Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

No Club Nokia & Nokia Theater this year?

Is it true that AX won't be using them this year because of the X Games?

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

well if they would update anything...we would know for sure.
I'm getting tired of not knowing anything >_>

NDK Cosplay list:
Sailor Cosmos - sailor moon
Secret WCS cosplay <3
season one sailor moon (husband as Tuxedo Mask <3)
and maaaaybe FEM!Lucifer from supernatural
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Data Allister

Yeah, we're in the dark with most of the important announcements.
Most likely it's due to the X Games......

Anime LA Ops
Gallifrey One Ops
Data Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Hetalia-Chan
Not Iceland, ice cream!!

I found this on the AX forums.

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the patience, and I apologize for the wait--I've been dealing with some of my own personal issues, and I was away from my computer for the whole weekend. So, again, I apologize for the delayed response; I could only access the forums in short periods of time. As of this afternoon, I'm settled back into my place, so here I am to help. ^-^d

I'll do the best I can to explain the situation. Yes, the Summer X Games will be using the Nokia Theatre this year. This means that we will not have access to the venue because of it. Those working on it at Anime Expo are indeed concerned about how this will affect the Main Events--as well as the rest of the convention--this year and have been in discussions to find the best solutions to the current circumstances.

I hope you understand. Please know that there are hard-working individuals trying to address these concerns, so don't worry! AX 2012 will still go on as planned. Don't forget that, although the Main Events are a large part of the convention, there are other areas of Anime Expo to be excited for as well. Please look forward to them!

Thanks again, everyone.
Hetalia-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
El_Duque
miyoshi82

We did this in 2009 with Morning Musume. Yes, the West Hall wasn't made for concerts and the accoustics were flat out terrible, but AX has no other choice.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

AX is turning 21. They are making a BIG Deal about it saying they are having ALL these new Events and Ect.. but they are also getting rid of Venues and such..

I don't mind if they get rid of Venues and do other things (JUST KEEP US INFORMED BETTER) please.

it is less than 93 Days until Con and We know nothing about whats going on with anything...

GOH
Musical Guests
Venues
Ect.ect.ect.

i think since i have been going 2008 until now every year we don't find out thing til later and later...

with people that fly from all over the World (same as SDCC) to attend AX. We the (Fans) would like to be better informed. even if it is bad news! something is better than nothing.

(appreciate the letter above thanks for that) (Thumbs Up)
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

It is smarter not to use them right now only to save money, I imagine its pretty expensive to rent them out so it's not a bad thing
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

I'm annoyed at the fact thatI have no clue of what they will have going on.Guests...concerts?...nothing.
the guests dont take the nokia theater...at least update those.

and if there is a concert that i was to attend..I wont be able to go if it is announced during the last days before the convention....that would be SOO stupid if they withheld all that info until then.

NDK Cosplay list:
Secret WCS cosplay <3
Unread 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Well, there's also the problem with the X-Games holding their event at the same time.

They not only have taken the Nokia theatre, but it's likely that they may be blocking off certain streets, and possibly limit certain access for AX attendees trying to enter the convention center.

The X-Games is a super HUGE event, (Their attendance number is much bigger than AX) and the last time that they were there, they pretty much dominated the LA-Live area, and a lot of streets were blocked off.

I know it's virtually impossible to change the dates now for AX, but I sure wish they could still change the dates where it won't be the same time as the X-Games. Having the X-Games at the same time with AX may prove to be a super big headache, especially in terms of the security issues. Some of the rowdier crowds at the X-Games may not exactly be too friendly toward cosplayers or the anime fans.

Generally speaking, the rowdier sports fans, and anime fans don't usually mix well. (It happened before at DragonCon a couple of years ago. Several drunk sports fans wandered into the convention hotel areas, and several several fist fights broke out, when they tried to pick a fight with the cosplayers.) Hopefully, AX is taking the proper security measures to prevent this from happening at AX.

Last edited by Hakaider : 03-30-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
choxie-chan
Uchuu KITAAAAA!!!!

I hate to admit but it looks like the Mayans were right about their prediction for 2012 \(T v T)/
Oh boy, I don't know who in the world decided to plan the X Games during Anime Expo, but I do sure hope that both sides sit and figure this out because I can see that THIS will be a HUGE PROBLEM DD:

EDIT 3/30: Oh boy... and the drunkard sports fans are another huge problem...Why the heck would X Games decide to take place at convention days?!!?!?

AX 2014
Day 1: Struttin on fairy kei
Day 2: Mariah - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Day 3: Chen - Touhou
Day 4: Mariah - JJBA:SC

Last edited by choxie-chan : 03-30-2012 at 02:41 PM.
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Some of the rowdier crowds at the X-Games may not exactly be too friendly toward cosplayers or the anime fans.

Generally speaking, the rowdier sports fans, and anime fans don't usually mix well. (It happened before at DragonCon a couple of years ago. Several drunk sports fans wandered into the convention hotel areas, and several several fist fights broke out, when they tried to pick a fight with the cosplayers.) Hopefully, AX is taking the proper security measures to prevent this from happening at AX.
That's what I'm afraid of for this year, drunk sports fans.

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2

Last edited by Codename Otacon : 03-30-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Wow, my first AX.....I'm slightly terrified. D:
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

Dont be afraid Sakura....Anime Expo is fantastic. Ignore people if they are drunkards....I will gladly punch someone in the nose if they get on my nerves.

NDK Cosplay list:
Secret WCS cosplay <3
Unread 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Genius View Post
Dont be afraid Sakura....Anime Expo is fantastic. Ignore people if they are drunkards....I will gladly punch someone in the nose if they get on my nerves.
That sounds good and fine, but we're also outnumbered 3-1 at best. At worst, it could blow up to 4-1 or 5-1. I like a good scrap, but drunken adrenalyne junkies vs. your average anime fans... not pretty.

This could be a good learning experience since AX's current leadership and they're not used to being the minority in a given area.

If X-Games wasn't taking place, I'd say using Club Nokia instead of the Nokia Theater would be a good downsizing, but I'm still trying to figure out an expedient way to walk around the X-Games from the J.W. to the LACC and vice versa.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
This could be a good learning experience since AX's current leadership and they're not used to being the minority in a given area.
I would give them until mid to late April and then start hitting the panic button if nothing is announced. At this time last year, AX already had two GoHs announced (Danny Choo and Vic Mignogna) and then we had this dead space for a month before they started rolling out with Miku.

What I learned from last year was to be patient with them and that's what I'm doing.

I also got a room at the Vagabond Inn near USC because I don't want to deal with that mass humanity and just park at the south end of the LACC everyday. Day 0-4 ran me a total of $545.

Last edited by El_Duque : 03-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote