Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Irarenovo

steamy.. moonkin? design input please :0

here's my sketch:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...amymoonkin.jpg

And heres a moonkin if you dont know what they are O.o
http://www.dynomyte.us/images/Moonkin2.jpg

I'm thinking I can make the feather and medalions bronzed, and make the horns / beak bronzed too. Then maybe get leathery gloves and boots with bronzed claws / nails sticking out of them.

I'm also trying to make it all look "feathery" I came up with 2 ideas:
1) leather "scales", the pattern in the lower left side to go on all the pieces.. or at least the jacket / shawl and skirt
2) cover the entire costume with lace

Any ideas? I'm wondering if there's enough metalic stuff... maybe there should be some belts on that corset too... hm
Irarenovo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

are you trying to keep it all mascot costume looking,
or trying to make a feminine owlbear in a dress type deal?

(imo WoW's owl bear sux, its more "beaked bear w/ wyvern feet"
id go fat bird leg 3 toed ( 2 front one back), smaller beak, more forehead,
horn/antlers would vary, though im not a fan of bovine horns for owlbear purpose)

(also think tauren should expand to include taunka (the buffalo head guys) and
beast-faced cervidae (deer, goat, moose) satyr are "human faced")

heres a few things id try...

1) longer fur on shawl
1.1 sleeves attached to shawl (shorter fur) (if bear arms)
1.2 medium size chain(necklace type) connecting to the medallions (to add metal/bling)

2) leather or cloth "scale" corset
(cloth might be easier to get a feathery look, if leather, go suede side up, for texture)

3) can try a few of those "feather boa" things, for the lace part of the under-dress
and top/out side of the sleeves (downside, lint and pulls apart easy)

4) go hard plastic for claws and use a clear-coat nail polish for shine

5) can accent beak and/or horns with leather purse straps

6) the white stuff on the face are sideburns, female = dont do it
6.1 face should be more "fleshy" and less bushy, id go suede/cloth here too
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Irarenovo

yeah I'm trying to make a more girly moonkin, since I've already made the big fat moonkin.. more of an interpretation

the circles and squiggly under the beak are goofy eyes and mouth, didnt mean that to be blushies and a mustache lol! oops

I like the other ideas though especially the feather boas on the underskirt

I could also make an oversized tophat to stick the horns and ears on, not sure

gives me more to think about, thanks for your ideas
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

I second the boa's, lace is good, long fur is good and maybe instead of leather use suede or faux suede. Something soft. But above all make you decisions based on how it all fits together.
Ororo Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

another idea for a more feminine head would be to use face paint
and find/make lightweight beak and horns (hollow hard plastic or bass wood should work)

shoulder length or longer hair with 2-3" of "volume" would pull it off

that way you wont have the issue of having a sexy moonkin ruined by freaky large mascot head

WoW uses male as a base for most beastkin, and tries to pass it off as unisex,
til they do something like making worgen
then they bust out the anatomically freakish "barbie" cutter and add "cleavage"

imo, it would be better to design as girl w/ beast features
than trying to reverse engineer
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post
another idea for a more feminine head would be to use face paint
and find/make lightweight beak and horns (hollow hard plastic or bass wood should work)
Just a warning... if you go this rout you'll get a lot more negative comments from casual viewers. I do this for all my Furry outfits and it tends to freak people out more (likely because of the Uncanny Valley) but it looks a lot more realistic imo.

If you go this rout you might also find it easier to go with a latex beak and paint it with metalic paint. Look at Northfur, they have a latex beak prosthetic or two you can get pre-made that would work as a great base.
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Irarenovo

yeah for the beak I was thinking of buying a rubbery base.. or making from foam / wonderflex since I want to have some practice pieces before undergoing a possible full suit of the stuff.

I like dict's idea about the hair styling.. a really voluminous feathered back look would probably look really good... if I did it with a wig, i could attach the horns and ears to it and not have to worry. I could also add some white feathers in the wig as the eyebrow / sideburn pieces pulled back

I already did the full helmet.. and god did it get hot in there. I'm not really worried about negetive comments.. there are many people out there that only like "accurate" cosplay and don't try to make original designs. I'm not going to try to fight with them over it, I'd rather make something that looks cool to me[ala steampunk]

If i wanted to make something "accurate" i would take my moonkin costume, spray it bronze, and start gluing random bronzed mechanics to the joints
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

I like originals that are well done because it shows the person has an imagination. There is a steam punk Flash out there that is really good.
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irarenovo View Post
there are many people out there that only like "accurate" cosplay and don't try to make original designs. I'm not going to try to fight with them over it, I'd rather make something that looks cool to me[ala steampunk]

If i wanted to make something "accurate" i would take my moonkin costume, spray it bronze, and start gluing random bronzed mechanics to the joints
Actually I meant if you went the makeup rout. masks (full heads inscluded) tend to 'wierd people out' less than prosthetic makeup. As I said, I think makeup starts entering the uncanny valley a little too quick for some people. I know on the furry side of the universe, even non-furs like the big mascot-style suits, but when people go the prosthetic rout, they tend to get a LOT more negative comments (and not all are mindless "furries are freaks" most are "that is really creepy" kind of comments) For some reason nekos dont fall into this pit...
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Irarenovo

hmm good point. but it's a moonkin! everyone loves moonkins o.o;
ah well, If I cared about people thinking I was a freak, I wouldnt cosplay at all!

hell, I live for all those odd looks on the way to the burger king 5 blocks from the con. You all know what I'm talking about. lol
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
hmm good point. but it's a moonkin! everyone loves moonkins o.o;
ah well, If I cared about people thinking I was a freak, I wouldnt cosplay at all!

hell, I live for all those odd looks on the way to the burger king 5 blocks from the con. You all know what I'm talking about. lol
Lol so "if I've not screwed with atleast 1 perons's head, it's not been a good day"?

Though yes, I'm inclined to say everyone likes moonkin outside of the game... in-game I am not welcome in any instances (lvl 55 or 65 boomkin (dont remember for sure, I have 3 druids))

lol, that's the spirit! The freakier the better! If you've not you should also try crossplaying, and crossplay+fursuit, you can REALLY mess with people's heads then... if your lucky enough to have an androgenous voice.......... *evil grin* "are you male or female?" "what do you think?" "um... I... dont ... know...." "oh well *walks off*" lol
Unread 11-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Emmy6824

I personally like it. Although it really depends on how the colors come out with the dress. can't wait to see what it looks like finished.
Emmy6824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
Irarenovo

trying to wait for black friday to buy a ton of fabric for this and other projects :0 but I think it will be really fun.. I havent done an original design project in a looong time

I did a little searching and found some really cool looking feather wigs.. I havent decided if I'll buy one to try it out, or try to make one.

I also might add a weapon to this.. I made 80% of a staff to go with my moonkin costume, but it ended up in a fail attempt... I may be able to fix it and bronze / leather it up.. could be a very cool prop that screams steampunk

it's this texture: http://www.wowhead.com/item=71039/funeral-pyre
I can imagine the red ribbon as leather, and the designs being bronzed in... or I could go for a little more unexpected and make the "twig" parts leathery with coppery wire and then lace for the ribbon to make it more victorian-esque? I could continue the medalions here too, instead of the fire design. for the horde! XD
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
trying to wait for black friday to buy a ton of fabric for this and other projects :0 but I think it will be really fun.. I havent done an original design project in a looong time

I did a little searching and found some really cool looking feather wigs.. I havent decided if I'll buy one to try it out, or try to make one.

I also might add a weapon to this.. I made 80% of a staff to go with my moonkin costume, but it ended up in a fail attempt... I may be able to fix it and bronze / leather it up.. could be a very cool prop that screams steampunk

it's this texture: http://www.wowhead.com/item=71039/funeral-pyre
I can imagine the red ribbon as leather, and the designs being bronzed in... or I could go for a little more unexpected and make the "twig" parts leathery with coppery wire and then lace for the ribbon to make it more victorian-esque? I could continue the medalions here too, instead of the fire design. for the horde! XD
In reguards to a Victorian feel...ribbon is good, so is lace, and embrodery. But all three is best. Honestly some people had too much time on there hands.
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
Irarenovo

hmm ribbon with lace trim and embroidered flame.. . lol

IDK if I have enough time for that though hehe, mostly the embroidery