Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 04-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
xTeapotx

Hatred for Brand and Off-Brands?

Hello, I for one do not declare myself as a Lolita but it is one of the fashions I am most definitely in love with. I have seen many posts on places like Lolita Secrets about this hatred for people buying things that are not brand-made. I mean, I can understand why people might go about buying brand items simply because a) they cannot afford it, and b) because the brand does not make it in their size, I mean let's be real, everyone's body is not made the same way and that is just how it is. So why all the hatred? If anyone could add more to this discussion, it would be great because really I'm just looking to shed some more light on all this, and any kind of input is information for me.
xTeapotx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
Meiki

I rarely see actual discussion like that other than the drama communities. I'm sure there are people like that out there, but they're certainly not as vocal as everyone else.
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

The only case is if it looks like crap. I've seen some pretty nasty brand name items before, so to me, it doesn't matter if it is brand or not. I usually buy from indie designers anyway. Quality is always more important to me regardless of the name.
Fionna the Human ~Adventure Time
pocky_penguin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
xTeapotx

That's a relief, I was starting to believe that people in the Lolita community were almost as mean as the girls in the Gyaru community. It was really worrying me for a while.
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

There's bitches and elitists everywhere and in every group. Don't let them bring you down. If someone feels that wearing brand name only Lolita makes them a better person than someone else they better step down from that ridiculous frilly pedestal.
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Zozz

I think the lolita brand elitism is very stupid, because not everyone has the money to spend on $250 dollar dresses and some indie store/hand made items I've seen have been way prettier (and better quality) than some brand items I've seen...

Here is a fun link to prove that: http://wtf-burando.livejournal.com/
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
LunaBell87

There are some who are little snots about it but they shouldn't be taken seriously. I own nothing but brand, yet I don't look down on those who can't afford brand. It's expensive and not everyone has a job or a good job and a lot of people can't fit into a lot of brand outfits. Most really won't care if it off-brand as long as it still looks good and is good quality.
LunaBell87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
xTeapotx

I also noticed that on Lolita Secrets people continuously have things against plus sized lolitas calling them fatty-chan's and such, I don't approve.
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTeapotx View Post
I also noticed that on Lolita Secrets people continuously have things against plus sized lolitas calling them fatty-chan's and such, I don't approve.
Wow, those girls sound like they are in high school. To be real Lolita, they must have the attitude of one and they most certainly do not have it. Lolita EGL = Elegant Gracious Lovlies. lol but that's how I look at it.
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
sailormoonfan14

Quote:
Just like in any sort of fashion, japanese or not, there will be a lot of fat hate. Sadly, people with mean things to say speak louder than the rest. Just like with brand vs offbrand, most girls don't care as long as the clothing fits correctly and the outfit is good quality and well put together
sailormoonfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
KuroiAisu

I don't really get it either. Personally I don't have any issues with Brand or Off-Brand. But I am very old school. Over 10 years ago you made your own Lolita clothing. You had very little choice. There were only a handful of brands (none shipped overseas) and you only had a choice or 4 colors and your lace was either black or white. Black and white was the shit to be. I still prefer to make my own rather than buy. I don't look down on people that buy brand, I do look down on those that treat others like crap based on some fabric strapped to your body.

Sadly when anything gains popularity elitism does tend to spring up (the more popular it gets, the more obnoxious people it attracts). Again back 10 years ago you were happy as shit to find one person into lolita that you didn't give a damn what they wore. It's really like any mainstream thing. Some people absolutely have to have the hottest new thing, others don't care. It's just sadly the loud obnoxious ones that stand out rather than the good.

As for the fat hate, aside from the fact there is alot of fat phobia these days it's just something for some obnoxious person to hate on. They just like any non lolita doing these they're just clearly stuck in the highschool mentality/ bigots. I wouldn't give them the time of day.
KuroiAisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
xTeapotx

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiAisu View Post
I don't really get it either. Personally I don't have any issues with Brand or Off-Brand. But I am very old school. Over 10 years ago you made your own Lolita clothing. You had very little choice. There were only a handful of brands (none shipped overseas) and you only had a choice or 4 colors and your lace was either black or white. Black and white was the shit to be. I still prefer to make my own rather than buy. I don't look down on people that buy brand, I do look down on those that treat others like crap based on some fabric strapped to your body.

Sadly when anything gains popularity elitism does tend to spring up (the more popular it gets, the more obnoxious people it attracts). Again back 10 years ago you were happy as shit to find one person into lolita that you didn't give a damn what they wore. It's really like any mainstream thing. Some people absolutely have to have the hottest new thing, others don't care. It's just sadly the loud obnoxious ones that stand out rather than the good.

As for the fat hate, aside from the fact there is alot of fat phobia these days it's just something for some obnoxious person to hate on. They just like any non lolita doing these they're just clearly stuck in the highschool mentality/ bigots. I wouldn't give them the time of day.

I applaud that.
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

Quote:
I applaud that.
Seconded. Just because someone's not slim, doesn't mean theyre not beautiful. I'm slimmish and I'm not beautiful, I have friends who are "fat" and they are.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Hervia

i tend to favor brand over off-brand items because brand has greater value and resells better. the quality, originality i like as well. its just with brand, it can be called "authentic" and "official" lolita items... something in that sense. i dont look down on off brand lolitas or those with bigger physiques, i couldnt care less honestly, but sadly enough if i was walking around wearing lolita and i see a plump girl wearing lolita as well, id be embarrassed to be spotted dressing in the same fashion as her and turn the other way. i know that does come off as a bitch move... but its the fear of being laughed at.
Hervia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
KuroiAisu

You said you couldn't care less and yet there you are caring about body parts unattached to you. To be honest I'm always embarassed to be in the same anything as someone who thinks another person's body, sexuality, etc will somehow affect them directly (or any of their business but that's a whole other rant). Lolita may be a fashion, but it's still considered out there. You will be laughed at regardless of who else may be in this fashion. We are adults in bloody frills. We will be hilarious to people outside alternative fashions (sometimes even to other alternative fashions). The only reason you could possibly be embarassed over a strangers body is if you are insecure in your own body. Which is something you are going to have to take a hard look at and sort out for yourself.

I'm a figure artist so I've seen alot of bodies as they are, and this probably makes my view biased. There is something beautiful in every body regardless of size. I will have my preferencs for different shapes but that doesn't make the others any less beautiful. There is no perfect body. Everyone diserves the same respect and treatment as any other human being. Something I think society has forgotten in it's phobia. But again that's a whole other rant.

Edit: I know being laughed at can be hard to deal with. No one likes to be made fun of. But ultimately it's up to you if you give their words any space in your head at the end of they day. And by treating those larger lolitas the way you do, you sink to the same level as those that may laugh at you. You don't like the feeling that way, neither do they. I believe you get back what you give out.

Last edited by KuroiAisu : 04-16-2012 at 12:07 AM.
KuroiAisu is offline   Reply With Quote