Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Folks who go to 3+ conventions a year

What kind of job do you have? I have seen people going around to many, many cons each year, and I just don't know how they do it.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I'm a graphical designer, but it's not a problem since most cons are on sundays, and I don't work on sundays.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
W7Nights
I need more Power!

I'm a full time student and part time worker. I only go to one major con while the other 3 are relatively small in comparison. That and the fact that they are spread apart from one another by a couple months, which gives me some time to recuperate some money.
W7Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Ilafatyu
That guy

I'm a sacker at a grocery store. I call myself a sakhr because it sounds less lame.

In fairness, I go to small conventions, two of which I don't stay in a hotel for, and they're spread throughout the year. One in February, one in June, one in October... It's plenty of time for me to save up for the next one.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

I've always wondered this. It is a huge pain in the ass to get the time off for me just to go to 2 local conventions, let alone out of state. What job lets you go to more than 3 out of state conventions, and are they hiring?

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
interstellarowl

I'm an EMT, I go to about 3-4 major ones a year. 3 of which are out of state. I don't get paid well, but I'm very good with budgeting.
interstellarowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

I work at a hotel as a Houseman, which is the person who runs the floors as an in-between for the housekeepers and the manager/supervisor. It's an entry-level job that doesn't require education or skills and it pays $15+/hour. At my property, anyway. My position is not a tipped one, but the actual Housekeeping position is. I've seen a looooot of the ladies getting $20 or $50 tips from a single room, even if the usual is more like $1 or $2. They also get extra for sold rooms and sofa beds and rollways and water sales. /housekeeping jargon
Only slightly related: I was chatting with my cousin and a bunch of the valet guys at work and they said they were making around $700/week in the summer, mostly in tips. Which is not a bad way to earn cash for a summer or longer-term job.

I usually go to 2 cons per year, one with 21,000 attendees and one with about 3,500. This year I'm preregistered and set to go to 4, which include the two above, another with about 3,000 attendees, and one tiny one with something like 500 or 600 attendees. Two are in spring and two are in the fall, so they are reasonably well spaced out. Another trick to saving money is to go to local cons, supply your own food, and try to go with a group of friends so you can split gas money/hotel/food/etc. It's within my budget to go to a couple out of state cons, but I don't want to go by myself. D:

One of the major perks to working for a hotel is the employee discount. xD $45/night, yes please. Split that with two friends and a weekend in a hotel for a con becomes $34/person.

On the hotel note, try to choose hotels based on what they can offer you. Complimentary breakfast or a room with a fridge/microwave/full kitchen will save you a lot of food costs. Also, a lot of hotels have things like microwaves that you can ask to borrow at the front desk that aren't available in every room.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak-kun View Post
I've always wondered this. It is a huge pain in the ass to get the time off for me just to go to 2 local conventions, let alone out of state. What job lets you go to more than 3 out of state conventions, and are they hiring?
My just-barely-above-minimum-wage job at a grocery store. There's a fleet of teenagers and retirees who would love to work any hours I can't take. Don't feel like depending on someone else to take your hours? You can ask for a week off a month in advance, and the managers just say okay. A few employees have taken semester-long vacations and nobody cares. A weekend? You can say you never work weekends and they'll just change your schedule to fit, one or two Saturdays is nothing. It's a soul-crushing job with crap pay, but the flexibility is a nice change from the full-time jobs I've had before.

...And they're always hiring more warm bodies.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Unaki

Before disability I used to have a job where I worked Monday to Thursday 10 hours per day and have the weekend off in customer service which paid me $12 an hour. Now I just go whenever since I don't work.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
My just-barely-above-minimum-wage job at a grocery store. There's a fleet of teenagers and retirees who would love to work any hours I can't take. Don't feel like depending on someone else to take your hours? You can ask for a week off a month in advance, and the managers just say okay. A few employees have taken semester-long vacations and nobody cares. A weekend? You can say you never work weekends and they'll just change your schedule to fit, one or two Saturdays is nothing. It's a soul-crushing job with crap pay, but the flexibility is a nice change from the full-time jobs I've had before.

...And they're always hiring more warm bodies.
This sounds pretty similar to my friend's mall job, actually. She works with mostly high school/college kids, so she almost always has weekends off, despite being in retail. Because they have school on weekdays, and weekends are the only time they can work. If they didn't give her weekends off, the others would never have any hours.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I've been unemployed since early 2011. But I still live at home and I recieve social security for disability.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
What kind of job do you have? I have seen people going around to many, many cons each year, and I just don't know how they do it.
When I was still living at home some times I'd hit up 4 cons a year. Mostly because my mother made very good money and completely funded these trips for me. I can't imagine how expensive it must have been for her to do that but I am very grateful to have had the opportunities to travel and experience new things.

I attend 2 conventions a year now, Youmacon and Acen. Right now I am unemployed and sell artwork commissions. My Boyfriend works in computer repair. Youmacon is close to home so we don't pay for a hotel and is where we sell in the artist alley. This year we'll be attending FanFare however. Acen is in Chicago, depending on the cost of the hotel we stay at we may room the two of us or opt for a more expensive hotel and share the room with several friends. So that cuts down on costs as well.

Either way it's very costly and is something that's saved up for during the entire year prior. If people want something costly they're going to save up for it long-term -shrug-.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

My current job myself only has like 4 or 5 of us in my position. I have been here for 6 months.... close to 7, and we keep losing people to the point I am almost always on. I requested time off, so I hope to God they have attendants when my weekend comes, because I am not missing my con for the world. I put in for it 5 months in advance, and r-filling out another sheet to make sure it is known soon.

My job isn't bad. Not the best, but for a job nevertheless, it's good. 160 dollars a day, free snacks, free food, free drinks, I get to see New York and Boston every work day, I can stop on Fifth Ave if I want to on those days, no bosses to breathe down my shoulders on the road, a lot of free time if we aren't full (Like today, I am typing on my laptop as we speak) and even my boss encourages it. The job is quite unique in it's own way too, and gives me training in various departments. ....

Of course, it has it's downsides too, like I said, only like 4-5 of us, so while we get good hours, we get TOO many sometimes (we are paid bi-weekly, so I get like 10-11 days a 15 day period, which if I work too many consecutively, would suck. The days are 10-12 hour days. The vehicles are in bleh condition, and some passengers can be assholes.

Otherwise, I love it.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Kiro

I was a full-time student and part-time worker. Now a part-time student, but still a part-time employee. After taxes and other fees, I make about $12.60/hour working as a System Administrator.

I think one major point is that I'm not financially independent right now. I still live with my parents and depend on them for food, shelter, and other expenses. All I cover right now is car maintenance ($1.5k/year), textbooks ($1.2k/year), gas ($1.7k/year), medical, and any other extraneous expenses. I typically earn about $6k/year net, which leaves me around $1k to spend on whatever.

In 2012, I attended:

Anime Boston: Took MegaBus up from NY Penn Station ($18 round trip). Got a good deal on a room and shared the expense with friends ($30 for the weekend). Pre-reg was like $50. Budget $30/day for food and total necessary expenses came out to around $200.

AnimeNEXT: I live locally, so I just paid pre-reg ($30) and budget $15/day for food. Total is around $75.

MangaNEXT: As treasurer, I organized this as an anime club trip, so all expenses were paid for by the school. Only attended one day and spent about $15 on food.

NYCC: Also treated as an anime club trip, so again all expenses were covered by the school. Only attended one day and spent about $12 on food.

Otakon: Split two rooms with twelve people such that it cost something like $100/person for the weekend. I think pre-reg was $60 or so. Took the Bolt bus down for $23 round trip and budgeted $30/day for food. Total necessary expenses came out to $250.

Overall, I spent around $800 on five conventions and merchandise last year.

2015 Conventions
AnimeNEXT
MAGFest?
Otakon?
PAX East
PwnEm Con?
Steampunk World's Fair?

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
CastlePoint
Otakon
Steampunk World's Fair
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Poody
All Rise!

It really depends on where you live. If you live in Southern California..... There's maybe 10 cons through out the year! Probably more. Some of course, are quite small. A few are very affordable as well.

..............-NYAH!
My Facebook, yo!
Poody is offline   Reply With Quote