Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 04-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

2012 Masquerade: Official Thread

Hi all!

Since the con is nearing, I figured I'd better start a thread for the Masquerade in case you have any questions regarding it.

The Lowdown:
  • Saturday Night, 8-10pm
  • Register at the con for approx 90 spots (same as last year)
  • Time limit is 60 sec/1 minute
  • Audio must be burned as audio, not mp3
  • Wristbands required for guaranteed seating to watch, as usual. Hours tbd, but approx half will be given out on Friday and the rest on Saturday.

Before you ask, be sure to read over the AN Masquerade Page, which contains info on the rules, how to enter, and the divisions at AN.

We're also reminding you all that the AN Masquerade has been recognized by the International Costumer's Guild, and that winning a Best in Show at AN is like winning a Best in Show at CostumeCon or WorldCon.

~~~~

We have some Cosplay Guests who will be judging with our fabulous team this year:
DizzyLizzy (from Baltimore) and the MoonRoses Team (from Quebec)

~~~~

And some unexpected but awesome prizes for the Masquerade (we're still working on the pages for AN, so you're reading about them here, first!):

EpicCosplay has donated gift certificates and wigs for our Best In ..... Winners
CostumeCon 32, to be held in Toronto in 2014, has donated a membership for the Best in Class Novice

May 22 UPDATE: SteamPixie has donated gift certificates for Best in Class Novice & Best in Class Journeymen winners.

May 23 UPDATE: CostumeCon32 has donated a second Membership, to be awarded to Best in Show.

If you have any specific questions or concerns that you want addressed off-forum, you can always email us at masquerade AT animenorth.com.

See you there!

~Eleryth

PS. If it's not answered by myself or Kaijugal, while likely factual and correct information, it's not official.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!

Last edited by Eleryth : 05-23-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: updated info
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
HylianKnight
Wandering Adventurer~

Thank you for posting this! I did have a question, more on the technical part... When does the time start counting for your walk-on/skit? As soon as you enter the stage where you become visible? While the MC is reading your intro (not the title, but after that)? Or something else completely? Also the ending time was a concern...

I'm just worried, since I'll have a very large, bulky costume, and walking will be very slow paced. So poses might have to be cut out, or shorten drastically depending how it works to avoid going over the time unintentionally...

Thank you so much ahead of time though, for always helping out!

Upcoming...
Leonardo (TMNT)
Feudal Link (Legend of Zelda)
Abel Nightroad (Trinity Blood)
HylianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianKnight View Post
Thank you for posting this! I did have a question, more on the technical part... When does the time start counting for your walk-on/skit? As soon as you enter the stage where you become visible? While the MC is reading your intro (not the title, but after that)? Or something else completely? Also the ending time was a concern...

I'm just worried, since I'll have a very large, bulky costume, and walking will be very slow paced. So poses might have to be cut out, or shorten drastically depending how it works to avoid going over the time unintentionally...

Thank you so much ahead of time though, for always helping out!
My understanding that the 60 seconds start from either when your audio starts up and/or when you or someone in your group first comes into view on stage. I wouldn't worry too much about the time limit though. A full minute is much longer than most people realize, and you won't be penalized if you exceed your time a little as you clear the stage. Just don't stand there for 2-3 minutes.
Since you have a larger costume, I highly recommend having a stage ninja, or a non-cosplaying friend at the very least, help you on and off the stage. it can be hard to see up there and the steps can be a bit tricky in larger costumes.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Question: can my partner and I request more then one chair for each of us back stage? we're going to be in ball gowns... I understand lots of people maybe in ball gowns, so not everyone can be accommodated, but I'm just inquiring if its possible...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianKnight View Post
TWhen does the time start counting for your walk-on/skit? As soon as you enter the stage where you become visible? While the MC is reading your intro (not the title, but after that)? Or something else completely? Also the ending time was a concern...
We have had large, bulky costumes enter the masquerade before. As Cole mentioned, it's best if you have a handler come with you (not necessarily on stage unless they suit your presentation), but we do have stage ninjas to help you up and down the stairs. There is no ramp or lift, so you have to be able to go up about 5 stairs.

The minute starts once your audio starts, if you have audio. You provide the audio cue, whether it's "when all of us are standing in position" or "after the MC says "ta-da!"" or what-have-you. The MC's introduction about your entry and the title and level does not count toward your presentation time. The time it takes you to get on or off the stage does not count as part of your minute. If it's obvious your presentation is over and you're making your way to exit but aren't off the stage, it's not a problem. You have 60 seconds to present your costume, however you choose to do that.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Question: can my partner and I request more then one chair for each of us back stage? we're going to be in ball gowns... I understand lots of people maybe in ball gowns, so not everyone can be accommodated, but I'm just inquiring if its possible...
Most dens will have about 10-12 chairs but not have 10-12 people in them, so there's usually extra room. However, you are always welcome to put a note on your entry form that your costumes will be large and take up more than one seat; this way, it'll allow us to space out the number of entries in each den better.

Unread 04-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
HylianKnight
Wandering Adventurer~

Everything is really helpful, thank you both! You're very kind~

Upcoming...
Leonardo (TMNT)
Feudal Link (Legend of Zelda)
Abel Nightroad (Trinity Blood)
HylianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth View Post
Most dens will have about 10-12 chairs but not have 10-12 people in them, so there's usually extra room. However, you are always welcome to put a note on your entry form that your costumes will be large and take up more than one seat; this way, it'll allow us to space out the number of entries in each den better.
thanks! I'll make a note on my entry form for sure!
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Can we get this stickied?

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
kaatsumi
Finis Mundi

The website seems to need an update, as its information doesn't reflect the more recent posts here.

http://www.animenorth.com/live/index...3&I temid=143

Under the Registration heading it says there are 90 spots available.

Other than that, everything looks good. You guys are amazing! Can't wait for May. ^_^

Cosplay Plans:
Mami Tomoe - Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (re-wear from last year, with fix ups)
Titania - Fire Emblem
Pyrrah Omega - Soulcalibur 5 (hopefully!)
kaatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Thanks Kaatsumi. I'll double-check with the other director and find out what's what. I thought it was 80, but it's possible there was a typo (the 8 and 9 are close to one another on the keyboard, after all).

Edit: It is 90. Will update my first post.

Unread 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Bolts

When your time is up, will they just flat out cut your music or will you get a fade off and points docked etc?

I've been messing with my song choice for an hour and I just can't shave off the last 6 seconds no matter how hard I try. :<

Edit- Also, what constitutes a "major" award? Best in show, obviously... But what about best in a category? (Not novice, journeyman etc... Trying to figure out what to even enter as)

Last edited by Bolts : 04-11-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts View Post
When your time is up, will they just flat out cut your music or will you get a fade off and points docked etc?
Sound usually fades. If it's obvious your presentation is over and you are exiting the stage and that's when the last 6 seconds is playing, I wouldn't worry about it. You're welcome to let sound know that you just couldn't cut it down and they should fade it at 55 seconds (or whatever your sound instructions are) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts View Post
Edit- Also, what constitutes a "major" award? Best in show, obviously... But what about best in a category? (Not novice, journeyman etc... Trying to figure out what to even enter as)
Major awards:
Best in Show & Best in Class (for each class)

This is because the general "best in show" and "best in class" awards combine stage presentation with workmanship impression. Counting workmanship awards (including best in class workmanship), honourable mentions, and judges choice awards is entirely up to the entrant.

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth View Post
We have had large, bulky costumes enter the masquerade before. As Cole mentioned, it's best if you have a handler come with you (not necessarily on stage unless they suit your presentation), but we do have stage ninjas to help you up and down the stairs. There is no ramp or lift, so you have to be able to go up about 5 stairs.
I have a stairs concern. You say we have to be able to go up 5 stairs... well, my cosplay that I wish to enter has very awkward armour on the shoe-part of the boots, but it's accurate so I'm happy. But I do wonder, is going up those steps included in our time? Or are we to be at the top of the stairs before our music starts?

I'm worried about this as it's my first time entering AN's masquerade.
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
shushuwafflez
~*shushuwafflez*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
I have a stairs concern. You say we have to be able to go up 5 stairs... well, my cosplay that I wish to enter has very awkward armour on the shoe-part of the boots, but it's accurate so I'm happy. But I do wonder, is going up those steps included in our time? Or are we to be at the top of the stairs before our music starts?

I'm worried about this as it's my first time entering AN's masquerade.
Don't quote me on this, but last year I remember being helped up the stairs and waiting on the stage before entering behind some screens. Then entering once the introduction is done.
shushuwafflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Yes, the stage ninjas will help you up and down the stairs, and you wait at the top of the stairs before going on.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote