Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 137 votes, 4.78 average.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #1546
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
They are much larger in Europe also (200,000+ people by the last count).

I don't know if it's a cultural difference as much as just, when you get really big, it stops being an issue (you have booths that sell food, and one can spend a whole day at the convention and not even see the whole thing).

The funny part is that some people have mentioned that they don't use that one entry-one exit system either at their biggest event in France with 200,000 attendees. (Which is even bigger than the San Diego Comic Con.) They do however, use that system in Belgium, and on some of their other European events.

That system may work in Belgium, but not when you are just starting out....in America.

For the likes of me, I don't why they don't modify the ticketing system to the American standard. It could be a cultural misunderstanding, or they don't simply understand how cons works in America.

Update: Here's the latest posting from the Japan Expo Facebook site regarding the ticket policy.

Quote:

Update: We've heard your feedback and have relayed the messages directly to the convention organizers. We'll let you know their response ASAP

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-20-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #1547
El_Duque
miyoshi82

You would think they did some research on how cons are operated in North America.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con - Done and tired
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #1548
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Damn straight..
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #1549
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Apparently, some of the staffers at the Anime Expo Facebook are already taking low blow potshots & jabs at Japan Expo.

It's pretty obvious that they are reading the thread here, otherwise they wouldn't have responded so fast within a single day.

Here's one of the excerpts from their postings:

https://www.facebook.com/animeexpo/p...51679945276461

Quote:
Buy a badge to Anime Expo 2013, unlimited in and out privileges to the event. Hungry at AX and leave to go to Little Tokyo, or dropping off something at your car / hotel? No worries, you don't have to buy another badge to enter the convention again

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-21-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #1550
Hetalia-Chan
Not Iceland, ice cream!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Apparently, some of the staffers at the Anime Expo Facebook are already taking low blow potshots & jabs at Japan Expo.

It's pretty obvious that they are reading the thread here, otherwise they wouldn't have responded so fast within a single day.

Pffft, they deleted the post.
Hetalia-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #1551
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Pffft, they deleted the post.
Wow...that was really quick. It was only up for a few hours.

I thought it was interesting that, they got quite a few angry responses from the fans.

One of the AX staffers also got very sarcastic & was talking down to the attendees in some of their responses.

I wonder what gave them the idea that it would be funny to take a potshot & a low jab at another con?

I guess...I shouldn't be surprised with this.
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #1552
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post

Actually you really can't miss this one on facebook, it's been all over b'cos people have been quoting and tagging it. If someone like me (who doesn't use facebook anywhere near as much as most of its users do) can see it, I'm sure most of the local community has already seen or heard of it. Unless I just got lucky.

Yeah that seems like the type of thing they'd do, but the thing is, Japan Expo will probably turn around in a few days. Or if they don't, a lot of us will have a good laugh and then promptly forget about Japan Expo. Either way it's resolved in a few days. When AX has done things like this (like charging for shuttles, or scheduling AX during the same time as the X games) these things took weeks to undo or even get people to acknowledge it.

Note: For the record I think it took them 8 hours to identify the problem and roughly 24 hours to change it if you check here:

http://www.japan-expo.org/art-1128-e...formation.html

Well kinda, at least now all pre-sale tickets now give you a bracelet that allow you to return.
But I don't believe that on-site does.

Last edited by Access : 05-21-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #1553
El_Duque
miyoshi82

And Japan Expo just officially announced it on their FB page. Case closed.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #1554
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Note: For the record I think it took them 8 hours to identify the problem and roughly 24 hours to change it if you check here:

http://www.japan-expo.org/art-1128-e...formation.html

Well kinda, at least now all pre-sale tickets now give you a bracelet that allow you to return.
But I don't believe that on-site does.

In response, the Japan Expo tickets are now set to the American standard of "one ticket-all day entry".

Here is their updated response:

Quote:
Japan Expo USA
Hey everyone--After a sound beating with baguettes, management has dropped the one in/one out policy!

This policy was based on our French model, but we recognize the value of adapting to our market and being responsive to fan desires and needs

We really appreciate the time that everyone took to respond. We hope to see you all in a few short months, and dont forget registration opens shortly!
http://www.japan-expo.org/art-1326-e...formation.html

https://www.facebook.com/JapanExpoUS...ocation=stream

Wow. I have to say that responding within 24 hours is pretty damn fast.

Remember last year, how many months that it took for AX to even admit on their website, that there was a even an X-Games going on at the same time with AX? (Hcorgamer00 was the only AX staffer who was trying hard to work things out with us. Noone else would respond.) Remember how chaotic it was for the cosplay gatherings when noone else would help or respond?

Which is why, I thought it was the ultimate irony, that some of the AX staffers would take lowblow potshots & jabs at Japan Expo on their Facebook page. I also thought it was interesting that they would take down their posts on the AX FB page within a few hours. (A simple apology would have done wonders.)

By the way...I would rather get "a sound beating with baguettes" by the French than to listen to El Presidente's "bad jokes" at a AX panel & watch his terrible...I mean magnificent parking skills in action outside of a parking lot. (Besides, French baguettes and their pastries taste really, really "dlicieux".)

Oh yeah...before I forget, Mr. "El Presidente", the next time when you are parking outside of a parking lot, don't forget these words..."Allez tout droit! Puis prennez gauche/ droite!" (That's French for "Go straight! then turn left/ right!".)

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-21-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #1555
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Hah, nothing AX does surprises me anymore and the person who put that post up in the first place probably won't get reprimanded or anything because it was likely one of El Presidente's lackeys. I have to admit that AX lost a little respect for that ill fated post because they of all people have no room to take shots at other conventions when they have had so many well publicized issues in the past few years.

Kudos to Japan Expo for actually listening to the fans and changing their model, if only there were people in AX that had the same level of attention to the fans :/
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #1556
El_Duque
miyoshi82

AX announces Director for Gundam Unicorn as Guest of Honor.

I wish they would also debut episode 7 too.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #1557
XStylus
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
Hah, nothing AX does surprises me anymore and the person who put that post up in the first place probably won't get reprimanded or anything because it was likely one of El Presidente's lackeys.
Perhaps this will surprise you. Marc posted this on the private AX staff facebook page: (Screenshot)

Dunno what became of the person who made the post in question, but I know of a few cases where staffers were harshly reprimanded (and in one manager's case, dismissed) for circumstances not too dissimilar. It's not tolerated, nor should it be, and the community is right to call AX out when it happens.

Last edited by XStylus : 05-21-2013 at 11:35 PM.
XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #1558
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStylus View Post
Perhaps this will surprise you. Marc posted this on the private AX staff facebook page: (Screenshot)
Quote:
Marc posted
Quote:
Marc
Quote:
Posted
Let that sink in...

HE ACTUALLY DECIDED TO POP UP AND TALK WOW OK...
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #1559
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStylus View Post

Dunno what became of the person who made the post in question, but I know of a few cases where staffers were harshly reprimanded (and in one manager's case, dismissed) for circumstances not too dissimilar. It's not tolerated, nor should it be, and the community is right to call AX out when it happens.
Why would it surprise anyone, this is strategy #11 seen below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36_Stra...the_peach_tree

Quote:
Sacrifice the plum tree to preserve the peach tree

(李代桃僵, Lǐ di to jiāng)
There are circumstances in which you must sacrifice short-term objectives in order to gain the long-term goal. This is the scapegoat strategy whereby someone else suffers the consequences so that the rest do not.
Cao Cao of the Three Kingdoms Period demonstrated this strategy. During a siege, Cao's supplies ran low so he called in the supply captain and told him to dilute the rice with water to save grains. When the soldiers started to complain, Cao ordered for the captain to be killed. He would explain to his troops that the captain had been selling supplies to the enemy. This raised the army's morale and they were victorious in a few more days.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #1560
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Latest GoH announcement for AX:

http://www.anime-expo.org/2013/05/we...r-for-ax-2013/

Not familiar with her work, but eh...
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote