Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #76
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateur cameko View Post
I am not lashing out at everyone, just those who seem to automatically assume the worst in people in a city I've lived in for years because of one incident in another city that happened two years ago. If you have any issue with any fact I have presented, you can PM me as that option has always been there. I will not waste any more of my time trying to defend actual facts I presented, and if you want some concerns addressed by AX Staff, you can always use the official forums.

As for transporting wheelchairs, has anyone actually bothered to call the hotels to see if they offer shuttle service?

This will be my last comment on this thread.
You're oversimplifying.

We've discussed the issues that have occured at Dragon*Con, the Michael Jackson mourners, and now, Hakaider has brought forthe the same kind of issues with the SDCC. It's becoming clear that overdeveloped testosterone mixed with alcohol and the presence of cosplayers can lead to some uncomfortable situations at best, and something downright dangerous at worst.

No one is stating that there will be a fight every five minutes or that someone is going to get acosted, and that is because we're trying to figure out the best forms of prevention.

There's also been a culture of silence and mistrust when it comes to voicing concerns on the Anime Expo Forum for the last couple of years, so you'll have to excuse me, but it isn't as simple as bringing it before them. I'm pretty certain that AX Leadership, and perhaps even some of their Board of Directors, is aware of this thread, and the door is surely open for them to provide answers.

As for wheelchair access, we've only just asked the question this morning. Like anyone seeking information, I asked the people in this thread if they were aware of options. In past years, the AX has offered no shuttle service between the J.W. Marriott and the Luxe to the venue because it was simple walking distance. However, simple walking distance appears to have been cut off, and it's a viable question. Previous years calls to the hotels have yielded that the shuttles are the responsibility of the event, not the hotel, so calling them about shuttles in this case is likely to have the same response.

Something else this brings to mind is that the X-Games owns Chick Hearns, for sure, so the foot traffice across the other side of the traffic barrier in the cross-walk is going to be THICK. Wheelchairs will have an awful time trying to cross the West side of that intersection.

Open debate is certainly welcome, however, personal attacks and cuts are not. Often, the best way to come to a consensus is disagreement and discussion.

Thanks for the info, Hakaider. There has to be some kind of safety system to keep the rally participants from breaking the barrier, but I don't know what that is.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #77
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

The Anime Expo forums section will always get the most heated in debates, since it has been the one anime con that has been around for a long time and has gone through its ups and downs throughout the years. Everyone has good points to make, and nobody should take anything personal.

I never let any of the politics and drama get to me, and just have fun, which is why I'm glad to be returning this year for my 12th year in-a-row.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #78
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
I never let any of the politics and drama get to me, and just have fun, which is why I'm glad to be returning this year for my 12th year in-a-row.
I will too, but I am starting to get a bit concerned after checking again this weekend and in the main group I go to cons with, we still have double the people traveling much farther (8 hours north) to go to Fanime in San Jose as compared to the far more local Anime Expo.

While I can find another group of friends to hang out with at the con, it does make me at least slightly concerned for the future of AX.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #79
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
I will too, but I am starting to get a bit concerned after checking again this weekend and in the main group I go to cons with, we still have double the people traveling much farther (8 hours north) to go to Fanime in San Jose as compared to the far more local Anime Expo.

While I can find another group of friends to hang out with at the con, it does make me at least slightly concerned for the future of AX.
But there's so many potential reasons for that like cost, events, friends following friends, etc. You don't think it's solely over the X-Games, do you?
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #80
Nemuren
Great King of Evil

My own interest in going to AX has dropped significantly after learning that my usual group of cosplay friends probably won't go (yes, the X-Games featured at least somewhat in their decision). I haven't totally ruled out the possibility for myself, but it's getting harder by the day to get enthusiastic about it. AX is a six-hour trip for me. "Wait and see" is fine if you live nearby, but for those of us coming from far away, it'd be nice not to have so many unknowns before we make the various time/financial commitments necessary.
Nemuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #81
Fremen
Photog

It is rather disappointing that the Xgames is going on next door.
When I was at Wondercon this year, they had a Volleyball tournament going on, and unlike the x-games those weren't a bunch of drunk fans but a bunch of volleyball players. During one of my shoots, a group of these girls were trying to make fun of us and act like idiots and photobomb the shoot.
I think if a bunch of volleyball girls who aren't even drunk do that, then I wonder what a bunch of drunk guys will do.
Oh well! I'm still going to go because I have a lot of cosplayers I'm eager to shoot with...but I will be wary of any drunken aholes wandering about....
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #82
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
But there's so many potential reasons for that like cost, events, friends following friends, etc. You don't think it's solely over the X-Games, do you?
X-games has been specifically cited in enough cases -- whether it's scaled back participation (less restrictive cosplay, no cosplay, not going for as many days as planned) or complete (not going at all).

Maybe not the X-games themselves as much as just the general uncertainty created by the whole affair... the absence of solid or concrete information -- apprehension, uncertainty, etc.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #83
garfieldelric
Press Your Luck or Pass?

As a PNWer, and an AX attendee since 2009, after hearing about all this, I have a very slight reservation about coming to AX this year.

One part of me wants to go because I wouldn't miss it for the world. Another tells me not to so as to not run the risk of being a victim of a beating. But then again, with some common sense, and a watchful eye.....
garfieldelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #84
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

With the loss of our usual hotel (Wilshire Grand) and the X-games event... this year is going to be full of uncertainty.

I travel with a disabled member, luckily with a power wheelchair, but still the blocked entrances concern me. I hope the disabled services page is up soon. Last year was a pain trying to find staff member who knew where to send the disabled con goers. I don't hold out to much hope for change with this bigger concern over the SPJA's head.

Now I will be spending the next couple months working out our safety system as well as finishing my cosplay.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page
I.C.U.( Intense Cosplay Unit)

Anyone got photos of Baby Eevee, Kairi, Shippo or Usa-chan at AX13? Please send them my way.
ZellyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #85
squkyshoes
Meatbuns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremen View Post
It is rather disappointing that the Xgames is going on next door.
When I was at Wondercon this year, they had a Volleyball tournament going on, and unlike the x-games those weren't a bunch of drunk fans but a bunch of volleyball players. During one of my shoots, a group of these girls were trying to make fun of us and act like idiots and photobomb the shoot.
I think if a bunch of volleyball girls who aren't even drunk do that, then I wonder what a bunch of drunk guys will do.
Oh well! I'm still going to go because I have a lot of cosplayers I'm eager to shoot with...but I will be wary of any drunken aholes wandering about....
I was only there for one day, but from when I was there I never saw an wrong-doing of the volleyball girls. In fact, they actually seemed kind of entertained by it. Passing by one of them on her phone I overheard her saying, "I'm near Optimus Prime," which made me kinda happy.

My main concern is, if we can get around the X-Games, what is the route? Is there even a way to get out of the LACC that's NOT blocked by the road blocks? All that comes to mind is the west side of the convention center near the loading garages, and I don't know if that's meant for any kind of pedestrian travel.
This also ties into the location of the shuttle pick-ups. If it wasn't for the report of an hour-long shuttle wait (after Fanime at the Double-Tree, I really don't want to experience con-shuttling again), it sounds to me that the further hotels would be more convenient and safe than walking all the way around X-Games set-up to the closer hotels.
Ponyo
Finland
squkyshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #86
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Why do I get the feeling that we probably won't get anything in the way of maps as far as the layout goes for X Games until at least the 21st of May when the X Games starts selling tickets? I'm trying very hard to exercise patience because there is no way I'm missing AX. And as I'm a crossplayer, I fully expect some less than desirable attention from the more rowdy fans...it's not going to stop me from cosplaying. Honestly, I'm expecting good but preparing for the worst

FB: The Casual Otaku

Upcoming Cons/Events

Anime California
AkibaFest
PMX
Anime Los Angeles
Anime Expo 2017
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #87
Meepit

lord
Meepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #88
Freight

Preparedness is key. Think I'llpick up some whistles prior to the convention.

Changing gears here, but based in the information we have and the rather contentious nature of the L.A. Live plaza, is AX the type of event to continue inthe area? By that, I mean that there appears to be a lot of competition for the venues, be they concerts, conventions, sports events, or performances, and AX doesn't seem to have the draw or demand to take over the area as it would like.

Should it be moved to a more compacted area like Anaheim after the LACC contract expires? If there's a decline in registration, does Long Beach become viable again?
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #89
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
Should it be moved to a more compacted area like Anaheim after the LACC contract expires? If there's a decline in registration, does Long Beach become viable again?
Are you kidding me? No.

AX already stated that they are staying at the LACC for the long term and grow there. Anaheim already has AM2 and pretty soon Wondercon on an annual basis.

Next year, it won't be like this. I say let's just deal with it for this year.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #90
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
AX already stated that they are staying at the LACC for the long term and grow there. Anaheim already has AM2 and pretty soon Wondercon on an annual basis.
Actually AX hasn't said yet where they will be going after this year's AX ends. Their contract with LA runs out this year, so they are deciding where to go after this year's AX ends.

I think the big factor in that decision will be how LA treats them with the AX Games this year. It's no secret that having it in LA costs several times more than having it in Anaheim, and AX in it's current financial situation, needs to cut costs. (Especially with a $1.2 million debt to IDG in 2010.)

I seriously doubt that AX will want to go back in Long Beach. (AX doesn't want to go back, and neither does Long Beach wants them back.)

I'm sure AX will make that announcement whether they will return to LA, or go someplace else during the Closing Ceremonies.

WonderCon also hasn't said yet if they will be returning to Anaheim, or if they will go back to San Francisco next year.

Quote:

This also ties into the location of the shuttle pick-ups. If it wasn't for the report of an hour-long shuttle wait (after Fanime at the Double-Tree, I really don't want to experience con-shuttling again), it sounds to me that the further hotels would be more convenient and safe than walking all the way around X-Games set-up to the closer hotels.

It would also depend on where the hotel shuttles will be located this year. If the X-Games block off the drop off/pick up point at the usual West Hall area, and the alternative drop off/pick up point at the South Hall area as well, fans who are staying at the J.W. Marriott & the Luxe may actually have the better advantage. (The hotel shuttles may have to use an alternative location where the drop off/pick up point is 1-2 blocks away from the convention center.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote