Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #166
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelouchYamazaki View Post
anyone watch it, was over at an ubisoft thing tonight and i figure it would be a bit boring?

Figueroa, Olympic and Pico will be closed June 28th til July 1st and I hear there might be more to confine X games into one large LA Live area.

http://trafficinfo.lacity.org/tat/special_events.html
Wow, that's going to be a nightmare. Looks like Rally Car will be in front of West Hall again like it was last year. Judging by those street closures, it sounds like the layout for this year's competition won't change much from last year.

Though for what it's worth...only until 7 PM each day? I guess that's good? Though the damage will be done for sure...now to figure out how to get around that mess for my ride to AX

FB: The Casual Otaku

Anime Expo 2016 cosplay plans (subject to change)

Day 0: Casual maid Maki Nishikino (Love Live)
Day 1: Mikuru Asahina/Yuki Nagato(?) (TMoHS - summer uniform)
Day 2: You Watanabe (Love Live Sunshine - school uniform)
Day 3: Ami Mizuno (Sailor Moon - winter uniform)
Day 4: Mikuru Ashina or Haruhi Suzumiya (winter uniform)
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #167
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
For AX live my guess it will just end up being the two girls who hosted last week, and give some BS reason Jason is gone lol. We should all trolll!!
Quote:
No, you're right. It is just the two girls again. The "meet the hosts" page already has both of them listed as them. :/

It's not very likely that the AX forums or even the "AX Live" show will really talk about Jason's recent termination from "AX Live" show. (The audience will most likely be kept in the dark about it.) When Lattanzio left the SPJA, the threads that had people asking about what had happened, were quickly locked at the AX forums. (Many people over there didn't know that he had even left.)

The AX website also still doesn't even mention the X-Games being on at the same time as AX.

Quote:
Wow, that's going to be a nightmare. Looks like Rally Car will be in front of West Hall again like it was last year. Judging by those street closures, it sounds like the layout for this year's competition won't change much from last year.
Yes, it does look like a nightmare.

The schedule from that link is listed as the 2012 schedule for the streets that will be closed off for the X-Games.

1. ESPN X Games 2012

6-28-2012

7:00 AM-7:00 PM

Fig/Olympic/Pico

2. ESPN X Games 2012

6-29-2012

Fig/Olympic/Pico

3. ESPN X Games 2012

6-30-2012

Fig/Olympic/Pico

4. ESPN X Games 2012

7-1-2012

Fig/Olympic/Pico

Quote:
Quote:

Though for what it's worth...only until 7 PM each day? I guess that's good? Though the damage will be done for sure...now to figure out how to get around that mess for my ride to AX
7 PM may just mean that the event is completed. It may not mean that the barriers will be lifted. At last year's X-Games, the road barriers for the rally car race were left overnight.

You can see in this YouTube video of how the road barriers were set up at the X-Games last year for the X-Games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLDzeXJHDA8

Note: If you pause the video at 0:47, you can clearly see that it's located near the front of the West Hall entrance, and that whole area was used for the AX hotel shuttles for the drop off/pick up point last year. (You can clearly see in the video that the bus stop that's going to Pico has been blocked off as well. That bus stop is located right across from the South Hall entrance.)

With over 141,000 people coming in for the X-Games, here's another look as what the crowds will be like at the LA Live area. This video was taken last year at the X-Games 17.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94NjJgxwEys&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxvRt...eature=related

(Watch the size of the concert crowds at 0:17.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeMwv...eature=related

This would also mean all the cosplay gatherings, and the hotel shuttles area will all have to be reshuffled. This will also impact the front entrance of the West Hall. (7 AM-7 PM is practically the whole day schedule for AX.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-28-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #168
El_Duque
miyoshi82

I wish Factor/Jason would have at least stated if SPJA is in works with ESPN on a resolution.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #169
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I wish Factor/Jason would have at least stated if SPJA is in works with ESPN on a resolution.
Jason/Factor was probably not allowed to say it.

One of the SPJA Board members, Kris himself tried to say something here, but he was reprimanded by the SPJA for saying something in this forum.
Unread 04-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #170
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Jason/Factor was probably not allowed to say it.

One of the SPJA Board members, Kris himself tried to say something here, but he was reprimanded by the SPJA for saying something in this forum.
I was the one who asked Kris, but he's still on the Board. I only brought up Jason is because he is not associated with AX/SPJA anymore and could provide a bit more insight like the post he did. The only answer I'm looking for is either yes or no, simple as that.
Unread 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #171
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I was the one who asked Kris, but he's still on the Board. I only brought up Jason is because he is not associated with AX/SPJA anymore and could provide a bit more insight like the post he did. The only answer I'm looking for is either yes or no, simple as that.

Kris is one of the few really good things that's good about the SPJA. If he was in charge, instead of the current powers that be, I think AX would make a complete turnaround because he really does care about the fans. If he was in charge, he would have addressed our concerns here a long time ago, and he would have made sure that we fans would be O.K.

Jason has said that there are lot of things that he can't say, even after he left the SPJA, due to the SPJA lawyers.

Whether Jason can say, "Yes" or "No", or remain silent will be up to him. (He has to be careful on what he's allowed to comment here, due to the SPJA lawyers.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-28-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #172
Nigerianbucket

Is there the possibility that AX will take advantage of the rooms in the JW for holding things like panels and the like. They did in 2010 for the Funimation industry panel and midnight madness (and I'm assuming it was used in prior years) but didn't use them at all last year. This year seems like it would be a good idea for them to nab them if the X games plans on taking everything else from AX.

They could use the rooms to also hold the AX dance since Club Nokia is possibly gone. I am not entirely sure on Club Nokia though because the X games map from last year stops showing the highlighted used area just before the entrance to Club Nokia. I am having high hopes though because the dance has been one of my favorite things to attend at night when I don't have anything on my schedule to go do.
-Haku (Naruto)
Nigerianbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #173
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigerianbucket View Post
Is there the possibility that AX will take advantage of the rooms in the JW for holding things like panels and the like. They did in 2010 for the Funimation industry panel and midnight madness (and I'm assuming it was used in prior years) but didn't use them at all last year. This year seems like it would be a good idea for them to nab them if the X games plans on taking everything else from AX.

They could use the rooms to also hold the AX dance since Club Nokia is possibly gone. I am not entirely sure on Club Nokia though because the X games map from last year stops showing the highlighted used area just before the entrance to Club Nokia. I am having high hopes though because the dance has been one of my favorite things to attend at night when I don't have anything on my schedule to go do.
It's hard to say since AX's budget is going to be restricted either by debt or by agreement with IDG.

The J.W. may also not be the best choice with the X-Games in the way of normal foot traffic. If they go that route, the next best choice would be to either use the West Hall via entering through the South Hall and using the bridge annex, or the Bonaventure.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #174
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
It's hard to say since AX's budget is going to be restricted either by debt or by agreement with IDG.

The J.W. may also not be the best choice with the X-Games in the way of normal foot traffic. If they go that route, the next best choice would be to either use the West Hall via entering through the South Hall and using the bridge annex, or the Bonaventure.
I don't think Bonaventure is a good idea. I heard they got in trouble and had to close the dance early when it was there in 2009. All I remember was noise complaints and a few attendees decided to get drunk and ruin the fun. I doubt the staff of the Westin will want them back after that.
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #175
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
I don't think Bonaventure is a good idea. I heard they got in trouble and had to close the dance early when it was there in 2009. All I remember was noise complaints and a few attendees decided to get drunk and ruin the fun. I doubt the staff of the Westin will want them back after that.
I didn't know about that. I had another issue when someone accidentally flooded one of my rooms that year.

Long story.

Well, in that case, options are few. Even if Club Nokia was available, the plaza will be a mess with the X-Games likely to be sitting in it.

That pretty much leaves the LACC.
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #176
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
I didn't know about that. I had another issue when someone accidentally flooded one of my rooms that year.

Long story.

Well, in that case, options are few. Even if Club Nokia was available, the plaza will be a mess with the X-Games likely to be sitting in it.

Yeah, actually I was at the Westin when they had to close early. I was at the karaoke room and when I left the room, people were also leaving the dance room and it was only 10pm. I heard that the staff of the hotel forced the AX people to close it because people that were suppose to be at the dance started to flood the karaoke room.
Unread 04-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #177
Freight

Well, the planned street closures pretty much tells the story, and it's one we thought might happen.

With that in mind, if I set up some large scale group dinners, would people be willing to go? I know some places off 7th Street I can call, and there's a couple of others I can contact. Also, I'm not a Denny's person on these things. I try to find places that are fun to eat.

I also try to avoid large cosplay groups and main events.
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #178
Access

Quote:
Well, the planned street closures pretty much tells the story, and it's one we thought might happen.
Now that the AX forums are back up and seem relatively stable, has anyone tried inquiring about the cosplay gatherings, available outdoor areas, etc. there?
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #179
moonymonster

Quote:
Does anyone have any more information on what this is about? For me, this is a serious problem when we're 2 months away from a convention that, again, to me, is fighting to maintain its title as the biggest U.S. anime convention, and now they have no way to converge, arrange gatherings, and speak to each other unless they happen to come here. And if they're non-cosplayers, it's less likely they'll come here.

Sorry, but I think there needs to be a bit of information shared, and I was hoping that some people out there have more than I do.

I'm sorry I can't think of a solution, but I do agree with you. I didn't even know this site existed until a year ago (when a friend told me about it--I had even been cosplaying for a couple years before that). But I've been going to AX for almost ten years--and back then I just depended on the con running itself well so I could just show up. I'm sure there's a lot of people like that....if nothing else, perhaps someone can ask the AX website to link to this thread so that the non-cosplay people can get info? I know the 'me' of 2008 would be heartily confused by this website, especially because of how it's organized (forums for cons way at the bottom, finding the right con, stuff like that--I bet some people wouldn't even realize there WAS a con section). So, maybe just a link would be nice. We can help them from there.
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #180
moonymonster

Quote:

With that in mind, if I set up some large scale group dinners, would people be willing to go? I know some places off 7th Street I can call, and there's a couple of others I can contact. Also, I'm not a Denny's person on these things. I try to find places that are fun to eat.

I also try to avoid large cosplay groups and main events.
If you could let me know any places you find, please do. I tend to have groups of 7-16 out for dinner, and yes, Denny's does suck. I was thinking of hitting up Little Tokyo, since there's an all-you-can-eat place on the second floor in the plaza (off 1st), but I don't trust it 100% because I got food poisoning there once. It's sort of a last resort thing. If you know any safer options please let me know XDDD

Quote:

Long story.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what this means. I'm a little worried because we're trying to plan the Pokemon Gathering, and there's going to be 150-200 people there (there were at least 150 last year, and there will probably be more this year). We tend to go outside in front of the main entrance by the staircase next to the trees--I think you know the area I'm talking about--is that the plaza? If so, this might present a problem....200 Pokemon cosplayers + a ton of drunk X-game crazies...please let me know what you think so I can let the gathering leader know. This is a complication we didn't even consider.