Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.80 average.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #151
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
The other question I have for Factor/Jason is; Do you happen to know if any progress at all has been made for people at the J.W. Marriott and the Luxe to walk to the Convention Center? The most direct routes seem likely to be inaccessible.

And if there's been no progress, is the SPJA taking the matter with any seriousness or are they blowing it off?

Jason probably can't answer much about our concerns, because as he has indicated in his blog, the SPJA lawyers are trying to shut him up.

Kris has previously tried his best to address our concerns here at Cosplay.com, (He's one of the best things about the SPJA) but he was also severely reprimanded by the SPJA for speaking up in here.

Keep in mind that there are certain top individuals in the SPJA, who despises & has no love for the Cosplay.com forum, because the information can't be controlled like in the AX forums.

And speaking of controlling information...

Yesterday, I talked to a group of vendors that's going to AX this year, and they were quite stunned, that there was even going to be an X-Games at the same time as AX. Needless to say, they were really hopping mad that the information was withheld from them.

One vendor told me that AX never sent them a single letter about the X-Games, and warned them about the potential traffic jam. Another was less cordial, and bluntly said "As long as they take our money, they don't give a f**** about what happens to us".

I won't be surprised at all, if some AX attendees & vendors aren't going to find out about the X-Games, until the opening day of AX. (Their language will probably be very unprintable, when they find out on that day.)

Quote:
I'm not about to read this whole thread even if it does interest me (which it does, don't get me wrong) but I'd just like to know if there's any information about the Masquerade and such. I'd really like to participate this year and I haven't seen any dates for registration, etc yet. From what I understand (tried to do a little digging), registration for Masquerade began April 15 last year?
I've sent two emails (one at the beginning of March and one a week or so ago) and haven't received a response. Even a "I'm sorry, we don't have any information on this yet" would be sufficient.
Well, I don't think that the Masquerade registration has ever been this late for the last 5 years.

Part of the reasons may be, because they are still looking for a proper place to secure it inside the convention center, since AX lost the Nokia Theatre to the X-Games.

Another reason is that they may be understaffed right now, and don't have enough people to run & judge the show.

It's likely that they will have a Masquerade, but at the same time, be prepared for it, if they completely cut out the Masquerade program, due to severe budget cuts from AX losing $1.2 million in 2010.

(This is why it's important to read this thread, so you will know what's going on. I'm not saying to read it all once, but just read a few pages here & there until you catch up.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-25-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #152
Nemuren
Great King of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I won't be surprised at all, if some AX attendees & vendors aren't going to find out about the X-Games, until the opening day of AX.
This is the sinking feeling I've had for a while. If anything, it could be in AX's best interests NOT to address the X-Games for as long as they can help it lest many more fans and vendors have second thoughts about attending.

Last edited by Nemuren : 04-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Nemuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #153
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
It's likely that they will have a Masquerade, but at the same time, be prepared for it, if they completely cut out the Masquerade program, due to severe budget cuts from AX losing $1.2 million in 2010.
If the masquerade is cut, maybe we can do our own fan-sponsored masquerade in one of the large outdoor areas with a makeshift stage and the audience standing on the stairs or something like that (ie. the area between west and south hall north of W. Pico Blvd.)

It's basically only two months away now...

"Keep in mind that there are certain top individuals in the SPJA, who despises & has no love for the Cosplay.com forum, because the information can't be controlled like in the AX forums."
If this is true I wonder if Squall is ever going to hear back from his AX contact about what areas are okay for gatherings... since the gatherings and gathering list is one of the main reasons people go to this forum (see post #2). We might just have to figure out these places for ourselves.

Last edited by Access : 04-25-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #154
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
If this is true I wonder if Squall is ever going to hear back from his AX contact about what areas are okay for gatherings... since the gatherings and gathering list is one of the main reasons people go to this forum (see post #2). We might just have to figure out these places for ourselves.
I would say that it's likely that there's going to be 6 different potential scenarios in regards to the locations of the cosplay gatherings:

1. AX notifies Squall within a few weeks or a month, with a layout map of where the X-Games will blocking off the area around the convention center.

2. AX says nothing all the way until opening day.

3. An AX attendee obtains a map layout from ESPN, and gives Squall a layout map of where the places will be blocked off around the convention center. (ESPN will release their map layout for X-Games 2012, before their event starts.)

4. Cosplay gatherings are all going to be to moved to the inside of the convention center. (The convention center may not like this idea, and may cite fire hazard rules.)

5. The cosplay gatherings are all moved & held in the back of the convention center where the loading garage zones are located. (I'm not sure if the convention center will like this idea.)

6. All cosplay gatherings are canceled. (This is the absolute worst case scenario, and I do not want to even think that this will happen.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-25-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #155
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Yikes, it seems like AX keeps giving itself another black eye. Why they wouldn't even bother to tell vendors about the X Games when they will be affected perhaps far worse than attendees due to access areas to load their booths into exhibit hall potentially blocked off...

I can't imagine cosplay gatherings being cancelled altogther; gatherings are one of the cornerstones of any con. Best case scenario the X Games doesn't block off Figueroa in front of the LACC for their rally car course and that area is still good to go for gatherings in addition to the outside corridor between West and South Halls over Pico. Since we seem to not be getting any answers about layouts and such I guess time will only tell...if AX doesn't mention anything once X Games releases their layout then I think a lot of us will be rather unhappy
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #156
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post

I can't imagine cosplay gatherings being cancelled altogther
No
No
No
NONONONONONONONONON

Dont say that!Im frightened now
I'm scared now....THANKS XD
Anastasia-First outfit- 0%
Secret cosplay! - 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #157
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
No
No
No
NONONONONONONONONON

Dont say that!Im frightened now
I'm scared now....THANKS XD
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

j/k

Open up Kentia Hall for cosplay gatherings.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #158
slimchance
Monkey D. Luffy

I wonder how many of these streets will get closed off cause of the XGame? traffic will be crazy. I concern about parking and traffic getting to LACC.

Georgia
Chick Hearn
West Road
Figueroa
11th St.
12th St.
Flower
Pico
Flower
L.A. Live Way
Cherry
Olympic
slimchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #159
ShinjiEva01

That's alot of streets
ShinjiEva01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #160
Morrissey
Insanely Popular

Sad to see you go Jason. We've had our differences in the past few years but I did enjoy working with you during our time at AX. You deserve better. We all did. Especially the attendees. With you and Underwood gone, the phrase "And then there were none" comes to mind.
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #161
Rikku92
SecondStarCosplay

It's really hard to see AX going through this all, I've been going since 09 and its always had a special place with me. Jason, I give my condolences as well about your friend, and I hope things get easier. I'm really sorry all this is happening at once.

All I can see us doing though, is playing the waiting game for now. Were not going to get any behind the scene info until X-games either release their map, and we can plan around it, or AX speaks up.

Follow me on Facebook! SecondStarCosplay
Rikku92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #162
ShinjiEva01

Yeah looks like there are several streets that are going to be closed off
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #163
NocturnalEffect

I've been reading this thread in the past few days. I know things aren't looking minty. Its been said and beaten like a dead horse, but we will just have to make the best of things. In all honesty, I registered just so I can do this:

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3oz8w4/

Hope it lightens the mood. If not, for just a bit.
NocturnalEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #164
ShinjiEva01

nevermind
alright thanks though i didnt mean to

Last edited by ShinjiEva01 : 04-26-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #165
slimchance
Monkey D. Luffy

I wonder if AX has any plans for Shuttle service. Cosplay gathering will be tough because a lot of streets in LA will be blocked off for the X Games. I remember 2010 when the LACC staff kept saying Fire Hazard everytime somebody sat next the wall. This might be happen at again this year.
slimchance is offline   Reply With Quote