Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #1576
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Interesting resume and his crowd sourced anime sounds interesting, but he gets bonus points for being involved with Samurai Champloo even if it's minor involvement...overall though, mostly meh. May check his panel out if nothing else is going on

Waiting for the rest of the announcements as well as who the other musical guest(s) might be

FB: The Casual Otaku

Upcoming Cons/Events

Anime California
AkibaFest
PMX
Anime Los Angeles
Anime Expo 2017
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #1577
DrScorpio
Lucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy135 View Post
If they're really taking that long and they approve/deny everyone that has applied up to this point after June 1st, they should leave the pre-June 1st price up for like a week for those who got denied.
My friend's press registration was approved and received email confirmation in early May. He had to send in his credentials this year unlike previous years. Approval took like 2-3 weeks after the credentials were sent.
DrScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #1578
heeroyuy135
Cali Con Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScorpio View Post
My friend's press registration was approved and received email confirmation in early May. He had to send in his credentials this year unlike previous years. Approval took like 2-3 weeks after the credentials were sent.
So how does one do that? I thought everything was set when I submitted my articles through the application.
heeroyuy135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #1579
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

The guest this year...so far none intrest me :/
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #1580
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
Yeah... I'm feeling quite similar. As of right now, this guest list looks like a make your own fun con for me this time around. Bleh.

deviantArt account

Last edited by Celcia : 05-29-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #1581
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celcia View Post
Yeah... I'm feeling quite similar. As of right now, this guest list looks like a make your own fun con for me this time around. Bleh.
Agreed. For 'North Americas largest anime convention', they're bringing low rates guest as someone who would either be added as a mini-guest instead of guest of honor, or if they were really desperate.
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #1582
Sweet-Ice
♡Mmmm...shaved ice&

Quote:
Same.

Quote:
Agreed. For 'North Americas largest anime convention', they're bringing low rates guest as someone who would either be added as a mini-guest instead of guest of honor, or if they were really desperate.
I wouldn't be surprise if another con took that title away from AX.
Sweet-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #1583
Access

This is the new AX, we really don't have much of a choice except to either live with it or abandon it.

Fortunately for those local to the area there are tons of conventions throughout the year, and for those who come to AX from around the nation, or world, there are also lots of other good conventions one can attend if the new AX is not up to standard.

I wish things were different but it's basically one month away now. Unless they have some miracle announcements to save an otherwise lackluster guest list, I don't think anyone's going to go 'for the guests'.

In future years who can say whether it will continue to be the largest convention or not, I don't know if anyone really knows how important (or unimportant) a strong guest of honor list is to overall numbers.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #1584
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Sadly, I think it's a sign of the times and it speaks to the damage both financially and PR wise done to AX in recent years. While the debt has been paid off, AX as a whole isn't in as good a financial position as cons like Sakura Con, ACen, Otakon, etc. can afford to bring a bunch of A-list guests over as opposed to one or two like AX has been managing. It may be naive of me at this point, but I'm still hoping for at least one blockbuster guest...the guest list so far to me while nothing spectacular shows some promise to me if only because I'm curious about some of the guests

FB: The Casual Otaku

Upcoming Cons/Events

Anime California
AkibaFest
PMX
Anime Los Angeles
Anime Expo 2017
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #1585
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetalia-Chan View Post
Same.

I wouldn't be surprise if another con took that title away from AX.
My friend said Fanime was HECTIC this year. Best one yet.
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #1586
DrScorpio
Lucha

Quote:
My friend said Fanime was HECTIC this year. Best one yet.
I was at Fanime, easily one of the WORST yet. Why else would Fanime lock threads with negative feedback on their forums and try to get everyone to make complaints using a google form so no one can see the complaints?

Just take a look at the comments on the facebook page to see how it went.
DrScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #1587
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScorpio View Post
I was at Fanime, easily one of the WORST yet. Why else would Fanime lock threads with negative feedback on their forums and try to get everyone to make complaints using a google form so no one can see the complaints?

Just take a look at the comments on the facebook page to see how it went.
She said the rave was good. However; The actual convention floor was a mess and the ticketing was worse then AX.

I haven't seen much, but what I have has been fairly positive feedback. Was it really that bad man eAe? Maybe them locking the forums was why I never really heard much from it..
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #1588
Access

Quote:
She said the rave was good. However; The actual convention floor was a mess and the ticketing was worse then AX.
AX hired that professional group to handle registration in the last few years. Since they did that, the lines have always seemed to go very quickly (half an hour to an hour) for me.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #1589
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I haven't seen much, but what I have has been fairly positive feedback. Was it really that bad man eAe? Maybe them locking the forums was why I never really heard much from it..
The famous "Linus Lam" made a con report about the 2013 Fanime convention, and it was not flattering. He usually doesn't give out a negative report on a con, but when he does, it means that it was really, really, bad. (He has been making con reports from all over the country for more than a decade now.)

The most disturbing part was that, some people were waiting up in line to register for more than 8 hours, and several people had fainted while waiting in line, and the paramedics had to come in.

The other disturbing part was that, Fannime tried to censor their forums, and tried to pretend that the various problems that they had, didn't exist. (Sounds like they were taking a lesson from Micheal Lattanzio.)

You can read his report here:

http://www.usagichan2.com/Fanime2013/

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-30-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #1590
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
The famous "Linus Lam" made a con report about the 2013 Fanime convention, and it was not flattering. He usually doesn't give out a negative report on a con, but when he does, it means that it was really, really, bad. (He has been making con reports from all over the country for more than a decade now.)

The most disturbing part was that, some people were waiting up in line to register for more than 8 hours, and several people had fainted while waiting in line, and the paramedics had to come in.

The other disturbing part was that, Fannime tried to censor their forums, and tried to pretend that the various problems that they had, didn't exist. (Sounds like they were taking a lesson from Micheal Lattanzio.)

You can read his report here:

http://www.usagichan2.com/Fanime2013/
I heard something like that. She said they waited only 6 however, while others waited aost more then 9 hours. And by then it was already 1 AM. I think the most we've ever needed to wait for tickets was..little then an hour? Have they reopened those forums?