Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #1801
Marc.Perez

Reply 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I know I brought this up before, but when the city of LA treats AX like a second class citizen, I really do think you should negotiate with the city of Anaheim to see what they can offer you with at least. Even if Anaheim does really cost more, it still may be less of a headache to deal with in the long run.
We do look at all good options. We were looking at San Diego a few years back.
Financially the venue and hotels are cheaper for our needs in LA. We would prefer to not have to raise the cost of badges. Again though, as we come up for re-newals with the city, we will again look at Anaheim.

Quote:
So far, from what you are telling us, the city has not been forthcoming with the X-Games with AX. (But they want you to stay with them, even after what happened at the X-Games.)

Despite the city's promises, I have a bad feeling that the city of LA will do it again, when the next X-Games coincides with AX again. (If you read the newspapers, the city doesn't have a good track record of keeping their promises.)
Just to clarify, it's not so much the city that is the issue here. AEG is the producer of XGames, and while I think that they watch out for their own best intrest, as to be expected. I just hope they will be a friendly neighbor, as they have demonstrated in the past. Second, it was scheduled on July 4th due to the Olympics, it is typically later in the year. Lastly, I know that it was a tough year for them having it in LA. It did not go as they had planned. So we will see what that results in for the future.

Quote:
I have to ask this...other than the price, what is the real advantage of LA over Anaheim? AX has already lost the use of the Nokia Theatre, (the only real advantage) and the LA traffic is horrific. (Oh yeah...The LA Convention Center is also crowded as heck, especially on Saturday, where it's a bumper to bumper wall of people.)
With LA their are several advantages:
1 While Anaheim has a larger exhibit hall, LA has more meeting rooms in the building.
2 Access to those rooms is much easier, and not dependent on the very long escalators. If you remember main events (c.2006), the line for the escalator for main events took almost 2 hours to clear.
3 Little Tokyo
4. Central access for more of the SoCal area. OC might be closer to you, but the greater LA area & population is much easier to access downtown.
5. Planes, trains & public transit. While Anaheim does a great job, getting to downtown from the valley, LAX or Norcal it is a shorter trip by ~30-60 minutes.
6. While we are not currently using Nokia Theater, it is an option for the future. =)
7. Club Nokia - We are using this year

Not an exhaustive list, but what I can come up with off the top of my head. I have a cold today so take it easy on me. =)

Quote:
And no offense, but when push comes to shove, AX doesn't stand a chance against the city of LA. (It's not even a David V.S. Goliath fight, but it's more like an ant V.S. the jolly green giant fight.)
None taken. The issue is that AX is good long term business. We are yearly, generate great tax revenue when the city is usually down(4th of July weekend), and they have invested in us both in time and effort but also monetarily.

Quote:
Anaheim also has far more hotels than LA, so if you can convince them of the influx of AX people that will be taking up the hotel room blocks, they may be more open to negotiate a cheaper price. (Plus AM2 is gone, so that should free up the schedule.) Remember, for a number of years, the city of Anaheim was trying really hard to entice San Diego Comic Con to come to Anaheim. (They apparently succeeded in convincing WonderCon to come to Anaheim.)
Your right, Anaheim has far more hotels, which is both good and bad. We reduce some of our costs by being able to sell out a hotel. They give us comp rooms based on our guarantees. With more hotels, we can not offer those same guarantees, thus raising our cost liability. If we can reduce the hotel costs, we have to pass it on to our attendees in badge price increases. =(

Also, Everyone! was bidding to get SDCC, Vegas, LACC, Anaheim, Heck even SF Coscone center was.

Quote:
One of the biggest problems right now with LA is the shortage of hotels. The J.W. Marriott sold out within a day or two. At Wondercon, (Which had a attendance rate comparable to AX or more) there were still several hotels that were available a few weeks before the con started. I can tell you right now, that if AX remains in LA, the fans are going to start getting really peeved at the shortage of the hotels, and how fast they sell out.
LA is building one new hotel across from the JW marriott & another one is in design phase for across from Staples Center. AX books 11 hotels in the downtown area and offers shuttles.
Not a perfect situation, but I feel we offer a great price range at some really nice hotels. Try booking the Marriott at any other time for the rate you get during AX.

Quote:
Some people may think it's more "prestigious" to be in LA, but in the long run, it's really harder on the fans on their pocketbook. The food, the hotels, and the parking in LA are more expensive than at Anaheim. (It's also hotter than hell in July in downtown LA.) In the long run, the fans don't really care about the "prestige" of the location. They want a con that's fun & safe, and doesn't cost them an arm & a leg to stay. (And yes, paying over $160 for parking is still insane.)
So on some of these you are correct, but others not quite.

1. Food costs: Really the same at LA or Anaheim, unless you count a drive to the Garden Walk or down to a fastfood place. The same distance from LACC are several fast food places: McDonalds, BurgerKing & Mexican. Also, with the introduction of food trucks, I feel like this is kinda a moot point.

2. Hotels: Their are some hotels who are more expensive, but also their are more cost effective: ~99 per night. Not the same ~60 that is available in Anaheim, but its something. Also, AX has a huge percentage of drive-in attendees. Again that's part of the reason we are in downtown LA.

3. Parking close-by is more expensive off-site yes. However, if you use some of the other options: Bus, Metro or Train in from parking lots that are a bit farther away it can actually be cheaper. Now I'm not saying its cheaper or advisable to park your car in San Diego.. haha.. but use your head a bit and come up with some solutions. Thats not meant to come off as flippant, but at some point the choose you make are just that, your choices. We work to keep the cost of Parking at the LACC down, but negotiating with them to not increase it. We negotiate cheaper parking rates at the JW & Westin. Its not an end all be all solution but we do try where we can. =) And Yes, obviously paying 160 for parking is... well abhorrent.

4. Heat. Its hot everywhere in California in July. I would ask that you have a bit of understanding though. Its not Baltimore in August, same temp with 60%-90% humidity. We work to keep our attendees in the shade while they are in line. We also have the building turn on the A/C at 3am everyday at 100% and leave it on. We would have them turn it to 110% Scotty, but ... sadly that's not possible. =p
Also, no guarantees but we are trying to let them house our lines for Registration in Hall G since we are not using it this year for main events. Stand by on that one, it will be a close to con decision if they do.

These may not be the answers you were looking for, but please keep in mind, we do care and do want more attendees to be able to afford to attend. Thats part of why we decreased attendance cost in 2011 and it has stayed the same since. Thats right, we brought the cost down by 5-10 dollars in 2011. =)

Sorry for writing so much, just trying to give you as much info as I have... that I'm permitted to release.

Very respectfully,

Marc Perez.
Marc.Perez is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #1802
Marc.Perez

Reply 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
I would like AX to fix their PR with the anime industry in Japan to get better GoHs in the long.
While we don't have the greatest relations with some companies, we are on quite outstanding relationships with others. So who is it that you think we are not on good standing with? We are in outstanding relationships with: GoodSmile, Toei, Sony, Avex, Aniplex, Bushiroad, Amuse, Warner, Univeral JP, Sunrise, METI, Studio Hard, TAF, Sega, Crypton. honestly I can't think of anyone that we are not on good standing with. We travel to Japan between 3-5 times per year. Every trip is packed with meetings. Heck we even held an industry event in Japan this year that was attended by 100 anime, music and production companies. So, I don't know where your getting your information from, but its not accurate.

Quote:
If you read my post a few pages back, I primarily go to AX for the GoHs. 2006 was my very first AX, but CLAMP was there but I only went for two days and I remember the line to see them was really long. 2007, I came for Oreskaband and Haruhi and again I stayed for only a night, so the Oreskaband concert was my only highlight that year. 2008 was the only time I went were I didn't care about the GoHs. However, my nephew came with me and wanted to see David Hayter. 2009 was all about Morning Musume. 2010 was AKB48, Yui Horie, and Eri Kitamura which I almost cried if I didn't get their autographs. It was a game of seconds at that time. 2011 was of course the Miku concert. 2012 looked meh, I do like Fate/Zero but the X-Games was the overall factor on why I didn't go. This year is also meh and that's why I decided to gamble going into next year.
Regarding CLAMP, you want them back again?
Oreskaband, I met with their management & the band last week. We promoted their event.
Haruhi is great, but I was under the impression you judged AX by what new guests we can bring not what we have already done. We strive for people who have not been to the US before that have a very successful history or up and coming groups. huke, Wada, Inoue, Furuhashi, Yuasa, Kikuchi, Kise, Ishikawa.

Go read the bio's, while they might not be the guests you like, they are generally first time visitors to the US or have a number 1 hit in Japan right now.
http://www.anime-expo.org/guests/

Lastly, you love to call out Latanzio for his management, But you loved the guests.
Those guests cost tons of money, as is evident in the 2010 tax filing. We are strive to find a balance in Guests and cost's. We have 4 people working on finances this year, and 7 people working on guest relations. It's not just about if we have a relationship with the company, its if their schedule is open, we can afford them and they have something to promote.
You may not agree with all of the things he did, but understand some of what he did was good. Not trying to be his cheerleader, but please recognize their is a balance to everything. =)

Some of these guests may be rock-stars here, but back home they are just part of the production system. Their work is great and I'm not demeaning them. But they make their living producing content and where possible promoting it. It doesn't always line up with our schedule. Example, we signed a guest this year that not even Funimation could get and they are direct partners.

I hope that sheds a bit more light on it for you.

P.S. Send me an email with the guests you would like to see, and I will give it an honest look.

Very respectfully,

Marc Perez
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #1803
El_Duque
miyoshi82

For a con that considers itself as North America's largest, people expect the biggest and hottest coming from Japan. Yes, I've been spoiled the last several years.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015

Last edited by El_Duque : 06-12-2013 at 03:50 PM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #1804
BumblebeRecycld

Hi Resident Chick, I have been a member of cosplay.com for 4 years now, and I consider it to be a great place to met new friends, look up cons I would like to attend. I lurk more than I post, and sometimes go weeks at a time with out visiting. Yet, as I looked to my first time going to AX, I have found cosplay.com to be a great resource. I was having several concerns, and when I saw Marc posting...Oh "cut to the chase !"...He has already helped tons, and I have never even met him I tend to go to about 4 cons a year, and try to make a BIG SPLASH with each event (cus I'm an attention whore ...I do tend to deliver. Are you cosplaying this year ?
BumblebeRecycld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #1805
BotMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc.Perez View Post
P.S. Send me an email with the guests you would like to see, and I will give it an honest look.
Nana Mizuki please!..but i think it will be impossible to get her. her price is way to high I bet.
maybe in 2018..or if danny choo will be able to get her next year? o.o
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #1806
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc.Perez View Post

You should bring the folks from That Anime Show
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #1807
choxie-chan
Hayaku… furimuite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotMan View Post
Nana Mizuki please!..but i think it will be impossible to get her. her price is way to high I bet.
OH MY GOODNESS YES!!!! NANA MIZUKI FTW~!!!!

Also, I think my request will be random but I would also like to see the following as GoHs:
JAM Project
Masaki Endoh
Kanon Wakeshima
May'n
Anna Tsuchiya
ZUN
Takehito Koyasu
Mayu Shinjo
Himeka
Tara Strong
Andrea Libman
Atsuko Tanaka

I might update asdf but yes plz. xD

Cons I'll Probably Attend
Anime California 2016?
TouhouCon?
Anime Los Angeles 2017?
Anime Expo 2017?

Last edited by choxie-chan : 06-12-2013 at 06:33 PM.
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #1808
Isikaru

If AX could get Kamiya Hiroshi one of these years...I could just die happy.
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #1809
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotMan View Post
I've gotten to a point that Danny Choo is there every year. Uverworld...Nokia Theater...2014...Get it done...Please...
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #1810
BotMan

Quote:
I've gotten to a point that Danny Choo is there every year. Uverworld...Nokia Theater...2014...Get it done...Please...
Its kinda like Otakon with Masao Maruyama, he there almost every year..

AX should let Danny Choo bring in the guests..since he have lots of connection too (he got the attack on titan guy) so maybe he could get the impossible people like Nana Mizuki and Uverworld, etc etc.

maybe we can get 5 huge musical guests or impossible to get voice actor/actress next year..if he help..
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #1811
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
We do look at all good options. We were looking at San Diego a few years back.
Actually, San Diego wouldn't be too bad. it's lot like Anaheim in some ways. But let me guess, they were asking too much?

I hope Long Beach would never be a contender though. (The convention center is too small for AX, and some bad experience with the "Staff Pro" people, when a AX volunteer fainted.)

Quote:
4. Central access for more of the SoCal area. OC might be closer to you, but the greater LA area & population is much easier to access downtown.
Actually, downtown LA is much, much closer to me. But in terms of convention centers, I would prefer Anaheim when it comes to conventions, due to the reason stated above.

Incidentally, I was also there, when the Star Wars Celebration 4 Convention was held at the LA Convention Center in May 2007. Apparently, the Star Wars Celebration Convention didn't like the LA convention center, so they never returned to LA, and moved their con to Orlando, Florida for the last two conventions. (Some of their complaints that I've heard, were the price of parking, the location itself, the safety issue, the traffic, the prices for the hotels, and the lack of hotels, as well as the distance of the hotels.)

Quote:
AX books 11 hotels in the downtown area and offers shuttles.
I have to ask this, why was the Figueroa hotel ever added on the con list for AX?

I've stayed at the place before, and it was horrific and a safety hazard. There were bed bugs, and there were cockroaches running all over the place. (Plus there were blood stains on the sheets.) The owner, Uno is even worse, and he's very combative & belligerent. He throws people out just for complaining about the conditions in his hotel. That place should have been condemned some time ago. (And yes, he doesn't like females, and often talks down to them.)

Quote:
2 Access to those rooms is much easier, and not dependent on the very long escalators. If you remember main events (c.2006), the line for the escalator for main events took almost 2 hours to clear.
Actually at Wondercon this year, and last year in Anaheim, the escalator traffic were very well managed, and people could use it with no problems with no real human traffic jams. I never felt it to be as packed as the LA Convention Center with AX. (Wondercon is also comparable or slightly bigger in size in comparison to AX.)

Quote:
3. Parking close-by is more expensive off-site yes. However, if you use some of the other options: Bus, Metro or Train in from parking lots that are a bit farther away it can actually be cheaper. Now I'm not saying its cheaper or advisable to park your car in San Diego.. haha.. but use your head a bit and come up with some solutions. Thats not meant to come off as flippant, but at some point the choose you make are just that, your choices. We work to keep the cost of Parking at the LACC down, but negotiating with them to not increase it. We negotiate cheaper parking rates at the JW & Westin. Its not an end all be all solution but we do try where we can. =) And Yes, obviously paying 160 for parking is... well abhorrent.
Actually, there's not much of a choice when it comes to parking, especially when you are cosplaying. Many of the parking place off site don't offer overnight parking, and neither does the convention center. There's no way that I'll be lugging all that props and costumes stuff on the Metro. (And yes, I do ride the Metro, including the light rail.) Sometimes at night, some of the gangbangers would show up on the Blue Line where it stops in front of the convention center. (Another reason why I'm not going to lug all my stuff on the Metro.)

Some of the parking places isn't that safe either, and there's been more than a few breaks ins. (By the way, I used to work in downtown LA, so I do know the parking is always been hideously expensive. Eating out during my lunch & dinner breaks were also expensive.)

So to play it safe, I have to park at the hotel, and pay over $160. (This is downtown LA after all.)

Quote:
Also, Everyone! was bidding to get SDCC, Vegas, LACC, Anaheim, Heck even SF Coscone center was.
So what are the chances of AX ever getting Las Vegas? (O.K. I'm half kidding on that part, because it's a snowball chance in hell of that ever happening. Vegas was trying to real hard to get the San Diego Comic Con though.) I wouldn't mind for it being in the Vegas, since they have a larger convention center than even Anaheim, but it may be a bit more difficult for the kids who are under 18 due to the casinos.

Quote:
4. Heat. Its hot everywhere in California in July. I would ask that you have a bit of understanding though. Its not Baltimore in August, same temp with 60%-90% humidity. We work to keep our attendees in the shade while they are in line. We also have the building turn on the A/C at 3am everyday at 100% and leave it on. We would have them turn it to
Actually I've been to Southeast Asia when it was 90% humidity, and 110 degrees. I've also been to Florida & Georgia in the summer. (Baltimore is not even close in comparison.) LA is a cakewalk compared to that. But it's still not pleasant, and there's always a chance of a heatstroke when proper measures are not taken. (I've been to both Anaheim, and downtown LA in the middle of summer, and downtown LA always wins when it comes to the heat.)

Quote:

We would have them turn it to 110% Scotty, but ... sadly that's not possible. =p
Captain Kirk! I'm giving it all she got! Aye! She'll pull apart at the seams if we keep going!! She's about to have a warp core breach due to ye cheap, flimsy Terran builders & too much lens flare!

Quote:
Also, no guarantees but we are trying to let them house our lines for Registration in Hall G since we are not using it this year for main events. Stand by on that one, it will be a close to con decision if they do.
Shade is always good. You certainly don't want a repeat of what happened at Fanime this year where several attendees were fainting & collapsing in the line from the heat, and paramedics were rushing in. (That never looks good for any con.)

Quote:
I have a cold today so take it easy on me. =)
Time for more Robitussin or Nyquil, and lots of sleep.

Also, in regards to Allison McKnight, is there going to be a reprimand, and will disciplinary measures be taken regarding her recent & very unprofessional conduct?

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-12-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #1812
Marc.Perez

Reply 20

Quote:
I'll see what I can do.
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #1813
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Duque

I'll see what I can do.

But I like Danny Choo!
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #1814
Black_The_White

I have to disagree with you about the parking, Hakaider. Yes, if you get there later it's harder to find parking but my friends and I drove two years ago every day and had no problem finding parking. The staff was even very helpful in getting our oversized passenger van into a place behind the convention center. Parking is what, generally like 20, a day, if that? Depends on where you park really. It also helps if you're carpooling and split the cost. But I really don't think it's bad. And in all my times of driving to either the convention center, or even Little Tokyo, the fashion district or anything, I've never felt "not safe" or thought my car would be broken into. Actually I take that back because we cleared out of China Town/Little Tokyo by 4pm for safety reasons but that's something else entirely.

I can see why it'd be an expense issue if you parked at a hotel. But generally whenever I stay in a hotel, I also carpool so that it's only one car total and we split the expense for it.

As far as the metro, yeah. I wouldn't take it at night. But I had no problem taking it last year and getting props an such onto it. It's fun, at least, to see other cosplayers that you can sit next to and be stared at by everyone 'normal'. haha.

Conventions
Fanime 2016
Anime Expo 2016

Last edited by Black_The_White : 06-12-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Black_The_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #1815
Marc.Perez

Reply 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Actually, San Diego wouldn't be too bad. it's lot like Anaheim in some ways. But let me guess, they were asking too much?

I hope Long Beach would never be a contender though. (The convention center is too small for AX, and bad experience with the "Staff Pro" people, when a AX volunteer fainted.)
LBCC is not on the list, I promise you that.

And Staff Pro... yuck. No one on staff liked them much either.

Quote:
Actually, downtown LA is much, much closer to me. But in terms of convention centers, I would prefer Anaheim when it comes to conventions, due to the reason stated above.

Incidentally, I was also there, when the Star Wars Celebration 4 Convention was held at the LA Convention Center in May 2007. Apparently, the Star Wars Celebration Convention didn't like the LA convention center, so they never returned to LA, and moved their con to Orlando, Florida for the last two conventions. (Some of their complaints that I've heard, were the price of parking, the location itself, the safety issue, the traffic, and the lack of hotels, as well as the distance of the hotels.)
Re: Anaheim, I can respect that. It's definitely more... tourist friendly.

Re: Star Wars Celebration, that's partly true. But they also had finance problems.

Quote:
Actually, there's not much of a choice when it comes to parking, especially when you are cosplaying. Many of the parking place off site don't offer overnight parking, and neither does the convention center. There's no way that I'll be lugging all that props and costumes stuff on the Metro. (And yes, I do ride the Metro, including the light rail.) Sometimes at night, some of the gangbangers would show up on the Blue Line where it stops in front of the convention center. (Another reason why I'm not going to lug all my stuff on the Metro.)
Safety 3rd. -Mike Rowe
I can understand that, however having the last name Perez and a little bit of dark skin. Not all people of ethic background are gang bangers. Some of those people attend anime expo. =)

Quote:
Some of the parking places isn't that safe either, and there's been more than a few breaks ins. (By the way, I used to work in downtown LA, so I do know the parking is always been hideously expensive. Eating out during my lunch & dinner breaks were also expensive.)

So to play it safe, I have to park at the hotel, and pay over $160. (This is downtown LA after all.)
Again, not a bad move, we would always encourage you to do what you need to, to feel safe. Within the law of course.

Quote:
So what are the chances of AX ever getting Las Vegas? (O.K. I'm half kidding on that part, because it's a snowball chance in hell of that ever happening. Vegas was trying to real hard to get the San Diego Comic Con though.) I wouldn't mind for it being in the Vegas, since they have a larger convention center than even Anaheim, but it may be a bit more difficult for the kids who are under 18 due to the casinos.
LVCC is huge, but also kinda old and in parts really ugly.
Casinos are an issue, but after talking with the Otakon kids, the hotel is making some concessions for a younger audience. Not with regards to gambling mind you, but not requiring you to be 21 to check in if part of the room block.

Quote:
Actually I've been to Southeast Asia when it was 90% humidity, and 110 degrees. I've also been to Florida & Georgia in the summer. (Baltimore is not even close in comparison.) LA is a cakewalk compared to that. But it's still not pleasant, and there's always a chance of a heatstroke when proper measures are not taken. (I've been to both Anaheim, and downtown LA in the middle of summer, and downtown LA always wins when it comes to the heat.)
That is one reason I love SoCal. A simi-arid climate, with little humidity and a very low bug population. =)

Quote:
Captain Kirk! I'm giving it all she got! Aye! She'll pull apart at the seams if we keep going!! She's about to have a warp core breach due to ye cheap, flimsy Terran builders & too much lens flare!
Hahahaaaa.... I think the first one was much better then the second. But if you go into this one with a bit of, this is going to ridiculous then its not so bad. Same for Furious 6, Longest. Runway. Ever.

Quote:
Shade is always good. You certainly don't want a repeat of what happened at Fanime this year where several attendees were fainting & collapsing in the line from the heat, and paramedics were rushing in. (That never looks good for any con.)
I was at Fanime last year, it was an ok event. It's a fan run show, it's in its name. =)
I'm really sorry that so many people had issues and wish that team lots of luck. They will be at AX this year and are taking part in Project Anime US.

Quote:
Also, in regards to Allison McKnight, is there going to be a reprimand, and will disciplinary measures be taken regarding her recent & very unprofessional conduct?
While I cant answer this question directly, the proper actions have been taken.
More than that, I can't say. She is an employee of the SPJA, is protected by privacy law.

I will say, it is Allison's second year as an employee on staff, and what she said was reprehensible regardless of how you look at it. That is not the image we should propagate internally or externally. And while you at times may not agree with others, the choice of language was not acceptable under any circumstances.

This also lightly touches on something that comes up all the time. Loyalty to El Presidente.
While I have explained the title in the past, I want to address the perceived loyalty.

The SPJA is a multi-million dollar origination with 16 employees and 1,100 volunteers.
At this point, few of the employees are my friends and while we do have a close working relationship, I don't generally see them outside of work.
Ray, Matt, Taylor, Armand, Lorraine, Allison, Greg, Marlan, Sara, Ian, Risa, Josh, Erica, Amy, Tracy and Stephany are all nice people. However, they work for me and with me to put on the best show we can. While some are full time others are part time and some are seasonal. Just because they work with me, does not mean they agree with everything I do. Quite often what we end up doing is after quite a few conversations some of them heated. Most things are well discussed and thought out, though obviously not everything. =) We do the best we can.

None of them are my lackey's or stooges. (Though I do like the 3 stooges)
They all have differing opinions, but once a decision is made, we work to make it happen.
Much like the military, an order from the boss(I am not the only boss) is to be followed to the letter.

So in the Chain of Command:
Board -> CEO -> Group Directors/Deputy Directors -> Division Managers/Assistant Managers -> Department/Assistant Managers -> Staff

I answer to the Board, the Directors report to me, Division managers to Directors and so on and so forth down the line. Rarely, do I give direct instructions to Division Managers and below. I work with the Directors to accomplish our goals and they instruct their staff. If the whole Board instructs me to do something, I do it or instruct my staff to help me get it done. Reason being I can't go to the Board and say this didn't get done because someone disagreed with me or the instructions you gave. Again, within the law.

We will be posting the Org Chart to the SPJA webpage shortly. I'll post the link here as soon as its up.

Very respectfully,

Marc Perez