Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 120 votes, 4.75 average.
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #1531
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin77 View Post
I think Kaya and Moonstream are performing together, If I am not mistaken.
Ah. Thanks.

Still, I hope there's still a music act out there that they haven't announced yet. Even if I don't like the direction of AX, I still expect them to get something incredible or on the crux of incredible, like LiSa last year. I hadn't heard of her and I'm not an idol fan, but after AX '12, she was attached to Sword Art Online and at least I had a post-mortem desire to see the concert. These three acts, they're a curiosity, but I'd rather hang out with other fans during these shows.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #1532
El_Duque
miyoshi82

I'm not into Visual Kei stuff at all. I'm sure they're saving whatever their best musical GoH for last. So far, the GoH list looks worse than last year.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #1533
shellysunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
Aren't they running out of concert space on a calendar? They won't want to do one Thursday to make sure they maximize exposure for those that can't get that day off, and now there's 3 artists with concerts, if my assumptions are correct (Starmarie, Kaya, Moon Stream). That would leave space for 1 more concert and main events, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin77 View Post
I think Kaya and Moonstream are performing together, If I am not mistaken. Oh and don't forget Johnny Young Bosch and Eyeshine!
I think Kaya and Moonstream are performing together too.
My understanding was Starmarie will be during the fashion show.
So I think we'll have at least 2 more concerts spots, I hope...
shellysunfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #1534
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I think it was mentioned when Johnny Yong Bosch was announced that Eyseshine would be doing a free show which would lead me to believe that they might perform during the Battle of The Bands competition (like they did during the same competition in 2010 I believe). I still think there are more concert announcements to be made, but we'll see.
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #1535
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

I'm not a fan of Bosch. I was until I met him and he was pretty rude, so I have backed off my fandom there.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #1536
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
I'm not into Visual Kei stuff at all. I'm sure they're saving whatever their best musical GoH for last. So far, the GoH list looks worse than last year.
Were you expecting it to be better? IMO they have lost too much... this is probably the 'new normal'.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #1537
Suuki
Sakura Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
I'm not a fan of Bosch. I was until I met him and he was pretty rude, so I have backed off my fandom there.
Same.. xD
I met him two years ago. It wasn't that he was rude, more like not very open.. Like he was uncomfortable or something. It was a small gathering. With about 20 people. We got to ask him questions, get pictures and autographs and stuff.. For about 2 hours.
So I am not a fan.. I just didn't feel a personal connection to him. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. I am just hoping he wasn't feeling well that day.

However, at the event this year, Yuri Lowenthal was the guest. (voice of Sasuke)
I personally think he is SO much cooler. Way more open.. c: He loved our questions. He even did a confession to Naruto for me. xD And all the fangirls squealed when I asked him to do it, and we all got it recorded.
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #1538
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Were you expecting it to be better? IMO they have lost too much... this is probably the 'new normal'.
When you are considered (to some people) to be in the same league as Otakon, Sakura Con, and Japan Expo in terms of reputation of course you are expecting better.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #1539
Alexa720
Missing No.

-pops head in-
Ive been following this thread for awhile and finally got the nerve to post in it. AX isnt really impressing me with guests this year, Im still hoping for a big name announcement though I doubt there will be one.
Also speaking of Japan Expo I was wondering if anyone here saw the rule for it where only Premium badge holders (only 200 people) will be able to go in-and-out of the convention freely and was wondering about the thoughts on this?
http://www.japan-expo.org/art-1326-e...formation.html

Next Con Attending:
Anime Expo

Upcoming Cosplays:
Jubileena Bing-Bing from Wreck-It Ralph
Hysterical Dame from Problem Sleuth
CA Cupid from Monster High
Dawn of the Dance Lagoona Blue from Monster High (assuming I figure out how to do the wig)
Catbug Gijinka from Bravest Warriors
Book!Toothiana from The Guardians Of Childhood
Fem!Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians
Alexa720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #1540
Access

Quote:
When you are considered (to some people) to be in the same league as Otakon, Sakura Con, and Japan Expo in terms of reputation of course you are expecting better.
Reputation should precede, not define; a lot of people I know are not expecting much better. And honestly what we expect has little bearing on whether they can produce or not. In the end they either can or they cannot. That giant may have already died, perhaps we just don't know it yet. This might be the new standard we have to get used to, that we have to learn to live with, or just move on and forget about it.

This isn't all too unusual when you have something truly big, great, fearsome, etc. First it changes, but people don't realize it. They insist it's just as big as before, just as great as before, just like it always was and has been. And then eventually that moment comes when it becomes so glaringly obvious things are no longer what they once were; only then do people realize that the change happened not at that moment, but long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa720 View Post
Also speaking of Japan Expo I was wondering if anyone here saw the rule for it where only Premium badge holders (only 200 people) will be able to go in-and-out of the convention freely and was wondering about the thoughts on this?
Not to get to sidetracked here, but here we go.

Yeah I just read about that on facebook earlier today. Word spreads pretty quickly.

I go to a number of events that are done in this way, such as the local city fair or a large ren faire that is also nearby. You buy a ticket online, print it out or send it to your phone, and as you enter the unique barcode on the ticket is scanned; and that barcode can only be used once (it's unique). Most of these events don't have badges at all, so that logistic is eliminated and administering it is far easier.

The thing is most of these events do have a hand stamp on the way out. If I want to leave, and come back, it's no big deal. In fact they want you to come back in because most of the money isn't made by the entry fee, it's made by all the things you can do around the fair. I can understand wanting to eliminate the badge logistic, I mean look at how Comic-Kaze was run (in the end, it was fine). But all the events that do that, they have some alternative way of permitting re-entry, a hand stamp, a wristband, or something like that.

I can understand them saying, well if you want re-entry, you have to buy a premium badge. If this is made obvious, most people will simply just buy a premium badge. $100. is expensive, but it's not horribly expensive.

But I _cannot_ understand why they would then limit the premium badges to 200 sold. (http://www.japan-expo.org/art-1326-e...formation.html) If they want to limit it to the point where only the first 200 premium badges have the special coupons or other benefits, I could understand that. But if they want to have only 200 people who are allowed re-entry privileges to the convention itself, then it seems like it will be a pretty sparse convention hall with everyone hanging around the outskirts rather than going inside.

I'm sure we'll hear more about this in the coming weeks and months, shrug.

Last edited by Access : 05-20-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #1541
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa720 View Post
-pops head in-
Ive been following this thread for awhile and finally got the nerve to post in it. AX isnt really impressing me with guests this year, Im still hoping for a big name announcement though I doubt there will be one.
They'll give you a bracelet for return entry if you have a general admission.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #1542
Alexa720
Missing No.

Quote:
They'll give you a bracelet for return entry if you have a general admission.
That's only for the Premium though from what I read? Unless I'm just missing something here?
If it really is one entry=one exit I don't think I'm going to go now. There's a bunch of negative feedback on it on their Facebook page so hopefully they'll think about changing it if it's true. I was really looking forward to going to it but I guess I'll be sticking to AX now.

Next Con Attending:
Anime Expo

Upcoming Cosplays:
Dawn of the Dance Lagoona Blue from Monster High (assuming I figure out how to do the wig)
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #1543
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
That's only for the Premium though from what I read? Unless I'm just missing something here?
If it really is one entry=one exit I don't think I'm going to go now. There's a bunch of negative feedback on it on their Facebook page so hopefully they'll think about changing it if it's true. I was really looking forward to going to it but I guess I'll be sticking to AX now.
Some of their English is a bit "wonky", and some of their statements on their site doesn't seem like it was written by a native English speaker. (I'm not surprised to see this, as being that most of their organizers are from France.) I also think they also may have not a full grasp or understanding of how the American system works at conventions in America, and are following more of an European model. (Some cons outside the U.S. are run very differently.)

It's quite possible the way that they wrote it in English is also causing a huge misunderstanding & confusion.

I am hoping that they don't really mean buying a 3 day pass or a 1 day pass would only entitle you to come into the con for only one time for the whole day. Or that you have to buy another pass, if you want to come back in a second time for the con on the same day. (This would mean that you have to pay 4-5 passes each day, or you can't leave the con for the entire day, because you can't come back in without buying another pass. This would put a HUGE damper on attendees planning to cosplay.)

No other cons do this in America, so it's either could a BIG misunderstanding with the way they wrote their English or they don't understand how this system simply doesn't work in America. (If it isn't a misunderstanding, their con wouldn't last long, if they don't follow the American model.)

While this model has been used in Europe, Americans do not like paying again & again just to get back in the same con on the same day. What may work in Europe, may not necessarily work in America. (The old saying of "When in Rome, do as as the Romans do" rings very true in this case.)

This is what one of the Japan Expo staffers replied so far in response to the angry comments:
Quote:
just wanted to clarify this point! While this policy is not the standard at all European events, this is the policy at all four Japan Expo events, including Belgium. We are keeping this show as close to possible to the European model as there is nothing quite like Japan Expo in the US. Thank you so much for your feedback and please keep watching our website. There are big announcements coming and more details to follow.

I would wait a few more days or a few weeks for Japan Expo to really further clarify their position about the pass entry clearer in English. They may decide to backtrack, and use an American model, or clarify that it was all a misunderstanding. (If they insist that they do really mean to follow through with the European model, they are going to see their attendance drop dramatically, and fail massively as a con.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-20-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #1544
Alexa720
Missing No.

Ahh okay! Thanks for the clarification

Next Con Attending:
Anime Expo

Upcoming Cosplays:
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #1545
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
While this model has been used in Europe, Americans do not like paying again & again just to get back in the same con on the same day. What may work in Europe, may not necessarily
They are much larger in Europe also (200,000+ people by the last count).

I don't know if it's a cultural difference as much as just, when you get really big, it stops being an issue (you have booths that sell food, and one can spend a whole day at the convention and not even see the whole thing).