Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 164 votes, 4.82 average.
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #1801
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Please excuse the stilted timing of the responses. I'm starting a new job and following E3 coverage for a website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc.Perez View Post
I went back and looked though my email and the earliest email I have regarding XGames is March. So off by about 2 months and I'm sorry, was doing it off of memory.

One of the reasons we held back was needing to know what their layout was going to be & largely what their security layout was going to be. Not a perfect situation, but we didn't want to release anything till we could answer most questions. The ball got dropped on this, and as big of an issue as it was, it could have been handled much better. I'm Sorry.
Still, after Lattanzio's departure, a lot of us kept talking here BECAUSE of the lack of information we were receiving from AX and it's partners. You would be astonished with the amount of positive preparation and discussion that occurred here. As a result, several of us ended up very well informed on probable walking routes that were only a small deviation from what was eventually announced.

Quote:
Your correct in a way, but also are missing a key bit of information. The city found out about this maybe 2 weeks before we did. The delay came from the company that works to produce the XGames, AEG. The city does not have access to AEG's schedule and it is not always shared until much closer to the event. They city controls rental of the LACC, however not Staples, Nokia, LA Live or Chick Hearn(the street between Staples & Nokia), that is controlled by AEG.

Just for FYI:
LA Inc - Now LA Tourism is the non-profit that promotes LA. They cover LACC, LAX and quite a few other government owned properties. Their board is made up of the large Hotels in the LA area.

AEG is privately held company that has a major ownership of several LA properties including but not limited to: Nokia Theater, Club Nokia, JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, LA Live, Staples, The Home Depot Center, Los Angeles Kings, LA Galaxy, Lakers.

So while we have the City's & AEG's promise to let us know before the talks even come up, we will work with them to either move the dates or move the event of either event. Also their will be some serious issues if it is attempted again. I don't think we will ever be able to release what those concessions or repercussions will be, but again they are severe.
That is true. However, with such information at your disposal, let's say in March as you said before, some kind of statement should have been released that AX or the SPJA was at least working on the situation. To leave it as a giant unknown threw an incredible monkey wrench into the planned fan gatherings and accessibility. Again, we on this board and thread found maps of previous X-Games plans and adjusted accordingly. The problem is that the same information wasn't being discussed on the AX boards. Every time we tried to bring it up, we were called negative or trying to bring problems were none existed. That wasn't the case, but perception trumps information, sometimes.

Quote:
Lastly to highlight the success of this partnership prior to XGames, if you remember the Michael Jackson funeral at Nokia theater from several years ago. They were planning to hold the service on the Sunday of AX. We protested heavily and went to the city. The city sided with us saying a shutdown of the streets with our event running was highly inadvisable. I spoke with AEG's president, and thus they moved it to a Wednesday.

So in a small way, I affected the service for MJ. =)

Very respectfully,

Marc Perez
To be fair, it is quite different displacing the date of a 11,000 mourners who didn't pay for their tickets versus nearly 145,000 paying customers. The larger commerce will always trump the smaller one. Therefore, when AX was on similar dates to Jackson's funeral, that would have been a simple choice for a city with a major monetary deficit.

Therefore, when the dates of AX and the X-Games were revealed to be the same in September of 2010, my initial response was, "Great! More people!" Then, after reading about the backing of the X-Games and ESPN by other companies, the amount of sponsorships, vendors, events, and the sea of humanity likely to attend, it was pretty simple to guess who would come out with the bargaining leverage.

In short, please don't count on the city or AEG to do what's best for your attendees. That's the responsibility of your management, just as the city and AEG will do what's best for them.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #1802
Marc.Perez

Reply 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
Hi! May I ask-- If not a strange question-- How you came to this forum? Or found it in other words?
How did I first find out about it? I dont know it's been quite a long time.

I have been familiar with Cosplay.com for quite a long time, but as for this thread, I dont remember when I first found out about it.

Sorry.
Marc.Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #1803
Marc.Perez

Reply 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
Please excuse the stilted timing of the responses. I'm starting a new job and following E3 coverage for a website.

Still, after Lattanzio's departure, a lot of us kept talking here BECAUSE of the lack of information we were receiving from AX and it's partners. You would be astonished with the amount of positive preparation and discussion that occurred here. As a result, several of us ended up very well informed on probable walking routes that were only a small deviation from what was eventually announced.

That is true. However, with such information at your disposal, let's say in March as you said before, some kind of statement should have been released that AX or the SPJA was at least working on the situation. To leave it as a giant unknown threw an incredible monkey wrench into the planned fan gatherings and accessibility. Again, we on this board and thread found maps of previous X-Games plans and adjusted accordingly. The problem is that the same information wasn't being discussed on the AX boards. Every time we tried to bring it up, we were called negative or trying to bring problems were none existed. That wasn't the case, but perception trumps information, sometimes.
Your right. The ball got dropped and not picked back up on this issue.
I'm sorry for this HUGE mistake. We will work to not let things like this happen again.

Quote:
To be fair, it is quite different displacing the date of a 11,000 mourners who didn't pay for their tickets versus nearly 145,000 paying customers. The larger commerce will always trump the smaller one. Therefore, when AX was on similar dates to Jackson's funeral, that would have been a simple choice for a city with a major monetary deficit.
I would respectfully disagree with you. If you remember the event itself they were expecting a huge influx of people storming the LA Live area. +100k people and as a result shut down 4-8 blocks surrounding the space. Paying customers or not, that a very large issue to tackle.

Also, please remember the funeral was held by AEG, the same group that was then producing his newest album & tour. Their was a very large investment for them.

Quote:
Therefore, when the dates of AX and the X-Games were revealed to be the same in September of 2010, my initial response was, "Great! More people!" Then, after reading about the backing of the X-Games and ESPN by other companies, the amount of sponsorship's, vendors, events, and the sea of humanity likely to attend, it was pretty simple to guess who would come out with the bargaining leverage.

In short, please don't count on the city or AEG to do what's best for your attendees. That's the responsibility of your management, just as the city and AEG will do what's best for them.
I know this might sound a bit weird, however the city makes more money off of Anime Expo then it does XGames. Reason being, we consume more taxable hotel rooms. And while XGames did consume some of the hotels in the area, it was not even close to the income generated from AX attendees. AEG does make money on sponsorship's, and obviously has very deep pockets and a very close relationship to the city, so your right their is going to be some give and take, and we are bound to lose somethings.

Lastly, your right it is for our management to adjust/represent/protect to the interests of attendees, vendors, exhibitors and partners. For all of the SPJA's events it's not just me working to put on the events. While I may "Captain the Ship", we would not accomplish anything if it was not for the hard work of our board, employees and last but certainly not least, our staff & volunteers. This is not to leave out our attendees, we also wouldn't be here without them. =)

I'm grateful everyday to have an amazing job and to work with and for such amazing people.
I/We don't always get it right, but we are working to get better.

Thank you again for your continued comments.

Very respectfully,

Marc Perez
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #1804
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
How did I first find out about it? I dont know it's been quite a long time.

I have been familiar with Cosplay.com for quite a long time, but as for this thread, I dont remember when I first found out about it.

Sorry.
Actually, this was referring to BumblebeRecycld
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #1805
Marc.Perez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
Actually, this was referring to BumblebeRecycld
Oh... sorry....
>_< woops..
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #1806
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I know this might sound a bit weird, however the city makes more money off of Anime Expo then it does XGames. Reason being, we consume more taxable hotel rooms. And while XGames did consume some of the hotels in the area, it was not even close to the income generated from AX attendees. AEG does make money on sponsorship's, and obviously has very deep pockets and a very close relationship to the city, so your right their is going to be some give and take, and we are bound to lose somethings.

Lastly, your right it is for our management to adjust/represent/protect to the interests of attendees, vendors, exhibitors and partners. For all of the SPJA's events it's not just me working to put on the events. While I may "Captain the Ship", we would not accomplish anything if it was not for the hard work of our board, employees and last but certainly not least, our staff & volunteers. This is not to leave out our attendees, we also wouldn't be here without them. =)
I know I brought this up before, but when the city of LA treats AX like a second class citizen, I really do think you should negotiate with the city of Anaheim to see what they can offer you with at least. Even if Anaheim does really cost more, it still may be less of a headache to deal with in the long run.

So far, from what you are telling us, the city has not been forthcoming with the X-Games with AX. (But they want you to stay with them, even after what happened at the X-Games.)

Despite the city's promises, I have a bad feeling that the city of LA will do it again, when the next X-Games coincides with AX again. (If you read the newspapers, the city doesn't have a good track record of keeping their promises.)

I have to ask this...other than the price, what is the real advantage of LA over Anaheim? AX has already lost the use of the Nokia Theatre, (the only real advantage) and the LA traffic is horrific. (Oh yeah...The LA Convention Center is also crowded as heck, especially on Saturday, where it's a bumper to bumper wall of people.)

And no offense, but when push comes to shove, AX doesn't stand a chance against the city of LA. (It's not even a David V.S. Goliath fight, but it's more like an ant V.S. the jolly green giant fight.)

Anaheim also has far more hotels than LA, so if you can convince them of the influx of AX people that will be taking up the hotel room blocks, they may be more open to negotiate a cheaper price. (Plus AM2 is gone, so that should free up the schedule.) Remember, for a number of years, the city of Anaheim was trying really hard to entice San Diego Comic Con to come to Anaheim. (They apparently succeeded in convincing WonderCon to come to Anaheim.)

One of the biggest problems right now with LA is the shortage of hotels. The J.W. Marriott sold out within a day or two. At Wondercon, (Which had a attendance rate comparable to AX or more) there were still several hotels that were available a few weeks before the con started. I can tell you right now, that if AX remains in LA, the fans are going to start getting really peeved at the shortage of the hotels, and how fast they sell out.

Some people may think it's more "prestigious" to be in LA, but in the long run, it's really harder on the fans on their pocketbook. The food, the hotels, and the parking in LA are more expensive than at Anaheim. (It's also hotter than hell in July in downtown LA.) In the long run, the fans don't really care about the "prestige" of the location. They want a con that's fun & safe, and doesn't cost them an arm & a leg to stay. (And yes, paying over $160 for parking is still insane.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-12-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #1807
El_Duque
miyoshi82

I would like AX to fix their PR with the anime industry in Japan to get better GoHs in the long. If you read my post a few pages back, I primarily go to AX for the GoHs. 2006 was my very first AX, but CLAMP was there but I only went for two days and I remember the line to see them was really long. 2007, I came for Oreskaband and Haruhi and again I stayed for only a night, so the Oreskaband concert was my only highlight that year. 2008 was the only time I went were I didn't care about the GoHs. However, my nephew came with me and wanted to see David Hayter. 2009 was all about Morning Musume. 2010 was AKB48, Yui Horie, and Eri Kitamura which I almost cried if I didn't get their autographs. It was a game of seconds at that time. 2011 was of course the Miku concert. 2012 looked meh, I do like Fate/Zero but the X-Games was the overall factor on why I didn't go. This year is also meh and that's why I decided to gamble going into next year.
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #1808
Marc.Perez

Reply 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I know I brought this up before, but when the city of LA treats AX like a second class citizen, I really do think you should negotiate with the city of Anaheim to see what they can offer you with at least. Even if Anaheim does really cost more, it still may be less of a headache to deal with in the long run.
We do look at all good options. We were looking at San Diego a few years back.
Financially the venue and hotels are cheaper for our needs in LA. We would prefer to not have to raise the cost of badges. Again though, as we come up for re-newals with the city, we will again look at Anaheim.

Quote:
So far, from what you are telling us, the city has not been forthcoming with the X-Games with AX. (But they want you to stay with them, even after what happened at the X-Games.)

Despite the city's promises, I have a bad feeling that the city of LA will do it again, when the next X-Games coincides with AX again. (If you read the newspapers, the city doesn't have a good track record of keeping their promises.)
Just to clarify, it's not so much the city that is the issue here. AEG is the producer of XGames, and while I think that they watch out for their own best intrest, as to be expected. I just hope they will be a friendly neighbor, as they have demonstrated in the past. Second, it was scheduled on July 4th due to the Olympics, it is typically later in the year. Lastly, I know that it was a tough year for them having it in LA. It did not go as they had planned. So we will see what that results in for the future.

Quote:
I have to ask this...other than the price, what is the real advantage of LA over Anaheim? AX has already lost the use of the Nokia Theatre, (the only real advantage) and the LA traffic is horrific. (Oh yeah...The LA Convention Center is also crowded as heck, especially on Saturday, where it's a bumper to bumper wall of people.)
With LA their are several advantages:
1 While Anaheim has a larger exhibit hall, LA has more meeting rooms in the building.
2 Access to those rooms is much easier, and not dependent on the very long escalators. If you remember main events (c.2006), the line for the escalator for main events took almost 2 hours to clear.
3 Little Tokyo
4. Central access for more of the SoCal area. OC might be closer to you, but the greater LA area & population is much easier to access downtown.
5. Planes, trains & public transit. While Anaheim does a great job, getting to downtown from the valley, LAX or Norcal it is a shorter trip by ~30-60 minutes.
6. While we are not currently using Nokia Theater, it is an option for the future. =)
7. Club Nokia - We are using this year

Not an exhaustive list, but what I can come up with off the top of my head. I have a cold today so take it easy on me. =)

Quote:
And no offense, but when push comes to shove, AX doesn't stand a chance against the city of LA. (It's not even a David V.S. Goliath fight, but it's more like an ant V.S. the jolly green giant fight.)
None taken. The issue is that AX is good long term business. We are yearly, generate great tax revenue when the city is usually down(4th of July weekend), and they have invested in us both in time and effort but also monetarily.

Quote:
Anaheim also has far more hotels than LA, so if you can convince them of the influx of AX people that will be taking up the hotel room blocks, they may be more open to negotiate a cheaper price. (Plus AM2 is gone, so that should free up the schedule.) Remember, for a number of years, the city of Anaheim was trying really hard to entice San Diego Comic Con to come to Anaheim. (They apparently succeeded in convincing WonderCon to come to Anaheim.)
Your right, Anaheim has far more hotels, which is both good and bad. We reduce some of our costs by being able to sell out a hotel. They give us comp rooms based on our guarantees. With more hotels, we can not offer those same guarantees, thus raising our cost liability. If we can reduce the hotel costs, we have to pass it on to our attendees in badge price increases. =(

Also, Everyone! was bidding to get SDCC, Vegas, LACC, Anaheim, Heck even SF Coscone center was.

Quote:
One of the biggest problems right now with LA is the shortage of hotels. The J.W. Marriott sold out within a day or two. At Wondercon, (Which had a attendance rate comparable to AX or more) there were still several hotels that were available a few weeks before the con started. I can tell you right now, that if AX remains in LA, the fans are going to start getting really peeved at the shortage of the hotels, and how fast they sell out.
LA is building one new hotel across from the JW marriott & another one is in design phase for across from Staples Center. AX books 11 hotels in the downtown area and offers shuttles.
Not a perfect situation, but I feel we offer a great price range at some really nice hotels. Try booking the Marriott at any other time for the rate you get during AX.

Quote:
Some people may think it's more "prestigious" to be in LA, but in the long run, it's really harder on the fans on their pocketbook. The food, the hotels, and the parking in LA are more expensive than at Anaheim. (It's also hotter than hell in July in downtown LA.) In the long run, the fans don't really care about the "prestige" of the location. They want a con that's fun & safe, and doesn't cost them an arm & a leg to stay. (And yes, paying over $160 for parking is still insane.)
So on some of these you are correct, but others not quite.

1. Food costs: Really the same at LA or Anaheim, unless you count a drive to the Garden Walk or down to a fastfood place. The same distance from LACC are several fast food places: McDonalds, BurgerKing & Mexican. Also, with the introduction of food trucks, I feel like this is kinda a moot point.

2. Hotels: Their are some hotels who are more expensive, but also their are more cost effective: ~99 per night. Not the same ~60 that is available in Anaheim, but its something. Also, AX has a huge percentage of drive-in attendees. Again that's part of the reason we are in downtown LA.

3. Parking close-by is more expensive off-site yes. However, if you use some of the other options: Bus, Metro or Train in from parking lots that are a bit farther away it can actually be cheaper. Now I'm not saying its cheaper or advisable to park your car in San Diego.. haha.. but use your head a bit and come up with some solutions. Thats not meant to come off as flippant, but at some point the choose you make are just that, your choices. We work to keep the cost of Parking at the LACC down, but negotiating with them to not increase it. We negotiate cheaper parking rates at the JW & Westin. Its not an end all be all solution but we do try where we can. =) And Yes, obviously paying 160 for parking is... well abhorrent.

4. Heat. Its hot everywhere in California in July. I would ask that you have a bit of understanding though. Its not Baltimore in August, same temp with 60%-90% humidity. We work to keep our attendees in the shade while they are in line. We also have the building turn on the A/C at 3am everyday at 100% and leave it on. We would have them turn it to 110% Scotty, but ... sadly that's not possible. =p
Also, no guarantees but we are trying to let them house our lines for Registration in Hall G since we are not using it this year for main events. Stand by on that one, it will be a close to con decision if they do.

These may not be the answers you were looking for, but please keep in mind, we do care and do want more attendees to be able to afford to attend. Thats part of why we decreased attendance cost in 2011 and it has stayed the same since. Thats right, we brought the cost down by 5-10 dollars in 2011. =)

Sorry for writing so much, just trying to give you as much info as I have... that I'm permitted to release.

Very respectfully,

Marc Perez.
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #1809
Marc.Perez

Reply 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
I would like AX to fix their PR with the anime industry in Japan to get better GoHs in the long.
While we don't have the greatest relations with some companies, we are on quite outstanding relationships with others. So who is it that you think we are not on good standing with? We are in outstanding relationships with: GoodSmile, Toei, Sony, Avex, Aniplex, Bushiroad, Amuse, Warner, Univeral JP, Sunrise, METI, Studio Hard, TAF, Sega, Crypton. honestly I can't think of anyone that we are not on good standing with. We travel to Japan between 3-5 times per year. Every trip is packed with meetings. Heck we even held an industry event in Japan this year that was attended by 100 anime, music and production companies. So, I don't know where your getting your information from, but its not accurate.

Quote:
If you read my post a few pages back, I primarily go to AX for the GoHs. 2006 was my very first AX, but CLAMP was there but I only went for two days and I remember the line to see them was really long. 2007, I came for Oreskaband and Haruhi and again I stayed for only a night, so the Oreskaband concert was my only highlight that year. 2008 was the only time I went were I didn't care about the GoHs. However, my nephew came with me and wanted to see David Hayter. 2009 was all about Morning Musume. 2010 was AKB48, Yui Horie, and Eri Kitamura which I almost cried if I didn't get their autographs. It was a game of seconds at that time. 2011 was of course the Miku concert. 2012 looked meh, I do like Fate/Zero but the X-Games was the overall factor on why I didn't go. This year is also meh and that's why I decided to gamble going into next year.
Regarding CLAMP, you want them back again?
Oreskaband, I met with their management & the band last week. We promoted their event.
Haruhi is great, but I was under the impression you judged AX by what new guests we can bring not what we have already done. We strive for people who have not been to the US before that have a very successful history or up and coming groups. huke, Wada, Inoue, Furuhashi, Yuasa, Kikuchi, Kise, Ishikawa.

Go read the bio's, while they might not be the guests you like, they are generally first time visitors to the US or have a number 1 hit in Japan right now.
http://www.anime-expo.org/guests/

Lastly, you love to call out Latanzio for his management, But you loved the guests.
Those guests cost tons of money, as is evident in the 2010 tax filing. We are strive to find a balance in Guests and cost's. We have 4 people working on finances this year, and 7 people working on guest relations. It's not just about if we have a relationship with the company, its if their schedule is open, we can afford them and they have something to promote.
You may not agree with all of the things he did, but understand some of what he did was good. Not trying to be his cheerleader, but please recognize their is a balance to everything. =)

Some of these guests may be rock-stars here, but back home they are just part of the production system. Their work is great and I'm not demeaning them. But they make their living producing content and where possible promoting it. It doesn't always line up with our schedule. Example, we signed a guest this year that not even Funimation could get and they are direct partners.

I hope that sheds a bit more light on it for you.

P.S. Send me an email with the guests you would like to see, and I will give it an honest look.

Very respectfully,

Marc Perez
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #1810
El_Duque
miyoshi82

For a con that considers itself as North America's largest, people expect the biggest and hottest coming from Japan. Yes, I've been spoiled the last several years.
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present

Last edited by El_Duque : 06-12-2013 at 04:50 PM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #1811
BumblebeRecycld

Hi Resident Chick, I have been a member of cosplay.com for 4 years now, and I consider it to be a great place to met new friends, look up cons I would like to attend. I lurk more than I post, and sometimes go weeks at a time with out visiting. Yet, as I looked to my first time going to AX, I have found cosplay.com to be a great resource. I was having several concerns, and when I saw Marc posting...Oh "cut to the chase !"...He has already helped tons, and I have never even met him I tend to go to about 4 cons a year, and try to make a BIG SPLASH with each event (cus I'm an attention whore ...I do tend to deliver. Are you cosplaying this year ?
BumblebeRecycld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #1812
BotMan

Quote:
P.S. Send me an email with the guests you would like to see, and I will give it an honest look.
Nana Mizuki please!..but i think it will be impossible to get her. her price is way to high I bet.
maybe in 2018..or if danny choo will be able to get her next year? o.o
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #1813
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:

You should bring the folks from That Anime Show
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #1814
choxie-chan
Uchuu KITAAAAA!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotMan View Post
Nana Mizuki please!..but i think it will be impossible to get her. her price is way to high I bet.
maybe in 2018..or if danny choo will be able to get her next year? o.o
OH MY GOODNESS YES!!!! NANA MIZUKI FTW~!!!!

Also, I think my request will be random but I would also like to see the following as GoHs:
JAM Project
Masaki Endoh
Kanon Wakeshima
May'n
Anna Tsuchiya
ZUN
Takehito Koyasu
Mayu Shinjo
Himeka
Tara Strong
Andrea Libman
Atsuko Tanaka

I might update asdf but yes plz. xD

AX 2014
Day 1: Struttin on fairy kei
Day 2: Mariah - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Day 3: Chen - Touhou
Day 4: Mariah - JJBA:SC

Last edited by choxie-chan : 06-12-2013 at 07:33 PM.
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #1815
Isikaru

If AX could get Kamiya Hiroshi one of these years...I could just die happy.
Isikaru is offline   Reply With Quote