Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #181
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
ax might b keeping forums down until they solve the xgames issue
I had that thought, but that's a pretty asinine way to go about it.

Now people have a harder time making gatherings (especially non-cosplay gatherings), arranging rooms, discussing hobbies, and trying to pass tips on how to stay safe. Something like this in the Information Age is very disjointed and jarring.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #182
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Actually, the AX forums was running fine last week, and people were still posting in there.

It's possible that it's just a technical difficulty, or they are switching to a new format.

This is what their forum says right now:

http://community.anime-expo.org/

Quote:
Sorry to say ... we have been experiencing tenticle difficulties

We have been working to correct the problem on the forums for several months, but unfortunately for now we must close the doors to the forums. Please understand that we do think that the forums are important, and are still working to resolve the problems.

Quote:

Pardon if I interrupt ><

Hello there , this is my second year at AX and I have a few concerns:

1.) I've been going to AX by public transportation (Two LA Metro Buses), and since I saw this issue happening I would like to ask you guys. How effective will this be by taking public transportation since AX and X Games are happening at the same time?

2.) Since Club Nokia and Nokia Theater will be closed for us, how will this effect an event such as for example: AX Idol?

3.) This one is kinda out of topic XD, is it much convenient to stay at a hotel or just stay at home (I live in Montebello, it's only 15 minutes away from Downtown LA)
1. If you are taking the Metro buses, some of the streets around the convention center will closed off, because of the X-Games, so the buses will be diverted. Depending where the X-Games put the car race rally in the streets, this may mean that you may have to take some alternative routes.

2. Most likely, AX Idol, Concerts, and Masquerade will all be held inside the convention center. Expect a much smaller space for AX this year, due to the X-Games taking the rest of the LA-Live Area.

3. It's really up to you. If you get a hotel room, you don't have to worry about fighting traffic or finding parking everyday. Keep in mind that with over 141,000 people coming in for the X-Games, the normally bad traffic in downtown LA will get a lot worse. (Especially, if you catch the public transportation.) On the other hand, getting a hotel room isn't cheap. (But then, gas & parking in downtown LA isn't cheap either.) That 15 minute ride from Montebello isn't going to be 15 minutes with over 141,000 people fighting for space & parking. (Add over 40,000 people from AX into the mix, and you are going to get a crowd size that would rival the massive crowds at the San Diego Comic Con.)

Quote:
I do sure hope things will go out well this year >< XD \ ( ; v ; ) /
Yes, I hope things will turn out well as well.

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-13-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #183
TBZK

AX is reeeeeally bad at relaying information to their community. I've honestly never seen a worse company when it comes to concerns or just random shut downs of their website. You KNOW people must be flipping a lid right now :/

Panel registrations now live!!!! But now you can't get into our website, mwahahaha.

They really need to work on communicating to their fans :/
TBZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #184
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
Nope, just some bug issues.

*Conventions for 2015*
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #185
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Baka Zaru View Post
Nope, just some bug issues.
I'm not inclined to believe that.

You can set up a mirror or put together another forum while you're working on this one on a temporary basis. I believe that their forum is also a template from someplace that has a few of these. If there was a bug this urgent, shouldn't several forums be closed?

The other thing that strikes me as suspicious is that, similar to last year, when something this disruptive happens, there's no timeframe of fixing it or announcements on the main AX page. In this format, there's few places for fans to redistribute themselves and discuss. We're only aware of this forum and discussion because the majority of us are cosplayers. What about non-cosplayers? How to they share information now?
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #186
El_Duque
miyoshi82

That AX Forums have been down for a long time.

Also they have a Manager's retreat this weekend, they should make use of the time to come up with something.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #187
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
I'm not inclined to believe that.

You can set up a mirror or put together another forum while you're working on this one on a temporary basis. I believe that their forum is also a template from someplace that has a few of these. If there was a bug this urgent, shouldn't several forums be closed?

The other thing that strikes me as suspicious is that, similar to last year, when something this disruptive happens, there's no timeframe of fixing it or announcements on the main AX page. In this format, there's few places for fans to redistribute themselves and discuss. We're only aware of this forum and discussion because the majority of us are cosplayers. What about non-cosplayers? How to they share information now?
It is true, like with the last cycle we were supposed to have the Board Director candidates Talk indirectly to AX staff through the forums. Due to bugs and various other issues that could not be dealt with we had to move this discussion to other areas.

The staff is currently trying to deal with fixing the forum since that is a direct line for many members to talk to AX staff.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #188
Freight

Thanks for the update, Hcore.

Please remind the managers that communication with people is the way to make these things work, and we need all roads of communication open.

I went through the hotel list and noted that the Hotel Figueroa is sold out for AX dates. Why is this thing still used? I have yet to hear anyone speak fondly of this thing or its staff. Also, the J.W. Marriott rates have dropped. I have quad occupancy rooms, and the nightly rate dipped by $55.00 per night! What's going on with that?
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #189
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I went through the hotel list and noted that the Hotel Figueroa is sold out for AX dates. Why is this thing still used? I have yet to hear anyone speak fondly of this thing or its staff.

I think people booked it, because they aren't aware of the Figueroa's owner, Uno's nasty reputation or the serious health issues with that hotel. (Bed bugs, bloodstained sheets, cockroaches all over the place, filthy floors, smell of puke in the cabinets, broken & run down furniture, etc.)

Since this is a cosplay forum, some of the AX attendees don't come here, and they don't read this thread, so they are completely unaware of the Figueroa's reputation. They probably just thought that it's just going to be another regular nice hotel. (In fact, many of them are still unaware that the X-Games will be there at the same time as AX.)

As for why AX still add the Figueroa hotel as part of their convention hotel lineup, I have no idea why.

Another reason for the hotel being sold out, is that it could be that the people from the X-Games are booking it as well. With over 141,000 people coming in for the X-Games, they will be taking away a lot of the hotel rooms from the AX attendees as well.

(Besides, if some of those drunken sports fans pass out at the filthy rooms at the Figueroa, they will be too drunk to care if the bed sheets have bloodstains in them, and the bed bugs suck their blood, or if the cockroaches crawl all over their bodies & faces. They aren't going to feel a thing during the whole night when they get "plastered". )

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-14-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #190
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

ya jw prices droppepd for all of us. it might b because of the xgames or that mayb the charged too much by accident? who knows im just greatful cause now we can afford the parking since parking is gonna b a premium this year
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #191
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Also, the J.W. Marriott rates have dropped. I have quad occupancy rooms, and the nightly rate dipped by $55.00 per night! What's going on with that?
Whoa, imagine how angry the people who paid around $220 per night.

*Conventions for 2015*
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #192
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Baka Zaru View Post
Whoa, imagine how angry the people who paid around $220 per night.
That's the thing. If they registered, they received the same e-mail I did of the notification followed by another for the reservations.

You'd think this is something that they'd want to announce on their website; that the newest, most expensive hotel, has cut their rates. If they could fill their JW block, that might create more of an obvious need to negotiate with ESPN over.
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #193
Nemuren
Great King of Evil

I guess I was happy to learn that in addition to the rate cut at the JW, I was able to get the night of Day 0 added to my reservation. However, this whole business with the X-Games has me strongly considering not attending this year. I really hope we get concrete answers soon for how walking paths and shuttle stops would work. It is concerning that this thread seems to be the only source of information or even discussion on this issue. Actually, I wonder if the title of this thread, "No Club Nokia & Nokia Theater this year?", which only suggests issues with main events/dances, may be obscuring what's going on from many people on this forum.
Nemuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #194
choxie-chan
Uchuu KITAAAAA!!!!

Thank you El_Duque and Hakaider for your responses ^__^
soooooo yeah Imma have to plan out my days XD GAAH XD

Quote:
Thanks for the update, Hcore.

Please remind the managers that communication with people is the way to make these things work, and we need all roads of communication open.

I went through the hotel list and noted that the Hotel Figueroa is sold out for AX dates. Why is this thing still used? I have yet to hear anyone speak fondly of this thing or its staff. Also, the J.W. Marriott rates have dropped. I have quad occupancy rooms, and the nightly rate dipped by $55.00 per night! What's going on with that?

......... you're serious yes? O___O... then, since we're all predicting that traffic and public transportation will be hell...... and I see that their rates dropped o_o..... I'm going to consider that. But I'm going to have to beg my parents to let me stay there (although I'm 18)...... oh boy.........thank goodness I've heard about this o_o........phew.......XDD

AX 2014
Day 1: Struttin on fairy kei
Day 2: Mariah - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Day 3: Chen - Touhou
Day 4: Mariah - JJBA:SC
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #195
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxie-chan View Post
......... you're serious yes? O___O... then, since we're all predicting that traffic and public transportation will be hell...... and I see that their rates dropped o_o..... I'm going to consider that. But I'm going to have to beg my parents to let me stay there (although I'm 18)...... oh boy.........thank goodness I've heard about this o_o........phew.......XDD
Well, after discussing it with a couple of people, the rate change is either to get more people in the hotel to negotiate with ESPN, or there has been such a low response for this hotel due to the X-Games or it's overall cost, they're trying desperately to fill the block. I'm not sure which, but either option seems likely.