Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 109 votes, 4.72 average.
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Anime Expo - Information Needs and Concerns

We've been discussing several matters in the No Club Nokia & Nokia Theater thread that should be given some more attention and don't quite fit in that subject anymore.

Remember, this is for information sharing and supposition. We're here to discuss, not engage in flame wars because that's a waste of time.

What we know is that the X-Games is happening the same weekend as Anime Expo. On the surface, this doesn't seem like a bad thing, but it does cause problems in that the direct route by foot from the J.W. Marriott and the Luxe to the LACC could be completely cut off based on the 2011 layout of the X-Games as below:

X-Games 2011 Map

Thank you to Hetalia-Chan for their investigative prowess.

So, this is inconvenient at best. There's an added concern in that, as far as we know, the X-Games and ESPN will be serving alcohol to their patrons, and we as anime fans, and more specifically cosplayers, may be the subject of some intense scrutiny and potential ridicule.

We've been discussing this issue on and off and attempting to contact ESPN for some information, but we've either been misunderstood or blown off so far. We've also had some assurances that the SPJA is working on the issue, but the progress has been sort of slow for my personal tastes.

Another curiosity is that the rates for the J.W. Marriott of have suddenly dropped by $15 per night for single occupancy, and $55 per night for quad occupancy. To me, this says they're really pushing to get more people in the hotel, but is it to either force negotiation with ESPN by showing there's more of us there, or was there just not enough people taking advantage of the hotel?

That's up to speculation

People are still booking the Hotel Figueroa, even though it's arguably the most vile hotel in the area. I don't think it's arguable that it's the most vile hotel in the AX block.

Last on my personal list is that the Anime Expo website forum is down. There's a splash page in its place stating that it's down for some long-standing technical difficulty. I wasn't aware of any prior difficulty.

See for yourself here.

Does anyone have any more information on what this is about? For me, this is a serious problem when we're 2 months away from a convention that, again, to me, is fighting to maintain its title as the biggest U.S. anime convention, and now they have no way to converge, arrange gatherings, and speak to each other unless they happen to come here. And if they're non-cosplayers, it's less likely they'll come here.

Sorry, but I think there needs to be a bit of information shared, and I was hoping that some people out there have more than I do.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Squall
Woo-Hoo!!!

I'm still waiting for information about line access and area's that are ok for the gatherings to be held since the X games are in town. Once I hear back from my AX contact, the gathering list will be open for submissions. I'm keeping an eye and ear out.
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
So, this is inconvenient at best. There's an added concern in that, as far as we know, the X-Games and ESPN will be serving alcohol to their patrons, and we as anime fans, and more specifically cosplayers, may be the subject of some intense scrutiny and potential ridicule.
I think this is going to be one of the biggest, and most important concerns among cosplayers and the anime fans. (Some people do start acting stupid, whenever alcohol is thrown into the mix.)

I am going to repeat what I said in the other thread here. As I said before, I don't want what happened at Dragon Con a few years ago to happen at AX. The safety of the AX attendees should always come first. If the AX fans aren't going to be assured of their safety, do not be surprised if some of them start carrying their own personal pepper sprays to protect themselves.

Quote:

This reminds me of what had happened at the DragonCon convention in Atlanta, Georgia, a few years ago, when a group of drunken sports fans from a nearby football game wandered into one of DragonCon's convention's hotels. The drunken sport fans tried to pick a fight with the cosplayers by not only heckling the cosplayers, they were also tearing off the cosplayers's costumes. (Some of them tried to pin both male & female cosplayers to the floor, or to the wall & tried to remove their costumes.) Needless to say, many of the other cosplayers did not take their actions too kindly, and there were more than a few fist fights.

It was also a first time for DragonCon, and they never had a problem like that before, because their con had one of the best safety records in the South. But they also took care of that problem very quickly. DragonCon has stepped up their security since that incident, and only convention attendees with their badges are now allowed into the convention hotels. (Those drunken sports fans also were banned permanently from the convention hotels, and one of the biggest sponsors of the football game immediately pulled their sponsorship after they learned of that incident.)

My hope is that there won't be a repeat here of what happened at DragonCon. And if both AX & ESPN take the proper security procedures, it will lessen that chance greatly.

Perhaps as a possible security procedure, AX should allow only AX attendees with badges into the LA Convention Center, and have a special walkway that leads into the entrances of the convention center for AX attendees only. This is to prevent from any of the over 140,000 people from the X-Games from intentionally wandering into the convention center. I realize that some of the fans may get upset with such a tight security procedure, because it would mean that they can't be "Ghosting" anymore. (The act of showing up at the convention center without intending to buy a badge) But with over 141,000 people from the X-Games wandering about outside the convention center, it's far better to be safe than sorry.
Quote:
While it is true that that it would be difficult to patrol every single exit & entrance of the convention center, the two most important entrances to watch would be the main entrances to the South Hall & West Hall. (Especially the West Hall entrance, where it is the closest to most of the X-Games event. This is the most likely spot that curious people from the X-Games would try to enter. (It's doubtful that they will try to take the long way around and enter through the back door exits.) They can also post security guards with a table & chair at two of the main entrances, since either AX or the LACC had hired a security force for the con in the past. The rest of the security team could do a roving patrol inside the convention center to make sure that people have their AX badges. (This way, they can provide security for the convention, without having to cover every single entrance & exit.)

Some of the conventions at the LACC have done this in the past. They didn't cover every single exit or entrance, but they covered the two main entrances to the South Hall & West Hall, and they had a roving patrol inside to make sure people had their badges.

Some measure of security is better than doing nothing. (If some people are hoping that the problem will just go away by itself, it won't. When you have over 141,000 people at the X-Games, that is a factor that just won't go away by itself.)

Quote:

People are still booking the Hotel Figueroa, even though it's arguably the most vile hotel in the area. I don't think it's arguable that it's the most vile hotel in the AX block.
"Vile" is an understatement.

I'm going to repeat what I said about the Figueroa Hotel in the other thread as well. I stayed in this hotel during one of Anime Expo's, and it was so horrible, that we moved out after the 2nd day. (I'm also going to repeat what I said about the Millennium Biltmore Hotel.)

Quote:
For everyone who needs to book the convention hotels for AX, here's the link from AX: (These are the convention rates, and it will be cheaper than if you book it directly from the hotel.)

https://www.cmrhousing.com/ANIM_1A/HotelList.aspx

Note: There's 2 hotels that I really wouldn't recommend booking that's on that list.

1. Figueroa Hotel

AVOID booking the crappy Figueroa hotel at all costs. Let's just say, this is a place to avoid, unless if you like sleeping with six legged friends in your bed, blood stained sheets, bed bugs, unsanitary & filthy conditions, and a room that's falling apart. I remember when I stayed here, I opened up the restroom's medicine cabinet, and a group of cockroaches rushed out. (It was all rusted on the inside.) The floor was so filthy, that when I walked barefoot on the hard uncarpeted stained bare floor, (With protruding cracks) the soles of my foot was all black with sooth & dirt. It got so bad, that my roommates and I moved after the 2nd day to the nicer Wilshire Grand hotel. (Unfortunately, the Wilshire Grand hotel is now demolished.)

The worst part about the hotel though, is dealing with a belligerent & combative owner named "Uno". The hotel is not part of any hotel chain, and Uno owns the hotel lock, stock, and barrel. Uno answers to no one, so he does whatever he want. The man will yell, cuss & swear to your face, if you dare to complain about his hotel. (He has thrown out guests in the middle of night for complaining about the hotel.) He also doesn't like females, and he will openly talk down to them. If there are any males in the party, he will purposely talk to the male, and pretend the females doesn't exist.

A large percentage of Uno's customers are European tourists, so he doesn't give a flying hoot, if he blatantly offends the locals. (He gets busloads of European tourists at his hotel.)

And yes, he doesn't like Americans either, and he's been very vocal about it.

That hotel also has one of the worst reputations in downtown LA. Some LA locals know about Uno's reputation, and they wouldn't touch that hotel with a ten foot pole.

In short, this filthy place makes a Motel 6 look like the Ritz Carlton.

I'm also kind of surprised as to why AX would include this hotel every year on their hotel convention list. (I have to ask, do they send people from AX to actually inspect the rooms at this hotel?)

2. Millennium Biltmore Hotel.

I'm also going to repeat this from the other AX Hotel thread about the Millennium Biltmore Hotel.

The Millennium Biltmore Hotel offers something a bit more "extra", if you book that hotel. (It's listed in the hotel link as choice# 9: Millennium Biltmore Hotel.)

The Millennium Biltmore Hotel has a long reputation for being haunted with ghosts, and ghost hunters have said that the place can be very "active" at times. It's also used sometimes as part of a "ghost tour".

A recent hotel guest named "Sue B", (Who stayed there in September 2011) even described her paranormal experience at the hotel review site in Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...alifornia.html

There are stories that the hotel's staff workers & security greatly dislike working the graveyard shift, and in the 10th & 11th floor. (Where it is supposedly most "active".)

Whether you believe in ghosts or not, it's just something to aware of, regarding that hotel's reputation if you do decide to book it.

Personally, after a long day at AX, I wouldn't really appreciate it if an extra "guest" in the room wakes me up in the middle of the night, and keeps me awake for the rest of the night.

And no, the other hotels like the J.W. Marriott, the Luxe, Sheraton, Westin Bonaventure doesn't have a haunted problem.

Other Hotel Notes:

All the other hotels in that AX booking list can be classified as excellent, good, adequate, or Motel 6 quality.

Also, certain days have already been sold out for certain hotels. Be sure to check on that AX hotel link above, as to which days are available for the hotel of your choice. If you see a "X" sign, it means that day is no longer available. If it see a "Check" sign it means that it is still available for that day. ("1 Bedded Room" also means only 1 bed instead of 2 beds.)

Besides the J.W. Marriott, and the Luxe, I would also recommend the Sheraton.

The nice thing about the Sheraton hotel is that it is a nice hotel, and it is still within walking distance to the convention center. (About a 10-15 minute walk one way.) Both the Wilshire Grand hotel, (Before it got demolished late last year to make way for a new hotel) and the Sheraton were one of the hotels that were the next closest to the convention center, after the Luxe, and J.W. Marriott. (I'm not going to even count the Figueroa hotel.)

IHOP & Subway, as well as a CVS pharmacy store is also less than a block away from the Sheraton.

And for obvious reasons, the J.W. Marriott, and the Luxe won't have shuttle access, because it's really close to the convention center.

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-17-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

*Continuing the previous post, since it went over the post limit.*

Quote:
What we know is that the X-Games is happening the same weekend as Anime Expo. On the surface, this doesn't seem like a bad thing, but it does cause problems in that the direct route by foot from the J.W. Marriott and the Luxe to the LACC could be completely cut off based on the 2011 layout of the X-Games as below:

X-Games 2011 Map

Thank you to Hetalia-Chan for their investigative prowess.

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread as well. Ease of access & getting to the convention center safely is going to be some of the biggest concerns among the AX attendees. A access way for the AX attendees (and the dealers/vendors as well) should be provided, so it would will not be difficult for the AX attendees to access the entrances of the convention center. If the X-Games block most of the entrances, it will become a fire & safety hazard, and the Fire Marshal won't be pleased.

Quote:

With over 141,000 people from the X-Games hogging most of the parking spots at the convention center, finding parking is going to be a real pain in the neck.

Last year, the front street facing the convention center was also blocked off for whole block for a car rally race for the X-Games. (This means that the hotel shuttles may have to drop people off in the back or on the side of convention center since the front area of the convention center will entirely blocked off.) People staying from the Luxe hotel will have to also use an alternative crosswalk to get to the other side, because it will be blocked off.

Keep in mind that the X-Games will DOMINATE the downtown LA-Live area. They will take the Nokia Theatre, the Staples Center, the entire LA-Live Area, as well as blocking off the streets around certain areas at the convention center. And if they follow last year's map, the area where the hotel shuttles were dropping off the AX attendees will blocked off as well.

Driving through that area is going to be a nightmare with those streets blocked off.

Quote:

And if they're non-cosplayers, it's less likely they'll come here.
As I've also said in the other thread, there are still many AX attendees who may not be aware of the X-Games being at the same time as AX. Those who have read this thread will be aware of the situation, and can prepare for it. But those who do not know, will end up being very surprised to see over 141,000 people taking over the entire LA-Live area.

I think it would prudent for AX to post a special notice at their website that the X-Games will be held at the same time, just so that at the very least, their attendees will be aware that they will sharing the event with ESPN.

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-17-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Hmm, why doesn't AX post a notice about the X Games on their homepage for the benefit of the attendees? It's not like it's top secret knowledge that can't be leaked out early or something. Can any staffers/managers of AX watching this thread explain why that is? But then again, AX has usually been very bad about putting any pressing information like that on their homepage that isn't buried off to the side or at the bottom of the page. Seems like a bad practice to me, but that's my two cents.
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

of what it seems to be told, ax is not letting out any info except they are working on it, which actually may be to the benifit of the con group. If ax said now that they are working with the xgames but they havent solved anything yet, I would b more worried instead of knowing that they are working on it. Ax is doing the best the can hoepfully so we hopefully hear in the next couple of weeks.
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

The only thing IM worried about is the safety of the AX attendes.If you've noticed,the WH entrance is right next to LA LIVE,meaning people will be sitting there drinking and acting like idiots,and I just dont want something bad or dangerous happening to
anyone in general.Another thing is;why did X-games even MOVE there date?Isnt it always alittle after AX?We've never had problems with the LACC date,why now?So why move it THE SAME WEEKEND as AX when they could have done the X-games farther into summer?
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
The only thing IM worried about is the safety of the AX attendes.If you've noticed,the WH entrance is right next to LA LIVE,meaning people will be sitting there drinking and acting like idiots,and I just dont want something bad or dangerous happening to
anyone in general.Another thing is;why did X-games even MOVE there date?Isnt it always alittle after AX?We've never had problems with the LACC date,why now?So why move it THE SAME WEEKEND as AX when they could have done the X-games farther into summer?
The reason behind the X Games moving their dates is likely due in large part to the summer olympics and apparently some of the athletes compete in that as well. I'm sure that both sides have plans for beefed up security presence...they'll need it with so many people around
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
of what it seems to be told, ax is not letting out any info except they are working on it, which actually may be to the benifit of the con group. If ax said now that they are working with the xgames but they havent solved anything yet, I would b more worried instead of knowing that they are working on it. Ax is doing the best the can hoepfully so we hopefully hear in the next couple of weeks.
For me, that's not enough. By that, I mean that the SPJA has had knowledge of the situation since January at the minimum. It's been almost 5 months with no solution. This is feeling like when you call in to a customer service number and after explaining the problem, you're put on a painfully long hold, the entire time listening to "We apologize for the delay, but your call is important to us..."

With so many people worried about safety, this is the kind of thing that needs very immediate and swift work, let along that they could be cutting off traffic for those of us that plan ahead and booked hotels near the LACC. It's similar to when people pre-registered for 2011 very early, but suddenly there were lower pre-registration rates a couple of months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
The reason behind the X Games moving their dates is likely due in large part to the summer olympics and apparently some of the athletes compete in that as well. I'm sure that both sides have plans for beefed up security presence...they'll need it with so many people around
That's about the line of logic we came to a conclusion on in the other thread, that the Olympics date affected the X-Games.

I am a bit more concerned about foot traffic since the X-Games is using the Staples Center. That will mean multiple lines and crowds around this building, and after being there for SummerSlam, I've seen how the walkways around the building on all sides are just choked with people. The only thing I haven't seen in this regard is when you add beer to the mix since the WWE does not do alcohol sales at their events.
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I am a bit more concerned about foot traffic since the X-Games is using the Staples Center. That will mean multiple lines and crowds around this building, and after being there for SummerSlam, I've seen how the walkways around the building on all sides are just choked with people. The only thing I haven't seen in this regard is when you add beer to the mix since the WWE does not do alcohol sales at their events.
This is one of my main concerns as well. How are AX attendees, as well as dealers & vendors are going to be able to access the entrance of the West Hall. Since the areas around the Staples Center are going to be blocked off, how are AX attendees & the vendors going to able to get inside the convention center?

The area where the AX hotel shuttles are used as a drop off point & pick up point at the convention center, may be blocked off as well, and used by the X-Games.

I've been hearing from some of the vendors as well, and they are starting to get concerned as well. They want to know how they are going to get their merchandise inside, when the X-Games will be blocking several access points to the convention center. So far, some of these vendors have said that the issue isn't being addressed so far, and they aren't being told yet as to how things are going to be worked out.

Here's some You Tube videos of last year's AX Games at the LA Live area.

1. Crowds

In this video, you can see the entire LA Live area being blocked off, and the HUGE crowds of over 141,000 people from the X-Games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeMwv...eature=related

Look carefully at that video. You can clearly see that the main access way to the convention center has been blocked off. Unless a special access way is created, how are AX attendees and the vendors going to be able to wade through that HUGE crowd to get to the convention center?

2. Streets Blocked Off Around the Convention Center

This is the "Rallycross" car race from the X-Games last year. You can clearly see in the video that huge areas of the streets around the convention center have been blocked off. (You can see in the video that barriers has been set up in front of Staples Center & the Convention Center.)

The entrance to the West Hall entrance has been barred as well, and this event takes over the streets that surrounds the front of the convention center as well. (The South Hall front entrance may be blocked off as well.)

How are AX attendees going to be able to get in the convention center, when the streets around the convention center are going to be blocked off for the car race?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRMdYr2Dd44

3. Convention Entrance Access Blocked Off:

In this video, you can clearly see that the access to the West Hall entrance has been blocked off. This event blocks the main access way to the front entrance of the West Hall of the convention center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3FPysqpWII

Pause at :20, and you will clearly see that this event is actually blocking the major access way to the entrance of the West Hall of the convention center.

In short, how are you going to have a convention when people can't get inside the convention center? This issue should really be addressed in a timely manner.

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-18-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Freight

Well, there is a similar access/shuttle road outside the South Hall, so the shuttles do have an option to work with, but I still don't see an access way for foot traffic unless we want to go blocks out of our way or skirt the X-Games and mingle with that crowd.

The vendors, if they have the money/time, may be better served by getting their wares in on the 27th, since the X-Games starts on the 28th, and focusing on setup the day after.

Either way, ideally, only AX attendees should be using the LACC parking, however, that's unable to be enforced unless the SPJA, RIGHT NOW, mails us all some kind of parking pass. The problem is that the LACC just couldn't hold that many cars, so we're going to have problems there either way.

Actually, anyone who normally drives all four days may be forced to park a good distance away and take the subway/L-trains.
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
ShinjiEva01

Hmm the AX site seems to be down completely. It could just be maintenance though
ShinjiEva01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Well, there is a similar access/shuttle road outside the South Hall, so the shuttles do have an option to work with, but I still don't see an access way for foot traffic unless we want to go blocks out of our way or skirt the X-Games and mingle with that crowd.
Hopefully, the car race doesn't block off the South Hall access/shuttle road as well.

But yes, with the setup from last year's X-Games, there doesn't seem to be an easy access way for foot traffic to both the West Hall & South Hall front entrances.

Quote:
The vendors, if they have the money/time, may be better served by getting their wares in on the 27th, since the X-Games starts on the 28th, and focusing on setup the day after.

If they do this way, this would mean that the vendors won't be able to restock any merchandise that they would sell out during the convention. They will be limited with whatever merchandise that the vendors can get in on the 27th. (Because once the X-Games starts, access to the convention center may be be difficult or a real chore for them.)

Quote:
Either way, ideally, only AX attendees should be using the LACC parking, however, that's unable to be enforced unless the SPJA, RIGHT NOW, mails us all some kind of parking pass. The problem is that the LACC just couldn't hold that many cars, so we're going to have problems there either way.
Unfortunately, a special parking pass for AX attendees is probably not likely to happen. This would mean that the over 141,000 people from the X-Games would be hogging all the convention parking spots, and the AX attendees would be left with whatever parking space they can get. (If they can find any parking spaces left at all.)

This is the huge number of people from the X-Games that will be taking the parking spots away from the AX attendees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeMwv...eature=related

Quote:
Hmm the AX site seems to be down completely. It could just be maintenance though

That was actually discussed about in the other thread:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=282488&page=13

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
BizarreSerenity
Chris Hanson Victim Girl

I really don't like the idea of the X-games being on at the same time.
Last year i stayed at the Kyoto Hotel with a group of friends and my boyfriend. As we walked to and fro from places around the hotel and con, we were ridiculed enough. I can only imagine what the X-Games crowd is going to be like, even without the booze.
Also, someone should REALLY make a nice big thread about the Fig. A big, noticeable one that might stop poor con goers from experiencing the worst hotel experience ever.
Kirin Girl: Monster Hunter
Terra: Teen Titans
BizarreSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarreSerenity View Post
I really don't like the idea of the X-games being on at the same time.
Last year i stayed at the Kyoto Hotel with a group of friends and my boyfriend. As we walked to and fro from places around the hotel and con, we were ridiculed enough. I can only imagine what the X-Games crowd is going to be like, even without the booze.
Also, someone should REALLY make a nice big thread about the Fig. A big, noticeable one that might stop poor con goers from experiencing the worst hotel experience ever.

The point is that like I said;The x-games are a big rowdy event,filled with loud people and drunken fools.It seems as tho AX isn't saying anything about it tho,going as far as to leaving up to a blank only 2 months away from the convention itself.

Walking is pretty far from the Kyoto hotel all the way to the LACC,having to imagine how it's gonna be WITH more X-games attendes staying around,bring pepper spray and keep it close around going outside.Try getting to the convention early,try to decide what your doing early so you don't cross paths with X-game stuff like deciding to eat lunch after a 2 hour lunch,and WATCH OUT FOR CARS I WILL SAY IT AGAIN WATCH OUT,I REALLY AM SCARED SHITLESS OF SOMEONE GETTING HURT FROM ONE OF THOSE STUPID IDIOTS.

By the way,is the Kyoto hotel nice??
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote