Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Gemini25
~Gemini

Will this routine help slim my legs down?

I run 3 times a week, averaging at 5.5-6 miles total.

The other 3 days (work out 6 days a week) I do:

-100 leg lifts on each side

-100 leg kicks on each side

-100 frontward leg lifts (also helps with the abs)

-50 backwards leg kicks each leg

-300 jumping jacks

-50 squats with 3 lb weights

-50 lunges

Last edited by Gemini25 : 04-15-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Gemini25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Rhazia

I think I mentioned in your other thread, but there is no such thing as toning. You CANNOT make muscle smaller by working it. That is just not how muscle works. I can't stress this enough. This routine might give you wicked endurance, but that's about it.

The only way to slim your legs down would be by losing weight. These exercises will help with this by burning calories. That said, when you lose weight it will be from where your body decides to take the fat from and not from near the muscles you are working. You cannot spot reduce fat.
Rhazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Somsai
Guyver 01

Lol, yeah just like Rhazia has stated we did answer this
question for you already.
Its obvious that you don't accept this fact, but
bottom line is that you CANNOT spot reduce fat.
Just exercise and fix your diet. =/

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)

Last edited by Somsai : 04-16-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Gemini25
~Gemini

Somsai, I already have a good diet so there is no (fixing) and I work out 6 days a week. I think my main question would be, would these exercises I do HELP me lose weight. In addition to also doing 50 push ups, 50 sit ups, 100 arm punches (switch off between those and curls) 3 times a week with all the leg lifts, jumping jacks, running, and trying not to go over 1500 cal a day.

I was just told certain exercises work out/lose weight in certain areas, this is what all trainers and work out guides have told me but that is NOT true?
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
sagittarius_1
Galactic Fairy

No, those work outs will not help you lose weight. If you're looking to lose weight then doing a lot cardio is your best bet. Working out specific muscles and losing weight are two completely different things. When it come to the exercises you listed, yes it will help you tone and build muscle in your legs; but, muscle weighs more then fat. You will see a weight loss at first simply because you are working out but over time you will gain weight because muscle weighs more then fat.

Rhazia and Somsai are both correct in that you cannot spot reduce fat. I think what those trainers/guides meant is that those exercise will tone those areas and help make them tighter and stronger.

My advice would be though that if you find legs are your trouble area then I would work with a personal trainer who would be more capable to give you a personalized work out regime that would best suit you. In addition to that they can watch you to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly, (not that I'm insinuating that you are not) since a lot of muscle training relies heavily on doing the routine correctly.

Man sorry wall of text, and hope that answered your question @__@.

Sheryl Nome { artbook version } x o4o %
Velvet { standard } x o3o %

Last edited by sagittarius_1 : 04-16-2012 at 02:46 AM.
sagittarius_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini25 View Post
Somsai, I already have a good diet so there is no (fixing) and I work out 6 days a week. I think my main question would be, would these exercises I do HELP me lose weight. In addition to also doing 50 push ups, 50 sit ups, 100 arm punches (switch off between those and curls) 3 times a week with all the leg lifts, jumping jacks, running, and trying not to go over 1500 cal a day.

I was just told certain exercises work out/lose weight in certain areas, this is what all trainers and work out guides have told me but that is NOT true?
Yes, it is not true. Trainers are in it only for the money.
The more customers the more money for them.
Some of them are honest and great trainers,
but most of em' are about the money. (Waste of money imo when we have the internet)
I know a guy who has his trainer license at age 18.
He tells me how easy it was to get his license.
I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. No one in this forum is.
Just trying to convince you that it is not true.
Go on any REAL fitness forum and they will tell you
the exact same thing. I guarantee you that. =/
Btw its not always just about calories.
You have to also consider things such as protein, healthy fats, and carbs intake.
That was why I told you that you might want to try fixing your diet.
If it isn't that it may be the way you're training.
Its always about trial and error and getting to know your body.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)

Last edited by Somsai : 04-16-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I always assumed when people meant 'toning' particular parts of the body they meant building muscle definition through weight training, not that you could make that part of the body skinnier through weight training. Is this the correct assumption? I presumed 'toned' meant muscle definition not skinniness.

It was my belief that 'spot reducing' was not meant in a literal sense (as I assumed such a thing is impossible-much like how working out a single arm will not give you one giant crab claw of an arm and one little t-rex stub of an arm) but again meant building muscle in that area. I guess I just assumed these terms where not meant in a literal sense, but where the simplest way to market to the masses.

I assumed that sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges, etc all worked to help the entire body to lose weight. While squats may build up the leg muscles I was under the impression that all of these things worked to help the body as a whole-not small bits and pieces.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Rhazia

Quote:
Yes, it is not true. Trainers are in it only for the money.
Harsh, but unfortunately true in a lot of cases. And what you said about getting a certification easily is also unfortunately true.

EDIT: Also, yes, those trainers lied to you.

I do disagree whole-heartedly about trainers being a waste of money. If they are certified through the NSCA or CSEP, for example, they have at least 2 years post secondary in a fitness-related program meeting prerequisite programs and have gone through some pretty harsh written and practical exams. Versus a weekend course and exam for easier certifications. Some really know what they are talking about and how to apply that to the public, you just have to know what to look for.

Quote:
I always assumed when people meant 'toning' particular parts of the body they meant building muscle definition through weight training, not that you could make that part of the body skinnier through weight training.
Yup, it's true. Your muscle is tight as it is. It's the reason you are able to stand and move. You don't make it look tighter and skinnier by working it. It's all either making the muscle bigger or losing the fat around it so that you can see it better. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand that.

Quote:
I assumed that sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges, etc all worked to help the entire body to lose weight. While squats may build up the leg muscles I was under the impression that all of these things worked to help the body as a whole-not small bits and pieces.
Weight loss with these movements depends mostly on your heart rate. Doing them in sets with short rest periods would have a greater effect on weight loss than recovering each time you did an exercise.

as for stressing different muscles. It's complicated... For the squat example, if it's body weight squats it'll work your legs a bit but not much else. If it's weighted like a barbell back squat, it intensly works your legs and glutes and also works your low back and core because you need to stabilize the weight. So, while many exercises work the body as a whole, most are designed to work specific musculature and will make it bigger. Pushups will work core a bit, but will make chest and arms bigger, etc.
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Lithium Flower
Handphones

For the squats I do, I do 50 reps at a time, in four sets to reach 200. It was a move done in a martial arts class before going into the moves themselves so I assumed this was appropriate?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Rhazia

That would be great for endurance training and a good warm up for your legs. I don't know what kind of martial arts you're involved in, but I take karate and having good endurance in your legs and glutes is pretty important for kicks and stances and whatnot. Sport-specific training is a bit different than what the public would do.

It is not much of an upper body warm up. Squats are not a whole body exercise.
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I am not in marital arts myself, Boyfriend took 10 years or so of ninjitsu and jiujitsu and has introduced me to some different work outs he was doing in his class previously.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Somsai
Guyver 01

Squats are amazing...but I fucking hate that shit.
I use to do a bit of martial arts myself (kung fu and muay thai).
I personally enjoyed it, and I noticed I was getting pretty cut
when I started learning. This was a long time ago though.
Now I can barely kick over my head. 8)

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Funny enough, squats don't really bother me. The only thing that I genuinely hate doing and feel like I have to really force myself through are sit ups.

Those things are bullcrap.

"Oh you want me to do 100 reps with 10lb weights? I'll get right one that!"

"Oh you want me to do 100 sit ups? Lol fuck"
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Foques

I'm there with Somsai. On all points.

Exactly the reason why I opted out of the PT cert/school.
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Gemini25
~Gemini

I am a broke college student. If I can't even afford $20-30 a month for the YMCA, I sure as hell cannot afford a personal trainer (I see no need, I am not over weight) and do not have the money OR time to spare. I work out at really odd hours, the only way I have time is to get to work early and use her treadmill (my boss) and do the jumping jacks, leg lifts etc at my house usually around midnight-2am etc (when I'm up)

All I know, is when I was at my thinnest (granted I didn't have much curves) my diet wasn't much different and I wouldn't even run, I would just do the exact same exercises I told you I'm doing now and I looked FANTASTIC. My arms/legs didn't look overly build but now I am worried about getting them more built because they are bigger now than they were then (with squats and whatnot, and no they are not fat now. I wear a size 4 and 26") because I do not WANT that.

With the jobs I'm looking to get into, I will have free access to not just the gyms there but any gym. These would be with the Police/Fire station etc.

Also, are there some kind of stretches I need to be doing? All I know is that the past 2 days of doing this leg lifts (I think it's mostly the jumping jacks etc) have been murder on my calves. I can't even do my run today because I have been limping alll day. Like I can barely walk, it's stupid.

Last edited by Gemini25 : 04-16-2012 at 03:05 PM.