Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

My mother gets a kick out of conventions and voluntarily goes with me even though she knows squat about anime or video games (I'm 29, so I don't need a chaperone).

My husband came to a few, but he's so anti-social that it was like dragging a belligerent child (my toddler loves cons too, guess it's on my side of the family). I made the mistake of getting him to cosplay as Gai-sensei to my Rock Lee and he hated all the attention, making it the first and last time he ever cosplayed.

The funniest thing he ever did was over-bid on me at a charity host-auction. Stood up and gave the other bidder the best stink-eye I've ever seen as he did it. At least the green-eyed monster raised a little extra cash for a good cause.

Unread 04-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #17
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Honestly, I would LOVE to bring my mother to a convention again. It's been so long since we've gone and I know she loves going. She's very into theater and creating things so that's the joy she gets out of it is seeing everyone's costumes and hard work.

So now I'm left wondering... does that really make my mom a "normal" person? Probably not xD
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #18
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

My mom has talked about wanting to go to a convention with my brother and me. We're both grown adults (I'm in my 30s and he hits 30 in November), but we get super-excited over the cons we attend together that she's kinda latched on to that excitement.

We're just trying to decide on one to take her to that's small enough to not scare her (she doesn't handle crowds well) but still has stuff to see and do that would entertain her. Given that she's a self-described redneck, it's easier said than done. XD

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Kyuushin
Wakawakawakawaka

The one story I have about bringing a nonime to the con didn't happen to me and it certainly was't fun. My friend thought it would be a great, awesome idea to bring her emotionally and verbally abusive, attention hog of a banshee with her because the thing was into "alternative scenes" so OBVIOUSLY she would love an anime convention. Needless to say that was not that case. When she wasn't sleeping in her room and was out and about, harshly criticizing people's costumes (rather loudly), complaining about how boring everything was, refusing to go to panels, and throwing a massive hissy fit because she wasn't getting enough attention. And then she had the gall to inform everyone that she was breaking up with her really awesome boyfriend because he wasn't interesting anymore. 1) I don't need to know about that stuff, 2) he was a really cool guy and seemed to genuinely care for her.

So yeah. It wasn't fun. Luckily she spent the majority of her time in the room and when she did come out the rest of us were pretty quick and efficient with getting away from her. Never. Again.
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligoddess View Post
My mother gets a kick out of conventions and voluntarily goes with me even though she knows squat about anime or video games
How on earth does your mom get kicked out o_O I know some staffers have gotten frustrated wit my mom but they never kicked her out.
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpunch18 View Post
I think the best advice I could give those who are taking normal people to their first cons is just to step back and see what happens. In my experience, trying too hard to get someone to see how awesome something is makes it harder for them to like it. (That probably made no sense but it's the best I can do at 8 in the morning. )
That makes sense. I know from experience, my friend tried to get me into Hetalia, and they started talking about it all the time and tried to get me to watch the anime. And their trying to force me to like it, had actually made me really not like it at all.

Anyways, I have never brought a "normal person" to a con before. I would never even think about bringing my parents, if they saw some of what goes on, they would never let me go to another one. Lol that would not be good. Anyways, this summer my friend and her boyfriend (who is into con going) might come, so it will be interesting to see how she reacts.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #22
omgorchid
I try.

I feel kinda bad when I see parents or siblings of cosplayers being dragged around by the cosplayer in question. They're running around shouting memes and demanding hugs from strangers and the like, while the "normal" ones are just like "wtf..." lol
omgorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #23
SoraXroxasXaxel
静か 領

---

Last edited by SoraXroxasXaxel : 11-06-2012 at 08:42 PM.
SoraXroxasXaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #24
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

"Normal" hahaha love that. I tried to bring my mother (yes the anti-anything foriegn, all cosplayers are going to hell parent I have mentioned before) and my step dad to ACEN. It got so far as the drive way of the hotel. I do not know what exactly what happened, probably to many "sinners" for them to handle. While I was waiting in line I herd people whispering about a fight out side. Curious I looked, yup there was my mom yelling and my step-dads finger in my moms face. My little neice screaming her head off. Eh, that's my family only thing I could do was shake my head and pretend I didn't know them. Instead of staying for the convention they drove back home and called me later to say they'd pick me up on sunday. However I did get them succsessfully into a star trek convention, it was great because my mom looked as comfortable as a vampire in church getting communion.

Last edited by RoMayDrako : 04-16-2012 at 06:08 AM.
RoMayDrako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #25
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post
"Normal" hahaha love that. I tried to bring my mother (yes the anti-anything foriegn, all cosplayers are going to hell parent I have mentioned before) and my step dad to ACEN. It got so far as the drive way of the hotel. I do not know what exactly what happened, probably to many "sinners" for them to handle. While I was waiting in line I herd people whispering about a fight out side. Curious I looked, yup there was my mom yelling and my step-dads finger in my moms face. My little neice screaming her head off. Eh, that's my family only thing I could do was shake my head and pretend I didn't know them. Instead of staying for the convention they drove back home and called me later to say they'd pick me up on sunday. However I did get them succsessfully into a star trek convention, it was great because my mom looked as comfortable as a vampire in church getting communion.
Thats pretty much my moms take on it all. She hates going yet she insists on going.
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #26
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujyoshi View Post
Thats pretty much my moms take on it all. She hates going yet she insists on going.
LOL my mom was married to my step-dad that december so she wanted to still go places with him I think. I snuck off illegally to my first convention. Technically I was a run away*, if I told her I would have never gotten to go to my first convention till I was 18. :-P Man I wonder if she got into the convention hall would she have burst into flames; I now wonder.

But I am sure your mother loves you.

(*Do not attempt to do what this user did in real life.)
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #27
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

I think if I "snuck" off anywhere I'd come back to my dead mother who keeled over from a heart attack .... o_o Oh well its not like I have anyone else to go wit anyway.
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #28
TheCosplayFox

I've never brought a normal person to a convention before if there not initially into anime or video games etc I wouldn't really see a point in dragging them along. Though one of my friends brought her friend to a convention with her I believe it was her "best friend" and she hadn't seen any anime aside from the stuff you would watch as a kid like pokemon for example. She kept apparently making rude remarks about me and the person I was with behind out back's about out cosplay and just us in general for no reason what so ever. Along with the fact that she kept on complaining and saying she wasn't having fun. I wasn't by them as I like to sort of wander around but i was told that she was basically being a kill joy and spending the majority of her time complaining or in the hotel room. We ended up having to leave super early on Sunday because she apparently had to get home to do her homework which she could have done on the computer in the hotel room since she spent so much time in there and had her homework with her but she didn't because she was busy browsing the internet.

Oh yeah did I forget to mention that she was also complaining that there were no hot boys at the convention and that she made a remark about her not liking anime because it was for little kids? Along with an extra thing I guess that she is into some books like the hunger game's or something this was before they got massively popular had the movie come out and she decided that since she was going to a convention where people cosplay and her best friend cosplays and it looked like fun she would cosplay to. She ended up being mad because no one recognized her and she said that she wasn't even going to try anymore because nobody knew who she was at all and no one asked for a single picture. I wonder why?

I think since your boyfriend already happens to be kind of into the stuff though he should be fine. Also if someone really care's about you and is mature they'll try and get into your hobby's at least a little bit and they wont bring the party down basically just because they don't know what's going on.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #29
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Quote:
How on earth does your mom get kicked out o_O I know some staffers have gotten frustrated wit my mom but they never kicked her out.
"Gets a kick out of it" is a phrase It means she enjoys going.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
glassbutterfly

I brought a friend who's not into anime, and the whole time during the convention they were so paranoid about seeing people they know during the con. It was so funny that we did run into 2 of his schoolmates who chatted with him making comments about how they didn't expect to see him there lawl.
glassbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote