Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
LakuriSyaoran
Queen of Feels

Can you dye bathing suit fabric?

I got some light pink bathing suit fabric today to make Serah Farron's Bikini: http://chrysaliswiki.wikispaces.com/...wear_ff132.jpg

and I was wondering if it is possible to dye bathing suit fabric.... cause I do acctually plan on useing it as a bathing suit XD and I oul just use sharpie bu... thas not gonnna work XD

~*~
Cons for 2014:
AOD , Fanime, Anime Expo, SD Comicon?
New Cosplays:
Lightning - Midnight Mauve; Anna, From Frozen
Returning Cosplays:
-Serah Farron (XIII-2) Standard; Lightning - Default LR outfit, Tootiana - Rise of the Guardians
~*~
LakuriSyaoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

It depends on the fiber content. As I understand it, bathing suits are typically made out of a polyester lycra. Most dyes cannot permanently dye synthetic fabrics.

Some people report getting success with Rit, but that's hit or miss (and may not be permanent).

The only dye that's formulated specifically for synthetic fabrics is Jacquard's iDye Poly.

Definitely don't use Sharpies, because the ink will come off as you sweat. It'll create obvious discolorations in the fabric and get all over you.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
LakuriSyaoran
Queen of Feels

hehe Thanks. I asked a lady in the fabric store about it and she was all I dunno O.o
but I was looking at that idye and the rit. I guess its just gonna be a thing I'll have o exparament with lol.
Thanks so much ^^

Edit: OMG HEY I met you before XD my friend and I were fangirling over your kudja after the masquerade at fanime XD

~*~
Cons for 2014:
New Cosplays:
Returning Cosplays:
-Serah Farron (XIII-2) Standard; Lightning - Default LR outfit, Tootiana - Rise of the Guardians
~*~

Last edited by LakuriSyaoran : 04-01-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Unread 04-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

iDye is apparently really easy to use, from what I've heard. I haven't used that type specifically, but I frequently use other Jacquard dyes and paints and they make high quality stuff.

iDye products are meant to be used in the washing machine. Also be aware that "iDye" and "iDye Poly" are two different products. The former is meant for natural fibers, and the latter is for synthetics.

(OH SNAP YOU WERE ONE OF MY FANGIRLS)

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Here's a tutorial I've made for dying spandex: http://fav.me/d3b7s2d (Note: this can be done on a stove top or in a washing machine, but keeping a consistent hot temperature is important).

As Evil Bishounen said, go for the dyes that are designed for synthetic fabrics such as iDye. You'll get a much better result.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Penlowe

to clarify: you have pink, you are going to make it into a swimsuit, wear it as part of a cosplay, then later dye it some other color for swimming in?

do you swim frequently?
in a chlorinated pool?
If the answer to those questions are 'yes' then I would do something other than dyeing to make it less pink, add some black & white stripped ribbon trim, put a ruffle on it, whatever. what's wrong with a pink bikini anyway? Chlorinated pools are really harsh on fabrics, to the point where they can bleach and break down commercially dyed fabrics, home dyeing doesn't stand much of a chance if you are swimming in it once a week or more.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Penlowe

<< has a pool in my back yard, we will be swimming next month. my kids swim so much I get them two swimsuits per summer, both are completely worn out by the end of September.
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
LakuriSyaoran
Queen of Feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
to clarify: you have pink, you are going to make it into a swimsuit, wear it as part of a cosplay, then later dye it some other color for swimming in?

do you swim frequently?
in a chlorinated pool?
If the answer to those questions are 'yes' then I would do something other than dyeing to make it less pink, add some black & white stripped ribbon trim, put a ruffle on it, whatever. what's wrong with a pink bikini anyway? Chlorinated pools are really harsh on fabrics, to the point where they can bleach and break down commercially dyed fabrics, home dyeing doesn't stand much of a chance if you are swimming in it once a week or more.
nonono. I need to dye the edges the darker pink thats in the picture, I have a very light pink fabric that just needs the darker pink trim. I'm going to swim in it as a cosplay~ Thats my perpose of makeing it out of legit bathing suit fabic XD

and I'm not going to be swiming in it constantly O.o I just want it for like pool/beach gatherings and for times like Fanime when we have access to a pool. also, I live near the beach, so photoshoots oul be fun XD

~*~
Cons for 2014:
New Cosplays:
Returning Cosplays:
~*~
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Penlowe

sew ribbon on, it will work better than trying to spot dye. that edge color is very precisely places along pleats.
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #10
Lilliekristi

In today's time, all girls are fit and look hot and glamorous. I think anyone can look good in a bikini.It's just the factors - you need to be little confident. It is not about wearing a bikini, it's about wearing your confidence more.!

Bathing Suit Bikini
Lilliekristi is offline   Reply With Quote