Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 07-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #976
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Would a change in SPJA leadership change the odds of some guest bands desire to return to AX?
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #977
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Would a change in SPJA leadership change the odds of some guest bands desire to return to AX?

You mean if the current CEO Marc Perez would be willing to voluntarily step down from the CEO position?

You know he's going to cling on to that position for dear life, and for as long as he can. It's not for nothing that he likes to address himself as, "El Presidente". (He even wore a white sash with that "El Presidente" title in BIG & BOLD tacky letters at the Nokia Theatre stage back in 2011.)

But hey, if Britney Spears can shave her head, even stranger things can happen.

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-24-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #978
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
You mean if the current CEO Marc Perez would be willing to voluntarily step down from the CEO position?

You know he's going to cling on to that position for dear life, and for as long as he can. It's not for nothing that he likes to address himself as, "El Presidente". (He even wore a white sash with that "El Presidente" title in BIG & BOLD tacky letters at the Nokia Theatre stage back in 2011.)

But hey, if Britney Spears can shave her head, even stranger things can happen.
I do think it's a worthwhile question. If leadership is ineffectual or obstructing how the business should be run, then they need to go.

In this case, the implication is that the leadership itself may be preventing some of AX's ability to get the guests they need. If that's the case, then a change would be necessary to keep AX going.
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #979
Access

In my experience of business dealings with conservative or traditional japanese, once the damage is done, it's done, and there's no going back. If you trash the relationship, it can be very difficult or impossible to go back.

But this is only among the most traditional or conservative people/groups. Others may be perfectly willing to negotiate with the right person. Yet others may negotiate with anyone, as long as the terms are right and they have faith that the terms will be adhered to (rarer among japanese than westerners).

Note that, whether it's to rebuild relationships that have gone bad, or avoid sabotaging future ones; not all things may be possible in any given case, but it always helps to have good negotiators.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #980
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Well Courtney Kraft it now gone from AX Live according to AX Live's Facebook page.

They might as well pull the plug on this show until March when things start getting for AX. All year round, they just talk about the same stuff you would see on anime and gaming news sites. The only redeeming factor of that show post-AX is the free badge giveaway at the end. Even I got bored of Frances' figure reviews.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #981
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Well Courtney Kraft it now gone from AX Live according to AX Live's Facebook page.

They might as well pull the plug on this show until March when things start getting for AX. All year round, they just talk about the same stuff you would see on anime and gaming news sites. The only redeeming factor of that show post-AX is the free badge giveaway at the end. Even I got bored of Frances' figure reviews.
What the heck? Another host pulls out of the AX Live show again? That doesn't bode well for the future of the show.

On things on a different note...

I was reading the AX forums, and I was laughing on how some of the "regulars" there, are now defending & claiming that downtown LA is cheaper, than Anaheim.

Some of them are claiming that there's less restaurants in Anaheim and they are located farther down. And they even claim that downtown LA is cheaper than Anaheim.

Really? C'mon really? Are you kidding me? Are you talking about the same planet here?

(And of course, they also neglect to mention the food court that's located inside the Anaheim Hilton. The downtown IHOP is also way, farther down from the LA Convention Center than the IHOP from the Anaheim Convention Center. Are they even looking at the map, or are they pulling figures out of thin air?! )

Even many of the local businessmen & women who work at downtown LA will tell you that downtown LA is more expensive than Anaheim.

And where in Anaheim, are you going to find $38 a night for parking like in the J.W. Marriott? (Not even the Disneyland hotels charge that much, and they are much nicer than the J.W. Marriott.)

Here's the link:

http://community.anime-expo.org/inde...#entry5 99698

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-24-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #982
El_Duque
miyoshi82

I'll probably tune in this Thursday to see who they got to co-host with Frances and replace Courtney. Jason even stated on his Facebook that even the Brony-Intern guy who did a few eps with Frances is also gone.

I forgot to bring this up but I was talking to a former AX Staffer at Comic Con while we were waiting in line for the Viz panel. She told me she went this year and she regretted going. Other then that, when I brought up about AX going back to Anaheim, she told me the reason AX won't move back to Anaheim is that Disney banned them. She told me it was a rumor. Okay, so Disney doesn't own the ACC, the city does. But like how business in the world today goes, money talks.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015

Last edited by El_Duque : 07-25-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Unread 07-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #983
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Jason even stated on his Facebook that even the Brony-Intern guy who did a few eps with Frances is also gone.
What?! Another person left the show?

Quote:
I forgot to bring this up but I was talking to a former AX Staffer at Comic Con while we were waiting in line for the Viz panel. She told me she went this year and she regretted going. Other then that, when I brought up about AX going back to Anaheim, she told me the reason AX won't move back to Anaheim is that Disney banned them. She told me it was a rumor. Okay, so Disney doesn't own the ACC, the city does. But like how business in the world today goes, money talks.
That's not what I heard. I heard that it is due to a certain person/people on the top who wants to stay in LA. Also, last I heard, Disney has no interest whatsoever in supposedly banning AX from the Anaheim Convention Center. (Wondercon, and AM2 also was held at the ACC, and Disney didn't care.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-25-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #984
Freight

Last time I was in Anaheim was for AM2 last year.

I walked from the hotel to the nearer of two IHOPs. Even walking with a 7-year-old and a stroller, I'd say that was a 6 minute walk. It was more than fair. Tack on about another 4 minutes if you're coming from the Marriott or Hilton.

There's a good amount of options in decent walking range for food, and the hotels are definately comparable as far as rate. Parking does still cost about 1/2 of what Los Angeles does. There's even a Target in short driving range.

Set all of that aside, and the Anaheim Convention Center is an area with two nearby hotels, so gatherings are a bit easier to hash out with everything in a more compacted space.

About the only true advantage Los Angeles has is that, IF cosplayers are willing to wander a bit from the LACC, there's a lot of great places to take pictures.
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #985
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Other then that, when I brought up about AX going back to Anaheim, she told me the reason AX won't move back to Anaheim is that Disney banned them. She told me it was a rumor. Okay, so Disney doesn't own the ACC, the city does. But like how business in the world today goes, money talks.
I think that's confused with the episode in 2000 with the Disney hotel.
I wasn't there but I did hear a lot about it second-hand. You can search the web to find more.
ie. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...0/anime-expo/2
I remember Peter posted a statement on this too http://www.jlist.com/response.html. Whatever happened, I don't think the disneyland hotel wanted them back. But it's a non-issue today because it's not that size convention anymore.

And anyone who has been to both knows that Anaheim is considerably less expensive than Los Angeles in just about every way -- hotel stay, food, parking, etc. Unless you are going to Disneyland... maybe that's the cause of the confusion?
Unread 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #986
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I think that's confused with the episode in 2000 with the Disney hotel.
I wasn't there but I did hear a lot about it second-hand. You can search the web to find more.
ie. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...0/anime-expo/2
I remember Peter posted a statement on this too http://www.jlist.com/response.html. Whatever happened, I don't think the disneyland hotel wanted them back. But it's a non-issue today because it's not that size convention anymore.

I believe the staffer who told El_Duque, was confusing it with the Disneyland hotel incident of 2000.

I remember that big hoopla when AX was held at the Disneyland hotel in 2000. (It was not really the greatest of ideas to hold AX at the Disneyland hotel.) Back then, the SPJA thought that AX was still small enough to fit inside the Disneyland hotel. (It was a big mistake, because the hotel just simply wasn't big enough.) The Disneyland hotel staffers wanted to keep the hotel as "family oriented" as much as possible, and there were a number of incidents at AX that didn't help to keep that image.

For one, there were some vendors selling "hentai" materials, and some of the cosplay costumes were anything, but "family oriented". (Some of the guests who were staying at the hotel, and were not a part of AX, were shocked to see some of the revealing costumes. Some of those costumes were definitely not rated "G" or "PG".) There were a few cosplayers who openly poked fun of the Disney characters, and one female cosplayer had a stuffed Mickey Mouse impaled on a spear. (Complete with fake blood.) The Disneyland hotel security & staffers tried to get some of the cosplayers to remove the mutilated & decapitated Disney stuffed characters from their props, and this didn't endear some of the cosplayers with the Disneyland hotel security. (Needless to say, the Disneyland hotel security, and the cosplayers/attendees didn't always get along.)

Many of the hotel's trash bins were also piled up to the brim with trash everywhere, because the Disneyland hotel's maintenance personnel couldn't keep up at the sheer number of people. (Back then, the Disneyland hotel was not designed to hold 9,700 people in the area. Remember, this was before the Disney California Adventure park, Downtown Disney District, and the Disney Grand Californian hotel were built.)

It also became very obvious that year, that the Disneyland hotel wasn't big enough to hold the 9,700 attendees. The complaints from the attendees reached an all time high, and it became obvious that it wasn't the best idea to hold AX at the Disneyland hotel.

Needless to say, the Disneyland hotel didn't invite them AX back. (Note: It is the Disneyland hotel, and not the Anaheim Convention Center.)

Peter Payne, the owner of "J-List", and one of the vendors at AX 2000 also talked about the clash of anime culture V.S. Disneyland's heavy emphasis on "family oriented" during the Disneyland hotel 2000 fiasco in his rebuttal to the then SPJA CEO Mike Tatsugawa.

http://www.jlist.com/response.html

Quote:
From Plastic Little to the shower scene in Macross: Do You Remember Love? to nearly all dojinshi, anime contains a certain "thrill" that Disney can never give us. Of course these elements would be alive and well at Anime Expo 2000, as they have been at all past Anime Expo's, and the fact that not a single person from Disney involved with the convention knew that such themes are ubiquitous in anime today speaks volumes about that company and its distance from fans. Mike could have saved us all a lot of trouble by taking the time to explain to whoever his contact at the hotel was that, in anime, there are some themes that might make some at Disney slightly uncomfortable, and they should be aware of these beforehand so they didn't choke when Kisaragi Honey-chan transformed, nude, into Cutey Honey. It is clear to me that none of the AX staff ever tried to "break" to Disney the fact that this convention wasn't just another convention -- they were probably too worried about Disney canceling their event. Therefore the overall blame for the problems at AX2K lies with the SPJA for not foreseeing this situation and making contingency plans, or for changing their stated policies beforehand (other than a special "we are not responsible, whatever happens" waiver we were made to sign) so that problems like could have been avoided.

Keep in mind, that Peter Payne's "J-List" company sells a huge amount of "hentai" stuff back then, (And still do today) and that didn't exactly endear him with the Disneyland staff who wanted to keep it very much, "family oriented".

But AX was able to come back to the Anaheim Convention Center for 4 more years, (2003-2006) after the Disneyland hotel fiasco in 2000, so it was pretty obvious that Disney didn't try or cared to stop AX from holding it at the Anaheim Convention Center.

Obviously today, there is no absolute way that AX at it's current size would even fit the Disneyland hotel, so it's a non issue if AX would ever return to the Disneyland hotel.

Quote:

And anyone who has been to both knows that Anaheim is considerably less expensive than Los Angeles in just about every way -- hotel stay, food, parking, etc. Unless you are going to Disneyland... maybe that's the cause of the confusion?
That may be a obvious fact, even for many locals working in downtown LA, but some of those regulars there at the AX forums will say just about anything, to defend staying at LA. I'm sure if AX goes back to Long Beach, those same people will turn around, and say that Long Beach is the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread.

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-25-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Unread 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #987
Access

Though you never know, not that AX is going to ever shrink back to the point where it could be held in a hotel; but if the Conji acquisition is SPJA's method of 'growth' (versus growing AX itself), or a prelude of things to come, you might see more SPJA properties being held in hotels across the nation. Though definitely not the Disneyland hotel or resort.

Last edited by Access : 07-25-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Unread 07-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #988
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
you might see more SPJA properties being held in hotels across the nation.
What other properties are we talking about here besides Anime Conji?

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 07-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #989
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
What other properties are we talking about here besides Anime Conji?
Shrug... anyone's guess is as good as mine really. It was honestly just a thought.

I said it a while back, models for growth, there are different ways to measure growth and growth need not be in increase in attendance for AX. AX may stagnate or even begin to shrink slightly but the SPJA could still grow. Growth may mean acquiring other conventions across the nation and running those, it may mean running other events in the same area throughout the year, it may mean hosting events, guests, panels at other conventions they don't actually own, it may mean a lot of things.

I mean I can name several local conventions that they would most certainly not be able to acquire, but the reverse would be considerably more difficult.
Unread 07-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #990
DuckhuntPRO
Spam Musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I believe the staffer who told El_Duque, was confusing it with the Disneyland hotel incident of 2000.

I remember that big hoopla when AX was held at the Disneyland hotel in 2000. (It was not really the greatest of ideas to hold AX at the Disneyland hotel.) Back then, the SPJA thought that AX was still small enough to fit inside the Disneyland hotel. (It was a big mistake, because the hotel just simply wasn't big enough.) The Disneyland hotel staffers wanted to keep the hotel as "family oriented" as much as possible, and there were a number of incidents at AX that didn't help to keep that image.

For one, there were some vendors selling "hentai" materials, and some of the cosplay costumes were anything, but "family oriented". (Some of the guests who were staying at the hotel, and were not a part of AX, were shocked to see some of the revealing costumes. Some of those costumes were definitely not rated "G" or "PG".) There were a few cosplayers who openly poked fun of the Disney characters, and one female cosplayer had a stuffed Mickey Mouse impaled on a spear. (Complete with fake blood.) The Disneyland hotel security & staffers tried to get some of the cosplayers to remove the mutilated & decapitated Disney stuffed characters from their props, and this didn't endear some of the cosplayers with the Disneyland hotel security. (Needless to say, the Disneyland hotel security, and the cosplayers/attendees didn't always get along.)

Many of the hotel's trash bins were also piled up to the brim with trash everywhere, because the Disneyland hotel's maintenance personnel couldn't keep up at the sheer number of people. (Back then, the Disneyland hotel was not designed to hold 9,700 people in the area. Remember, this was before the Disney California Adventure park, Downtown Disney District, and the Disney Grand Californian hotel were built.)

It also became very obvious that year, that the Disneyland hotel wasn't big enough to hold the 9,700 attendees. The complaints from the attendees reached an all time high, and it became obvious that it wasn't the best idea to hold AX at the Disneyland hotel.

Needless to say, the Disneyland hotel didn't invite them AX back. (Note: It is the Disneyland hotel, and not the Anaheim Convention Center.)

Peter Payne, the owner of "J-List", and one of the vendors at AX 2000 also talked about the clash of anime culture V.S. Disneyland's heavy emphasis on "family oriented" during the Disneyland hotel 2000 fiasco in his rebuttal to the then SPJA CEO Mike Tatsugawa.

http://www.jlist.com/response.html

Keep in mind, that Peter Payne's "J-List" company sells a huge amount of "hentai" stuff back then, (And still do today) and that didn't exactly endear him with the Disneyland staff who wanted to keep it very much, "family oriented".

But AX was able to come back to the Anaheim Convention Center for 4 more years, (2003-2006) after the Disneyland hotel fiasco in 2000, so it was pretty obvious that Disney didn't try or cared to stop AX from holding it at the Anaheim Convention Center.

Obviously today, there is no absolute way that AX at it's current size would even fit the Disneyland hotel, so it's a non issue if AX would ever return to the Disneyland hotel.

That may be a obvious fact, even for many locals working in downtown LA, but some of those regulars there at the AX forums will say just about anything, to defend staying at LA. I'm sure if AX goes back to Long Beach, those same people will turn around, and say that Long Beach is the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread.
Man I remember AX2000, this makes me feel real old =(. But its funny how can we recall bad events and albeit even laugh about them now. The hotels were exteremely expensive and by that I meant the Disneyland Hotel.

I remember staying there and waking up the following morning with a letter next to my door by Disney offices saying to not confuse people in costume as Disney characters. Like people could confuse a guy in a suit carrying a giant cross with Goofy...

But it wasn't a good experience. I think I was helping out a Orbit Comics back in the day and they told us to take down any hentai products. Apparently a kid got inside the dealers hall and wandered to the naughty booths and told fessed up to the parents.

Money does talk and Disney, which necessarily does not own the ACC, has enough clout to say how things are going to operate in THEIR city. Anaheim is the city that Mickey built...

But recalling everything that happened, I can only laugh. Those were great memories! I remember the Starbucks being sold out of coffee at 10:00AM. As in ALL of their inventory GONE. I guess they underestimated AX but at least they closed up early... made a ton of money and called it a day.
DuckhuntPRO is offline   Reply With Quote