Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Rin.era
Ephemeral Daydreams

.:: Tips and help? Look here! :D

Hi guys, so it's late night and I've just been throwing around some things in the forums that I've picked up over the years. I figured that I would just make a forum and post things that I've known or learned throughout my short life that could be helpful to you ^^

Now I'm overweight. And the thing is, I know exactly how to lose it, I just lack motivation or I'm affected by other factors. (Half of you are like STORYOFMYLIFE). By the way overweight = 170 @ 5'4''. 30 lbs over BMI I believe.

So I'm hoping that sharing my knowledge with you guys will get me more motivated. If not, then I can at least say I tried right?

Anyway here are some things I've come to know, some are obvious, others, might just be new for you. I'll try and organize this later... maybe.

Water: Don't drink too much, but regularly keeping your body hydrated will help flush out your body and help prevent other problems such as diarrhea and constipation.

To help flushing out your system, try tea, hot or cold, it doesn't matter.

For you chocolate lovers:

If you are pretty intense in your workout, then chocolate milk is the best recovery drink. Low to none fat though. It's suppose to replace the energy your muscles lost during your workout (carbs and protein), and of course it hydrates you along with providing some calcium and I believe sometimes pottasium if fortified. I only suggest for the more rigorous exercise jocks due to the carbohydrate count.

Dark Chocolate is actually healthy chocolate. So go ahead and add it as something to snack on. It helps your heart by lowering you blood pressure and it fights disease. It's also a source of fiber. (Fiber is important!)

End chocolate info

A reason why you could be gaining weight is that you don't have a regular schedule. IT is the reason I've gained so much weight so I put some emphasis on this matter. I know half the people on her are in college and they call it the freshmen 15 for a reason.

- In college, you probably take up a part time job, and your might not have classes everyday, and even if you do, they don't all start at the same time. This means you don't have a sleep schedule. You probably sleep late on some nights and earlier on others, or if you sleep late all nights you don't get as much sleep as you do others.

- This causes your body to not function well because it has to constantly adjust to you. This results in you gaining weight because it works in tandem with your eating schedule, you probably don't eat at the same time everyday and you don't eat well. This causes you to gain weight. ( and a lot of it if not addressed )

That said, simple things like sleeping at the same time and getting up at the same time help maintain weight or lose it if you are doing other things like working out and incorporating healthier foods into your diet. It will also increase your mood and getting up early means you'll be able to get more done, remember time waits for no one.

You should be eating every 2-3 hours, nothing big or extravagant, but you should be eating something. Don't eat once a day. It's the worst thing you can do! Don't think you're helping yourself because you're NOT. I call this method the sumo diet, if you're trying to gain weight try it. (Actually don't it's not healthy o.o) But if you're losing weight, you're only resulting in your body slowing down its metabolism and storing every little bit it can because it thinks your starving.

The best workouts are body workouts! Not weights. Body workouts are things you do without weights, this includes lunges, squats, push ups, calystenics, star jumps, planks etc. Try Planks instead of crunches, I swear you feel it more xD

- A body workout is the best work out because you are only relying on your own weight and gravity to do the work. You shouldn't need more weight than that.

- If you're looking to build muscle I believe this should still work, like those high intense workouts, but you know I guess you couldn't get really muscular without benching or the like o.O I'm not an expert or anything. But I know lifting weights like is not good for you body in the long run.

Running is one of the worst things you can do (who cares you all do it anyway) but it is. A person shouldn't run for more than 100 ft (Animals like cheetahs and the like usually give up on prey after running this distance if they realize they cannot catch up) It's really bad for you in the long run because of the constant strain. If you want cardio, you should try speed exercises instead, or swimming! (or dancing )

That being said ,swimming burns more calories than running (if you do the equivalent amount of distance)

Try listening to your favorite music. Or listen to music that gets you going, maybe the lyrics are inspirational. When I run I listen to fast techno like DJ Sharpnel because the beat just gets me going and makes me want to move faster. But whatever it is dance to it, rock out, sing and bounce off the walls in your room, moving in any form (thrusting your hands out spinning in circles, etc etc) I mean honestly it's really intense if you keep at it, your heart will beat fast in no time.

Want to flush out your system? Try colon cleansing. It gets rid of the fecal matter in your large intestine. (makes you poop) You know those food babies after you eat, I bet it's because you have so much crap (pun intended) in your colon, go to your local health store and buy some psyllium husks in the powder form and some slippery elm bark. If you want the more natural way, make sure they're both powders and mix them in your drink (1.5 tbls of each) mix a little bit of whatever your drinking at a time, this is suppose to get to the consistency of apple sauce of but thins out by the time you get to the top of the glass. (8 oz) (It's kind of like drinking orange juice with a lot of pulp) Drink this maybe 2 to 3 times a day, preferably before meals. It'll totally flush out your system I promise. Oh and it'll be bland for the most part except for the slippery elm back, but just drink it with juice and you won't notice. I've also tried it with chocolate milk. If you don't want to do it the drink way you can just buy the pills or whatever colon cleansing pill they have and go that way.

If you're taking supplements or daily vitamins, know this, the printed mg or amount of how much is in that pill is misleading, there isn't actually that much, it's less. I can't tell you how less but I remember doing a lab for this in chem.

Last edited by Rin.era : 04-10-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Rin.era is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
Rin.era
Ephemeral Daydreams

Here are some extreme things:

A word of caution: You probably don't have the discipline for this but if you do you can try it, but if you're just starting out you'll probably never go this extreme unless you're crazy or adventurous.

To lost weight fast, Beyonce did a diet in which for her meals she lived on on maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and lemon. I think she added it to a water but you can look it up, she lost about 22 lbs in 2 weeks for Dreamgirls, it wasn't required, she did it for personal reasons. If you added bee pollen granules to this drink, you're actually providing yourself all the vitamins and minerals you need aside from fiber.

Try eating all your vegetables and fruits raw. Try appreciating the natural flavor you food has, this way the live and active enzymes in the food will react in your body and help you lose weight.

Avoid red meat.

Last edited by Rin.era : 04-09-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Unread 04-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Rin.era
Ephemeral Daydreams

Need motivation?

Try having a friend work out with you.

Try making an anime workout (ex: every time L eats/drinks something sweet do 10 pushups) Got the idea from a forum that's around I saw, thought it was a great idea.

Remember to think realistically.

Having a hard time in the morning? Eat an apple, it should wake you up way better than that cup of coffee, plus it's healthy and nummy!

Know that all the little steps add up. They really do if you're honestly putting in the effort.

Praise yourself, be proud of getting up early to run a few laps, to stretch and work out. A problem I see is that people never give themselves enough credit. I know I don't do it either but I mean even realizing you've got some chub in your stomach and you want to get rid of it is something to praise yourself for. It makes you more conscious and persuadable to get yourself to do something before it gets worse. Wanting to simply get healthier is something not many people care to do. Asking others what you should so is good work, because you're trying and trying is better than not doing anything at all.

Learn to love yourself, your flaws and your perks, build some confidence, be happy, a better mood will make you more prone to bettering yourself. I honestly think women who are juicy look better than those stick thin models. I honestly feel sorry for them because they stress out and destroy their bodies to keep stick thin, when I'm out eating my chinese food. (ugh so gewd >w<) Now I'm not saying you should let yourself go and get too fat because that just leads to medical problems that I don't want anyone to have D:

Think happy or positive thoughts, if you're working out, work out harder, and then think of how refreshing a nice cool shower will feel afterwards, no shower beats a shower after getting hot and sweaty from exercising. IT's one of the most refreshing things in the world. And then after that shower you feel so energized and your mood will pick up ^^

Try working out after your get angry at someone, You'll probably work out longer letting out all the anger, I know I do.

Cheat, it won't kill you, have some ice cream, some fries, a pretzel, I'm not expecting anyone to drop junk food (maybe if you do lent or something) or things you enjoy completely, everything is alright in moderation, you just have to eat less of it, and maybe reward yourself with it if you do a good job working towards your goals.

Remember in the end, you're the only person who can help you, no matter how many beautifully spun words you can read, how much advice you get, how much you know, in the end you're the only person who can help yourself get going to becoming a better you, so get going

And for now that's all the lovely wisdom I have to share with you. I'm not a medical expert (Although I will be a doctor one day) And I understand you might prove me wrong with whatever knowledge that you have and I don't but this is just what I know. If you disagree, then go ahead it won't hurt my feelings. I'm open to other tips and tricks you might have, as well as corrections.

Last edited by Rin.era : 04-09-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Rhazia

So running and weight lifting are bad, cleanses and fasting diets are good. Gotcha.
Rhazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Rin.era
Ephemeral Daydreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhazia View Post
So running and weight lifting are bad, cleanses and fasting diets are good. Gotcha.
ah no fasting isn't healthy, I mentioned you should be eating every 2-3 hours, this helps with your metabolism and even if you don't like running or weights, exercise is still important. o.o
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
PsychoShinobi

^^ I believe that was sarcasm.

And as far as losing weight/fat goes. Find your maintinence calories for the day and eat 300-500 calories less, abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. Body weight exercises are good for starting but if you really want to build muscle you need to at least do some weights (stick to compound movements such as squat, deadlifts, bench, pull ups as they build the most muscle and burn the most calories. Don't waste your time with endless curls). And if you think running is bad for you be because of the high impact on your joints, do other forms of low impact cardio such as cycling or elliptical
PsychoShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Lithium Flower
Handphones

For the record, cleansing stuff out your butt is unnecessary and frankly has no merit. If you want the funniest explanation for it Penn and Teller paid a sorry gent $500 to go get his colon flushed out and discuss just exactly what this silliness was about in the funniest way possible. Which isn't hard to do when talking about poop. All of the waste that comes out from a 'cleansing' is what would have come out tomorrow. There isn't anywhere for it to 'hide' inside of you, it doesn't hold 'toxins' or any such business. Your just pushing tomorrows poop out today.

It is true that running can be hard on your joints, but that isn't to say you shouldn't do it. If your not marathon training going for a run 2-3 days of the week, or shorter runs every day (like in the morning for example) shouldn't cause any adverse problems. If you're like me, then you should look into things like cycling.

As a bit of an explanation I recently tried jogging and running in place (knee's forward, and backward) and found that I have an extreme pain in my ankles that can bring me to tears :/ clearly not a good situation. For the best explanation of how it feels, brittle is the only word I can come up with. The same happens with jumping jacks. Before I can do any of these sorts of activities safely I'll need to get checked out and find out if something's wrong or if I'll simply need something like special shoes to take more of the impact. Until then walking is just about all I can and I am looking into purchasing a bike. I do cardio where I simply cut out the jumping jacks and do the crunches, lunges, and push ups.

Edit: With what the above poster said about cutting calories, I agree entirely. One user some time ago posted this linkto the American Cancer Society that calculates how many calories a day you need to maintain your current weight. Picking the sedentary lifestyle, your weight and gender it provides the closest approximation to your daily calorie intake.

So at 170lbs, and a sedentary activity level you would need approx.2318 calories to maintain where you are now, take away 500 calories and you would be down to approx.1818 calories a day that you can work with. Essentially you're eating the amount of food to sustain yourself at a lower weight, not your current.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Last edited by Lithium Flower : 04-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
PsychoShinobi

I think this website is better for calculating it
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

the cancer society one seems a bit high to me...
PsychoShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Seems like it to me as well, I just recall it was mentioned to pick 'sedentary' as your activity level.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote