Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Advice for a busty girl who wants to jog.

Some of you gals probably have a larger chest, like me, and know that jogging or running can very difficult and uncomfortable without the right bra. My mom picked me up a sports bra the other day, but while it worked better than a regular bra, I feel like I want to buy a smaller size for better..Er, restraint. Has anyone tried this? Was it too uncomfortable or anything?

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Spaztastic

I don't run (partially due to my bad ankle, and partially due to the chest lol), but my friend has a decent size chest. She wears a size smaller. I've also heard of girls wearing their normal bra under the sports bra.
Spaztastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Oh okay. =) Thank you for the info, I might just try both and see what works better for me. It may turn out that jogging just won't be my thing for this very reason, but hopefully it won't be too bad. ^^

On hiatus until 2015.

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Try a shock/impact-absorbing sports bra; they're kind of large compared to normal bras (they could almost pass for midriff tank tops), but your boobs WILL NOT bounce if you buy the right level/size. They're also specifically made for bounce-inducing sports, so aside from being a bit bigger than you'd normally wear, they're decently comfy and sweat-wicking, don't roll up, and they come for cup sizes B to G, and ranked as medium to extreme impact (medium being things like jogging, extreme being stuff like horseback riding and gymnastics). You can get them at most department stores, far as I know.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 03-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Oh wow, that's awesome, considering I horseback ride and the girls bouncing about can get quite annoying, however it seems to be worse when I'm jogging for some reason. Maybe I just jog funny. I will look for those next time I'm in the mall, thank you!

On hiatus until 2015.

Unread 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
bunchabugs

I wouldnt recommend running in your regular bras for sure. You'll trash them so quick.
bunchabugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Somethingducky

I definitely second Shinobis' recommendation, look for a specialty shock absorbing sports bra they actually market some as "equestrian sports bras "inspired by the sitting trot"). You may have to look around a bit for the right one or order it online and expect to pay a bit more for a quality item that will last. I know of one website that specialized in sports bras here. When you try it on try jogging in place and bouncing around to test, be sure that it's comfortable for your activity and double check the return policy in case of issues. Also remember to take care of your bra and never ever throw them in the washing machine! Hand wash and air day and they will last 10x longer guaranteed!
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Buying a smaller size is not the way to go. This won't help at all...and can cause other issues, as well as discomfort. It will definitely cause "spillage." I'm a 32GG or H depending on brand and honestly, I have a hard time finding sports bras that restrain me. I agree with the shock absorbent ones. I've found these to be the best, even with my larger size. If you're larger, like me, you can check out Herroom.com (they also have smaller sizes). Expect to pay a lot...I don't think I ever pay less than $60 for the size that I am. :/ But a proper fitting bra is key in everything, including exercise.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
Buying a smaller size is not the way to go. This won't help at all...and can cause other issues, as well as discomfort. It will definitely cause "spillage." I'm a 32GG or H depending on brand and honestly, I have a hard time finding sports bras that restrain me. I agree with the shock absorbent ones. I've found these to be the best, even with my larger size. If you're larger, like me, you can check out Herroom.com (they also have smaller sizes). Expect to pay a lot...I don't think I ever pay less than $60 for the size that I am. :/ But a proper fitting bra is key in everything, including exercise.
Holy shit! Ya'll women pay that much for bras?!

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somsai View Post
Holy shit! Ya'll women pay that much for bras?!
Yeah. I miss wearing $20 bras...I'm lucky if I can get one for $50 or $60. Usually it's about $68 or more. I was stoked when I found one for $53, lol.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yep. High-quality bras don't come cheap, but they're worth it entirely. Especially if you're large-chested or an odder size. I've got sports bras that still support and they're 5 or 6 years old. (originally $40 each, and I'm not large-chested, so I don't need to buy specialty ones)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
ScribblesITM
Just Call me Alex

Teamestrogen.com has a really nice selection of sports bras including into larger sizes. And eys, good bras are not cheap, but a well fitting GOOD bra is worth it's weight in gold. At my panel I do at cons, seriously at one point I show how bra size is determined, and almost always, I have a few people hanging back at the end of the panel, not to flirt with one of the models, but to get their bra size done. It makes all the difference in the world.

Planned Cons:[/u]
Anime USA 2014, katsucon 2015, Regeneration WHO 2015

Cosplays
Rin - Naruto (done)
FMA uniform (done)
Rarity - MLP (99% done)
Team Magma - Pokemon (Done)
Tasha Lem - Doctor Who (reworking 70% done)
Lucy Saxon - Doctor Who (20% done)
ScribblesITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Bingutabi

oh my goodness do I know this feeling! for a long time when jogging I was forced to wear a regular bra under a sports bra in order for my chest not to hurt when I ran. and I agree a well fitting good bra IS worth it's weight in gold. I am glad this is being discussed because when I tried to discuss this topic with my sister she told me just because I have a large bust doesn't mean it should hurt when I run but it def can hurt and is uncomfortable!
Bingutabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I still have an insane amount of bounce going on after buying a sports bra (the kind that are actual cups) and an athletic tank top with a bra support sewn into it as well. Honestly I should probably return the sports bra for a different one :/ it hardly feels like it's doing a thing. Problem is, I can't spend much. Wondering if any fine ladies have suggestions on reasonably priced sports bras?

I too have found I get incredible problems with my ankle's when running or jogging. It feels like my leg is going to snap every time I come down on my foot and is likely an issue I'll have to get checked out at some point as it makes it nearly impossible for me to do any running or jogging exercises. Just the amount of pain from my ankle is enough to bring me to tears if I keep running on it :/
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Somsai
Guyver 01

I feel sorry for you girls. ;(

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)