Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
shipszer
Om nom
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 247
Unhappy Help please?

sorry to be so wordy.

Okay well... I don't mean to sound like desperate.. but I kind of am so....

Well anyway I know that working out and all that takes a while to show through but I'm not seeing like any progress at all... I'm not really too fat, I guess I'd say I'm average. I work out about every day at the gym and at school in strength and fit (which is every other day)

My work out is usually:
-30-50 Minutes of treadmill, elliptical and sometimes the stairmaster
-Every day for the most part(sometimes I give myself some time off)
-6.5-9.0 mph on the treadmill which is a fairly high pace, but I think I might need to turn it up to starting(after warm up) to around 7.0 mph instead of 6.5
-65-80 BMP on the elliptical
-No idea on the stair master...

Anywho~ I also do weights and strengthening exercises too. I don't tend to do this everyday though as it is not suggested. I do a lot of ab work outs but I do arms and legs, like the common push ups and squats.

Should I add more strengthening and cardio? I have been eating healthier lately too, I've been trying to add a lot of protein due to my lack of protein since I don't really like meat.

I think that this whole thing is stressing me out, and that probably doesn't help... I'd just like some help if you would please... I am kind of heading into an emotional slump and I want to get out of it... more water? something?
__________________
My Facebook
shipszer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Penguin428
Registered User
 
Penguin428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 204
What you can take with working out depends on you, not so much the numbers (or so i've been told) if it feels easy you need to go faster/ use heavier weights whatever the case may be.
Make sure your eating right. Not to much. Limited junk. Alot of times the calories you take in through drinks slip by peoples notce, and they can add up fast.
Also make sure you eat enough. Not having enough food can be just as bad as to much.
and DRINK WATER. Lots of it. At least the 8 glasses a day. Try for more. Dehydration does so much bad to your body you'd be shocked. If you don't drink enough you body will hold on to every drop it gets its hands on. Leaving you bloated and pounds heavier that you would be.
__________________
Getting ready for Otakon 2012
Penguin428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
clifftacopter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
For me the trick was portion control and strength training. I had been running nearly everyday for months with very little to show for it. Once I added some serious strength training and limited my diet to smaller, but nutritionally dense (very important!) meals I dropped my weight so quickly it was ridiculous. I'm a 5'9" male who weighed 170lbs at my worst. In about six months I reached 138lbs, which was what I weighed in high school.

Building muscle is a way better way to burn fat than pure cardio. Cardio just burns fat while you're working out, strength training keeps that fat burning all day as it's needed to heal and rebuild your muscles. Definitely keep the cardio in your workout mix though, as it has tons of other benefits.

As for the portions, it's absolutely shocking when you discover just how big a normal portion size should actually be. As a culture we overeat in a serious way. For lunch I started eating these frozen meals from Amy's Kitchen, which are completely organic with no preservatives, most options are quite healthy, and they are properly portioned. Obviously you don't have to do something like this, and preparing your own food is still a preferred option, but for someone like me who hates making my own lunch the night before it worked out great. It's also fairly cheap ($2-3 or so per meal). I was always hungry after eating them for the first few weeks, but as my body adjusted to eating more reasonable portions I found them to be quite filling and satisfying.

Anyway, good luck with your regimen! Everybody's a bit different. This is just what I found worked best for me.

EDIT: One more thing: although you should try to cycle through all your different muscle groups regularly to achieve a balanced effect, some muscle groups give you more bang for your buck that others. People who what a flatter stomach tend to overfocus on working out their abdomen directly, when the abdominal muscles are actually fairly low yield muscles in terms of producing weight loss and a flat tummy. Your large muscles like your quadriceps, your pectoralis majors, your back muscles, biceps, etc. tend to burn fat faster than others, as they use up a lot more energy when they undergo hypertrophy.

Last edited by clifftacopter : 04-02-2012 at 12:49 AM.
clifftacopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Somsai
Guyver 01
 
Somsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 288
As a suggestion to your dislike of meats, I would recommend protein shakes.
Either that or meal replacement drinks like Slim Fast.
For an average person they need to drink about 1 gallon of water a day.
For someone who trains we need a lot more than that due to sweat.

As for weights you are more than free to do it as much as you like.
Hell I RECOMMEND you keep working out with weights and try to build muscle.
No guy really finds a girl with just skin and bones attractive. (imo)
Most guys like those girls tone, due to the fact guys are attracted to a female's curves.
Either that or big boobs and ass. 8)

Ahem...anyways choose healthier meals.
Don't neglect to eat. If you're hungry, then eat.
Also, it is a good thing you upped your protein intake.
Why? I'll tell you why. If you're body doesn't have enough carbs it substitutes protein for carbs.
Another advise would be to not watch your weight, but watch your body.
Try to see if you're losing more fat than you are muscle.
Most ppl fail to realize that they are actually losing muscle instead of fat,
and this scares me. ;(

ANYWAYS, I just wanted to tip in some good advise.
Good luck with everything.

P.S. I FUCKING LOVE SHERYL FROM MACROSS FRONTIER!!! (Official fan of yours now!)
__________________

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
shipszer
Om nom
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 247
Wow~ Thank you guys all I appreciate all the advice!! I've been drinking a lot more water and I've tried to change up my diet a bit. I no longer eat the cafeteria food at our school, because honestly it's some of the grossest food ever. :P I pack my own lunch. I feel a lot better now~
Thanks again!!!
@Somsai I actually drink protein drinks a lot now My mom told me to watch my measurements not my weight, because she thinks my weight will actually go up with the addition of new muscle.
Also~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somsai View Post
P.S. I FUCKING LOVE SHERYL FROM MACROSS FRONTIER!!! (Official fan of yours now!)
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH =DDDD It means a lot
__________________
My Facebook
shipszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
wababex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 24
You have to diet. Even though you're excersizing and burning calories it might not even out. Find out how many calories you need a day to keep your current weight and subtract 400 to loose like 1 lb a week.
wababex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
shipszer
Om nom
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by wababex View Post
You have to diet. Even though you're excersizing and burning calories it might not even out. Find out how many calories you need a day to keep your current weight and subtract 400 to loose like 1 lb a week.

Well actually I learned about my diet and that wouldn't work for me as I was actually eating too little amount a day, because I'm a rather picky eater I only eat a tiny amount usually so I was eating too little~ Diets are really complex and depend on the person~ I really appreciate the input though I have set up dieting already
__________________
My Facebook
shipszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Penguin428
Registered User
 
Penguin428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipszer View Post
My mom told me to watch my measurements not my weight, because she thinks my weight will actually go up with the addition of new muscle.
Hahaha... I feel dumb for not mentioning that. Considering I went through the same thing. I quit working out for a while due to a month of dieting and excercise with weight gain as a result. :P
__________________
Getting ready for Otakon 2012
Penguin428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
MisakiPhantom84
Registered User
 
MisakiPhantom84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wababex View Post
You have to diet. Even though you're excersizing and burning calories it might not even out. Find out how many calories you need a day to keep your current weight and subtract 400 to loose like 1 lb a week.
I thought it was subtracting 500 to loose 1 lb a week
MisakiPhantom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.
 
Slapthefatcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,355
MisakiPhantom - It is 500 per day, but if you take out too many it's dangerous. Plus even a slightly more active lifestyle will lead to burning those extra calories off.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
It isn't difficult to burn calories, and frankly it IS dangerous to cut out too many. You need calories for your brain to function just like you need sugars. Trying to completely cut out calories isn't going to work, and even if you did that would be far from healthy :/

When you hear that it will take X amount of miles to walk off a single can of pop it sounds scary and impossible...but it really is far easier to burn calories then it may seem. I'd say the best advice for anyone is to avoid those gimmicky diets that are floating around like crazy, there is a reason why so many of them exist...because none of the work. Diet and weight-loss companies have vested interest in you NOT losing weight.

There are so many opinions, ideas, and flat out stupid rumors going around about how much of what you should or shouldn't consume, that in the end it would be best to take the advice of your own doctor and return to them if you're not seeing the progress you want to adjust your dietary needs with them. The best example I can offer is the old adage that you should drink 8 glasses of water a day, which has been disputed for quite some time now. According to the National Institute of Health 1 liter of water a day is perfectly fine, 2 if your in a hot or very dry climate or are exercising heavily. BUT that the water you get from fruits and vegetables should make up most of the water your getting. So you don't need to walk around with a bucket of water and a straw all day.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
itlookslikerain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 69
My best advice? Rather than using the machines, go do the same type of exercises without them! You'd be surprised how much harder your muscles will work when your own body is providing resistance.

I started running stairs a couple months ago. It's the most awful and grueling workout you can subject yourself to - but it gets results. Cardio AND strength training at the same time!
itlookslikerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
KuroiAisu
Registered User
 
KuroiAisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the pounds. Your mother is right, muscle generally weighs 3x more than fat. So focus on measurements instead. As for not liking meat I'm the same way. Nuts are a great source of protein and it doesn't take very many.
You also need to shake things up once in a while. Your body can get too used to something and you'll stop getting results. If you find you've hit a plateu throw in a high calorie meal and that will shock your body into working it's butt off to burn more calories. You can also try new excercises aswell.
__________________
お前 を レイプして 窓 から 放り投 げてやる!!
AN 2015: Daytime: Selvan (Radiant Historia), Divine Dragoon Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon), Gilgamesh (FFIX), Nighttime: Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon, Bruno Buccellati (JoJo's Bizarre adventure).
AN 2016: Kiel (Radiant Historia), Kuja (FFIX), Kiros (FFVIII)
KuroiAisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
shipszer
Om nom
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin428 View Post
Hahaha... I feel dumb for not mentioning that. Considering I went through the same thing. I quit working out for a while due to a month of dieting and excercise with weight gain as a result. :P
Ha ha it's quite alright ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
It isn't difficult to burn calories, and frankly it IS dangerous to cut out too many. You need calories for your brain to function just like you need sugars. Trying to completely cut out calories isn't going to work, and even if you did that would be far from healthy :/

When you hear that it will take X amount of miles to walk off a single can of pop it sounds scary and impossible...but it really is far easier to burn calories then it may seem. I'd say the best advice for anyone is to avoid those gimmicky diets that are floating around like crazy, there is a reason why so many of them exist...because none of the work. Diet and weight-loss companies have vested interest in you NOT losing weight.

There are so many opinions, ideas, and flat out stupid rumors going around about how much of what you should or shouldn't consume, that in the end it would be best to take the advice of your own doctor and return to them if you're not seeing the progress you want to adjust your dietary needs with them. The best example I can offer is the old adage that you should drink 8 glasses of water a day, which has been disputed for quite some time now. According to the National Institute of Health 1 liter of water a day is perfectly fine, 2 if your in a hot or very dry climate or are exercising heavily. BUT that the water you get from fruits and vegetables should make up most of the water your getting. So you don't need to walk around with a bucket of water and a straw all day.
I do agree with that~

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlookslikerain View Post
My best advice? Rather than using the machines, go do the same type of exercises without them! You'd be surprised how much harder your muscles will work when your own body is providing resistance.

I started running stairs a couple months ago. It's the most awful and grueling workout you can subject yourself to - but it gets results. Cardio AND strength training at the same time!
Mmmmhmmm running stairs is a real work out I used to run up and down them a lot last year I should start again but my parents might yell at me :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiAisu View Post
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the pounds. Your mother is right, muscle generally weighs 3x more than fat. So focus on measurements instead. As for not liking meat I'm the same way. Nuts are a great source of protein and it doesn't take very many.
You also need to shake things up once in a while. Your body can get too used to something and you'll stop getting results. If you find you've hit a plateu throw in a high calorie meal and that will shock your body into working it's butt off to burn more calories. You can also try new excercises aswell.
Yeah that what she always tells me ^^; I'm taking measurements now~ I love almonds and most other type of nuts~ Hmmm I'll try that~ I do try to look up new exercises to try every once and while


Thanks again you guys for providing so much advice
__________________
My Facebook
shipszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
32spartan11
Spartan
 
32spartan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 257
I see a lot of the word diet being thrown around, I personally like the term nutrition. As dieting or diet has a negative aurora around it I find.

From checking out your workouts that you listed it seems your doing just fine there. Just make sure your workouts have enough intensity. For cardio make sure your heart rate is up around the correct %range usually for those 20 and under it's between 120-160 bpm. If your doing weights and say your planning for 15 repetitions choose a weight that wouldn't allow you to do a 16th rep. If you can do more than 15 reps with the weight it needs to be increased. Don't be afraid of lifting weights you may perceive as heavy. Men who have a whole lot more testosterone lift weight for years to put on muscle and usually use a weight that allows for 12 or less reps.

Remember that nutrition and rest are just as important as workouts. Rest is probably the most over looked aspect of fitness. If your not getting enough sleep your body will be under too much stress and studies have shown your body tends to store fat when it is understress. As well as those who don't get enough sleep tend to over eat as well. Teenagers usually don't get enough sleep. If you find your self dozing off in school it's probably not because your teacher is boring, but because you didn't get enough sleep.

As for nutrition make sure your getting enough protein at least .6-1.2 grams per lb of body weight any where within that range should be adequate, but if your really trying to build muscle the more the merrier. If your trying to drop a couple lbs, really look at your portion control. You may be over eating and not even know it. For example growing up the amount of pasta my mom would serve us at dinner would actually be considered probably around 2.5 servings. Many people perception of what a serving is tends to misconstrued. A serving of whole wheat spaghetti is 175 cals (1 cup). If your servings are similar to what my mom gives out you may think your in taking 175 cals but it's actually 437.5, go for seconds and it's almost 1000 calories.

Need help eating smaller portion? Not sure what the correct portion size is? First I'd recommend start using plates that are smaller in diameter. Growing up a lot of kids get "your not leaving the table until your plate is clean". This is a habit that follows a lot of people. If your plate is smaller and you clear it your in taking less calories.

Start looking at labels. For example a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese usually serves 2.5 servings. Split it into 5 equal amounts and you have 5, 1/2 servings. Put 2 of the 5 half servings together to get a visual of what 1 serving actually looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiAisu
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the pounds. Your mother is right, muscle generally weighs 3x more than fat. So focus on measurements instead. As for not liking meat I'm the same way. Nuts are a great source of protein and it doesn't take very many.
This is one of my pet peeves. Muscles doesn't "weigh more" than fat 1 lb is always = to 1lb. The thing is 1lb of fat takes up more volume than one lbs of muscle. To get a visual of just how much check out this video. It's a little old but she does a great job of explaining.

Feel free to drop me any questions you have.
__________________
- Spartan

my workout blog

http://weightgainersguide.blogspot.com/

Last edited by 32spartan11 : 04-10-2012 at 12:22 AM.
32spartan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.