Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 111 votes, 4.73 average.
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #2476
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Anyways, SDCC just announced that pre-reg will occur between Nov 1-Dec 31 for 2014. Oh man, I'm nervous and scared. My 20th Comic Con is on the line.
I guarantee you that it will sellout completely within hours of going on sale on November 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScorpio View Post
My theory as to why comic-con has less cosplayers is that the cosplayers are simply unable to get passes to comic-con. Its so hard to get tickets that they are not able to attend.

From my observations, Comic-con now-a-days is mainly for 3 types of people:
1. people who want to meet/see their favorite TV/movie stars
2. people who want SDCC exclusives, swag, etc
3. old school comic book fans
Of those 3, only people in group 2 will be satisfied. Group 1 will be sorely disappointed by the long lines to get to panels they can never attend because it would have been full before they arrive and Group 3 is dying out and no longer finds the Con fun anymore.

Also it costs a fortune to attend and you have to wait for someone to die before you can get in as a newbie now.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Patterns Completed, Leather gauntlet cuffs and boot covers. Tunic Patterns Cut.
Hero's Shade: In the process of starting. 0% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #2477
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
I guarantee you that it will sellout completely within hours of going on sale on November 1st.
Not hours but minutes.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #2478
DrScorpio
Lucha

Quote:
Of those 3, only people in group 2 will be satisfied. Group 1 will be sorely disappointed by the long lines to get to panels they can never attend because it would have been full before they arrive and Group 3 is dying out and no longer finds the Con fun anymore.
Strangely enough I have many friends in group 1 (people who go to see their fav movie/TV stars) who were very satisfied. This includes people who waited 20+ hours to get into Hall H to see the Thor stars tho only Loki showed up (in full costume).

While I would not have been satisfied with what they got, they spent a good amount of time telling me about how awesome it was. My guess is the mob mentality kicks in, when everyone around you is super excited, you get super excited. Also after 20 hours, any form of stimuli has an effect I guess.
DrScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #2479
Access

Well to each their own, it's just not a con for the rest of us.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #2480
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I had a lot of fun when I went to Comic Con in 2010, but to be honest the fact that it's so hard to get into and so expensive as well (not just badge, but a lot of hotels in the area are really expensive). I'm going to try and check out Wonder Con next year and call that my Comic Con fix...though if things keep going the way they are, Wonder Con could grow to Comic Con numbers within a few years :/
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #2481
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
I had a lot of fun when I went to Comic Con in 2010, but to be honest the fact that it's so hard to get into and so expensive as well (not just badge, but a lot of hotels in the area are really expensive). I'm going to try and check out Wonder Con next year and call that my Comic Con fix...though if things keep going the way they are, Wonder Con could grow to Comic Con numbers within a few years :/

Yea, Wondercon can be SDCC within 6 years or less who knows.
Take a look at Comikaze Expo, They are only on their 3rd year and they are expecting an attendance of 65,000 this year up from 50,000 last year 2012 and 35,000 in 2011. I think that's a HUGE jump - I wonder is (Stan Lee) never had a part in it, if it would have grown that fast?

This next year 2014 I am going to make sure I attend Wonder-con (Money put aside) right now!
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*

Last edited by sicdedman : 08-03-2013 at 08:50 AM.
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #2482
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Personally, I enjoyed Comic-Con, not because of the Exhibit Hall, but because a lot of panels did have good surprises in them for fans to chew over. It's been a long time since I was really pleasantly surprised at a con.

And, Wondercon could be SDCC, but only if a lot of things happen, like Hollywood taking an interest in showing up and the host city gets behind the convention.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #2483
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up happening.

On that note, I'll just attend WonderCon since it's easier to get into and seems like a lot of fun.

Where I'm Heading Next!
Vox Reax Tour (August 16)
Miku Expo (October 11)

Wearing at Vox Reax Tour
Hanji Zoe (Attack on Titan)

"With our powers combined we are cosplayers!"
MeiChama is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #2484
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
By the way, has anyone seen Marc Perez? He hasn't been back here for almost a month.

C'mon Marc, where the heck are you?

Your customers have been asking lots of questions about AX since early last month, and it's like you completely disappeared from the planet.

You are supposed to be the CEO, so for Pete's sake...show some initiative, and leadership & take the reins & take charge, man!

It's not going to look good on you, if you just keep hiding & lurking. (A good leader always addresses the issue, and not avoid it when there would be hard times, or when there is controversy.)

Being a leader, means you have responsibilities. (And not just so you can have cool looking title on your resume.)

Being a leader means taking responsibility for your subordinates, and working out a good relationship with the customers, as well as managing & running the con efficiently.

If you can't do that, or are unwilling to take such responsibilities, then it's time to step down, and let someone else, who is willing to take the responsibility.

So Dangfunit, stop hiding & get out of your funk, and start leading!
Anyways back to AX...

I'm not sure how they can deal with this. The SPJA are not only getting heat from this thread, but their Facebook page is being bombarded with complaints left and right. I'm sure they're laying low and being quiet at this time until things simmer down.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #2485
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Anyways back to AX...

I'm not sure how they can deal with this. The SPJA are not only getting heat from this thread, but their Facebook page is being bombarded with complaints left and right. I'm sure they're laying low and being quiet at this time until things simmer down.
It does seem like SPJA is in a bit of a bind, doresn't it? People weren't happy even before the convention started due to various reasons, and the con just aggravated things. Seems they think their only options are to a) hide until things blow over, or b) talk and risk people yelling at them. At this point, option B might be better. Heck, anything would be better than radio silence. =\

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'
Angelic_Sabyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #2486
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Anyways back to AX...

Quote:
It does seem like SPJA is in a bit of a bind, doresn't it? People weren't happy even before the convention started due to various reasons, and the con just aggravated things. Seems they think their only options are to a) hide until things blow over, or b) talk and risk people yelling at them. At this point, option B might be better. Heck, anything would be better than radio silence. =\
That seems to be the SPJA's MO (Method of Operation) right now. Don't respond, stay very quiet, and just lurk. Many of the other cons, (When they get this high level of complaints) would usually respond. But the SPJA MO right now is to just stay quiet and don't respond. And the current upper management seem to think that the problem will die down by itself, if they ignore it long enough. It's the old method of, if we ignore the problem long enough, the problem will go away by itself.

Don't be surprised if the very same problems occur again at next year's AX, and the usual SPJA's response is to ignore the issue, and maintain radio silence again.

The trouble of ignoring the problem though, is like ignoring a broken & leaky faucet. If you ignore it for too long, it will eventually break, and cause a flood. Problems never go away by itself, if you ignore it. It will always requires solving.

In my more than my twenty years of attending cons, I don't think I've ever seen a con organization run like the SPJA.

Warren Buffett once said that, “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it”.

Last edited by Hakaider : 08-04-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #2487
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

Quote:
That seems to be the SPJA's MO (Method of Operation) right now. Don't respond, stay very quiet, and just lurk. Many of the other cons, (When they get this high level of complaints) would usually respond. But the SPJA MO right now is to just stay quiet and don't respond. And the current upper management seem to think that the problem will die down by itself, if they ignore it long enough. It's the old method of, if we ignore the problem long enough, the problem will go away by itself.

Don't be surprised if the very same problems occur again at next year's AX, and the usual SPJA's response is to ignore the issue, and maintain radio silence again.

The trouble of ignoring the problem though, is like ignoring a broken & leaky faucet. If you ignore it for too long, it will eventually break, and cause a flood. Problems never go away by itself, if you ignore it. It will always requires solving.

In my more than my twenty years of attending cons, I don't think I've ever seen a con organization run like the SPJA.
It isn't just SPJA. Fanime this year has done essentially the same thing. They had the feedback form (which I'm sure a lot of people filled out), yet here it is 2+ months later and not a peep from the higher-ups. Needless to say, if you're trying to fix issues with your convention, ignoring them and hoping they go away/people shut up about them/etc. really isn't a productive way to go.

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'
Angelic_Sabyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #2488
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
It isn't just SPJA. Fanime this year has done essentially the same thing. They had the feedback form (which I'm sure a lot of people filled out), yet here it is 2+ months later and not a peep from the higher-ups. Needless to say, if you're trying to fix issues with your convention, ignoring them and hoping they go away/people shut up about them/etc. really isn't a productive way to go.
That's the funny thing...Fanime in the past, wasn't like that before. It sounds like they have been taking a few lessons from the SPJA.

Apparently, some of the leaders in the upper management are not grasping the concept that competition is extremely fierce now for the customer's money, and the attendees have a wide variety of choices to pick from now. (Japan Expo, Otakon Vegas, ALA, Comikaze, etc.) It's not like more than twenty years ago, when AX was the only game in town. To remain competitive, you have to offer the attendees something that the other cons don't have. (And that also includes customer service.) Word of mouth also gets passed on very rapidly in this age of internet. ( I'm sure all those complaints on the AX Facebook is spreading quickly on the internet, and it's certainly not going to improve AX's reputation.)

The upper management should be able to answer the age old customer questions of:

1. Why should we put our hard earned savings/money into your con or business?

2. What do you have to offer us at this con or business?"

3. What do you have to offer to us, that the competitors can't?"

4. Why should we come back to your con, or business?

If the upper management can't answer those questions, then they have a big problem. (And the answer of "Just shut up, keep quiet, and just toss in your money automatically" is not going to work today.)

Remember, a con or a business exists to serve the customers. Not the other way around.

The customers are & always will be the lifeblood of a con or business. Without them, a con or a business simply can't exist. That fact has been true 5000 years ago, and that fact still hasn't changed today.

Last edited by Hakaider : 08-04-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #2489
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Warren Buffett once said that, “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it”.
I could not agree more.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Patterns Completed, Leather gauntlet cuffs and boot covers. Tunic Patterns Cut.
Hero's Shade: In the process of starting. 0% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo

Last edited by JediofTime : 08-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #2490
Black_The_White

Oh hey.

Otakon Vegas just announced discounted airfare through American and Delta. Haven't looked to see what kind of discount it is..but that's seriously really awesome.

Conventions
Anime LA 2015
Fanime 2015
Black_The_White is offline   Reply With Quote