Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 12-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Adeloki

How much do you spend at cons?

I'm going to my first con in a few months and I was curious as to how much people generally spend at cons, merchandise-wise not including hotels, gas, and other related things.
Since it's my first con I wanted to know a general amount to bring to a con.
(Not 100% sure if this is the right section to ask such a question)

Unread 12-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It kind of depends on what you want to buy. Do you like small trinkets? Fanart? Do you like to shop or just buy a few things? Do you like big-ticket figurines, limited edition items, or fancy clothes? And how big is the con? At big cons or ones I only get to go to on rare occasions, I take $300 cash for spending money. I'll usually buy fanart prints and buttons (prints average $10-$15 each and buttons usually wind up being g 3 for $5, some years I buy eight or nine and some I barely find two), artist alley plushies (they can range from little $5 things to $300 big super-accurate ones, I keep around the $30-50 mark), candy, often a bag or a clothing item or wig at bigger cons (around $30 for a t-shirt or bag to $100+ if you get into say, Lolita dresses, and maybe a soundtrack or game. Some people spend CRAZY money at big cons, like $1000. Smaller cons, usually $100 will do for meas there's less to buy and I can go to a con they're at later to buy something big-ticket if I can't afford it then. Also, note that I usually use some of my spending money on food (though I budget separate money for that too) and dont always max out my cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 12-30-2014 at 06:30 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Syon
leads the crusade

I usually allow myself to buy at least one thing from the dealers room, but limit myself to never spend more than 50€. My money for food and drinks varies, I spend what I need to spend, when I'm hungry I don't starve just to save some money. But I try to follow the usual tips for keeping it within a budget, for example not to eat at a restaurant, bring water with me instead of buying softdrinks at the con....

All in all the most expensive posts at a *con-bill* are usually the hotel and travel...and often I don't have much of a choice there.
Unread 12-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

I tend to budget around $200, but I normally don't spend that much. It's like Shinobi said-- it depends a lot on what you're shopping for. Figures, clothing, rare merch, custom sewn items; hitting a couple hundred with those items would be really easy. Smaller prints/artist buttons, little trinkets or simple jewelry, and that sort of thing tend to cost much less!
  • Labelle (Animal Crossing New Leaf): 19% (Sewing) AniMore 2016
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY): 28% (Sewing) Katsucon 2016

DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Almost nothing, honestly, at most cons my merchandise budget is $0-$15. A lot of things that look SO FUN and MUST HAVE at a con are mostly just fun in the environment of a con, I've found. Figurines are interesting for about two days, then dusty. Fanart is cool while you're talking to the person who drew it. Nerdy clothes and jewelry are just another t-shirt (out of many) and another shabby electroplated pendant once you get home. I have a small collection of plush hats/ears/assorted novelty headgear that has been worn a grand total of once.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just sharing the result of years of "welp" that illustrated a pretty convincing pattern. Impulse purchases are fun, but for gods sake make them small and cheap.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Adeloki

Thank you for the many different perspectives on how much to spend/bring. The con I'm going to is Anime Expo....which is huge. I was originally thinking of bringing about 100 or so dollars, and I think I'll stick to that plan. I'm not really interested in huge prints, plushies, figurines or games; I'm more interested in pins, small prints (maybe), some shirts and perhaps a wig so I think my budget is fairly decent.
Unread 12-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
TitanSlayer000
Eh

There's no way to know what you'll find. I've spent anywhere between $5 and $150 at different conventions. If you want to limit yourself, $40 should cover everything you'd want at a first con if it's not a huge one.

well, after reading your last comment... If it's Anime Expo, $100 would be better.
Unread 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Killerangel666
You have Cheetohs?

I go to megacon -I have nothing to compare it to so I don't know if ya'll consider that large or not- but in all honesty it varies year to year for me. Usually it's around one fifty maybe two hundred - and that's only stuff I really want- but this past year it was more like three fifty maybe a lil more, but i got a crapload of stuff and yet two or three years ago I went and bought bupkis -got some good photos though- Anyway point is, better to save up and have extra. I save for the better part of the year and take some of my tax return to splurge at the con. You'll have a better idea of how much you need after your first con. consider you're first one a learning experience take a hundred or two if you can to be on the safe side and if you need it you got, if not well you've now got money to spend elsewhere lol
Killerangel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
TaliaRosalie
I am AWESOME OTTER.

All of the money.

(A lot.)
Yuna - FFX
Weiss Schnee - RWBY
Mew Mint - TMM

Upcoming Cons & Cosplays:

WWCC (Tulsa) - Castiel, Angel!Stocking Anarchy, Hana (Me!Me!Me!)
WasabiCon - Mako Mankanshoku, Nozomi Tojo
FANdom Con - Christa Renz, fem!Clear
Holiday Matsuri - Gou Matsuoka, Tohru Honda, Maki Nishikino, Anna, fem!Tori, Morgiana
TaliaRosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Whatever I have on me....lol There are huge differences in what I've had on me at different cons, so there's no "normal spending amount"..One con I had like $500-600 just for buying stuff not including food, and another I had $80..Spent both amounts at each con..Then there's all the numbers of whatever amounts I had inbetween that..Those 2 are the highest and lowest.
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
LaserBrain
Design Studio

Last I spent was around 2K at a con. Met a lot of cool people but I probably won't be doing that again.

$$$ It just seems to be the latest cash cow for promoters. $$$
LaserBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #12
boricuaspartan

Personally, I don't like to buy ANYTHING in the merchant rooms. They're ALWAYS overpriced and so I always avoid spending anything for myself in those places. Especially also because there's never really anything in there that I want wether it's an Anime con, or a Comic con, it doesn't really matter to me. The problem is...my wife and kids don't share that same sentiment, lol. My wife loves to buy herself at least one thing from the merchant room and my kids are the same way. So because of that, I've had to end up bringing a good chunk of change for them to get something. When it was only my wife, we'd limit the spending to about $50. But now that we bring my kids to the con, I've had to bring about $150-$200 for the merchant room. So yeah, it bums me out, cuz I don't like buying overpriced stuff. But hey, if it makes my family happy, then it's worth it to me

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnu0QkPs6lVP-uALjfwIEGQ

Last edited by boricuaspartan : 01-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.
boricuaspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
Baix
Cos-n00b

I pretty sure I went to PAX with about $400 in Australia, so that's probably about $200ish worth of spending money. That covered food, going to bars etc. as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
bring water with me instead of buying softdrinks at the con....
This one especially. At $3-6 a drink, gets really expensive really quick.

Not sure how relevant it is, but if you intend to go to bars/pubs/clubs, assuming you're over 18, and that they happen to be running stuff for the con you're attending, that can burn a big hole in your pocket.
Baix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #14
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuaspartan View Post
Personally, I don't like to buy ANYTHING in the merchant rooms. They're ALWAYS overpriced and so I always avoid spending anything for myself in those places. Especially also because there's never really anything in there that I want wether it's an Anime con, or a Comic con, it doesn't really matter to me. The problem is...my wife and kids don't share that same sentiment, lol. My wife loves to buy herself at least one thing from the merchant room and my kids are the same way. So because of that, I've had to end up bringing a good chunk of change for them to get something. When it was only my wife, we'd limit the spending to about $50. But now that we bring my kids to the con, I've had to bring about $150-$200 for the merchant room. So yeah, it bums me out, cuz I don't like buying overpriced stuff. But hey, if it makes my family happy, then it's worth it to me
What may seem overpriced usually is reasonable. You might not want to spend $6 on a tiny charm, but it takes an hour or two to make each one, and it's not fair to only charge a dollar or two for an hour of work. Handmade stuff needs to be higher priced, or it's not fair to the artist/seller.
Unread 01-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSlayer000 View Post
What may seem overpriced usually is reasonable. You might not want to spend $6 on a tiny charm, but it takes an hour or two to make each one, and it's not fair to only charge a dollar or two for an hour of work. Handmade stuff needs to be higher priced, or it's not fair to the artist/seller.
I think he meant the dealers room instead of artist alley specifically. Dealers room march IS usually marked up (but compared to having to pay shipping on a LOT of items? Still fine for me). I actually dont buy a whole lot in the Dealers room anymore, I've gravitated towards more unique handmade things in the AA in recent years (and will be selling in it myself this year...) and will happily pay the price for quality assuming I can afford it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote