Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 157 votes, 4.81 average.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #1966
Black_The_White

Yeah, it's been going on during AX for a few years at least. I've always wanted to go. One of my friends is supposed to help design some of the costumes. It looks really awesome and the costumes are really amazing.

Conventions
Anime LA 2015
Fanime 2015
Black_The_White is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #1967
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

The Labyrinth Masquerade ball looks like a lot of fun. I may give it a try since I've always wanted to go to one of these. It's in the area so why not? I love any excuse to wear a fancy giant dress.

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #1968
Access

Some of my friends really like that event, in past years they have spent some time at AX and some time there. I've heard good things about it (but never been to it).
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #1969
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

I'm not seeing any street closures for AX this year.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #1970
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
I'm not seeing any street closures for AX this year.
Yeah because there are no X-Games.
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #1971
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater

This came across my feed a little bit ago:

https://twitter.com/otakulifejason/s...17964227469313
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #1972
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
This came across my feed a little bit ago:

https://twitter.com/otakulifejason/s...17964227469313
Sheesh. You know when you are speaking in a page that is affiliated with AX, it never looks good, and it's totally unprofessional to drop the F-bomb when you are representing a company in an official capacity.

Here's the excerpt from DJ "meishismile":

http://otakulife.net/stuff/AX_LOL.png

Quote:

meishismile:

I'm playing AX Dance at the United States' largest anime convention this year, Anime Expo! I'll be representing Maltine records and Zoom Lens. More details TBA soon! I look forward to meeting a lot of new people and spreading my message across the dance floor!

FUCK REAL LIFE, ANIME IS REAL LIFE.
The DJ is also being highly irresponsible for trying to encourage underage attendees to come to this dance party at AX after hours & during the curfew time.

Here's another quote from the DJ "meishismile":

Quote:
After 11pm however, the dance is only 18+. It is extremely unlikely they'll be able to kick out such a large crowd, so be safe and just show up before 11 if you are not of age.

Also, encouraging underage attendee to sneak in after the curfew time is illegal under the law. (The DJ can potentially get AX into trouble with the police for this.)

And another quote from DJ "meishismile":
Quote:

Be advised when entering the dance, standard club procedures will ensue (basically hide all your drugz well...)

So he's not only encouraging underage kids to break the curfew, he's asking them to hide the drugs as well. (Oh boy, the DJ is really asking for the LAPD to go undercover & have a surprise drug bust at the party. He's going to make AX look really "good". So good, that it may end up as news in the Los Angeles Times newspaper.)

I wonder if the DJ even knows that some of the AX attendees & cosplayers are Police Officers, Paramedics and Firemen? Probably not. You know, Mr. DJ "meishismile", if you haven't gotten their attention about the dance party before, you certainly have their attention now.

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-24-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #1973
Morrissey
Insanely Popular

Not to mention the "Hide all your drugz" comment. Someone dropped the ball there. People have been fired for less lol.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #1974
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Damn man, way to go Ax..
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #1975
Blair M.Lozano

Anime Expo

Looking forword to Anime Expo 2013
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #1976
xiaohimecece
The Little Princess

I'm on tumblr a lot and I also follow AX's blog so I saw that post with meishismile right when it was posted (I didn't think it'd show up here). But here's my thoughts:

1. The F word on tumblr is not a new thing. It's overused to the point that I barely even notice it anymore when I'm reading posts. Blog names are even "f__yeah(insertsubjecthere)" It is at least a 13+ site and considering that the post was originally the DJ's personal's tumblr and not directed to any person, I think that is fairly acceptable (even if it's crude).

2. Personally I think AX should not have reblogged that post since that that DJ was kinda pushing it with the "hide your drugs" and the "if you're under 18" comment. It would be best if the DJ's personal comments were kept to his own blog, since it probably would not have cause much of a scene and that info would just circulate with his own followers. Unfortunately, we don't get to choose who re-blogs our posts on tumblr. AX should generally be careful with what they post/how they post it. If they wanted to promote the DJ, It would probably be easier with a summary and a link to the main post and with some possible warnings (or decide to not post it at all).

3. I'm thinking the DJ is a guest, and not exactly a staff? Although his post was kind of crude, it's not necessarily all that uncommon on tumblr (heck I see posts on how to get away with murder). But it does blur the line between being okay or not okay with his profession. However, he does seem like a pretty popular DJ and people seem to like his music.

Last edited by xiaohimecece : 06-24-2013 at 01:52 AM.
xiaohimecece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #1977
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I'm on tumblr a lot and I also follow AX's blog so I saw that post with meishismile right when it was posted (I didn't think it'd show up here). But here's my thoughts:

1. The F word on tumblr is not a new thing. It's overused to the point that I barely even notice it anymore when I'm reading posts. Blog names are even "f__yeah(insertsubjecthere)" It is at least a 13+ site and considering that the post was originally the DJ's personal's tumblr and not directed to any person, I think that is fairly acceptable (even if it's crude).

2. Personally I think AX should not have reblogged that post since that that DJ was kinda pushing it with the "hide your drugs" and the "if you're under 18" comment. It would be best if the DJ's personal comments were kept to his own blog, since it probably would not have cause much of a scene and that info would just circulate with his own followers. Unfortunately, we don't get to choose who re-blogs our posts on tumblr. AX should generally be careful with what they post/how they post it. If they wanted to promote the DJ, It would probably be easier with a summary and a link to the main post and with some possible warnings (or decide to not post it at all).

3. I'm thinking the DJ is a guest, and not exactly a staff? Although his post was kind of crude, it's not necessarily all that uncommon on tumblr (heck I see posts on how to get away with murder). But it does blur the line between being okay or not okay with his profession. However, he does seem like a pretty popular DJ and people seem to like his music.
Here's the difference though.

If he were start his own rave at a different party at some nightclub, and he cussed like that, it probably wouldn't raised too many eyebrows.

But if he's going to be the sole DJ, (As he's claiming) at the AX Dance Party, the party actually reflects on AX. People will associate with AX with that dance party.

His post wasn't about a private small party at a private nightclub. (If that were the case, then noone would really care what he wants to do.) However, his post was about a very public AX Dance Party. (His posts does reflect on AX.) It also wasn't an opinion post. His post was very specific about what he was planning to do at the AX dance party.

Also, while cussing is not a crime, (Even though it shows a tremendous lack of professionalism) sneaking in illegal drugs, and willfully sneaking in underaged kids during curfew hours are illegal.

And I do not think Marc will condone sneaking in illegal drugs & underage kids after hours into the party. (Which is what the DJ was encouraging.) It's stuff like that can get people fired on the spot. It's also breaking the law.

I also don't think the AX staffers will relish the idea of explaining to the police, or the parents as to why there were minors after hours, and people were secretly doing drugs during the dance party. It's the kind of attention that AX doesn't need right now. (I'm sure that the LA Convention Center or the J.W. Marriott won't be too happy about it either.)

Yes, I believe the DJ may be a guest of AX. (Who is showing some very poor taste.)

In the long run though, it doesn't matter how popular the guy is. What he was encouraging was wrong and illegal.

Personally, AX should start looking for a replacement DJ for the dance party.

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-24-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #1978
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

[quote=xiaohimecece;4702577]I'm on tumblr a lot and I also follow AX's blog so I saw that post with meishismile right when it was posted (I didn't think it'd show up here). But here's my thoughts:

Quote:
1. The F word on tumblr is not a new thing
Yes, I agree. It's nothing big anymore, and If you still do get highly offended by the word fuck? Then hello, yes, everybody says it. If you say you don't, I'm almost completely sure you're lying. Hell, my blog has the world 'Fuck' right in the middle of the title. But still, as a professional? Seems a little harsh. And I need to agree, why are you advertising drugs and underage kids to go to a rave? ((Regardless if you call it a dance, a party, a rave or just a DJ hanging out, its inappropriate.)

Quote:
2.It would be best if the DJ's personal comments were kept to his own blog
True, and I think AX could have simply kept it under the spotlight instead of reblogging it like that. I try to refrain as much as possible from cursing or 'lewd and inappropriat ' comments whenever I type, but it's hard when saying the F word has been common in my house and in my vocabulary since the age of eight.

Quote:
3. But it does blur the line between being okay or not okay with his profession. However, he does seem like a pretty popular DJ and people seem to like his music.
Still, it's like...say Jurassic Park as a reference possibly. You love dinosaurs, but would you want to spend the night in a room with someone who said 'Hey, lets genetically build dinosaurs then accidentally let them run wild.' Or hell, being the guy who said they didn't need boats for if the Titanic sank. If something happens to a minor, do you think he wants to get held accountable?

I don't know what I'm even saying anymore.
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #1979
Marc.Perez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Sheesh. You know when you are speaking in a page that is affiliated with AX, it never looks good, and it's totally unprofessional to drop the F-bomb when you are representing a company in an official capacity.

Here's the excerpt from DJ "meishismile":

http://otakulife.net/stuff/AX_LOL.png

The DJ is also being highly irresponsible for trying to encourage underage attendees to come to this dance party at AX after hours & during the curfew time.

Here's another quote from the DJ "meishismile":

Also, encouraging underage attendee to sneak in after the curfew time is illegal under the law. (The DJ can potentially get AX into trouble with the police for this.)

And another quote from DJ "meishismile":

So he's not only encouraging underage kids to break the curfew, he's asking them to hide the drugs as well. (Oh boy, the DJ is really asking for the LAPD to go undercover & have a surprise drug bust at the party. He's going to make AX look really "good". So good, that it may end up as news in the Los Angeles Times newspaper.)

I wonder if the DJ even knows that some of the AX attendees & cosplayers are Police Officers, Paramedics and Firemen? Probably not. You know, Mr. DJ "meishismile", if you haven't gotten their attention about the dance party before, you certainly have their attention now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Here's the difference though.

If he were start his own rave at a different party at some nightclub, and he cussed like that, it probably wouldn't raised too many eyebrows.

But if he's going to be the sole DJ, (As he's claiming) at the AX Dance Party, the party actually reflects on AX. People will associate with AX with that dance party.

His post wasn't about a private small party at a private nightclub. (If that were the case, then noone would really care what he wants to do.) However, his post was about a very public AX Dance Party. (His posts does reflect on AX.) It also wasn't an opinion post. His post was very specific about what he was planning to do at the AX dance party.

Also, while cussing is not a crime, (Even though it shows a tremendous lack of professionalism) sneaking in illegal drugs, and willfully sneaking in underaged kids during curfew hours are illegal.

And I do not think Marc will condone sneaking in illegal drugs & underage kids after hours into the party. (Which is what the DJ was encouraging.) It's stuff like that can get people fired on the spot. It's also breaking the law.

I also don't think the AX staffers will relish the idea of explaining to the police, or the parents as to why there were minors after hours, and people were secretly doing drugs during the dance party. It's the kind of attention that AX doesn't need right now. (I'm sure that the LA Convention Center or the J.W. Marriott won't be too happy about it either.)

Yes, I believe the DJ may be a guest of AX. (Who is showing some very poor taste.)

In the long run though, it doesn't matter how popular the guy is. What he was encouraging was wrong and illegal.

Personally, AX should start looking for a replacement DJ for the dance party.
Talk about bad taste. I heard about it about 30 minutes after it happened. It will be dealt with today. When I have more info I can share, I will comment more.

Thanks for pointing it out!
Marc.Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #1980
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Anyone know where Cross Counter is holding their party on July 5?

https://twitter.com/VampyBitme/statu...466560/photo/1
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote