Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.
Unread 10-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #91
liddo-chan
frogtographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semyl_Shambrow
Hey well..I"m new at this cosplaying and this year I'm planning on doing Kagura, with the costume when she first appears (most likely). And well I'm starting off with the backpack first.

Does anyone have a pattern I can use to make it? And some material adice on it? I can't seem to find anything to help make it...

Would it be better to sew it by hand or machine (used to doing it my hand)

>.< please someone help me...

~Semyl
I modified McCall's Crafts pattern #8550 for my Kyo backpack. I ignored the darting instructions for the head, since Kyo has a roundish head, and made the arms and legs a bit skinnier (though this made it a bit difficult to turn right-side-out--you could probably just stick to the pattern). I also elgongated the tail. Instead of sewing up the back, I installed a zipper and a fabric pouch. I partially stuffed Kyo, then sewed up the pouch, and voila! It holds things. Oh, and it's sewn by machine.

here are a couple photos of my Kagura costume from the back, so you can see the details on the backpack:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....= 8598&page=3

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=158348

good luck!

Last edited by liddo-chan : 10-15-2004 at 04:14 PM.
liddo-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2004, 11:31 PM   #92
Semyl_Shambrow
Cosplayin as Kagura Sohma

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddo-chan
I modified McCall's Crafts pattern #8550 for my Kyo backpack. I ignored the darting instructions for the head, since Kyo has a roundish head, and made the arms and legs a bit skinnier (though this made it a bit difficult to turn right-side-out--you could probably just stick to the pattern). I also elgongated the tail. Instead of sewing up the back, I installed a zipper and a fabric pouch. I partially stuffed Kyo, then sewed up the pouch, and voila! It holds things. Oh, and it's sewn by machine.

here are a couple photos of my Kagura costume from the back, so you can see the details on the backpack:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....= 8598&page=3

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=158348

good luck!

^_^ THANK YOU!!! Now I can make it! I might not make a zipper in the back (I sort of don't really do err that well in it when it comes to zippers...>.>) You're costume looks great too!! How did you make the dress part of it? As for McCall's Crafts pattern #855, you just modified the head and made the limbs longer right? Thank you!

~Semyl

I need help with Kagura costume!
Semyl_Shambrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 12:23 AM   #93
liddo-chan
frogtographer

Quote:
^_^ THANK YOU!!! Now I can make it! I might not make a zipper in the back (I sort of don't really do err that well in it when it comes to zippers...>.>) You're costume looks great too!! How did you make the dress part of it? As for McCall's Crafts pattern #855, you just modified the head and made the limbs longer right? Thank you!

~Semyl
It's McCall's #8550 (make sure you get that last "0" on the end ) for the Kyo backpack, and yes, that's pretty much all I changed in the pattern, plus the longer tail.

For Kagura's dress, I used a shirt pattern, Simplicity 5683, and sewed a long strip of material (which I pleated) to the bottom, forming a skirt. Photo of the front of the costume here:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....at=8598&page=3

The nice thing about this pattern is there's no zipper to deal with, just a cute little tie in the back.
Unread 10-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #94
Semyl_Shambrow

Thank you!

Quote:
It's McCall's #8550 (make sure you get that last "0" on the end ) for the Kyo backpack, and yes, that's pretty much all I changed in the pattern, plus the longer tail.

For Kagura's dress, I used a shirt pattern, Simplicity 5683, and sewed a long strip of material (which I pleated) to the bottom, forming a skirt. Photo of the front of the costume here:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....at=8598&page=3

The nice thing about this pattern is there's no zipper to deal with, just a cute little tie in the back.
^-^ I love your costume!! And thank you again. >.< sorry if I'm bothering you with this...but you used black pants, or tights? I was going to most likely to use tights/stockings, but some people say I should use tights....hmm...^^

~Semyl

Unread 10-16-2004, 01:09 AM   #95
liddo-chan
frogtographer

Quote:
^-^ I love your costume!! And thank you again. >.< sorry if I'm bothering you with this...but you used black pants, or tights? I was going to most likely to use tights/stockings, but some people say I should use tights....hmm...^^

~Semyl
I used thick wool tights, but I think opaque cotton ones would work as well.
Unread 10-16-2004, 02:03 PM   #96
ChibiRydia
Mood Subject to Change

http://images.cosplay.com/showgaller...9&userid=20702

Thats my brother as Shigure! I think he does quite a good job as Shigure, too! More pics to come soon after Anime Reactor, I bet.
ChibiRydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 07:22 PM   #97
Aoine
Dance, Onigiri, Dance!

I think I might try a Tohru, for one of my friends..I am new at sewing, but it doesn't look too hard..Everyone's elses look *qoute teen girl squad* SOOOOOOO GOOOOODDDDDDD

If any one can help with with how to make her winter top, it's be great. I think It's the only thing I might botch completey

<333333333333 Aoine
Aoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #98
bunnybeth
mama bunny

Quote:
Your Kyo backpack turned out cute. It looks so soft and fuzzy, what kind of material did you use for it?

[CONversations] A webcomic about the CON experience
[Sew Bunny Cosplay] [BadCat Studios]
bunnybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #99
Semyl_Shambrow

Quote:
I used thick wool tights, but I think opaque cotton ones would work as well.
-weep- none of the stores had the pattern for the backpack....><....I'm really stuck now, I just need to do the backpack and done...I need help...

Unread 10-22-2004, 09:01 PM   #100
Komugi-chan

I'll be cosplaying as Tohru in her summer and/or winter school uniform for the coming summer's east coast conventions (AnimeNEXT, MAYBE Otakon, BAAF(?)). So if any of you plan to go to any of those as any of the Furuba-gumi, we could take pictures together ^^.

I'd like to have a Yuki... I have someone in mind..but I doubt he'd say yes... maybe if things go well the rest of the year, I'll gain the courage to ask him ^^;

And sooner or later I'll most likely be changing my username to something along the lines of Tohru-chan ^^ So if you see someone posting with that or a similar name, its me
Komugi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 09:05 PM   #101
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

It would appear that pattern is out of print, I was looking for it as well, no dice. I did find a bear pattern that can be modified though. Bear heads and cat heads aren't too different, cat's are more angular too, but the kyo backback in the series had a round head and so do bears. The pattern does have a bit of a muzzle but with poinier ears would look fine. It also woulod need the legs extended and rounded off (it has paws) and a tail added, but since the pattern has a seam running down the back adding it should be no problem. It's butterick 3933 here's a picture of it http://store.sewingtoday.com/cat/itm_img/B3933.jpg
Simplicity also make a similar one http://simplicity.com/design.cfm?des...86&design=9524
Also, tomorrow only (and today but they're closed joanns has their simplicity, butterrick, and mccalls paterns for 99cents. Hope that helps some. ^^
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2004, 02:46 AM   #102
liddo-chan
frogtographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybeth
Your Kyo backpack turned out cute. It looks so soft and fuzzy, what kind of material did you use for it?
I used a matted fur, which gave a wonderfully "old and loved" look after a bit of rubbing. I found it at Joann's, in the fur and felt section.

I'm sorry for those of you who can't find the pattern. I didn't think it was out of print--I bought mine just last year. I'll take a look next time I'm in Joann's.
Unread 10-24-2004, 04:35 AM   #103
Duo2x4
Momiji's lollipop

i just have a little question for everyone.. i'm considering going to a con as Yuki wearing that orange dress.. how do you guys think that would go over?
Duo2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 04:45 AM   #104
kiwi
DATURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo2x4
i just have a little question for everyone.. i'm considering going to a con as Yuki wearing that orange dress.. how do you guys think that would go over?
Ive seen a couple people do it (guys and girls) and people who recognize it always think it's cute.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 11:31 PM   #105
Semyl_Shambrow

^^ I just finished my Kagura costume! I just need to touch up on the waist of the skirt, and the backpack, but overall it's good.

But I have the stupidest question ever....

I have my white sleeved shirt and the...err...top neckline of it shows though the green dress...I really don't want to sew it onto the dress, or cute it though....><....what should I do?

~Semyl