Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.25 average.
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #766
Shinigamiyoko
Heart-Throbbing Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I noticed that too. I think it could be a inside joke that someone put up as a "temporary" filler until the slot can be filled.

However, if it was meant to be real panel, and it's not some sort of a bad joke, (Pun intended) then it's a very, very bad idea. The CEO Marc Perez doesn't exactly have a lot of fans among many of the AX attendees, and many aren't going to show up & waste 30 minutes of their time at the panel, just to see him attempt to become a comedian. (People come to see anime, manga & cosplay at AX. People don't come to AX to see Marc Perez.) His associates may laugh at his jokes, and tell him what he always wants to hear, but if his jokes fall flat, he may get booed off stage by the audience.

Unless it's been confirmed as a real panel, I still think that it's an inside joke, and a "temporary" filler. I don't think that it's a real panel.
I can just imagine some unruly people interrupting his "jokes" and using the panel to try to vent about X Games, hotel gripes, ticket prices, etc, making it into a big awkward mess. I hope it's a placeholder for a (apparently really short) 'real' panel, or that it at least just runs peacefully.

As for the hotel issues, I'm staying at the Bonaventure, so I wasn't affected. Would be pretty flustered/upset if they suddenly up and changed my reservation to a completely different hotel at this point though.
Shinigamiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #767
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I can just imagine some unruly people interrupting his "jokes" and using the panel to try to vent about X Games, hotel gripes, ticket prices, etc, making it into a big awkward mess. I hope it's a placeholder for a (apparently really short) 'real' panel, or that it at least just runs peacefully.
Well, one other possibility is that by the end of the joke's punch line, you may hear dead silence from the audience & crickets chirping.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #768
Shinigamiyoko

Quote:
Well, one other possibility is that by the end of the joke's punch line, you may hear dead silence from the audience & crickets chirping.
That too. Super awkward way to spend 30 minutes of con time = No thank you.
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #769
wasabiprodution
Yaoi-MAN

i had a question about the main event tickets. i purchased Lisa Concert tickets then printed out the ticket thing will that be it or will i need to scan it at AX to get the real ticket like we do with the badges? hope it made sense.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_photography/

A dying scream makes no sound.
wasabiprodution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #770
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

It would be interesting if the bad joke panel really is the Roasting of Marc Perez...
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #771
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabiprodution View Post
i had a question about the main event tickets. i purchased Lisa Concert tickets then printed out the ticket thing will that be it or will i need to scan it at AX to get the real ticket like we do with the badges? hope it made sense.
Nope, the printed copy of your ticket should be all that you need.

I hope someone here reports on that 'panel' because I sure as heck have no desire to waste 30 minutes sitting through what I perceive to be a waste of valuable con time
Anime Los Angeles (Full weekend)
Anime Expo (Full weekend)

2014 Crossplays (subject to change)
Haruhi Suzumiya (winter uniform)
Mikuru Asahina (winter uniform & original maid version)
Hatsune Miku (default version & original maid version)
Minako Aino (Sailor Moon) - School uniform version (undecided)
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #772
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I would say check with the AX information desk, or when you pick up your badge at the registration desk booth, you can ask them if the print out is good enough. (Be sure to bring the printed copy with you when you are inquiring at the desk, and to print out 2-3 copies just in case, one gets lost.)

Quote:
It would be interesting if the bad joke panel really is the Roasting of Marc Perez...
If that Marc Perez panel is indeed real, and it is a "roasting", then I don't think too many fans would show up. (Or if they do, it's because they have serious issues with his SPJA leadership.) His associates would certainly show up, and they would most likely clap, cheer & laugh at any of his jokes, but many of the fans won't. (His associates may try to entice the crowd to laugh & cheer with them, but if it's not funny, the audience isn't going to laugh, no matter what they do.)

And unlike the AX forums, you can't control/censor what the fans in the audience are going to think & say when it is "Live". (You'll also have a mass exodus of fans in the audience, if they keep getting kicked out for expressing their concerns, or they aren't laughing hard enough at his jokes.)

Hmm..Maybe they could even put "Ren-tan" & Peter Ngo to be the cheerleaders in the front, and have them both hold up a big cue sign to the audience that says "Laugh", "Cheer", "Applause", or "Standing Ovation".

As I said before, the fans didn't come to AX see Marc Perez. They came to see anime, manga, cosplay, and the various anime & manga guests of honor.

A "roasting" event like this should have been held at the SPJA office, or behind closed doors. It is really a bad idea to do this in public. (I don't know if this is some sort of "damage control" thing to repair Marc Perez's image among the fans.)

But then again, there is the possibility that this panel is not real, and it was just written as a "temporary filler".

On things of a different note....

Just as a quick reminder to everyone.

If your cosplay gathering is located in the South Hall entrance, and it is on the very same time as the car rally course race, (Which will pass by the South Hall entrance) it will be really, really LOUD. It will be so LOUD, that you will not be able to hear the instructions of the cosplay gathering leaders. (At last year's X-Games, the sound of the racing cars could be heard for blocks away, and some of the crew were wearing ear plugs.)

Also, the cars leave a very big trail of dust, and that dust of smoke WILL hit the South Hall entrance.

It is strongly recommended to check the X-Games schedule, to see if there is a car rally race going on at the same time as your cosplay gathering. If your gathering is on the same time as the car race, you can also opt to move out of the South Hall entrance, and find another alternate location.

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #773
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Just a quick update...

The "Bad Jokes by the CEO" is still listed on the Day 2 AX schedule from 5:00-5:30 pm at the LACC Room 411.

It may be a real panel after all.

http://imouto.org/mirror/AX-Day-2.pdf

Hopefully, it's still some sort of a bad joke, and a temporary filler for the schedule, but it doesn't look like it right now.
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #774
Shinigamiyoko

Quote:
Just a quick update...

The "Bad Jokes by the CEO" is still listed on the Day 2 AX schedule from 5:00-5:30 pm at the LACC Room 411.

It may be a real panel after all.

http://imouto.org/mirror/AX-Day-2.pdf

Hopefully, it's still some sort of a bad joke, and a temporary filler for the schedule, but it doesn't look like it right now.
Since it kind of looks like this panel is really going to happen, I'm just hoping at this point someone goes and writes a blog post about what happens there.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the Rally Car races, Hakaider. Even though I'm not participating in any gatherings affected, I'm making sure to stay far away from that dust/smoke/noise cloud at those times.
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #775
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

We might have an issue with the bevy of photographers if they don't pick up their badges before opening their camera cases. I was looking for other information and came across the following camera policy regarding the X-Games:

Quote:
No commercial photography is allowed without a credential. Camcorders or any other audio/visual equipment is prohibited unless authorized prior to arrival. Specifically, the following equipment is not permitted: Lenses greater than three and one half inches in length, telephoto or zoom lenses of any kind, interchangeable lenses of any kind, monopods or tripods or flash equipment of any kind. All wireless equipment must be cleared by ESPN.
This is another piece of information that could cause a mess if the general public isn't aware. Did anyone at the SPJA copy & paste the X-Games event rules for people that are in the Luxe/J.W. Marriott?
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #776
Amethyst Nat

Does anyone know if there will be a cosplay repair station again this year?
Amethyst Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #777
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Since it kind of looks like this panel is really going to happen, I'm just hoping at this point someone goes and writes a blog post about what happens there.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the Rally Car races, Hakaider. Even though I'm not participating in any gatherings affected, I'm making sure to stay far away from that dust/smoke/noise cloud at those times.
No problem, Shinigamiyoko.

Yeah, that would be one heck of a blog post, that's for sure. (If it's written by a Marc Perez's associate, the article is very likely to be very sugar coated.)

I forgot to put this in here, so here's the X-Games Schedule for the Rally car race, and the other events:

X-Game Schedule:

http://espn.go.com/action/xgames/summer/2012/schedule

http://espn.go.com/action/xgames/sum...ursday-june-28

X-Games Rules & Policies:

http://espn.go.com/action/xgames/sum...st-information

Quote:
This is another piece of information that could cause a mess if the general public isn't aware. Did anyone at the SPJA copy & paste the X-Games event rules for people that are in the Luxe/J.W. Marriott?

I'm really really sorry for the outburst, Freight. I just couldn't help myself from laughing hard.

The SPJA? Printing out a copy that warns the cosplay photographers regarding the photography rules for the X-Games? And handing it out to the people staying at the Luxe/J.W. Marriott? Honestly, how likely do you think that will happen? 100% or 10%? The SPJA won't even respond to the cosplayers begging for a map from the SPJA for their cosplay gatherings, and we were left to work it out & plan it out ourselves. (So I must apologize, if I sound very skeptical.)

When I last checked the AX official website, I still haven't seen an official notice telling people about the X-Games. (This means that there are going to be some AX attendees who won't find out about the X-Games until Day 1 of AX.)

I will say this though, Hcoregamer00 has been trying hard to work this out with the other photographers. I just wish he got more support from the rest of the SPJA.

Quote:
Does anyone know if there will be a cosplay repair station again this year?
I think someone asked about that too somewhere. So far, we didn't get an answer yet.

At the AX forums, the "Cosplay Repair Station" thread hasn't gotten a response since July 18, 2011.

http://community.anime-expo.org/inde...howtopic=14891

I would recommend bringing your own cosplay repair kit, just in case we don't hear anything until Day 1 of AX.

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-19-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #778
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
We might have an issue with the bevy of photographers if they don't pick up their badges before opening their camera cases. I was looking for other information and came across the following camera policy regarding the X-Games:
I think this could also be a problem regardless if you have an AX badge. The creds that they'll look for are X-Games issued press credentials.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #779
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
I think this could also be a problem regardless if you have an AX badge. The creds that they'll look for are X-Games issued press credentials.
Actually if you are in public space they have no right to stop you, since you are not part of their private event.

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know...-photographers

Last edited by Access : 06-19-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #780
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Actually if you are in public space they have no right to stop you, since you are not part of their private event.

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know...-photographers
Since we were told we should walk through their event with our badges, they would have every right to stop us. The X-Games, as an event closed to the public without tickets, can enforce their own on-site policies. Even though we're guests, their rules would need to be followed within their areas.

I think this part of the ACLU's post would apply:

Quote:
When you are on private property, the property owner may set rules about the taking of photographs. If you disobey the property owner's rules, they can order you off their property (and have you arrested for trespassing if you do not comply).
We would be in the X-Games ticketed area, which would be legally seen as their property as long as the event occurs.

Last edited by Freight : 06-19-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote