Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 157 votes, 4.81 average.
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #196
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Also 2 elevators were out that night, 1 due to vomit and the other because someone took a dump in it. Karaoke was never closed.
What the heck?...Someone took a crap in the elevator? Talk about really classless. It's no wonder that the hotel wasn't too happy about it.

Quote:
and yes, Denny's does suck. I was thinking of hitting up Little Tokyo, since there's an all-you-can-eat place on the second floor in the plaza (off 1st), but I don't trust it 100% because I got food poisoning there once. It's sort of a last resort thing. If you know any safer options please let me know XDDD
I agree. The Denny's in that area does suck. Stay away from it, if you can. Both the food and the service is terrible, and there's always a long line in the evening. (Sometimes, people wait up to 2 hours outside.) And even when there is no convention around, both the food, and service still really sucks.

In fact, my friends and I used to crack jokes about that particular Denny's restaurant.

One of the joke is, what do you have to do to become a chef at downtown Denny's?

Answer: Show up.

I would recommend IHOP that's located not too far away from Denny's. The food is good, they give you big portions, and the service is much better than Denny's. (When it is crowded though, it takes longer for the food to show up.)

The IHOP restaurant is located at 800 South Flower St.

The all you can eat place in Little Tokyo that you went to, is called "Oiwake". I went there more than a few times. The food isn't that great, but it's really cheap. The place is more about quantity than quality. (About $10-$12 bucks for an all you can eat meal. That's not including tip though.) It's address is 122 Japanese Village Plaza Mall.

I would also recommend the Curry House. It's located on the 2nd floor, and right next to the Kinokuniya book store. It's a bit pricier than Oiwake, but it's food is really good.

The Kinokuniya book store is located at 123 Astronaut E S Onizuka Street #205, and the Curry House is located at 123 Astronaut E S Onizuka Street #204.

Quote:
I'm sorry I can't think of a solution, but I do agree with you. I didn't even know this site existed until a year ago (when a friend told me about it--I had even been cosplaying for a couple years before that). But I've been going to AX for almost ten years--and back then I just depended on the con running itself well so I could just show up. I'm sure there's a lot of people like that....if nothing else, perhaps someone can ask the AX website to link to this thread so that the non-cosplay people can get info? I know the 'me' of 2008 would be heartily confused by this website, especially because of how it's organized (forums for cons way at the bottom, finding the right con, stuff like that--I bet some people wouldn't even realize there WAS a con section). So, maybe just a link would be nice. We can help them from there.
Unfortunately, I have my doubts if the AX website would really want to link the Cosplay.com forum. There are some members in the SPJA who really hates this forum, and some of them have expressed their displeasure about it in the past behind closed doors. Some of the SPJA members have also been told to not comment here.

There's a bit of a history between the SPJA, and this forum. When Michael Lattanzio became the SPJA CEO a couple of years ago, his actions infuriated many of the fans, as well as many veteran staffers. (Whom many resigned in protest.) Lattanzio has never stepped foot inside an anime or sci-fi con prior to being hired at AX as the CEO, and he had no idea how fandom works. (Prior to his hiring as the SPJA CEO, he was the manager of the Westfield shopping center, and some of his actions over there angered some of the people in Arcadia, and that included the former mayor of Arcadia.)

Fans were able to express their displeasure here, but at the AX forums, discussions about Lattanzio's crazy policies were quickly censored & locked. One of things that Lattanzio wanted to do was to charge $40 per person for the hotel shuttles. There was storm of protest here about it, but that issue was avoided at the AX forums. One of the AX staffers saw the protest here about it, and got the shuttle charge removed.

Before Lattanzio took over, fans could express their real opinions & concerns, and staffers would get good honest feedback at the AX forum. Back then, Cosplay.com was just a forum for various cosplay gathering information prior to Lattanzio. (That would change when Lattanzio took over, and he practiced heavy censorship, and tried to control the flow of information. He seemed unable to grasp how fans would communicate, and tried to control it.)

When Lattanzio eventually "resigned", (Fired) after being CEO for less than a year, there were still certain people at the SPJA who are still furious at this forum to this day. (When Lattanzio left, the AX forums never really mentioned his departure, and there were some fans who were unaware that he had even left.)

If you notice at the AX forum, many of the important & critical issues that are being discussed here, are deliberately being being avoided over there. (You won't find discussions about Jason's recent & sudden termination from "AX Live" show over there.) In fact, some of the AX attendees are still not aware that the X-Games is going on at the same time. (And it's likely that they won't find out until opening day.) As far as they are concerned, everything will be fine, just like it was last year. To them, there will be no barriers, no street closures, and no blockage of access to the convention center, no extra 141,000 people, and no X-Games.

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-01-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #197
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
Guys as soon as locations are planned with ax gathering sites will be told. That's always how it's been. It really doesn't help to freak out before info is given.
How long are you willing to wait? We've got roughly eight weeks, in reality seven(?) as it should be established at least a week before the con.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #198
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
How long are you willing to wait? We've got roughly eight weeks, in reality seven(?) as it should be established at least a week before the con.
I agree with you on this.

AX management doesn't seem to have an interest in designating any other cosplay sites for use. I don't take that as "the normal places will be usable," and I'm guessing Squall doesn't either since they haven't started the Gathering list.

This, to me, is not the right direction. It feels like the major decisions are being made solely from a commercial standpoint. Management is assuming that we're coming to a convention pretty much to spend money in one format or another. It feels like they've lost touch with how a lot of us go to conventions to have fun, and if we have enough fun, we're more likely to stick around and spend money.

To have our fun, we make cosplay groups and panels. I would dare to say that a quarter of the things that go on at a convention are fan-organized, and for us to do our part to make a convention fun, we need a lot of information to make it happen. I'm curious to see the result when a large segment of AX's fans show up and the logistical set-up they've come to expect is changed.

Something I kept forgetting to ask about but may affect traffic and walking in the area is if the Occupy people who gather in Pershing Square hold a protest near the Figueroa corridor. I don't think they'll have an interest in the Anime Expo per se, but they often create traffic snarls in the area and often between Figueroa and Little Tokyo.

Last edited by Freight : 05-01-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #199
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
AX management doesn't seem to have an interest in designating any other cosplay sites for use.
I don't think we can assume that, they may be just as confused as we are at this time, and not knowing how to respond.

May not be management that the inquiries are made to but just lower level in staffers in ops department or access control to make a judgement call based on information they have been presented (in their department).

At some point in time (I'm not sure when, it's really up to squall or whoever else to decide), in the absence of communication, or just general indecision, we have to either try to figure something out ourselves, or leave it up to the hosts of each gathering to try to figure out a place. Because if there is no formal list, about two weeks to a week before the con, the latter will be the end result. I don't see anyone canceling their gathering outright... but some might have to be moved at the last minute (during the con), which is chaotic -- not everyone will know, not everyone will be at the gathering, and so on.
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #200
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

management always has two choices, restructure with help of ppl who know what they are doing or keep going and act like nothing is wrong.

Lattanzio took that stance of he was holier then everyone and really screwed the con with his choices, right now I would love AX heads to be more honest with the fans and if they need help why not do something with the community, when Lattanzio got rid of the con gripe we all knew he didn't want to be proven wrong, but luckily it return last year which was a plus.

AX needs to remember they aren't the only con going on, Fanime has been getting alot of exposure with not only the fans but companies and japan, AM2 last year did make the mistake of going at the same time but they had impressive numbers for a first yr going against AX and has opportunity to grow and more and more will appear while AX attendance will drop.

Also on a side note my friend just found this:
http://animeconji.org/announcement.html
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #201
Access

LelouchYamazaki, I think someone's just fooling around
with that "announcement"
I mean there's a lot more going on behind the scenes with that con, than most people know about.

Though I was told to wait until May in order to register (when I asked at the con), I don't think the SPJA has much to do with it and they're probably just pulling your chain and poking fun at SanSFiS.

Last edited by Access : 05-01-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #202
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

it is an announcement on their official website, so unless someone hacked the site and put it up there this has more merit than speculation and all.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #203
Access

No really there's more going on there and this isn't the place to discuss it all because it would be quite involved. Talk to the local people who run the con, stuff has been going on for at least a month now.
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #204
agt

The announcement is correct.

(The finer details are still being worked out, so we don't have much more to say than what's written on that page.)

-- Adam Tilghman
SanSFiS Founder & Director
agt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #205
Access

agt if it is correct, can you get the SPJA to make a formal announcement?
You need both sides saying the same thing in order to verify.
SPJA website http://www.spja.org/

Also, if the announcement is for real, the wording is off.
San Diego Speculative Fiction Society, Inc. ("SanSFiS", corporate sponsor of Anime Conji), and the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation ("SPJA", corporate sponsor of Anime Expo & Project Anime), are pleased to announce preliminary agreement to shift operation of Anime Conji to the SPJA.

I would refer to SanSFis and SPJA as associations or organizations, not corporations. I believe the SPJA is a 501(c)(6) and SanSFis is probably also a 501(c).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501c

If you are going to call it a corporation, at least include the word 'nonprofit'.

Last edited by Access : 05-01-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #206
agt

Sure I just sent email to Marc Perez. We'll try to get the SPJA website updated soon.
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #207
Access

Okay that's cool, ゆっくりしていってね!
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #208
agt

Thanks, I've modified the announcement text as you suggest.
SPJA is a 501(c)(6) [trade group] nonprofit corporation, SanSFiS is a 501(c)(3) [educational] nonprofit corporation.
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #209
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Here is SPJA's press release on the AX website

http://www.anime-expo.org/other-news...t-anime-conji/

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #210
RichAndCreamy
Anime Conji Unknown

Can Conji FINALLY HAVE ITS OWN FORUM HERE NOW?

hahahahahahhaahahhaha

BTW, I'm a SanSFiS board member and approve of the partnership.

I'm @RichAndCreamy everywhere on the internets.
RichAndCreamy is offline   Reply With Quote