Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.83 average.
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #796
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Talking about SPJA CEOs, Anybody going to that "jokes" panel being held by Perez?
Nope. Not me. I don't want to waste 30 minutes of my time at the con to listen to Marc Perez making bad jokes, and listen to his associates cheer for him.

Heck..The title of the panel even says "Bad Jokes By The CEO". That should tell you something right there already.

Quote:
Shouldn't he be competing in Last Comic Standing then?
Not going to happen. His comedic act will get creamed by the other amateur comedians, and his bad jokes will get pulverized. You'll even hear crickets chirping, and cosplayers fainting on the spot.

Think about it. Why would he want it at a real competition level, when you can have it at an safe environment, where your associates will always clap & cheer for you, no matter how bad your jokes get?

Quote:
That time slot could've been filled up by another fan panel...
Well, this event is far, far more important than any puny fan panel. (Yes, I am being sarcastic.)

Quote:
...not that I have some resentment from having my panel being or rejected or anything...

...maybe ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
If I may ask, what happened to your panel?

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-20-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #797
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

echoshadow has posted pictures of the X-Games are setting up at the LACC.

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...view=slideshow

Thread; http://community.anime-expo.org/inde...howtopic=15784

*Conventions for 2015*
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #798
SleepyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
I'm very confused as heck why AX is suddenly changing around their schedules within a week away from the actual event.
The simplest answer is often the correct one: The schedules haven't been yet been finalized at this point in time.

I don't think there's any intentional reason that the finalization of schedules is only happening now. I'm sure they also wanted to get this finalized much earlier.

I personally blame the inefficiency of inter-departmental communication (no proof, just my thoughts), but there's probably a whole host of reasons in addition to that.
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #799
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
From my understanding of the map posted by El Duque, it's a bridge that is not in an X-Game Ticket holder only area. The bridge looks to be a public area that was set up by the X-Games but for use by the public. It also doesn't state that you are required to present any credentials (X-Games, AX, or otherwise) to utilize the bridge.
According to the X-Games lates map here, the only bridge is across Figueroa on X-Games venue property. Conceivably, you would need some kind of credential to get into the venue grounds to get access to it.

El Duque. Could you confirm where the bridge for the JW Marriott/Luxe people is supposed to be?
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #800
SleepyD

The X-Fest, according to ESPN, is "Free and open to the public" so getting to the West Hall entrance via Georgia St (well technically, to the side of Georgia St) and around the Staples Center should be OK.

In other words, those yellow arrows you see on the map are OK for the public to traverse.

Any alternate routes would take you around:

Going west will be via LA Live Way (Formerly Cherry St) and then left on Pico to the West Hall back entrances or down further to the South Hall main entrance.

Going around the east will require you get on Flower and go south all the way to Pico, before making a right turn to the South Hall entrance.

Last edited by SleepyD : 06-20-2012 at 03:21 PM.
SleepyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #801
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
echoshadow has posted pictures of the X-Games are setting up at the LACC.

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...view=slideshow

Thread; http://community.anime-expo.org/inde...howtopic=15784
Thank you for posting that.

Those pictures tell me that there is going to be a lot of walking and maneuvering for the AX attendees at the convention center. Add over 140,00 people from the X-Games, and you are going to get a lot of human traffic to maneuver around.
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #802
SleepyD

Hm, I should create an Access to Convention Center Map....
I'll give it a shot when I get back from work tonight.
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #803
MikaMrello
An uke in denial

Alright, I just have one question. You can go into the main hall without a badge, right? just not go into certain areas or the exhibition hall.
MikaMrello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #804
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Alright, I just have one question. You can go into the main hall without a badge, right? just not go into certain areas or the exhibition hall.
Wait...Are you talking about "Ghosting"? (The act of showing up, and hanging around the convention center without intending to buy a badge during the convention.)
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #805
SleepyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMrello View Post
In the past you can. Now to keep X-Games attendees from swarming inside, there may be badge checks, particularly in the West Hall. Ideally they won't bother you if you aren't causing a ruckus, but you never know. You might have to enter via one of the back entrances if you can't get in. ^^;
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #806
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
In the past you can. Now to keep X-Games attendees from swarming inside, there may be badge checks, particularly in the West Hall. Ideally they won't bother you if you aren't causing a ruckus, but you never know. You might have to enter via one of the back entrances if you can't get in. ^^;
Ideally, it is even better not to do it in the first place.

If you can't afford to go, don't go.

"Ghosting" means that a non paying person is just taking up space that another paying customer could have used. (Especially this year, when space is at a serious premium.)

"Ghosting" also means AX loses more money. (Don't forget that AX is in a serious financial crisis right now.)

In short, "Ghosting" means a person is trying to get into the convention and enjoy AX for FREE.

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-20-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #807
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Finally some clarification on how AX is using the LACC and that person that posted pics of the setup is awesome....it's a rough taste of what it's going to be like (nightmare). I agree with Hakaider and anyone else that hasn't drank the kool aid that it's really sad that attendees have had to dig up this info on their own and that SPJA has kept us in the dark. I suspect that that might be brought up in the con gripe panel on Day 4 (if they don't remove it from the schedule because they don't want to hear our gripes...wouldn't surprise me)
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #808
SleepyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Ideally, it is even better not to do it in the first place.

If you can't afford to go, don't go.

"Ghosting" means you are just taking up space that another paying customer could have used. (Especially this year when space is at serious premium.)

"Ghosting" also means AX loses money. (Don't forget that AX is in a serious financial crisis right now.)

In short, "Ghosting" means a person is trying to get into the convention and enjoy AX for FREE.
I see your point.
I personally think it's not so black and white. I've known people who would get a hotel room, but not a pass to the convention--solely to hang out with friends (usually the ones who booked the room+have badges). You may disagree with me here, but if they're not interested in anything else at AX, why not? Apart from the convention space outside the rooms, they're not displacing people from autograph lines or panels or concerts or what have you.

At conventions, I see people genuinely curious about this anime con going on, and I delight in informing them about it. They'll wander around inside a bit, take pictures, and it'll probably be the highlight of their day. (Or excessively worry about the invasion of nerds or something)

Even if the ghosting increased the actual attendance by as much as 10% (I don't think it'll ever be that high a figure), I think the convention center can still easily handle the extra traffic. Even if the outside of the west hall is blocked off.

Of course, AX should denounce and never appear to support such activities, but this is my perspective as an attendee.
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #809
animegamer057
Jeriko Missile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
If I may ask, what happened to your panel?
It was rejected. (T_T)

It was going to be "Evangelion and Psychology: An Open Forum and Roundtable Discussion". It was supposed to be an open discussion about the Evangelion franchise and the (obvious) influences from the field of psychology. I wanted to give fans of the series a chance to express and share their knowledge about whatever psych aspects they know of and apply that towards understanding the series a little better. (And maybe attract someone towards that particular field of study.

I was going to lead discussion by giving a short 10-15min. introductory PowerPoint presentation and offering talking points for the remainder of the panel. I was also going to offer my perspective as a student nurse, sharing whatever I knew about modern clinical psychiatry, mental growth and development, and my experiences working at a psych/mental health unit.

But since that was thrown out, I guess I'll just focus on perfecting my Masquerade skit. Maybe at another con...(-3-)
  • Who the Hell I thought I was
  • and that Kamina is AWESOME incarnate
animegamer057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #810
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyD View Post
The X-Fest, according to ESPN, is "Free and open to the public" so getting to the West Hall entrance via Georgia St (well technically, to the side of Georgia St) and around the Staples Center should be OK.

In other words, those yellow arrows you see on the map are OK for the public to traverse.

Any alternate routes would take you around:

Going west will be via LA Live Way (Formerly Cherry St) and then left on Pico to the West Hall back entrances or down further to the South Hall main entrance.

Going around the east will require you get on Flower and go south all the way to Pico, before making a right turn to the South Hall entrance.
Are you sure about the yellow arrows? The way I read that is "this is how to travel to get to L.A. Live and/or the X-Games." The arrows all seem to point through "Entrances" in the green sections, which I believe are the ticketed sections of the X-Games, not the X-Fest area in pink.

I'm trying to be sure since I'm staying at the J.W. Marriott.

Also, the X-Fest doesn't seem to stretch from the street to the West Hall Entrance. Will we be allowed to at least traverse the area between the LACC and the Staples Center?

As far as ghosting, I'm of mixed feelings about it.

If someone happens by and wants to know more about what's going on, that's curiosity and no fanbase can expand by ostracizing such people, obviously.

However, to purposefully not pay for a badge and just hang out? I don't completely understand that. When you do that, the convention makes nothing, the vendors make nothing, the panels don't have a chance to expand their message, and I've spent the money for a hotel stay that I could have used on Amazon.com to buy more anime, figurines, costuming goods, etc.

I can hang out more easily at home with a group of friends, or use that money to travel and see more of them, than ghosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animegamer057 View Post
It was rejected. (T_T)

It was going to be "Evangelion and Psychology: An Open Forum and Roundtable Discussion". It was supposed to be an open discussion about the Evangelion franchise and the (obvious) influences from the field of psychology. I wanted to give fans of the series a chance to express and share their knowledge about whatever psych aspects they know of and apply that towards understanding the series a little better. (And maybe attract someone towards that particular field of study.

I was going to lead discussion by giving a short 10-15min. introductory PowerPoint presentation and offering talking points for the remainder of the panel. I was also going to offer my perspective as a student nurse, sharing whatever I knew about modern clinical psychiatry, mental growth and development, and my experiences working at a psych/mental health unit.

But since that was thrown out, I guess I'll just focus on perfecting my Masquerade skit. Maybe at another con...(-3-)

So... the CEO gets to tell jokes rather than you using anime to further a progressive intelligent discussion of an anime as a window into psycosis and its potential effects...

Makes about as much sense as anything else this year.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote