head and not poof up like it does with the elastics, I had to actually sew the wig cap to be smaller to fit me. And I have a fairly decent-sized head (22").

But yes, the picture of the Jett they have on their website must be of a fully styled wig, because it comes a lot flatter than that and stays flat fairly well. I'm using it for Roronoa Zoro and while I haven't cut it yet, I foresee having no problem keeping it somewhat flattened down/not crazy-spiked.
So I'm not the only person who had this problem with the Jett? I also got a Jett back in July, and it was so big on me, you could see the base of the netting around the back of my neck. It was really unpleasant.
But. That might just be an issue with the Jett. Because I also have a Derek, and it seems to fit just fine.

If you're concerned about wig sizing, I would probably avoid ordering an Arda, unless you have a friend who owns one, and you could try it on for size. To be on the safe side, you could try Epic Cosplay, or The Five Wits.

JPop Summit Fest 2014
Nanase Haruka (Free!)

Japan Expo 2014
Day 1- Punk!Eren (SNK)
Day 2- Nanase Haruka (Free!)
Day 3- Medusa (Soul Eater)
rhymechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Akune-chan

So if a person has anything smaller than a 22" head, Arda would run rather large on them? o^o
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Barairo Ningyou
Hyuu~!

Yeah, I'm aware they can be altered, but that seems like a lot of unnecessary work when I can just get a similar style somewhere else. I think it's great that they cater to people with larger heads, but I kind of wish the people with smaller heads didn't get left out! Ah well, no way to fit everyone at once.