Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Unread 04-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
soren7550
Overly proud New Yorker

Matt Murdock Crossplay (Netflix TV Show Variant)

So, I'm considering doing a crossplay of Matt Murdock, and two questions come to mind about it (not counting how to do wounds makeup, I'll worry about that should I be able to get this together):
- would I be able to find clip on shades that not only fit over my glasses perfectly, but are also the same deep red as his?
- where would I be able to get a blind person cane, and how much of an asshole would I be for having it?

For reference, I have this in mind to do: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=620&h=954
"A philosopher will ask that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, would it still make a sound. A smart person would ask why the presence of a person determines whether or not a tree makes a sound as it falls." - Soren Alenko

Cosplays for NYCC 2016!:
Attack on Titan Military Police - 50% Completed
Dragon Age Inquisiton Inquisitor (real world casual) - Conceptual
soren7550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Scunosi

Depending on what style your own glasses are, clip-ons may not even work or attach properly. You can find fairly inexpensive glasses online that come in a wide range of crazy styles (his is certainly not the most difficult to find) and are prescription. I would recommend just getting a new pair through that if you can afford it or get insurance to pay for some/all of it.

Also from the show itself the lenses just looked black to me, I think the red may be just an effect for the ad but maybe I'm wrong, I did only watch the first episode.

As for a blind cane I'm sure you can just Google medical suppliers and find one, or locate a local shop, or hell even make your own using a dowel. As for how bad it'll make you look, I can't really say. I have seen plenty of Homestuck cosplayers doing some character that uses one, and another con-goer who was someone else (or maybe was just actually blind). I don't think they really get any in-person flak for it.

If you bring it with you I'd make sure to make it evident you're not actually using it unless you're posing/in a cosplay group. Otherwise you might trip people up who are trying to go around you or make room for you. The biggest worry though is confusing drivers, so if you're ever outside the convention center I'd carry it up under your arm rather than walking with it like a blind person would.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West 2016, got my tickets baby!
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
soren7550
Overly proud New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
Depending on what style your own glasses are, clip-ons may not even work or attach properly. You can find fairly inexpensive glasses online that come in a wide range of crazy styles (his is certainly not the most difficult to find) and are prescription. I would recommend just getting a new pair through that if you can afford it or get insurance to pay for some/all of it.

Also from the show itself the lenses just looked black to me, I think the red may be just an effect for the ad but maybe I'm wrong, I did only watch the first episode.

As for a blind cane I'm sure you can just Google medical suppliers and find one, or locate a local shop, or hell even make your own using a dowel. As for how bad it'll make you look, I can't really say. I have seen plenty of Homestuck cosplayers doing some character that uses one, and another con-goer who was someone else (or maybe was just actually blind). I don't think they really get any in-person flak for it.

If you bring it with you I'd make sure to make it evident you're not actually using it unless you're posing/in a cosplay group. Otherwise you might trip people up who are trying to go around you or make room for you. The biggest worry though is confusing drivers, so if you're ever outside the convention center I'd carry it up under your arm rather than walking with it like a blind person would.
Yeah, I'm gonna go to where I got my glasses and ask them about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it'd be a bit pricey there.
And yeah, the lenses are red, it's just pretty hard to tell when there isn't much light upon them.
http://dayandadream.com/wp-content/u...tt-Murdock.jpg
http://www.scifibloggers.com/wp-cont...7225385387.jpg

White canes I've found a few retailers online that sell them around $20 a pop, and while I'm still worried about coming off as an ass, maybe it'd work to get people at NYCC to give me some room to move.
"A philosopher will ask that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, would it still make a sound. A smart person would ask why the presence of a person determines whether or not a tree makes a sound as it falls." - Soren Alenko

Cosplays for NYCC 2016!:
Attack on Titan Military Police - 50% Completed
Dragon Age Inquisiton Inquisitor (real world casual) - Conceptual
soren7550 is offline   Reply With Quote