Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Has anyone ever commissioned with PepMaster?

I think I may have a problem, but I'd like to hear about anyone's opinions or experiences before I explain.
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
JoyMason
Now Joy Sutton!

Sorry to tell you this, but he has had numerous problems in the past, and has been banned from two forums I frequent due to poor business practices: never sending completed merchandise and stealing other craftsmen's photographs and claiming them as his own.

Just one of the threads on this behavior:
http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f...we-you-137188/

Tutorials, showcases and materials reviews!
JoyMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

So I guess that's $70 down the toilet.. I commissioned him to make my KOSMOS headgear, I sent full payment about a week and a half ago, he said he'd ship it on Tuesday and hasn't been online for a few days and hasn't responded to me after he said he'd ship it.
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Ahza_miracle

why u dont ask to volpi? him is sooo freaking awesome, and soo pro ^^
http://www.facebook.com/VolpinProps
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

That's the same guy as PepMaster. They are the same people.
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Ahza_miracle

really? 0-0, cuz i saw his work, also his do a really awesome work 0-0, also works with godsavethequeen, and is hard to hear that 0-0,
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Well, from what the user up there sent, the link to that forum, he works under PepMaster, Volpin, and Nintendude.

And now I am going to bring it up with my local authorities and file a dispute with paypal if this does not get solved anytime soon.
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMason View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but he has had numerous problems in the past, and has been banned from two forums I frequent due to poor business practices: never sending completed merchandise and stealing other craftsmen's photographs and claiming them as his own.

Just one of the threads on this behavior:
http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f...we-you-137188/

This was very helpful, thank you.
Some users on that forum said that they were refunded or he finally shipped the item, I guess we will wait and see.
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Are you sure he goes by Volpin? In that forum, it says Vagabond and it says Volpin was ripped off by him. Just trying to make sure someone's good name isn't tarnished on accident if it isn't the same person.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
JoyMason
Now Joy Sutton!

Volpin is NOT PepMaster.

I repeat, Volpin is NOT PepMaster. Pepmaster was using Volpin's images (Of his portal gun) and claiming them as his own. Volpin is a highly respected and reliable creator with a stellar track record, he's worked with Child's Play Charity, Valve and Bioware. PepMaster has gone by Vagabond2008, PepMaster and Nintenude and has a somewhat less than stellar reputaion, numerous folks have trusted him and at least one of my friends even reached out to try and help him after the RPF kerfuffle, I would not expect too much.

Unread 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Thank you JoyMason. I just wanted that cleared up for potential buyers of Volpin's.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
PepMaster

Most don't know, I've been doing costume and prop making for the last 10 years. In the past year I've been going through some rough health troubles, mentally and physically. Yes I know about the RPF thread. Take a look at the first post on it. I've been taking care of those guys as quickly as I possibly can. But as the old saying goes a few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch. Same goes for my old actions. I have'nt been able to get in touch with moose the past couple of days due to the weather, but I will be giving her a refund this coming week, so that will be resolved. I wonder if I'll end up with either Tk1055 or Mockle from the RPF trying to start a fight over here in this thread now that they managed to assist in getting that RPF thread locked with thier bickering.
PepMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
JoyMason
Now Joy Sutton!

It all comes down to communication. Most folks will understand so long as everyone involved is open, honest and communicates issues in a timely manner. I've seen your work and I do sincerely hope you can dig out of the situation you have worked yourself into. I just felt the need to alert Bri about the past issues and clarify any misconceptions about your connection to other creators.

As a piece of advice, I would recommend that you be completely open with new clients about the recent events, at least until the past issues have been dealt with and you have had some time to rebuild your reputation. I cannot stress how upset I am to see another creator whom has a lot of respect in community being mistakenly associated with you due to your past mistakes.

Things happen that are out of our control as craftsmen, but believe me, the worst thing to do is not communicate to your clients. I nearly fell into the communication void early on, and am careful to alert my clients to delays and unforeseen circumstances as soon as I can nowadays. If a deadline is at risk of being missed, communication early on and the responsibility to get it done ASAP falls to the craftsman. The events that caused your backlog were out of your control, but you held the control for communicating the issues and satisfying your customers. By not being open about your recent past, you are exacerbating your situation. The act of posting another creator's work as your own is nearly unforgivable, and you should make it publicly known that you did it. You nearly got another creator involved in an investigation because of your mistake.

This is not an attack on you, but sincere advice if you truly want to get past this point. Like I said, I have seen your work and attended panels where you spoke on pepakura. I do not wish for you to be in the position you are in now.

Unread 03-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
PepMaster

Thanks Joy, and I have no problem with the alerting, I just hate briging up old issues, to me it does nothing but start fires. I'm guessing you probably attended the D*C 2010 where I was on the panels with other costumers, you'll get to see me again at this coming D*C where I do panels again although it will probably only be one or two unlike the 6+ ones I did back then. Still trying to regain all my energy. And yeah using someone elses's work as photos on a commission ad was probably the worst thing I did and not many understand how much I regretted that. But even though apologies were made that still does'nt make it right, and nothing will, but life moves on, and things will improve.
PepMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
Are you sure he goes by Volpin? In that forum, it says Vagabond and it says Volpin was ripped off by him. Just trying to make sure someone's good name isn't tarnished on accident if it isn't the same person.

I guess I got the names mixed up when I went reading that forum. D=

Blah!
Well they both start with a V.... -.- xD