Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
OuraniaNyx

Steampunk For A Relative Noob

Okay, so I found this amazing dress on Hellocosplay.com ( http://www.hellocosplay.com/renaissa...ay-p-5123.html ) and I've always been interested in steampunk just never to the degree that a lot of people I know are. This just grabbed me and I decided I'd do a costume. So, I have a persona already set up. She's an astronomer who dabbles in alchemy as she needs to make money. I'm just at a loss to what I could do to make the costume more vivid or portray her more accurately as astronomers don't have too many gadgets you can carry around besides a telescope. Nor do they have many accessories like goggles and such, but those lend themselves to her alchemical skills. Anyway, I'm just looking for ideas. I appreciate any criticism.

- Cassandra

P.S. Steampunk to me is the combination of relative modern science and the major limitations of the Victorian era. So, it's kind of like boiled down modern science as almost all we have now was Sci-Fi to them. It's also about the creativity of science it's self. You needn't be in a lab to make discoveries. You know?

"A belief is not merely and idea that the mid possesses, but it is an idea that possesses the mind." - Robert Oxton Bolt
OuraniaNyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I have to say that is quite the phenomenal coat. I can see why it inspired you.

For your character, you could carry a bag that looks a bit roughed up full of gadgets, like your telescope, some vials of liquids (you could even make a belt or something with those exposed in it), bottles for holding materials for alchemy, and other little doodads. Wear some nice gloves with the outfit that might be a bit stained from the alchemy process. Maybe do some accessories based on astronomy, like a hat with star detailing or jewelry in that vein. I would also suggest some wire framed glasses, maybe the kinds that have various magnifying lenses on them.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

...Could you build some kind of forearm accessory that's supposed to create a Star Chart? Like the metal components, looks like the gears work it...with a large starry marble?

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote