Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 01-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
wasabiprodution
Yaoi-MAN

new to cosplay photography. critque

need some input on how i can improve. thanks!!!

Cosplay 100 by wasabiphotography, on Flickr

Cosplay 075 by wasabiphotography, on Flickr

Cosplay 012 by wasabiphotography, on Flickr

A dying scream makes no sound.
wasabiprodution is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

The busy backgrounds are a problem in the first two. I know how tough it is to get clean backgrounds at ALA (which is why I'm not there currently, actually), but there are a few ways of dealing with the issue. Using a longer lens from farther back means you'll pick up a much smaller piece of the background, which means you can angle the shot to find something less distracting. With the Batman shot, I would've waited for the guy in black to get out of the shot.

With a cooperative cosplayer, you can always take them a few steps away to a less distracting background, as well, or, if you want to bring gear into the equation, you could use a fast (f/2 or better) lens to totally blur out the background. An 85 f/1.8 or 50 1.4 is a great lens for doing just that.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
wasabiprodution
Yaoi-MAN

thanks man i appreciate the tips and words of wisdom. ill take these into cosideration.

A dying scream makes no sound.
wasabiprodution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Caerix
Gamer

It'd probably help to mix it up with the shot angles, instead of doing them all head-on
~Zebra (Vocaloid) - 90%
~Zoey (L4D) - 75%
Caerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
k-existence
Project Anime Cosplayer

yup! i agree with caerix. have some angled shots.. close ups to highlight features
k-existence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

The first image has nice poses. The lighting is pretty on their faces too. I like the snow effect, although the location does not match it. Maybe you were going for humor though. Then, I like the irony. That hotel location does make it challenging to find less distracting backgrounds, but it can be done with different angles, and lens choices.

Batman's pose is nice overall, but his eyes look toward the ground seems odd. Looking where he is aiming his fighting stance would work well. You framed him a bit frame right, which puts too much room behind him. Leading the action usually makes for a better composition. Having people walk behind him is distracting. The dark shirt and shorts of the guy with the baseball hat blends in with Batmans costume. The red wigged cosplayer's hair makes it seem like Batman is wearing a red rose in his hair. I like the vinette effect around the edges.

I don't understand Speed Racer's pose. I think you were trying to make it seem like he is running, but it seems contrived. The angle of his arm hides his upper arm making it seem like his elbow is connected to his shoulder. The badge is very prominent. It would not be too difficult to photoshop it out. The over-all color balance has a yellowish/orange cast. You did capture the fun he seemed to be having.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Missi

Good start

backgrounds get a bit busy but not a bad start, keep playing with shots and see what works for you!
Missi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Django117

The top 2 are incredibly well done. I like the little bit of snow adding to the ice climbers!
The dark edges make sense in the second pic, but not the third. It shouldn't have had them in my opinion. I say choose something happier and brighter given the mood of the photo!
Django117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
fotaku

The top one is my fave. Very cute and I actually like the snow. Kinda makes it look like a postcard.

I forget to do this a lot, but in the last photo ask for the cosplayer to remove or swing the convention badge around to their back. It can be an awesome pose and great lighting but the viewer can be quickly distracted by a visible con badge.

Then again if you have a million convention photos in one folder then having badges visible can help you tell which convention you shot it at.
fotaku is offline   Reply With Quote