Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 141 votes, 4.79 average.
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #286
Wordwok
Rabid Fangirl since 1992
 
Wordwok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 152
Music Guest Yuki Kajiura with fictionjunction. ^^
__________________
Convetions/Cosplay:

Anime Expo 2013
--none decided yet

WonderCon 2013 (possibly)
Wordwok is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #287
El_Duque
miyoshi82
 
El_Duque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,329
Yuki Kajiura announced, not a big fan. Still not interesetd.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #288
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host
 
Freight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,707
Yeah, not a very interesting list. There's a couple of glimmers in there, but it's not much for me.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #289
El_Duque
miyoshi82
 
El_Duque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,329
And so they pushed the X Games info back another week. Dissapointing.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #290
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome
 
animejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 673
Yuki Kajiura is a nice get IMO, I would have liked to have seen her there last year with Kalafina, but eh. Yeah, not a huge fan of the fashion end of things...cons like PMX and AM2 have a lot of fashion related guests/events so AX isn't doing anything new there. Range Murata? Awesome! I'm assuming that those three artists respectively will be coming to showcase their work, but for some reason I'm not going to get too excited about that announcement. A couple of decent guests, so this list is starting to show some promise.

Ugh, AX Y U No talk about X Games this week? That's the second week in a row you've blown it off...I hope they don't think we're just going to forget!
__________________
Upcoming Cons
Pacific Media Expo
Anime Los Angeles
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #291
Test Type
Registered User
 
Test Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 301
Déjà vu: Third year in a row. Major potential problems with AX and silence from the management.

Hi everyone, I've been following the X-Games issues in the Club Nokia thread and now this thread. After the way attendee concerns were handled in recent years I can't say that I'm surprised at the way this has been handled but I am disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
And so they pushed the X Games info back another week. Dissapointing.
After they didn't say anything last week I expected that the same thing would happen this week. Maybe they are waiting for the X-Games to publicly publish their maps and info first so that AX staff can get a look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
O.K. here's the schedule for the ticketed events for the X-Games at the Staples Center.
Thanks for the link. I had a look at the ticket information and found these maps:

http://media.ticketmaster.com/tm/en-...4/39196s_a.gif

http://media.ticketmaster.com/tm/en-...4/43622s_a.gif

http://media.ticketmaster.com/tm/en-...4/43623s_a.gif

Here is a link to a map of the LACC for comparison:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Los+...on+Center&z=16

It looks like the X-Games will take over the area around and in front of the West Hall again. It may be that AX will only be able to use the West Hall in a limited capacity during the X-Games, e.g. the rooms upstairs and the hall at the back where registration occurred in 2008 plus the Concourse between the South and West Halls.

They could still probably use the other parts of the West Hall for Masquerade rehearsals at any time and for the Masquerade itself after the X-Games ends on Sunday.

As for the discussion around the Farmers Field development - I don't expect anything to happen with Farmers Field for several months yet. I think that the earliest they could break ground would be the end of November assuming that there were no objections or issues raised during the various consultation phases that need to happen.
Test Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #292
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature
 
Codename Otacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,302
So, the X Games are having the rally racing this year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hew3G...e_gdata_player

Same spot like last year? D:
__________________
...Oh, for crying out loud! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #293
Test Type
Registered User
 
Test Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 301
Hmmm, from the second image I posted above it looks like the Big Air ramp has moved to Chick Hearn Ct. and unless I'm mistaken it looks like they have placed bleachers and standing areas on part of the LACC - Site 1 as Freight once named it long ago.

Even if they don't have bleachers on Site 1 I think that having Big Air there would kill Chick Hearn Ct. as an LACC evacuation route while the games were in progress.

Also I think this would probably mean that the junction of L.A. Live Way and Chick Hearn Ct. would become the ticketed entrance to the games rather than further along Chick Hearn Ct. like last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Baka Zaru View Post
So, the X Games are having the rally racing this year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hew3G...e_gdata_player

Same spot like last year? D:
Yes, they will have rally racing this year. The parts of the course I've seen look similar to last year but they could have expanded it.
Test Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #294
Hakaider
Sith Happens..
 
Hakaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
It looks like the X-Games will take over the area around and in front of the West Hall again. It may be that AX will only be able to use the West Hall in a limited capacity during the X-Games, e.g. the rooms upstairs and the hall at the back where registration occurred in 2008 plus the Concourse between the South and West Halls.

Looking at the maps, I'm just wondering how do the attendees & the vendors will get inside the West Hall? Will it have to be in the back where the loading zone is located?

It looks like the West Hall entrance area will be blocked off by the X-Games.


Quote:
They could still probably use the other parts of the West Hall for Masquerade rehearsals at any time and for the Masquerade itself after the X-Games ends on Sunday.
The X-Games will continue on Sunday as well, so both the Masquerade audience & contestants may have to find an alternative way to get inside the West Hall, since the some of the West Hall areas will be blocked off as well.

The X-Games will begin even before AX starts on Friday. The only day that it will "X-Games free" is when AX is wrapping up on Monday, and having their Closing Ceremonies.


Quote:
Even if they don't have bleachers on Site 1 I think that having Big Air there would kill Chick Hearn Ct. as an LACC evacuation route while the games were in progress.

Also I think this would probably mean that the junction of L.A. Live Way and Chick Hearn Ct. would become the ticketed entrance to the games rather than further along Chick Hearn Ct. like last year.

You know, it would be most helpful, if AX does tell the attendees & the vendors how to get inside the convention center, instead of letting them figure it out for themselves how to get around the blocked off areas. (Especially with several areas of the convention center being blocked off by the X-Games. )


Quote:
Yes, they will have rally racing this year. The parts of the course I've seen look similar to last year but they could have expanded it.
The South Hall entrance was partially blocked off by the Rally course last year. If they do expand it even further, I'm just wondering how the attendees & the vendors will get inside the South Hall.



If you pause the video at 0:44, you can see that the South Hall entrance has been partially blocked off. The area where the hotel shuttles are used for the drop off/pick up point area has been blocked off as well.

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-18-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #295
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature
 
Codename Otacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Type View Post
Yes, they will have rally racing this year. The parts of the course I've seen look similar to last year but they could have expanded it.
I found another video from last year X Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qsJ...e_gdata_player

Darn, and they say it will be bigger this year.
__________________
...Oh, for crying out loud! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #296
Test Type
Registered User
 
Test Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Looking at the maps, I'm just wondering how do the attendees & the vendors will get inside the West Hall? Will it have to be in the back where the loading zone is located?

It looks like the West Hall entrance area will be blocked off by the X-Games.

The X-Games will continue on Sunday as well, so both the Masquerade audience & contestants may have to find an alternative way to get inside the West Hall, since the some of the West Hall areas will be blocked off as well.

The X-Games will begin even before AX starts on Friday. The only day that it will "X-Games free" is when AX is wrapping up on Monday, and having their Closing Ceremonies.
I was more concerned about the obstruction caused by the rally event to the front of the West Hall when I made that post and I think that many of the road closures end on Sunday night at 7pm indicating that they should be done by then.

However I hadn't realised that they were going to move Big Air onto the street in front of Site 1 (Chick Hearn Ct.). I had thought that it would be on the other side of the street but when I look at just how big Big Air is that's the only explanation that makes sense to me. Also the physical presence of bleachers, whether or not they are on Site 1 or in front of the steps of Site 1 (and I think they will be on Site 1), pretty much eliminates most of the West Hall from use.

I'm now thinking that only the South Hall, possibly the Concourse and the hall in the West Hall that we used for registration in 2008 will be available. All of these can be accessed from the rear or from the South Hall. Maybe we'll all be squashed into the South Hall and the Concourse.

Big Air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8-hBIaecw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNQY94syfyg

The first video starts with a quick flythrough of the X-Games area from last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
You know, it would be most helpful, if AX does tell the attendees & the vendors how to get inside the convention center, instead of letting them figure it out for themselves how to get around the blocked off areas. (Especially with several areas of the convention center being blocked off by the X-Games. )
Agreed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
The South Hall entrance was partially blocked off by the Rally course last year. If they do expand it even further, I'm just wondering how the attendees & the vendors will get inside the South Hall.
West Pico Blvd.? The rear of the South Hall? The lower part of South Figueroa St.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
If you pause the video at 0:44, you can see that the South Hall entrance has been partially blocked off. The area where the hotel shuttles are used for the drop off/pick up point area has been blocked off as well.
That video was giving me an error when I tried to play it.

I'm thinking that they could use West Pico Blvd. for shuttles since it will be closed to normal traffic for most of the event. However using the loading area to the rear of the South Hall may also be an option.

Last edited by Test Type : 05-18-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Test Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #297
Hakaider
Sith Happens..
 
Hakaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
I was more concerned about the obstruction caused by the rally event to the front of the West Hall when I made that post and I think that many of the road closures end on Sunday night at 7pm indicating that they should be done by then
Last year, they left most of the obstructions on overnight during the Rally course. I'm not sure if they would do it differently this year, but we'll find out soon enough.

Quote:
I'm thinking that they could use West Pico Blvd. for shuttles since it will be closed to normal traffic for most of the event. However using the loading area to the rear of the South Hall may also be an option.
Depending on how much that they are going to expand the Rally course this year, a likely candidate would be the West Pico Blvd. area, but whatever alternative area that they pick, it won't be easy for the bus drivers.


Quote:
West Pico Blvd.? The rear of the South Hall? The lower part of South Figueroa St.?
It''ll probably be the West Pico Blvd. (Unless there's some changes that are being worked out.) Based on the current map, it would mean that the AX attendees & vendors would have to take the really long way just to get inside the convention center. From looking at the current map, they may not be able to access the front entrances of the West Hall.


So in short, not only has the X-Games taken the Nokia Theatre, the entire LA Live area, the Staples Center, most of the area around most of the convention center, they also won't make it easy for attendees & vendors to get inside the convention center for the first 3 days of AX. (Not including Day 0 of AX.)


I just feel sorry for the attendees & vendors who are unaware, and will be left unaware that the X-Games will be there, when they show up on the opening day of AX. (Many of them are going to get confused and very angry, when they find out for the 1st time.)


And yes, you can pretty much toss the parking spots at the convention center out the window, if you show up late in the morning, or in afternoon. There wasn't enough parking spots at the convention center, when the X-Games was there last year. (You can imagine the chaos that will ensue this year for the parking spots at the convention center.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-18-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #298
ShinjiEva01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 143
I just hope that the Westin shuttle route is ok. Perhaps maybe they will work out something where only the AX shuttles will be allowed into the X-Games area. Though I could be wrong.
ShinjiEva01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #299
Test Type
Registered User
 
Test Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
It''ll probably be the West Pico Blvd. (Unless there's some changes that are being worked out.) Based on the current map, it would mean that the AX attendees & vendors would have to take the really long way just to get inside the convention center. From looking at the current map, they may not be able to access the front entrances of the West Hall.
I always assumed that those doors would be used as an emergency exit only except for on Day 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
So in short, not only has the X-Games taken the Nokia Theatre, the entire LA Live area, the Staples Center, most of the area around most of the convention center, they also won't make it easy for attendees & vendors to get inside the convention center for the first 3 days of AX. (Not including Day 0 of AX.)
Pretty much this. Except that the X-Games will be on on Day 0 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
And yes, you can pretty much toss the parking spots at the convention center out the window, if you show up late in the morning, or in afternoon. There wasn't enough parking spots at the convention center, when the X-Games was there last year. (You can imagine the chaos that will ensue this year for the parking spots at the convention center.)
I know a few people who live in LA and drive to AX. Parking is going to kill this event for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinjiEva01 View Post
I just hope that the Westin shuttle route is ok. Perhaps maybe they will work out something where only the AX shuttles will be allowed into the X-Games area. Though I could be wrong.
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get that school bus from the Westin to the X-Games.
Test Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #300
Hakaider
Sith Happens..
 
Hakaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Pretty much this. Except that the X-Games will be on on Day 0 too.
Yes, X-Games will be there in full force for Day 0 as well, so pregistration is going to be really "fun". (I din't count Day 0, because AX hasn't officially started on that day.)

The pre-registration line was terrible last year. Throw the X-Games into it with over 141,000 people, and some blocked access points to the convention center, and it's going to be twice the "fun".

Quote:
I know a few people who live in LA and drive to AX. Parking is going to kill this event for them.
One possible option is for them to get a hotel room, (Yah, I know it will be expensive) otherwise, it's going to be a serious fight for parking on Day 0, 1, 2, 3, and until Day 4. I can see some LA locals, getting angry, (After circling around for a long time & being unable to find parking) and saying, "Forget this", and go back home.


Quote:
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get that school bus from the Westin to the X-Games.
LOL! That's the best line that I've heard today!

Heck..Maybe they'll bring helicopters instead, and all the AX attendees & vendors will have to rappel down, (Commando style) to the convention center. (But that's only for people who aren't staying in the J.W. Marriott & the Luxe.) For the Hotel Figueroa guests, maybe the combative owner, Uno may put them in a giant catapult, and hurl them screaming into a giant safety net that's placed on top of the convention center. (Sorry-Been watching too many Monty Python stuff.)


Easy access to an anime or a sci-fi convention is always essential for a successful convention. When the main access points are blocked off, or access becomes difficult for the customers to get inside a convention center, the con stands to lose several customers. (With AX's 1.2 million loss in 2010, they can't afford to lose any more customers. Another loss like in 2010, and AX may cease to exist.)

There's 2 words that the military would say, when things are really screwed up.

1. "SNAFU"-Situation Normal. All F**** Up.

2. "FUBAR"-F***** Up Beyond All Recognition.

Right now, I don't know if it's going to become No.1 or No. 2, after looking at the X-Games maps.

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-18-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.